Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by DNO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TZ Under Playfield (resized).jpg
TZ Playfield (resized).jpg
TZ Screws (resized).JPG

#1 9 months ago

Like most folks, I'm not the original owner of my TZ machine. I noticed two odd flathead screwheads on the playfield, in the left spiral ramp. (see photo below) A few times, but not all that often, a ball will get stuck on the far one. It's probably become magnetized due to its proximity to the magnet there, but that's just a guess. Seems weird to have exposed screwheads in the path of the ball, but I don't have another copy of the machine to compare it with. Are these supposed to be here? They're holding the big solenoid that drives the ball diverter. Thanks in advance.

Bob

TZ Screws (resized).JPG

#2 9 months ago

No, that's from a previous hack. Unfortunately nothing goes through the playfield there which is why is gets stuck...

TZ Playfield (resized).jpg
#3 9 months ago

Yeah, that's about what I expected. So, without those screws, how is the big solenoid for the ball diverter held up?

#4 9 months ago
Quoted from Claster:

how is the big solenoid for the ball diverter held up?

Screws below the playfield hold the bracket to the playfield.

LTG : )

#5 9 months ago

Here's what it looks like normally in that area.

TZ Under Playfield (resized).jpg
#6 9 months ago

Sigh. So, curses on the idiot who made such an inept repair, and even more curses on the crook who sold me the machine without disclosing this to me. I guess I could use some plastic wood to smooth over those screw heads, and a little paint to make it look close to what it should.

Damn.

#7 9 months ago
Quoted from Claster:

Sigh. So, curses on the idiot who made such an inept repair, and even more curses on the crook who sold me the machine without disclosing this to me. I guess I could use some plastic wood to smooth over those screw heads, and a little paint to make it look close to what it should.
Damn.

And then hope you never need to access that bracket.
Who sold you the game?

#8 9 months ago
Quoted from Claster:

Damn.

I'm thinking something simple like mylar might prevent ball hangups.

#9 9 months ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I'm thinking something simple like mylar might prevent ball hangups.

I would go with mylar too before using something that would probably make it look worse.

#10 9 months ago

I am also wondering if pop bumper screws could be a good fix as you could get them fairly flush with the surface. Mylar on top is also a good idea.

Sorry to see this - no reason for hacks like this.

#11 9 months ago

*shudder*

Freakin' operators..

#12 9 months ago
Quoted from Claster:

Damn.

It sucks, but don't beat yourself up. With everything happening on a playfield, things sometimes get missed. It's even possible the previous owner did not know either. It's just a lesson learned, but as others said, I wouldn't get too crazy altering anything as it might look worse. Personally, I would paint the head of the screws so they don't stand out and then put mylar over them.

#13 9 months ago

Yeah, that's the plan. And it's very low on the priority list. I've played the thing over a thousand times and the ball got stuck there only twice. A little plastic wood to smooth it over (the screws are a bit recessed), some gentle sanding, a little paint to make it look normal, and a small mylar patch will serve the main objective, which is to keep it from pissing me off! In fact, if I use the white Plastic Wood, I'll only need one color of paint, the midnight blue. Thanks, all. You guys are amazing.

#14 9 months ago

I had my Tz strip the wood and was not able to really get screws to grab w the normal methods.
What I did was just rotate the solenoid bracket a bit, and screw into fresh wood, worked fine, still does, location play.
If you did the same, you could just remove those screws and repair the holes.

#15 9 months ago
Quoted from DNO:

I had my Tz strip the wood and was not able to really get screws to grab w the normal methods.
What I did was just rotate the solenoid bracket a bit, and screw into fresh wood, worked fine, still does, location play.
If you did the same, you could just remove those screws and repair the holes.

just fill the holes with toothpicks or bamboo skewers. that will fix the original holes

#16 9 months ago
Quoted from Marvin:

just fill the holes with toothpicks or bamboo skewers. that will fix the original holes

My go-to is the Q-tip shaft, I tried and it just kept stripping and coming loose again. Wood glue gets rock hard and takes too long on location.
Grabbing fresh wood worked well, and it's under the pf anyway.
At least I didn't go the route the op has to deal with.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 14.95
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 14.95
$ 399.95
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carolina Forest, SC
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pleasanton, CA
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 279.95
£ 58.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside