• (no nvram) 5 votes
    31%

(16 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20190916-235800 (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Greatings great community.
I have all my pinballs with nvram, except tz and tom.
Long time thinking to install nvram on those.

Tz will not show real time in clock in attract mode and tom will not start midnight madness at midnight.

Hmmmm I think I'm about to install them nvram. But wanted to hear some thoughts about it, I'm case I change my mind!

#2 4 years ago

When installing NVRaM affects features of the game it's probably best to avoid. Locate the batteries inside the coin door for easier inspections if you are worried about leakage.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from arqpuebla:

Tz will not show real time in clock in attract mode

This is true in the sense that the RTC runs when the power is on but it does not run when the power is not on. The TZ clock displays whatever the RTC returns.

Quoted from arqpuebla:

tom will not start midnight madness at midnight.

This is NOT true. Theatre of Magic does not have what most people think of as "midnight madness". That's a feature of Dwight Sullivan software. The RTC has nothing to do with "midnight madness" on Theatre of Magic.

#4 4 years ago

How long do you leave your games on?

I switch my TZ on when I'm going to play it, and turn it off afterwards. There have been a few occasions when I've been playing with friends that I've turned it on and left it in attract mode while we've played on the other pins, but that's an exception to the norm.

It is a pretty funky feature, but it takes a good couple of minutes (maybe more?) to kick in, and if you just turn your machine on to play it then maybe you won't even notice it?

That said - I don't have NVRAM, lithium batteries on a remote battery pack are not that big a deal to change once a year.

#5 4 years ago

I would rather sacrifice midnight madness to avoid alkaline damage.

#6 4 years ago

Def nvram. Actual midnight midnight madness will almost never occur anyways, and may be more confusing than anything. Protect that mpu!

#7 4 years ago

Like others have said - Midnight Madness on TOM isn't time-based, it's a mode.
For TZ, having the clock running while the game is off is a necessity for me - I DO turn my gameroom on in its entirety when playing other games, so the clock displays the time quite often.

On TOP of that, IMHO you should be checking those batteries whenever you clean and wax your game - this should be a LOT more than 'once yearly' - unless you play your games VERY infrequently.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

How long do you leave your games on?
I switch my TZ on when I'm going to play it, and turn it off afterwards. There have been a few occasions when I've been playing with friends that I've turned it on and left it in attract mode while we've played on the other pins, but that's an exception to the norm.
It is a pretty funky feature, but it takes a good couple of minutes (maybe more?) to kick in, and if you just turn your machine on to play it then maybe you won't even notice it?
That said - I don't have NVRAM, lithium batteries on a remote battery pack are not that big a deal to change once a year.

Same as you!! Just turn them on just to play and then turn off. In fact I hardly play them, i enjoy more restoring them than playing. (Weird) .

So , nvram then!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

This is NOT true. Theatre of Magic does not have what most people think of as "midnight madness". That's a feature of Dwight Sullivan software. The RTC has nothing to do with "midnight madness" on Theatre of Magic.

Interesting!! Didn't know!! Thanks so, nvram to tom then, I saw that bad info on a webpage that's sells nvram , anypin I guess.

I just use ramptron Chinese ones, and I do all the electronics.

#10 4 years ago

I have NVRam in a few of the pins. The couple that doesn't have the NVRAM and I installed Lith batteries.

Just about a year ago I had some spare alkaline batteries set aside for flashlights. New, good name brand that had a shelf date ages from now. Leaked in the sealed package. Whatever you do, don't install alkaline.

On a side note, I have a desoldering gun - sure makes pulling a chip out a lot easier.

Didn't someone make a RTC for pins?

#11 4 years ago

Hmmm 1470 days
Time passed by quickly.
Tomorow will check those batteries, they are on a remote holder :O

Screenshot_20190916-235800 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190916-235800 (resized).png
#12 4 years ago

TZ no, TOM why not.

#13 4 years ago

Nvram in most of my games or a remote battery pack mounted the whole way down inside the cab by the coin door with lithium batteries.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
$ 29.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-and-tom-to-nvram-or-to-not-nvram-that-s-the-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.