Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by McPin54
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

screenshot.131.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Really enjoying the TZ. Thought about TAF but now worried it's just an older version with less. What do folks think that have cycled through both.
    I am either adding a TAF or totally different direction and save the spot and money for new Stern, new Lawler or Remake.

#2 9 years ago

Both are amazing games. They have many similar features I wouldn't consider owning both unless I absolutely loved them both or was a huge Pat Lawlor fan. They are unique in a few ways of course but I can't help but notice that the things that make them great are very similar between the two.

#3 9 years ago

So torn , double down or go in different directions

#4 9 years ago

We already talked about this mr lol however if u can score the one we were talking about for a killer price 7k shipped maybe then id do it bc u wont lose out if u need wanna sell soon after. However there are tons of other great w/b pins that are way different that I would go for If I had room / money lol

#5 9 years ago

Just needed to be talked down one more time : )

#6 9 years ago

They are the perfect pinball pair in my book. Alike in some ways, but different in many others. I never see either leaving personally, the two best machines in pinball!

screenshot.131.jpgscreenshot.131.jpg

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

the two best machines in pinball!

Agreed!

#8 9 years ago

Argh killing me. Have to decide to put funds on TAF or Next stern release.

#9 9 years ago

If you had a small location then i would say pick one but you got such a nice 15 pin collection different styles of gameplay.

I say get the TAF just cause you'll keep thinking about it.

#10 9 years ago

Get the TAF. Keep it for a while, and if you find it too duplicative then sale it. TAF's dont seem to sit long on the market..

#11 9 years ago

I'd get TAF. If the next Stern release looks great then wait a year until code is complete and then sell TAF or another game and pick one up HUO. I'm sure you'd be able to sell TAF for close to what you have in it (if not more). TAF is always in demand. There's no real reason to buy a NIB Stern right away until you see where the code is headed.

#12 9 years ago

On the other hand get that addams so I can come play it lol. Seriously tho there are a ton of other great pins u cld get for alot cheaper that are just is great . U can get 2 or 3 great pins for that one addams which is something to think about also.

#13 9 years ago

I think TAF is a better game than TZ.... And I own TZ. I'd get it if I were you. They're not hard to sell if it's not for you.

#14 9 years ago

Another vote for TAF over TZ

#15 9 years ago
    #16 9 years ago

they are the dynamic duo .

#17 9 years ago

I own TZ and have owned TAF. TZ is a much better game, deeper, more shot variety and harder. TAF is a 2 shot game, bear ramp to chair. Yes, there are other shots, but this is the main objective to tour the mansion. Of course, the callouts in TAF are fantastic and the jackpot is about the best out there.

Newer sterns are better IMO, which I know is not worth much.

#18 9 years ago

We own both... I personally like playing TZ more as it's a deeper game IMO. Overall, I'd guess our TZ gets played by family members about 3-4x more than our HUO TAF.

Guests? They seem pretty split between the two machines.

In the end, you can't go wrong with either... but I'm guessing TZ will keep you entertained longer.

#19 9 years ago

My vote is for the purchase of TAF. It as a great game and plenty of difference between it and TZ. I have them both and often play one after the other. I never feel let down and I doubt you would either.

#20 9 years ago

I've been thinking the same thing. I want to get a true great classic for my next pin. TAF and TZ jump right to the top of that list. I really like TZ but when they are side by side I play TAF more. I know TZ is deep but TAF has such a great, fun layout and better flow. I do prefer the theme, sounds, and art of TZ, though. TZ is also the pin I remember most from back in the day.

My biggest problem is price. For the money that both go for in decent shape, you are close to nib or almost new territory. Tough call.

#21 9 years ago

Well I made the call and let the TAF go. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks !!!

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Argh killing me. Have to decide to put funds on TAF or Next stern release.

Go with the proven winner: TAF!

The next Stern release will be easy to get later....after code matures.

Edit:

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Well I made the call and let the TAF go. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks !!!

Too late.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

You won't regret it.

Really? You are promising that he won't regret buying a pin that nobody has seen or played yet?

#25 9 years ago

I think he means having both TAF and TZ vs going with a newer game.

If I did not go TZ I would have gone TAF. Playing it on iPad has changed my mind.

It's also still there. I could wake up tomorrow or get drunk enough tonight to buy it. The seller is an exceptional guy which makes me want to buy it from him even more.

#26 9 years ago

Owned both

had 1 TZ - loved it = Miss It
    had 4 TAF - loved it = but others came up and it left and returned (wash n repeat)

when you nail shots:
    shoot ramp then electric chair
    - Mode -
    -Mode-
    - Mode -
    - Mode -
    *50 MILLION*

but same for TZ
    shoot ramp then slot machine
    - mode -

BUT TZ offers more IMO
    magna field
    power-ball
    gumball machine / clock

both incredible games and Pat Lawlor is my favorite designer

in time both will return

tough choice but TAF very very mass produced and still out there

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I think he means having both TAF and TZ vs going with a newer game.

Got ya. Still not something that I would guarantee, but at least I understand that logic.

#28 9 years ago

I was kind of hoping you'd buy TAF, get tired of it in a year or two, and perhaps by then I could buy it from you! I can dream...

#29 9 years ago

TAF - best machine ever made.
    TZ - second best machine ever made.

If I go down to two (hahaha haha hah) those would be them.

#30 9 years ago

They don't play much alike at all. The only real similarity IMO is that they are both jam packed with "stuff". I personally like TZ quite a bit more but honestly think they are both great. I regret selling both but regret TZ more, probably because it's been gone longer.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

tough choice but TAF very very mass produced

13K vs 20K, but have high numbers. More TAF as a percentage have been played to death based on seeing more rough tafs, so i'm guessing the actual # of TZ out there vs TAF is closer than the orginal 2:3 ratio...

#32 9 years ago

TAF is a fun game and I do not think it feels anything like TZ. A few playfield similarities but they feel very different when you play them. Neither are my favorites though. I would go with a different 90's B/W. For less money Congo, Shadow, CFTBL, WH2O and a few others have my staying power in my opinion.

#33 9 years ago

One last post... TAF or Sopranos is a laugher. Sopranos is fun for a handful of games but after that... yawn.

#34 9 years ago

I own both. I always find myself on TAF. Just more fun and smoother game play. Dont get me wrong, TZ is awesome, and I really enjoy it. Twilight zone is alot of stop and go, and maybe if you haven't watched the show, you may feel like it doesn't flow.

Also keep in mind the average person who comes to your house to hang out will be lost in the sauce (or zone) with TZ. TAF will keep people of all ages happy.

#35 9 years ago

Anyways plan on owning both, they will compliment each other nicely.

AFM, MM, LOTR, IJ should also be considered.

#36 9 years ago

All good feedback thanks.

#37 9 years ago

From a "toys" perspective, I say go with TZ. Let's be honest, non-pinheads are usually drawn in by moving parts and fun looking toys. TAF has the bookcase (which is terribly designed), playfield magnets that can be a total nuisance, and The Thing. TZ has the working gumball machine (which spits out the Powerball!), the Power playfield, lane magnets that stop the ball, and if you want, you can get a slot machine mod for the railing that the ball actually rolls through and spins the reels!

Yes, TZ is a lot of "stop and go", but this is actually a good thing for more experienced players.

Both great games, but I say go with TZ.

#38 9 years ago

Personally I can't get into either TAF or TZ. There isn't really a Lawlor pin I like however. Something about the pop placements and the inlanes that drive me nuts.

I'm in the slim minority though

#39 9 years ago

I'd buy the TAF.

TZ and TAF in a collection is just double the pleasure and double the fun.

#40 9 years ago

TZ would be your best bet I own both love them both but TZ is consistently number 1 or 2 on the top 100 for a reason it's freakin awesome!!!!!!

#41 9 years ago

Buy both if you can the 2 best games ever made and only going up in price!! 2 Pat lawlor GEMS!!!!

#42 9 years ago

I agree, both are awesome. What I believe is that for entry level pin people and those that don't play much TAF draws people in quicker and keeps them at the machine longer. You really have to give TZ more time and then your hooked. Can't go wrong with either machine.

#43 9 years ago

Also, you have a very nice collection. Anything will fit in that one!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-and-taf-or-get-something-different and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.