Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by semicolin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

72E36D4D-37FB-45AB-BAB6-23C04C332CDB (resized).jpeg
D4B56455-8096-41B8-844B-F20C13424CC1 (resized).jpeg
9CE785C2-B7AC-46E3-9BA7-4CDC64D41357.jpeg
1022CA3F-D937-4A30-A711-E8A0553EA4E5.jpeg

#2 1 year ago

From your photos I like the TZ CPR, the blue highlights are an improvement over what looks like a washed out original translite. Unfortunately, I don't think much of the Meteor, without the green the Meteor glass looks odd.

#3 1 year ago

Green? I don't think I've ever seen a meteor with a green layer. It's not a problem with the CPR reproduction: I've played a dozen different meteoprs and I've never seen any green on the backglass at all.

Added 14 months ago:

Crossed out because I'm totally wrong. There is a strikingly deep green layer present when the original glass is backlit that is entirely missing from the CPR reproduction.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Green? I don't think I've ever seen a meteor with a green layer. It's not a problem with the CPR reproduction: I've played a dozen different meteoprs and I've never seen any green on the backglass at all.

Your first pic of Meteor has a horrid green reflection (or bleedthrough) in the mirrored reflective layer, so that's what he is commenting on.

Keep in mind, too - the missing "CREDITS" label under the credit counter, and other small art changes. CPR got an early-run glass, and didn't do any other research, assuming it was 'good'. Just a criticism on my side, individual folks may not care - - especially considering the condition of 99.9% of the glasses out there..!

1 week later
#5 1 year ago

I take what I said about the green back... I turned the lights off, fired up my meteor with original backglass, and sure enough the green comes through real vivid. I'd never even noticed it before. CPR missed it *entirely* in their reproduction.

I'm not sure what to do with this now. I just spent $500 on a backglass that is missing an entire colour. :/

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

From your photos I like the TZ CPR, the blue highlights are an improvement over what looks like a washed out original translite. Unfortunately, I don't think much of the Meteor, without the green the Meteor glass looks odd.

Now that I see this missing green layer I can't unsee it. It's eating me up. All it took was backlighting my original backglass and BOOM - there's the green. Seeing it missing from the reproduction makes my soul ache.

#7 1 year ago

Again, I dont think the green is intentional. I think it's the mirrored backing leaking light. (As opposed to my previous thought above.) I see it in mine, but ONLY where I increased the backboard lighting (from incandescent to LEDs).

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Again, I dont think the green is intentional. I think it's the mirrored backing leaking light. (As opposed to my previous thought above.) I see it in mine, but ONLY where I increased the backboard lighting (from incandescent to LEDs).

It's not. If you look at the heads and detail on the rockets as well as the main asteroid it's clear that there is a forest green ink layer. Those parts are not mirrored, and you can see this most obviously under the METEOR text which is not. The large asteroid is only partially mirrored, and the parts that are not are green.

I have exactly the same issue as OP. Here are mine:
Original:Original
CPR:CPR

#9 1 year ago

Both of the CPR examples in the OP look like absolute shit when you compare them to the originals.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from semicolin:

It's not. If you look at the heads and detail on the rockets as well as the main asteroid it's clear that there is a forest green ink layer. Those parts are not mirrored, and you can see this most obviously under the METEOR text which is not. The large asteroid is only partially mirrored, and the parts that are not are green.
I have exactly the same issue as OP. Here are mine:
Original:[quoted image]
CPR:[quoted image]

Interesting!
Can you take a pic of the original WITHOUT it being backlit?

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Interesting!
Can you take a pic of the original WITHOUT it being backlit?

Yeah, I put a fairly extensive post back in the main CPR backglass thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-backglasses-added-at-cpr/page/3#post-4955295

Here is some detail of the front-facing ink layer with no backlighting and the glass on a black surface:Original Green

And the comparison from CPR: New Blue

I'm super bummed out about this.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Yeah, I put a fairly extensive post back in the main CPR backglass thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-backglasses-added-at-cpr/page/3#post-4955295
Here is some detail of the front-facing ink layer with no backlighting and the glass on a black surface:[quoted image]
And the comparison from CPR: [quoted image]

Awesome, I saw that now!
I'm going to go downstairs in a minute and take a look at mine.. From the pics you posted, it looks like they used a dark blue/grey color instead of a dark grey/green color..

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from semicolin:

semicolin have you been in contact with CPR outside of pinside about this?

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

Both of the CPR examples in the OP look like absolute shit when you compare them to the originals.

That's a bold statement to make without any kind of specificity.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from dri:

semicolin have you been in contact with CPR outside of pinside about this?

Given their responses in the other thread that I linked back to, it seems quite clear that they feel that differences in colour aren't their concern, as apparently their very rare original was blue.

It's unreasonable for me to expect that they'll redo the art. That only leaves the option of requesting a refund, and, well, I'd rather have a technically poor but cosmetically perfect reproduction than a roached original.

So no, haven't said anything off pinside to them. I'm not sure what I can ask them to do. Pinside seemed like the appropriate place to comment given that my original review of their meteor glass was the key post in that thread, and I wanted others to know of the issue and spare them my disappointment. You and I aren't the only ones who have it.

Have you?

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

That's a bold statement to make without any kind of specificity.

Um, look at the provided pictures. The CPR examples are blue, washed-out messes. I think the differences are glaringly obvious.

After looking at the provided pictures, do you feel as though they look good?

#17 1 year ago

I like my TZ. Will post pics this weekend.

#18 1 year ago

I have not. I'm in the same situation as you. I have two roached original Meteor backglasses and I intend to buy the playfield when it comes out (already stenciled the cabinet) and I don't want the backglass to stand out as a sore thumb. Did your backglass misalign as bad as mine? I need to re-seat all my displays to put them in the center of the windows.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

I like my TZ. Will post pics this weekend.

The TZ backglass is more of a matter of taste and preference. My old translite is a bit washed out but you can totally see that there's a broader spectrum of colors in the original vs the backglass that is totally over saturated with blue tones.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from dri:

I have not. I'm in the same situation as you. I have two roached original Meteor backglasses and I intend to buy the playfield when it comes out (already stenciled the cabinet) and I don't want the backglass to stand out as a sore thumb. Did your backglass misalign as bad as mine? I need to re-seat all my displays to put them in the center of the windows.

Yeah the windows are all WAY too high, but I didn't say anything about that because it would really set people off and it's an easy fix. The way I can probably deal with the incorrect registration is by removing the screws fastening the hinge and moving the whole door up.

I usually love the CPR product, but given the really poor colour rendition, the bad registration... I'm just super underwhelmed. I think I might just sell the whole game and my restoration parts off at a loss and let someone else do the restoration. The snarky and abrasive response, and honestly, other pinsiders jumping down my throat for daring to suggest that the product was anything less than 100% perfect has just left a really bad taste in my mouth. If I spend a month this summer doing the restore as planned I'm always going to be reminded of how lousy this situation is every time I power it on.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from semicolin:

The snarky and abrasive response, and honestly, other pinsiders jumping down my throat for daring to suggest that the product was anything less than 100% perfect has just left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I hear ya. The amount of people saying it's the first time they see green in a Meteor backglass is starting to tally up.

#22 1 year ago

What's wrong with honesty? People should be able to express their views, post pictures and discuss the quality and where applicable accuracy of any product. It never ceases to amaze me that some will defend a supplier, manufacturer etc no matter the quality of the end product. Comments should be clear and concise and not venture into personally insulting any one person or company. Let any product be judged on its merits, especially reproduction parts of any kind from any manufacturer/supplier.

2 months later
#24 11 months ago

Yep. That quietly made its way onto the website a few weeks ago.

I have my replacement from Coos Hakvoort and I'm sticking with it.

#25 11 months ago

Still no 'CREDIT' text, but that I can live without. I have mine ordered.

#26 11 months ago

Anyone tried the Getaway budget version backglass (only one that is left on website)?
Not sure I wanna spend 239$ for it.
I like the TZ and also have the AFM.

#27 11 months ago

The blue version is an exact match to my old backglass as far as I can tell. Looks great. I never knew there was a green version.

1 week later
#28 11 months ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

The blue version is an exact match to my old backglass as far as I can tell. Looks great. I never knew there was a green version.

I thought so too, until I shone a light through my old one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 209.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside