Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by nutshell79
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

I'm looking to pick up my first pin, and I've always loved TZ. In doing some research, I've discovered that there are some early versions of the machine out there with a third magnet. Does the third magnet offer anything as far as enhancing the game play. Given a choice, which version of the game would you guys recommend? From a collector's standpoint, is the three magnet version more or less desirable?

#2 13 years ago

If that is true, the early version would be worth a bit more because it is a lower Serial number and rarer with the 3rd magnet. How much more it is worth I have no idea.

#3 13 years ago

I disabled the magnet circuit on my LAH - The ball can drain direct to the central hole , due to the magnet action instead of a normal way to your flipper .
And i read , it's frequently a cause of playfield destruction burnt by magnets.

Don't search any special-model with magnet included !
I don't know the answer to your question - but I hate Magnets .

But i like motor-shaker !

#4 13 years ago

Hmmm....All I can say is TZ is an excellent 1st pin
even if after doing all the research it's game play that matters most,
you can have two of the same machines side by side and after playing both feel one is light years ahead of the other - why?
Well its all in the details, a collector/player may go that extra mile to get his TZ to 100% while some flipper cowboy might just want to turn a profit and do very little to move it out the door and charge more.
Play as many TZs as you can find -I wouldn't die for a 3rd magnet if I come across a fantastic older version- hope this helps some

#5 13 years ago

Lots of people drill holes in their TZ to install the 3rd magnet which was "cut out" to reduce the final cost of the machine. The 3rd magnet changes the game a bit but i dunno if its worth it. I didn't go that far to drill the holes... oh yeah and you would also need the final version of game rom to activate the magnet.

For the price - it surely is more expensive then the usual TZs (if it's factory installed)

#6 13 years ago

My TZ has all the mods but the third magnet. Like LB45 I put in a switch under the playfield to turn power off to them. Most of the time I leave them off.

It's a super game and I hope you find one you like.

#7 13 years ago

I ended up purchasing a refurbished prototype machine. It has the hole already drilled for the third magnet, but the magnet is not installed. To me, this is the best of both worlds, since it will be relatively easy to add the magnet in the future if I decide to do so. Here is a link to the machine I bought:

http://greatamericanpinball.com/product_detail.asp?productId=119&categoryId=4&returnPage=%2Fproducts.asp%3Fpage%3D2%26categoryId%3D4

I have to say, Mike from Great American Pinball is a super nice guy and he really knows his stuff. I drove out to his house and played the machine for a while. It is in terrific condition. Mike is finishing up a few things and doing a couple of mods for me. The machine will hopefully be ready sometime this weekend.

#8 13 years ago

Nice Buy - looks really nice!! Im sort of looking for a TZ also but want to do the resto work myself to save a few bucks

#9 13 years ago

Great buy!

#10 13 years ago

The third magnet is sought after for hardcore TZ fans. In reality, its pretty cool to say yours has one if it does...otherwise, its really just something else to watch when your machine starts to have problems. TZ is still a ridiculously good game either way.

Grats on your TZ gweempose!

Welcome to the club.

#11 13 years ago

Congrats on your first game, nice buy!

I'm still looking for my perfect first game

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 12.95
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.95
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-2-magnets-vs-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.