Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DNO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I was thinking about what my favorite wizard mode was, in doing so I wondered if anyone ever categorized the types of wizard modes out there. I haven't gotten to many, but here are some of the types I've thought of. What others are out there?

Ones that can be won or lost:
-Where you have to hit every switch to be awarded a high score (Indiana Jones: Pinball Adventure, Shadow).
-Where you have to accrue an amount of points before losing all balls (AFM)
-Where you have to hit a lit target that moves for a huge point award (WH20)
-Where you have to complete a number of separate achievements on the pin to obtain a huge award (WH20 Vacation Jackpot)
-Where you have a limited amount of time to hit specific shots (SS, TOTAN)
-Multi-stage series of tasks that much be achieved (TOTAN, CV)

Ones that can't be lost:
-Where you have a set time to accrue as many points as possible (TZ)
-Multiball where you just have to hit shots that accrue a high point value (STTNG, Congo)

#2 5 years ago

You pretty much described them all.
You can categorize them all in just 2 types:
- The ones you have to win. You have an objective to complete to win the wm.
- The ones just for points. They end with time or if you loose the balls.

The best ones are the ones you have to win. Like on Sopranos, you have a multi stage wm where you have to complete all the stuff you had to do during the game again, until the last shot. You win and it's over.

#3 5 years ago

What about ones that go back and re-award the old awards, like TAF and WW?

#4 5 years ago

ACDC, Encore best Wizard mode ever. Almost like a completely new game with 3 balls and set of objectives, rewards are based on scoring in main game, plus a jackpot, plus double scoring once completed. Fantastic!

#5 5 years ago

Then there is the type you can never reach like SEMDWM on tspp

#6 5 years ago

Totally agree about acdc encore, best ever!

Few other favorites:
- xmen danger room. Fun, intense win or lose wizard mode

- TWD horde : mini wizars mode - unbeatable (unless you time it out ) very fun to play

- FGY: TV wizard mode. Awesome rules integration with a hurry up timed feel. Add on that you need 25m+ in this mode to qualify sperm attack just adds to the intensity meter.

- LOTR: TABA - scoring, rules, music, timed. Awesome!

#7 5 years ago

Don't forget Jackbot's. One of the best ever and loads of fun.

#8 5 years ago

I agree that there's a third class of Wizard mode...unattainable. CSI, IM Do or Die MB, Valinor. Modes that may as well not exist for us mere mortals.

#9 5 years ago

I don't know if this counts, but Assault the Vault in Safe Cracker is a blast!!!

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I agree that there's a third class of Wizard mode...unattainable. CSI, IM Do or Die MB, Valinor. Modes that may as well not exist for us mere mortals.

What about BBH's wizard mode? IE one that no one has ever reached.

#11 5 years ago

On earlier games, I would consider getting to the multiball the wizard mode. It depends on the game, but some of them- say Fireball II, it's no mean feat.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Someone tell me how IJ4's final adventure is. Worth playing nothing but IJ4 for years to maybe see it once?

I hear SOTR in WOZ is nice too.

#13 5 years ago

JM's Power down was cool

hit shots to keep shoots from shutting down

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Someone tell me how IJ4's final adventure is. Worth playing nothing but IJ4 for years to maybe see it once?

I've tried a couple times. Spelling R-A-I-D-E-R-S-O-F-T-H-E-L-O-S-T-A-R-K four times is... something. Fun I'm not sure about. It's something.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Worth playing nothing but IJ4 for years to maybe see it once?

Worth playing for years, no. Worth playing a months, no. Worth playing 1 or 2 times, of course not...it's IJ4

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

JM's Power down was cool
hit shots to keep shoots from shutting down

Yes, a very interesting take on the countdown timer idea. Don't forget to beat the modes to collect the gadjets at Crazy Bobs to add time to the sectors during power down.

#17 5 years ago

I think the timed ones are lame, ala TZ. Just me though, I hate when the flippers die with balls on the playfield.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I've reached Open Season on my BBH, it's not that hard, took about 2 dozen plays. Just boring constantly hitting the buck in multiball. Now I've done it more than happy to move it on for someone else to have ago.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

I think the timed ones are lame, ala TZ. Just me though, I hate when the flippers die with balls on the playfield.

I'd rather after the time is up it goes back to normal play with all your balls still on the field

#20 5 years ago

What about spidermania multi ball on SS ?
Has anyone got that, seems unlikely I will

1 year later
#21 4 years ago

Good one! Any others?

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Good one! Any others?

GOT - Hand of the King: Intense, fast, attainable, strategic... with one of the coolest, if not best, scoring mechanics in all of pinball.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Keefer Invitational?

#24 4 years ago

Another category- those with their own high score table?
Big fan of Super Hero, and most other Lyman wiz modes

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside