Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wiponpoly (resized).jpg
    9D8F2FDB-A82A-4BF7-A994-9DC91242C8CB (resized).jpeg
    CBBA06AB-C673-4DC8-8A53-731FA0136A1A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrm_4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

The other night while looking through several restoration threads and old EM threads I came across a couple of posts where someone sanded the ball wear out of a playfield (shooter lane and top arch I believe) with 400 grit paper on maybe an old woodrail, but most definitely an EM and used some kind of product that stained and maybe even gave a finish over the bare wood and hid the trail perfectly. I could've sworn I book marked the post but I didn't. I know its a long shot but does anyone else recall this thread or know of the product I'm talking about. I want to say it came in a white plastic bottle almost shaped like novus and it was "rub on something" or some kind of description like that?
    Wish I saved that thread

#2 5 years ago

Definitely a "quick fix" product that everyone seemed blown away by

#3 5 years ago

sheesh, case closed.... I was way off but I found it in the Abra-Ca-Dabra club
    funny how the memory is, none of what I described was even close...

Poly wipe on

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-em-gottlieb-abra-ca-dabra-club-droolers-welcomed/page/8#post-4794667

#5 5 years ago

I’ll check your thread out thanks! I’m not doing anything major just trying to help this wear in the arch and shooter lane.

9D8F2FDB-A82A-4BF7-A994-9DC91242C8CB (resized).jpeg9D8F2FDB-A82A-4BF7-A994-9DC91242C8CB (resized).jpeg
    #8 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

I have used a mixture of shellac flakes and methylated spirits (more flakes darker tone) to match the timber area then finished with a number of coats of Minwax wipe on poly which I believe pinhead52 mentioned sometime ago. I have been happy with results.
    [quoted image]

Yes this is the product I was trying to remember that I found in the Abra-Ca-Dabra thread!

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I tend to use shellac with stain if needed on older wood rails, and Poly/ Poly with stain on 60s + EM.
    I spot clear with Everbrite, like on playfield, because it self levels.

Good to know. I found a stain that matches perfectly to what the pf looks like now. So I’m going to mask off that trail and sand it, stain, then use this rub on what-have-you

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrm_4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/type-of-rub-on-laquer-or-finish?tu=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.