Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinRob
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15756705020126208878777886136741 (resized).jpg
    1575670282885517649824464971024 (resized).jpg
    20191201_174353 (resized).jpg
    20191201_172151 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I am doing a restoration on my Diner pinball machine. It is a Diamond Plate, so it has the yellow wire ramp. I would like to repaint it, but I am not sure what kind of paint they used back in the day. I have looked all over and cant find it. Anyone know? Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

I thought those were powder-coated. In any event I think powder-coating would be more durable than paint.

#3 6 years ago

Powdercoat is the only way to go.

#4 6 years ago

Hey man, I have done a bunch of diner yellow powder coat wireforms. I do not do it anymore but Chris should be able to find the color for you.

2 years later
    #5 4 years ago

Metallic Sharpie. Dries fast doesn't run. No sanding.
    Before and after viola!

20191201_172151 (resized).jpg20191201_172151 (resized).jpg20191201_174353 (resized).jpg20191201_174353 (resized).jpg
    #6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cozmos001:

Metallic Sharpie. Dries fast doesn't run. No sanding.
    Before and after viola![quoted image][quoted image]

You should de-rust & polish those, rather than paint over.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Ok thanks.
    Point is the sharpie marker worked after one coat. I'd like to see rust come through in 5 years after 3 coats
    The ingredients seem to be similar to that of a sand free primer. Its giving me a brushed flat metal finish rather than a shopping cart mirror finish. it makes the entire play field look new!

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

They will hold up better that way too

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cozmos001:

Ok thanks.
    Point is the sharpie marker worked after one coat. I'd like to see rust come through in 5 years after 3 coats
    The ingredients seem to be similar to that of a sand free primer. Its giving me a brushed flat metal finish rather than a shopping cart mirror finish. it makes the entire play field look new!

It won't last very long between the ball wear and the rusting that's already in progress. Only hardened paint will resist wear (as in, a powdercoat), white a sharpie won't do much. Plus, paint/ink generally doesn't stop the further development of rust, and the reaction will continue underneath the surface of the paint, and eventually erupt through the paint. Rust is similar to an infection--if you don't eradicate it, it will keep advancing.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It won't last very long between the ball wear and the rusting that's already in progress. Only hardened paint will resist wear (as in, a powdercoat), white a sharpie won't do much. Plus, paint/ink generally doesn't stop the further development of rust, and the reaction will continue underneath the surface of the paint, and eventually erupt through the paint. Rust is similar to an infection--if you don't eradicate it, it will keep advancing.

Resto modded to full glory! I did some thinking and thought you know when I used to work as an electrician at the union and the tin knockers were there they always used ink to mark their metal and they told me it is because it wouldn't wipe off easy!! I'll definitely report back to this thread when I notice any changes to the inkjob I hope I helped anyone who has had a headache thinking about actually pulling their wire forms off of their machines to rehab them this ink tip got in every single crevice it took me about 14 total hours but it is done and fitted with three coats I am so pleased and happy to share this with everyone!!!

1575670282885517649824464971024 (resized).jpg1575670282885517649824464971024 (resized).jpg15756705020126208878777886136741 (resized).jpg15756705020126208878777886136741 (resized).jpg
    #11 4 years ago

I just sent some wire forms off to Robert stone on this site. His work looks outstanding, and good price too I think

#12 4 years ago

14hrs? Really Seems it would have been easier to take em off and get them powder coated or chromed

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I just sent some wire forms off to Robert stone on this site. His work looks outstanding, and good price too I think

I hope you like what you get but I'm telling you straight handedly my method is the safest easiest and most durable way of restomodding your wireforms. Excuse me for being new and Innovative but since this is an alcohol-based product your ball will roll much smoother and faster then as if it was powder coated. As you see I am excited to share my new and improved way to rehab and Resto your wire forms Hallelujah 2020

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

14hrs? Really Seems it would have been easier to take em off and get them powder coated or chromed

I loved every minute of it and I know it's done right because I did it thank you

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cozmos001:

it took me about 14 total hours

Disassembly, cleaning, and polishing would've been a fraction of that...

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cozmos001:

I loved every minute of it and I know it's done right because I did it thank you

I don’t know if I would say “it’s done right”. But it’s your game and you loved all 840 minutes of it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/type-of-paint-on-wireform-ramps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.