Topic poll

“TX Sector vs. Robo-War: which one is better?”

• TX Sector 28 votes
    57%
  • Robo-War 21 votes
    43%

(49 votes)

#1 7 years ago

Please only comment if you've actually played both. Which is better though in your opinion and why? Both look like really great games and I've got a RW coming my way in a few weeks!

#2 7 years ago

You are very lucky. I really do think RW is the better of the two. For some reason the stand up targets and the sorcerer ramp are very addictive/rewarding. TX is a keeper as well! Can't go wrong with either!

#3 7 years ago

I own both and tx is the winner just for the tunes. Also better balanced, nudge back lane, and better layout.

Robowar is a VERY close second.

#4 7 years ago

I like the art of Robo-War better, but can't go wrong with either.

#5 7 years ago

Ive owned both at the same time and personally liked Robowar better.Great drop target shots,especially on multiball.You can really rack up some points.The sounds of the score racking up is awesome and so is the music.
Tx is a very close second for me.Great music too and some cool shots.
Both good pins,cant go wrong with either.
I miss them both.

#6 7 years ago

Both of these machines are clearly big winners. Bitchin' 80's midi-soundtracks and great gameplay.

For me, TX gets the nod. Mostly because of:
- the very original ruleset;
- 2 ramps vs 1 ramp;
- the transporter effect;
- the out of this world pop bumper sounds.

It's obviously a matter of taste, though. As others have said, both are extremely awesome pinball machines.

#7 7 years ago

I hope I never have to make this decision, can't think of anything worse than having to give up either.

#8 7 years ago

They are both the balls.

I seriously miss RW - total regret sell.
Blew 2 chances to grab TX back when it was not an unobtanium title.

Ruleset - RW (gotta love the unlimited Bonus).
Playfield - TX
Both games are outstanding, both have exceptional soundtracks, and are overall TOP 5 Gottlieb's IMHO.

#9 7 years ago

my only regret is not buying a NOS robowar pf when they were readily available. Steve told me he shipped 10 to one person in EU that is apparently hoarding them.

If anyone has one, please LMK.

#10 7 years ago

Couldn't honestly give the leg up to one or the other, both are my absolute favourite Gotties of all time. Love how both play and especially the sounds and music in both. You cant go wrong with either of them!

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

my only regret is not buying a NOS robowar pf when they were readily available. Steve told me he shipped 10 to one person in EU that is apparently hoarding them.

Ugh, that sucks.

I prefer RW over TX, mainly because of the rules. TX doesn't make much sense to me, but with RoboWar, there is a clear, and understandable path to take.

#12 7 years ago

I own RW and have played TX probably three different times. I think TX is a really neat experience, but I think RW has the one more game factor. TX has a slightly better layout. Music, I have to say RW multiball track is the best of all time... so I give the slight edge to what I know better and that is RW. So badly want to marry a TX right next to her tho..

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Ugh, that sucks.
I prefer RW over TX, mainly because of the rules. TX doesn't make much sense to me, but with RoboWar, there is a clear, and understandable path to take.

Curious on what you don't understand about the ruleset?

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Curious on what you don't understand about the ruleset?

It's not immediately approachable. On the surface, it just seems like you have to alternate the ramps, with no real big payoff.

With RW, it's obvious what to shoot for and eventually obtain multiball.

#15 7 years ago

I can see it. Players think when they see ramps; the rules must be contingent on the ramp shots.

I prefer TX for my case.

-Music
-Theme
-Playfield Layout

The thing I like (and prefer)about TX... is that there's several different scoring strategies you can accomplish for points. I really didn't get that off of Robo-War.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think that same dude cleaned house on a lot of Gottlieb playfields he had.

#17 7 years ago

I'd have to own both (or play them side-by-side a lot) to know which was the true long-term winner... but if I had to pick one right now it'd be TX. Just seems to stick in my imagination longer.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

I can see it. Players think when they see ramps; the rules must be contingent on the ramp shots.
I prefer TX for my case.
-Music
-Theme
-Playfield Layout
The thing I like (and prefer)about TX... is that there's several different scoring strategies you can accomplish for points. I really didn't get that off of Robo-War.

There are but the lit spinners are the easy default

#19 7 years ago

Great vs-thread, by the way. One of the closest calls I've seen.

#20 7 years ago

I have a good friend that owns both, and it's Robowar for me by a decent margin. With TX the strategy is fairly simple, shoot lit spinner, hope to hit the target to advance a level, and when you're at 10 go for MB

With Robowar I think it's a more nuanced strategy. Advancing letters is great, and especially so when you've got the multiplier up to a decent level, so your shots are more varied.

On the music front, both are superb, but I think Robowar edges it for me.

#21 7 years ago

I am continually amazed how so many just shoot lit spinners on Tx and have no idea how to really work the game.

That is the subtle beauty in the code, it is very situation based play. Pinball is for playing in groups and in a group you should be changing your strategy on the fly based on what the other guy is doing.

For example, so many focus on the spinners that they never even learn how to properly advance power levels and think it is just from the standup behind the pops (shh that standup is a secret and will help you bg time when playing someone unfamiliar with the game).

Quoted from Wizcat:

hope to hit the target to advance a level,

You are missing that the entire way to really build the power levels is through drop targets and to go back and forth between the 2 banks to jump 1, 2, 3 power levels. If you are not getting multiball on this game then you are not playing this game

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I hope I never have to make this decision, can't think of anything worse than having to give up either.

If that ever happens - let me know. I'll take it and keep it in Toronto - with the promise of selling it back to you at some point in the future.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Wizcat:

I have a good friend that owns both, and it's Robowar for me by a decent margin. With TX the strategy is fairly simple, shoot lit spinner, hope to hit the target to advance a level, and when you're at 10 go for MB

TX's strategy is a lot more complex than that. Spinners is just one of them

The best scoring strategy I use is the left ramp with the drop target. Usually get your power levels around 8 or 9; hit that left ramp when when the timer is almost max (basically when you hit the drop). I usually try to time it when it comes down to the right inlane (the drop target automatically drops) for the maximum points.

#24 7 years ago

I know about dropping the target banks (or hitting the lit advance level target) to move up levels. But by shooting into the pops (ideally via a lit spinner) you're getting pretty good points from the spinner, and also advancing two or three levels with some luck.

It's certainly the strategy that Keith Elwin suggests too in his pinball 101 video

#25 7 years ago

??? Looks to me like just 1 of the many features he points out in the video ???
He very clearly points out all the other aspects of the game.

I can tell you from experience that if we are similar calibur players playing heads up and all you do is shoot lit spinners, then I am going to beat you 7 out of 10 games, as I will change my strategy based on how you are playing. Tx-sector has risen in populatirty because of the fun shots and sweet tunes, but it sticks in collections because it has real lasting power as a players deck. Any game with a lopsided single strategy rarely sticks around long.

JMHO

#26 7 years ago

I own them both and they are both excellent games. TIE!

#27 7 years ago

I just got a RW a couple of months ago and absolutely love it. Have only played the Pinball Arcade version of TX, but it seems great as well. Seems you can't go wrong with either one based on the comments.

I do need some replacement plastics. Right slingshot plastic was replace with a random plastic from another game. One of the other plastics is broken as well. Can't find replacements anywhere. Any know any sources for replacements or have any ideas?

Thanks!

3 months later
#28 7 years ago

A bit late on this but here goes

Me and another mate here in the UK have both(prob between us have only 2 Robos in the UK TBH)

We both totally love them both, but Robo JUST ABOUT gets the nod,but it's close, and I know he thinks the same,
but can't go wrong with either, assuming you can get any one of them!!

1 month later
#29 7 years ago

Good news update: looks like I will own both later this month!! I'll post my reviews here when I have big in my possession. As I've had Robo for about 6 months now, I can only say it is AWESOME. No it's not deep or loaded with modes, but it's everything pinball should be: addicting, simple, fun, and frustratingly hard! I have nothing bad to say about that game (esp now that I performed all the ground mod updates and it runs great!)

1 year later
#30 5 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Good news update: looks like I will own both later this month!! I'll post my reviews here when I have big in my possession. As I've had Robo for about 6 months now, I can only say it is AWESOME. No it's not deep or loaded with modes, but it's everything pinball should be: addicting, simple, fun, and frustratingly hard! I have nothing bad to say about that game (esp now that I performed all the ground mod updates and it runs great!)

How are you liking Robo War? I see you’ve moved TX Sector on. How’s Robo War compared to Space Shuttle?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tx-sector-vs-robo-war and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.