(Topic ID: 190386)

TX Sector System 80b Won't Boot (Gottlieb Not Booting)

By seshpilot

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by seshpilot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Man, I'm confused and not sure what to do next.

Started with a (mostly) working TX Sector that had acid damage on the MPU which caused a few oddities like no multiball. Tore the game down to do a full shop job, completed all ground mods (did all of em at the transformer, and all of em in the backbox on each board), reflowed solder on power supply in backbox and put in a brand new working pot for +5v, put it back together and now it won't boot.

-Splurged and bought a new Swemmer MPU with TX ROMS. Still won't boot. Just a blank screen with half of the playfield lights on
-Threw in a known working driver board from my Robo-War: still won't boot.
-Threw in a known working MPU harness from RW: still won't boot
-Threw in a known working Aux Power Board from RW: still won't boot

All fuses are good. Power at MPU read 5.05v, power at driver board reads 4.87v. I'm stumped.

Do I need to start repinning all the connectors? Should I check voltages somewhere else?

#2 6 years ago

Issue with the game roms?

Slam switch issue?

Swemmer MPU jumpered for using a 2716 at PROM2? (2732 is also possible)

Inspect MPU connectors J1, J5 and J6 for cracked pins. This can be easily seen. If the pins are green and sometimes cracked also repin them.

Is the Swemmer MPU working in your Robo-War? Maybe a DOA??

#3 6 years ago

When I was having problems with my Raven, ForceFlow said that all the MPU needs to boot is the correct voltage & the slam tilt. Maybe try unplugging the other boards & see if it boots then.

#4 6 years ago

Check your slam tilt. It is normally closed on sys 80, stupid I know, but that is what they did.

just make sure it is making good contact. I ended up removeing the slam tilt and soldering the wires closed for good.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Issue with the game roms?

Slam switch issue?

Maybe game roms but they're brand new burns from K's Arcade.
Slam switch was soldered closed on the board

Quoted from MarAlb:

Swemmer MPU jumpered for using a 2716 at PROM2? (2732 is also possible)

Hmmm...I'm not sure what you're referring to. Could you describe in more detail? Perhaps this is it.

Quoted from MarAlb:

Is the Swemmer MPU working in your Robo-War? Maybe a DOA??

I'll check this out

Quoted from Topher5000:

Maybe try unplugging the other boards & see if it boots then.

I've measured solid +5vdc on the MPU board and still no booty

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Hmmm...I'm not sure what you're referring to. Could you describe in more detail? Perhaps this is it.

I will try. Later system 80B games (BigHouse, Excalibur, Bad Girls, Bone Busters, Hot Shots) used a 2732 Eprom at PROM2. All games prior used a 2716. At Original board you had to jumper E4 and leave E3 open for using a 2716 at PROM2. For a 2732 at PROM2 it is the other way around. Also you had to cut a trace and run a wire to TC1 socket. As you are using an aftermarket Swemmer board I don't know how things are done there but it may be worth to check it out.

#7 6 years ago

Look at the harness connectors and see if they look corroded or if pins are bent down, try reseating connectors a few times to see if that does anything.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Look at the harness connectors and see if they look corroded or if pins are bent down, try reseating connectors a few times to see if that does anything.

All connectors look really good. Reseated and nada.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Clair, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tx-sector-system-80b-wont-boot-not-booting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.