• Latest reply 3 years ago by Cheddar
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 8.22.01 AM (resized).jpg
Gottlieb_aux_power_1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I'm attempting to get sound out of a TX-Sector and I am stuck at the Aux Power Supply.

I have an inductive amplifier used in phone circuits and I can verify audio at the output of the soundboard pin 9.

I can verify the signal at pin 2 of the aux board and should see an amplified signal at pin 4. Tracing it back I can see the unamplified signal at U1 pin 1 but no amplified signal at U1 pin 4.

The aux power supply is a new gulf pinball board.

Any advice what I should look at next?

Thanks

#4 3 years ago

I'll mention that the power supply is new as well. I still need to do the ground mods

#5 3 years ago

Hard to determine if I have the right voltages at the aux board. How can I verify the 12 VAC and -12 V?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Does this help?
Only the red 12VAC needs to be measured between the two red marked point.
All other voltages as oposed to ground.
[quoted image]

This is a goldmine. Thank you!

#8 3 years ago

ok getting somewhere.
My -12VDC at VR1 is -5.
I get 12 vac across CR1 and CR3
I have 13.5 VDC at the junction of CR2 and CR4 and the Same at R7

But only ~-4 @ the non banded side of VR1. Does this indicate VR1 is bad? Comparing VR1 in diode test on the new board is open and .7 on the old board.

I'll replace VR1 and give it a try.

BTW here is the section of the schematic for reference

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 8.22.01 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-06-14 at 8.22.01 AM (resized).jpg

#10 3 years ago

Replaced VR1 and R4 and I can hear audio at R4 now

Video

Pulled pin 4 and connected to R4 and loud glorious sound.

Video

I'm going to rebuild the old board. I've had too many problems with this one.

I'm not naming the maker of this board. I have no idea what it's been through before it got here

#11 3 years ago

replaced C3 on the aux power supply and back in business. I can't imagine what happened to a new board that would knock VR1 and R4 out of spec and make C3 a dead short.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I wonder if there is any connectors keyed the same where you could send HV through that bridge making the current limit resistor and 12v zener go over current and fail.

On TX the aux supply is above the mpu next to the reset board. I don't think anything could reach it there.

I'm more surprised by C3 being shorted. If it was a manufacturing defect could it have damaged the resistor?

VR1 isn't in that circuit so who knows what happened to it.

It was definitely easier to manage that the aux power board is essentially 3 discreet circuits

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tx-sector-80b-no-sound?tu=Cheddar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.