P3180036.JPG
new_041.JPG
new_040.JPG
new_039.JPG
new_037.JPG
new_036.JPG
new_035.JPG
#1 14 years ago

Check out this beauty, a Gottlieb TX-Sector I picked up today. I have never seen one of these before but I was intrigued by its super radical 80's looks and the price was right ($300). I just got it home and a basic cleaning done to it etc. This pin has never been in an arcade, the gals parents bought it new in the 80's and its collected only light wear in that time (and some dust for sure). No playfield wear anywhere, no cab/coin door wear at all. A nice find and damn, this kinda obscure pin is actually really fun. Awesome 80's synth music too easily my favorite pinball music from the era.

new_035.JPGnew_035.JPG new_036.JPGnew_036.JPG new_037.JPGnew_037.JPG new_039.JPGnew_039.JPG new_040.JPGnew_040.JPG new_041.JPGnew_041.JPG

#2 14 years ago

Looks beautiful. The coin door area looks incredible. Incredible find for a machine made in 1988!

You wouldn't by any chance have a shot of the cabinet art?

Also, where the heck can I get one of those bumper stickers? Looks badazz! I want one! Just saw one of em sell on ebay.

"Have you played a Williams pinball today?"

#3 14 years ago

I bought the bumper sticker from a place that had them on closeout, it cost me 12 bucks but it was worth it. I am just waiting for spring to put it on my truck. :]

Maybe we should do a reproduction run of those stickers? This one is NOS. :] They g ave them out at Pinball promo shows back when Williams was still in biz.

I will get pics of the cab art asap. It's SUPER clean..

#4 14 years ago

Wow 1st time ever seen one,
looks like David Bowie from his modern man era on the BG

#5 14 years ago

If there is one thing I love about the 1980's era Gottlieb machines, is the synth music. No one dares touch Gottlieb in this department. I'm looking directly at Gottlieb/Premier's Hollywood Heat. Pure 80's nostalgia with the Gottliebs.

#6 14 years ago

What a great buy for $300.
Why would someone sell it for that cheap?

#7 14 years ago

Man this thing plays AWESOME! Why have I never seen this pin before tonight? Easily a top 1980's gottlieb and dare I say it, (almost) as good as what Williams was cranking out at this time. It makes you work your ass off for multiball and each ramp shot is rewarding not endless loops one after another, which can be refreshing to be honest. And ohh I wish I could find a clip of this music, haha man they really did blow Williams/Bally out of the water when it came with the music. Sounds less like a simple midi tune than comparable williams pins. If you ever get a chance to play one of these give it a go, a real 80's gem. Almost like Gottlieb kinda got back to their roots of good pin play on this one. Smooth

Oh and lol about the Bowie thing, this would make an awesome David Bowie conversion pin, it's already halfway there. haha

edit*

Leigh I am not sure, she had the thing in storage and I think just needed the cash. it was on Craigslist for 800 or so but I guess no one thought to offer he less (or anything) so I came in with 300 and she took it. I picked up this and an F-14 tomcat (has issues though) for 300 each this week.

#8 14 years ago

TX-Sector is definatly one of the more fun Gottlieb's out there. I got a chance to play one at a show last year, along with other John Trudeau games. Rocky pinball was another noteworthy effort; trying to simulate the act of punching, using flippers.

For Gottlieb alpha-numeric pins, I still prefer Hollywood Heat, but I must admit.....the Banzai Run-like kick-target shots in TX-Sector are fun as hell. I wish more pinballs would have kick-targets like that. I also dug how the ball shooter feeds the ball to an upper flipper for the skill shot.

I really should review this machine eventually. I got a lot of pinballs to review though.

The music if I remember correctly, sounded like I dunno...Tecmo's "Ninja Gaiden" on the 8-bit Nintendo home console. That's saying something because that Nintendo game had some incredible synthesized music. "TX TX TX (echo)".

Great find maldoror. Practically a steal in that condition.

#9 14 years ago

Good find Maldoror. You need to update the details and add the pics to the archives cuz there ain't nothing in there for that pin.

#10 14 years ago

I'll admit, I'm jeleous! This is currently the only pin on my wishlist from the late 80s, and yes, the music is some of the best I've heard from a game of that era.

If you do a youtube search you can find a few clips of the game in action. I believe the sound is fairly clear in one of the videos too.

Have fun playing that beauty, because I sure as heck would if I were you!!!

Congrats on the AWESOME find!

#11 14 years ago

Thanks Colb. It really is a great pin. Any pinsider is always welcome to come play it if/when they are in Colorado. :] Uploading cab pics soon.

#12 14 years ago

You just wait until that new baby comes. Then you'll have to stop buying so many pinballs. Get ready for the screaming, crying , doodie machine !!!

#13 14 years ago

Maldoror needs to find himself a Gottlieb "Super Mario Bros: Mushroom World" pin for the lil' youngster.

http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/super-mario-bros-mushroom-world

Gotta start these kids when their young.

#14 14 years ago

haha where is all this baby talk coming from? I have no kid on the way, haha (thank effing god).

Kids eat food and cost money. Pins do neither of this. (although pins do shit the bed sometimes if you know what I mean)

:]

#15 14 years ago

They do tend to get messy if you don't clean them up regularly (pins and babies). Some are also very noisy.

Can't wait to check out those new pics of the TX-Sector. Need to tag them on pinside. The ones on IPDB aren't clear enough, and their example machine isn't as cherry.

#16 14 years ago

Some new pics I took with my better camera. The scratches are on the glass not on the playfield, I can't wait to put new glass on it and maybe a subwoofer kit (lol).

*edit* I think I will be bringing this pin to the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown, coming soon. Big event for us out here in this area, and one of the best pin events around anywhere.

P3180036.JPGP3180036.JPG P3180024.JPGP3180024.JPG P3180027.JPGP3180027.JPG P3180034.JPGP3180034.JPG

#17 14 years ago

Godamn! Hardly any wear on the drop targets decals, or discoloration on the side cabinet lettering.

I dig the font they use for the "TX-Sector" title. Looks like......oooh.....I dunno......"Superman" movie title-font maybe?

Got to love Gottlieb having designed their pins with metal protectors on the sides to prevent flipper button wear, out of the factory.

Definately get a new glass for your pin, and add a subwoofer on it if possible (seeing how much dough you saved, buying the game).

I'm sure Gottlieb fans will love to play this machine out at the show. Get some pics of the show posted on pinside.

Some of us have to wait till the summertime for our pinball shows.
Sigh.

#18 14 years ago

TX, TX, Bzzzzzzzz. Interlink disabled............ Teleport sequence activated

TX Sector was one of my first pin's a realy repaired.
The Gottlieb soundboard fits this game perfectly. Also the "teleporter" effect is nicely done!
The only strange thing is the translite.... it looks like it was been wet.

#20 14 years ago

Sweet!! Nice find maldoror!

I'll have to order these from Steve Ritchie's website I think. I went to his booth at the last pinball show, and I could have swore he didn't have any.

Man, breaks my heart seeing Steve Ritchie forced to sell his chachkies to make a living nowadays. One of the greatest game designers. The father of Firepower and High Speed. Forced to sell flyers, replacement parts, and autographs...when years ago, he was making some of the greatest games of all time (Black Knight, STTNG, T2, and BD's favorite....Rock, Rock, Rock, Rollergames).

1 year later
#21 13 years ago

Hello. I bought the TX Sector a few months ago. Any idea how to program the Mega Levels so they don't start at 0 every time you get a new ball?

#22 13 years ago

We played Tx-Sector at Pinburgh over and over again. It was loud and had great music. That is a true steal. I wish I could find one.

#23 13 years ago

I have one!! Very awesome pin!

Dip switch #32 has to be set to *on*

#24 13 years ago

TX is a great game - I also played the crap out of it at pinburgh the backglass is pretty ugly but the game play and music totally make up for it - I'd love to have one, especially at that price

#25 13 years ago

I actually like the translite!

My real only complaint is the scoring system is flawed. This is the same for most System 80B games of this era.... Victory is another perfect example.

For example, in order to get "jackpot", you have to get to *Mega Level 10* on multiball (which is no easy feat)! If accompolished, you're awarded 100k. The problem w/ this is you can get more points just staying at *Mega Level 9* and just nail the both ramps back and forth....

#26 13 years ago

It's definably a John Trudeax game. Lots of turns and lanes to shoot at a bit like spirit. Played it with 3 friends in France for a while and it got the thumbs up.

#27 13 years ago

Schusler - good to know for tournament play, so basically just hitting the ramps will score better - how about the drop targets - is that what raises your level, and also I think I remeber a spinner - is that typical 80's game scoring, shoot for the spinner raise you multipliers

something about the music and gameplay Im going to start looking for one, I couldnt get enough of it at pinburgh - best 80's sounds and music I think

#28 13 years ago

Schusler - good to know for tournament play, so basically just hitting the ramps will score better - how about the drop targets - is that what raises your level, and also I think I remeber a spinner - is that typical 80's game scoring, shoot for the spinner raise you multipliers

Yep.... The "Infinity Zone" is an important area for scoring, especially if the spinner is lit. So, I usually keep pounding that spinner for big points! Not only the drops advance the Mega levels , but there is a spot target in the back (behind the pops) that advances it as well.....

One day, I'll have to put a better version on youtube.... No offense to the other ones out there; I just didn't like the angle they used....

5 years later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tx-sector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.