(Topic ID: 87836)

"Two kind of people in this world - Pinball People & Video Game People" Cop Land

By Strange

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by JSmith
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I was watching the film Cop Land on netflix the other day and ran across the quote "Two kind of people in the world - Pinball People & Video Game People". Is this really true? I happen to love both, but I'm 31 and pinball is a newer thing for me linked from my love of video games my whole life.

If I had to choose between video games and pinball I would go for the former, only because it's always been there for me. I'm sure most people on this site are Pinball People obviously. Gaming is gaming though, right?

(pinball playing starts at 1:18, quote at 3:50)

#2 10 years ago

Hmmm.. Never seen that clip. Always believed there only two types of people also....pinballers and everyone else. Regardless, I still contend the world is run by D+ students.

#3 10 years ago

Thats cool, Ray Liotta is one of my favorite actors and COP LAND has always been underrated. I think there can be a person who loves both but if you look how badly Stallone wanted to play more pinball I think sometimes this description is fitting.

#4 10 years ago

I haven't seen that movie since the theater, but I recall really liking it.

#5 10 years ago

I'm in the category for both, I guess??

#6 10 years ago

There are few Video games I would want to own. So I am definitely in the pinball camp. I like vids that are not linear and particularly ones with simultaneous or vs. play such as Joust.

#7 10 years ago

Great movie, I like when he breaks into the meter haha.

#8 10 years ago

Got some great advise recently...though I am sure many have heard it before "Never trade pins for vids."

#9 10 years ago

Two kinds of Cops as well. Good cop, bad Cop. I love that movie, its a modern cop drama version of Animal Farm.

#10 10 years ago

I grew up thinking pinball was very intimidating. It was just hard for me to understand what the hype was about. Thought people were nuts hitting and banging on the machines...aggressively wild bunch. I never really played them in the arcade...I gravitated toward arcade games and stayed away from the pinball section. Flash forward 22 years and now the reverse. I just can not stop playing pinball and video games have taking a back seat.

Teen years 95% video games 5% pinball

Now years 95% pinball 5% video games.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Industen:

I grew up thinking pinball was very intimidating. It was just hard for me to understand what the hype was about. Thought people were nuts hitting and banging on the machines...aggressively wild bunch. I never really played them in the arcade...I gravitated toward arcade games and stayed away from the pinball section. Flash forward 22 years and now the reverse. I just can not stop playing pinball and video games have taking a back seat.

Yeah, those pinball guys are out of control I tell you! Throws NES controller against the wall for falling down the same hole for the 10th time in Super Mario Brothers.

#12 10 years ago

Haha ^^^

Good point. I do remember throwing the controller playing Mega Man.

#13 10 years ago

I play pinball all the time. My young sons play minecraft and my older son plays DOTA. My eyes just glaze over when I watch and I can't begin to care. So I go play another game of pinball. Interestingly opposite to when I was young.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Industen:

I'm kind of in this category, except more EXTREME (snap slim jim). As a youth I was at the arcade ALL the time, didn't care about pinball at all. Used to dream about a basement full of arcade games. Then when I worked in an arcade, the manager got me in to pinball and the current shifted. Then MAME happened and put the clamps on any need to have a 'basement full of arcade games' -- most of them run 100% fine in a single cabinet. I guess there are still a few I'd like to have that are hard to get right in MAME (Turkey Shoot FTW), but that's a really small percentage.

#15 10 years ago

Gamer Forever

I just love gaming period, but my longest tradition is video. Pinball is awesome and new to me. Billiards is awesome, especially 8-Ball. I even like board and card games if I can find the people to get into them with me. This stuff is all linked and I'm happy for the variety. Of course we always will have our preferences.

#16 10 years ago

I love both i'm a gaming junkie (even card games lol). Recently i found that i love working on pinball and its kinda my way ti my mind off things. But been playing pinball and video games since i was wee little boy

#17 10 years ago

I am both. Until a couple of years ago, I was probably 80% vids, but now I am about 50/50. They both offer a lot of entertainment value for me. With a little luck, I will soon be adding another type of game that I have always wanted to own - Air Hockey!

#18 10 years ago

I'd have to add that there is a third category of people, "neither pinball nor video gamers". I think many of our significant others would belong to that group.

I agree with Strange above, any kind of game does it for me: pinball, video, Texas hold'em, cribbage, pool, board games, jotto, crosswords, Dungeons & Dragons, Titan (the best wargame ever), charades......

#19 10 years ago

I have played Video Games and owned every system at some point. As a kid trying pinball I never knew anything about rules or the idea of themes. I always thought "you're just hitting a ball from falling and the rest is luck" and never spent more than one short try on a machine before giving up. Recently (about 4 months ago) I went with my older brother to a friend of his house that had 3 pins and probably 30 games. A month later I owned my first Pin. One more month and I owned my second. Now I've added a home built Hyperpin to play the games I can't afford yet. And I've already got the next 3-4 picked out.----------Oh yea, I also have a MAME with Arcade games in the corner. The kids and some friends play on that a bit. My Xbox One I bought in Nov. is lucky if it gets used for Netflix now. So I was one way and completely went the other. I always think now "Man, I need to play some more Battlefield 4, well, Maybe one more game of Pinball first!"

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

Gamer Forever
    I just love gaming period, but my longest tradition is video. Pinball is awesome and new to me. Billiards is awesome, especially 8-Ball. I even like board and card games if I can find the people to get into them with me. This stuff is all linked and I'm happy for the variety. Of course we always will have our preferences.

Your just not fully converted yet.

I used to have about 25 full sized Videos, I even had a shed arcade. Now I own one MAME that I don't play.

#21 10 years ago

I'm with SealClubber on this one. "There are few video games I would want to own, so I am definitely in the pinball camp."
    I've always loved pinball, never really got into arcade games. MAME was fun when I discovered it way back, 6 months after it started. I really only play Metal Slug, Slapfight and Raiden on MAME. I play virtual pinball every day as I haven't had any real machines for 20 years. I know I know, I need to get some!

#22 10 years ago

I grew up more video/arcade gamer than pinball, but nowadays I am hardcore pinhead. My home arcade won't have any arcade vids.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from rs812:

Hmmm.. Never seen that clip. Always believed there only two types of people also....pinballers and everyone else. Regardless, I still contend the world is run by D+ students.

Really smart poeple don't run the world. They work for people that run the world. It's a different skill set. The thing is to figure out what part you are suited for and make the best of it. Otherwise, you spend your life swimming upstream and that's no fun.

#24 10 years ago

I just lose so much interest in today's video games. My attention span just isn't there. After you progress to a certain point in a game where it shows you everything it has to offer, I usually never finish it. However, older games that I can finish in a few hours I can play over and over again. This is probably why I shifted back to pinball. Short game times.

#25 10 years ago

I don't know if there's really two kinds of people but I do know there's two kinds of music.

Country & Western!!!

#26 10 years ago

I'm both. Definitely a gamer first though.

#27 10 years ago

I know several pinball collectors that absolutely loath all video
    games. I'm not one of them. 47 pins and 25 classic arcade vids
    in my collection.
    Steve

#28 10 years ago

I've ebbed and flowed between the two over my life. Video was first and foremost growing up but I always had time for a few games of pinball as well. Lately (last couple years) it's certainly been WAY more pinball and way less video.

#29 10 years ago

I'm both- Atari console- PC gaming from 8bit to games that require 1gig vram boards (or more- more is prettier).

We are also up the three pins and are looking for the fourth... already...

#30 10 years ago

I bought the NES in college . Been console gamer all my life. Bought pinball in 1996 stopped gaming for a few years. But Pinball is my real passion for the fun and also the collector mind set. I will say I still love to game on consoles . Played over 400 hours on Elder Scrolls IV & Elder Scrolls V Skyrim over 400 hours . Diablo III stole my life. I go back and fourth . I am into pinball at the moment and have not played a video game in two months. But I come and go between the too.

1 week later
    #31 9 years ago

I'm ashamed at the amount of time I've played Skyrim (PC) [from ESIII on up... I must be ill ...]

#32 9 years ago

In my teens early 20's I played a mix of pinball and video games. Our home consoles would only play pong, but when this is the latest tech. Available to you it was fun and new. Thank god games have developed from there.

I'm a pinball guy now and video games very rarely now. My two sons on the other hand are what I would call video game junkies...sad but true. My 27 year old has every console ever produced and is totally addicted to gaming. When he comes over he will play my pins but is not really into them. He prefers to play pins on his PS4...just not the same!

In general I see most 40+ will probably be more into pinball than video games! but the younger generations seem to be more into video games.....I will continue to try to convert them to pinball.

#33 9 years ago

I'm starting to become a retro console junkie as well but I've let go of all my past stuff throughout the years to fuel new purchases. I'm coming back big though with a Neo Geo CMVS Analogue Interactive console. I never had a Neo Geo growing up and best games on there hold up incredibly well.

#34 9 years ago

In jr and sr high school it was nothing but video games and foosball, very little pinball. Now it's the opposite, total pinhead, very little video games, but foosball still gets played if I can find someone to play. My xbox isn't even hooked up anymore as I have no time for video games unless it's on my ipad or iPhone. My how times have changed.

#35 9 years ago

I have passion for both. As for the Arcades I think emulators changed this view for most.

#36 9 years ago

If you go further back Strange AtariAge is a great community.

Quoted from Strange:

I'm starting to become a retro console junkie as well but I've let go of all my past stuff throughout the years to fuel new purchases. I'm coming back big though with a Neo Geo CMVS Analogue Interactive console. I never had a Neo Geo growing up and best games on there hold up incredibly well.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/two-kind-of-people-in-this-world-pinball-people-video-game-people-cop-land and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.