(Topic ID: 220146)

two identical pins AFM LE what would you buy? (new vs used)

By rai

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by rai
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“what would you do?”

• Used baby save the cash money for mods 17 votes
    23%
  • NIB (it's only money) 45 votes
    60%
  • other - get a Maiden / ST premium 13 votes
    17%

(75 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7766c78cc671413f284e85d9d8143b8f (resized).jpg
20180508_100436 (resized).jpg
20180508_100353 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I have been thinking about buying AFM LE able to find a nib LE

Have also found a used (HOU) like new LE but 1200 plays on the meter.

The difference is ~~ $645 US

The used one would involve me shipping (factored into the cost) and me sending unsecured money to a semi-stranger (99.9% straight guy, friend of a friend of a friend but unknown to me personally).

I am not *that* worried about shipping/money but that is one factor that is in the balance.

NIB would get a full warranty while used is used (partial or no warranty)?

-I'm not tight on cash, but I don't mind saving a few bucks.

-If this was local it would be easy peasy I'd get the used (save shipping and worry about sending cash).

-If this was like $1K it's be easy to get the used, but it's kind if in the middle of what I'd say is a slam dunk ($350 would get nib all day, $900 I'd get used all day).

-I tend to keep for long time so resale it not huge deal, only up front money is the difference at this point.

-please leave comment if you don't mind.

#2 5 years ago

I'd go new. Besides everything else you mentioned, if a used pin gets damaged/destroyed in transit, it's going to be a pain in your ass.

#3 5 years ago

Hands down NIB for the difference in $$.

#4 5 years ago

Agree, in this situation go new if you are going to go in on an LE. Warranty and shipped from reputable distributor. Peace of mind.

#5 5 years ago

Go for NIB. The CGC warranty only covers the original owner.

#6 5 years ago

Go new in box. You’ve got some great pins and if you don’t mind paying extra, get the NIB. It’s nice to open that box and be the first owner and have a warranty

#8 5 years ago

Warranty for NIB LE :

Electronics 24 Months
Mechanical & Other Components 12 Moinths

Used - No Warranty.

I'd go with the NIB

LTG : )

#9 5 years ago
#10 5 years ago

Know what you mean by $645 being in the middle ground but if you know its a keeper I'd go nib.

Warranty big plus as mentioned by others. Plus something special about breaking in a brand new pin that you know will stay for a long time.

#11 5 years ago

I wouldn't hesitate getting a NIB one at all.

#12 5 years ago

Actually ran the numbers will be $600 even.

#13 5 years ago

Get the nib don't even think about it. Plus you get that new pinball smell .

#14 5 years ago

nib in a heartbeat

#15 5 years ago

NIB all day long

#16 5 years ago

Given your scenario I would buy new. I like the idea of the warranty.

#17 5 years ago

This is Pinside so after 57 consectutive “buy NIB” recommendations, Rai will post “just sent payment for the HUO one. Thanks everyone!”

#18 5 years ago

Sounds like the used game is priced too high.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Sounds like the used game is priced too high.

Shipping costs ~$400.

If we were local it’d be a different scenario.

Good price for someone local.

#20 5 years ago

NiB No brainer.

I noticed a chip on my main UFO and a new one is being sent out.

#21 5 years ago

A couple considerations when buying used over new. Used may have a surprise, small issue or cosmetic flaw you were not aware of (issues can be warranty on new) The other, what happens if used is damaged during the freight process? Who will resolve the issue? Just something you may want to work out ahead of the deal.

#22 5 years ago

I agree, NIB if for no other reason than the 2 year warranty.

#23 5 years ago

Buy new in box for that small price difference. You will be happier long term with your purchase.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

A couple considerations when buying used over new. Used may have a surprise, small issue or cosmetic flaw you were not aware of (issues can be warranty on new) The other, what happens if used is damaged during the freight process? Who will resolve the issue? Just something you may want to work out ahead of the deal.

Exactly. I bought a used one that was supposed to be "like new" and "have had a playfield protector from day one". Well, the previous owner had a) tried to raise the outline wires and chipped the playfield in the process and b) dropped something sharp twice to the playfield in such manner that it had punctured holes through the playfield protector and damaged the playfield. That's "like new" to you. It is different if you can go and inspect the machine by yourself of course, I had my used one shipped from abroad to me.

#25 5 years ago

I had same recent situation twice as was tempted to pick up a slightly used but
realized about warranty. That was my only concern. Why take risk to save
just a few hundred going used versus nib. Of course shipping was another factor
that I just want to avoid at all costs. You never know what can happen there.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

I had same recent situation twice as was tempted to pick up a slightly used but
realized about warranty. That was my only concern. Why take risk to save
just a few hundred going used versus nib. Of course shipping was another factor
that I just want to avoid at all costs. You never know what can happen there.

This is all true. It’s one thing if you are buying a TZ or IJ and you have no choice you get what you can find. But at this point there is still a nib to pick from.

I have had good luck with buying both DI LE (local) and Woz RR (shipped) but the savings were massive, I’m talking $1k and $1200 respectively. So it was still able to buy new but the cost factor was more severe in my favor of the used examples.

Sometimes you find a motivated seller and you can cash in. Many pins for sale are priced ok but the seller doesn’t need sell so they’re ok with having it not sell.

#27 5 years ago

I agree with the posts above, NIB. Plus when you go to sell it you state being the first owner or this "new out of box" BS and can recoup some of that 600.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

This is all true. It’s one thing if you are buying a TZ or IJ and you have no choice you get what you can find. But at this point there is still a nib to pick from.
I have had good luck with buying both DI LE (local) and Woz RR (shipped) but the savings were massive, I’m talking $1k and $1200 respectively. So it was still able to buy new but the cost factor was more severe in my favor of the used examples.
Sometimes you find a motivated seller and you can cash in. Many pins for sale are priced ok but the seller doesn’t need sell so they’re ok with having it not sell.

Yes I hear ya on used DI and WOZ as I was once looking local for both. Like you said here the cost savings would be justified. There on my scope but man
I'm having serious space issues. So much to choose from out there! I let go of my RBION months ago, my first nib and still kicking myself! Loved that game.

#29 5 years ago

I decided to get the NIB AFM LE remake.

I realize that I’m pushing away the next several releases down the pike, but that AFM has been on my wishlist for so long.

I’m excited for the topper and light show.

#30 5 years ago

The warranty is probably the biggest reason to go NIB. I would say though that going HUO gives you a chance to inspect the quality of the play field before purchasing. I just bought a NIB MMR in May and kind of wish I went HUO. I am not happy with about 6 or so inserts on my playfield.

20180508_100353 (resized).jpg20180508_100353 (resized).jpg

And the visible ribbing under the clear:

20180508_100436 (resized).jpg20180508_100436 (resized).jpg

All normal according to CGC and not covered by a warranty. I could have taken better pics of the cracks on the inserts but you get what I mean.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I decided to get the NIB AFM LE remake.
I realize that I’m pushing away the next several releases down the pike, but that AFM has been on my wishlist for so long.
I’m excited for the topper and light show.

Good move. AFM is a classic and will be forever.

I would say if find any new game that comes out is better than any game you own than trade one of your pins out. Pure and simple.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Good move. AFM is a classic and will be forever.
I would say if find any new game that comes out is better than any game you own than trade one of your pins out. Pure and simple.

I’m not hyper worried about not getting any new releases, these pins are made for years by the manufacturers look at AcDc or ST or Woz not to mention used are easy to find. Plus most pins would be better off waiting for the code to be completed which is also years after release typically.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

The warranty is probably the biggest reason to go NIB. I would say though that going HUO gives you a chance to inspect the quality of the play field before purchasing. I just bought a NIB MMR in May and kind of wish I went HUO. I am not happy with about 6 or so inserts on my playfield.

All normal according to CGC and not covered by a warranty. I could have taken better pics of the cracks on the inserts but you get what I mean.

I see your point, I was never going to insect the pin, it was going to be wrapped and shipped to me as is. The owner said ‘perfect condition’ but that can mean different things to a seller than to a buyer.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Funny, had that same thing on my AFMr that I purchased a month ago. Was shocked at how bad the playfield quality was and told “its normal”. Sold it yesterday at a pretty big loss.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

Funny, had that same thing on my AFMr that I purchased a month ago. Was shocked at how bad the playfield quality was and told “its normal”. Sold it yesterday at a pretty big loss.

Yikes

Hope I don’t get a lemon

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Yikes
Hope I don’t get a lemon

It is always a bit of a gamble opening a NIB.
But as a new in box AFMLE owner, mine is stunning and gets tons of oohs and ahs when people see it in person for the first time.
Odds are in your favor as the majority of the LE's I have seen and heard about are awesome.
The only real two issues are if your ball makes it all the way around for a skill shot and the skin tone on a few of the playfields is a bit off sometimes.
CGC will fix the skill shot issue if you have it with no hassle.
You will also need to check and see if the game has the new 2.0 IC chip installed.
CGC will send you a replacement for that as well.

#37 5 years ago

You won't be disappointed. One thing people forget to mention on the LE is the mini saucer light show. Its worth it alone for the LE.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

You won't be disappointed. One thing people forget to mention on the LE is the mini saucer light show. Its worth it alone for the LE.

I’m a bit apprehensive with AFM since it’s quite a price for the amount of toys comparing to DI and Woz for example.

The price is whatever it is, I sold a STLE for same coin which had many options but was not even within a topper and not even with color DMD.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I know I sound like the LE/SE wet blanket but I played an LE recently and the light show was actually really distracting. They really tried to Fast and Furious a classic and I can see how some love it- I just don't. What I love is how they are giving us another chance to relive an amazing condition AFM. Build quality to me feels really great on my classic.

btw I wish they had a smoother option for that big screen b/c it would have looked much better IMO.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I could have taken better pics of the cracks on the inserts but you get what I mean.

Those are not cracks, that is an effect called "Crazing".

As every playfield restorer will tell you, the crazing is invisible until you spray the new clearcoat on the playfield.

That Crazing pattern is actually inside of the insert plastic, it's not on the top, it's not anything that could have been sanded out.

Old games used to have a cloudy clearcoat called "DiamondPlate". The cloudyness hid the crazing.

When you remove the old clearcoat and redo it with a modern clearcoat, that crazing often becomes visible.

New games have that amazing, super clear factory clearcoat that really makes the colors pop. At the same time, that clarity allows the Crazing to be seen.

It's totally normal.

Here is an old High Speed with brand new clearcoat. The crazing is now reveled:
7766c78cc671413f284e85d9d8143b8f (resized).jpg7766c78cc671413f284e85d9d8143b8f (resized).jpg

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Those are not cracks, that is an effect called "Crazing".
As every playfield restorer will tell you, the crazing is invisible until you spray the new clearcoat on the playfield.
That Crazing pattern is actually inside of the insert plastic, it's not on the top, it's not anything that could have been sanded out.
Old games used to have a cloudy clearcoat called "DiamondPlate". The cloudyness hid the crazing.
When you remove the old clearcoat and redo it with a modern clearcoat, that crazing often becomes visible.
New games have that amazing, super clear factory clearcoat that really makes the colors pop. At the same time, that clarity allows the Crazing to be seen.
It's totally normal.
Here is an old High Speed with brand new clearcoat. The crazing is now reveled:

Thanks for the response Vid. What you say makes sense but at the same time difficult for me to accept as normal when so many games do not have visible crazing.

I believe they are technically still cracks within the plastic material itself.
(http://www.plastictroubleshooter.com/ThePlasticTroubleshooter/cracking.htm). I totally get they aren't unheard of but in my eyes they are still a defect, as in not appearing on all fields on all inserts.

A friend of mine just purchased two MMRs for a route and neither have crazing in any of the inserts. Another friend has a AFMR LE without crazing. None of my games or reproduction playfields have visible crazing either, although I have had reproduction playfields in the past that had crazing (a CPR first run Whirlwind pf for example). I know the issue was very prevalent with those at the time and something was done to stop the issue since all of my CPR fields are without any crazing since then.

All this tells me is I need to stop buying NIB. For 8k crazing should be eliminated. I love my game otherwise though!

Sorry to the op, I'm not trying to freak you out! I'm sure your game will be fine since crazed inserts aren't guaranteed.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I see your point, I was never going to insect the pin, it was going to be wrapped and shipped to me as is. The owner said ‘perfect condition’ but that can mean different things to a seller than to a buyer.

Definitely! I will point out that I pay close attention to details many probably wouldn't. I only get to buy a new game every couple of years so I pay really close attention to my new games. They are super expensive now.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Definitely! I will point out that I pay close attention to details many probably wouldn't. I only get to buy a new game every couple of years so I pay really close attention to my new games. They are super expensive now.

Some are more concerned about minuscule imperfections than others. I’d hate it if the machine was *grossly imperfect* but I don’t go over with a microscope to scout out minor blemishes. I just bought a new car for $34K no obvious faults, but I don’t go around the car and see if all the body gaps are the same size. I’d rather not know, unless I saw something way off it doesn’t bother me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.00
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/two-identical-pins-afm-le-what-would-you-buy-new-vs-used?hl=beebl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.