8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Carl_694
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Carl_694.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

So I've spent too many hours to count restoring my prized Gottlieb Spirit and was almost ALL done with nearly no issues when I realized one of the controlled lamps on the Upper PF wasn't working. Given that I'm restoring the machine, I wasn't about to allow a bulb to remain non-functional.

Replaced light bulb. No dice.
Tested socket. All good.
Tested power to socket (with upper PF flipped upside down awkwardly). It was getting voltage but not grounding when it was supposed to.
Pulled the driver board and (ordered), then replaced the associated transistor. No change.
Now a second bulb that shares ground with the first bulb stopped working. WHAT?!!
This bulb now also was getting power, but not grounding either.

After fiddling for too long and pulling the upper PF too may times, I realized the socket for the initial bulb was flaky and was shorting internally to ground ...sometimes. I had tested it at first and all was OK. Moved the socket to replace the light with yet another new bulb (in case somehow I got two bad bulbs in there before) and tested again for the heck of it. Voila!

Take that, bad lamp socket!

#6 8 years ago

It had been a six month process. I had the Pf professionally redone with touchups and auto clear. My cab was good but I spent some time touching it up. The machine has a lot of Mechs to rebuild and clean, etc. Took a lot of pics but still missed a few. Had a log, too which was helpful. Overall it had been fun. A few more minor things and it'll be all done.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I found a bad socket on my R&B that was causing all kinds of problems. Took about the same amount of time, and I felt lucky to have found it so quickly!

I was happy to have figured it out, but was frustrated with the number of steps involved especially due to circuit board work. Gotta get out the tools, set it all up, etc. as I have no permanent workbench...though perhaps I should!

Quoted from pinball_faz:

It seems to me the log might be helpful to others as well. Would you consider publishing it?
faz

It probably would mean little to other people, unfortunately. Though anyone reading this is welcome to pm for pics they may have misses or questions about wiring, etc. I will probably have the pics for a couple years.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Carl_694.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/two-hours-to-find-the-bad-light-socket?tu=Carl_694 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.