Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by joetechbob
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    oopsie.png
    6E0C6ECF-A4F8-4517-878A-C61D51628336.jpeg
    2fa-phone (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_168.png
    logincode (resized).png
    email (resized).png
    login (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joetechbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I create a quick first version today of a more secure login. This first version works by sending a one-time login code to your registered e-mail address. This is not entirely secure of course (and not really 2-factor) but it would have stopped that scammer today and is also the simplest and cheapest solution to implement. It also doesn't require Pinside asking for your phone number. That said, I'm still planning a real two factor option (sms or google authenticator/authy) for people who want their accounts really secure. Remember, getting your account broken into is also bad for your own rep!
    I'm considering this added security to be mandatory for everybody. It would only appear when logging in from a new IP address OR when logging in after a

Sounds pragmatic, effective and easy to use. Ship it

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Please don’t use the IP address. I use a VPN, and my IP is always changing (though I usually pick a US address).
    I own customer identity management (CIAM) for a large telco. We added MFA last year, with it being mandatory for customers who have been compromised.
    robin please include an SMS option in the final solution. It’s the most frictionless way to register and log in. SMS is more secure than email for OTP delivery. It’s much easier to hack someone’s email than to hack their phone (unless they use LastPass and MFA to secure their email account, as we all should). Contrary to some opinions here, I can’t get someone’s SMS messages just because I know your phone number. Unless they’re dumb enough to read the code to me when I call them on that same phone.

Are you logging out regularly? I believe he said he would only run this check when you're actually trying to log in.

#88 2 years ago

Seat belts are SO uncomfortable and chafe my pinball jelly rolls.

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Fixed it for clarity. I was trying to give an accurate example of the shitty seatbelt metaphor but realize it was counterintuitive. It’s fixed now.
    Either way, Seatbelts also are shown to increase crashes due to careless drives with a false sense of security... hmmm I wonder if that maybe be relevant to this topic!

Sorry, from an implementation perspective it may feel that way, but it's much more critical than that from a security perspective.

People love to bitch about change in life/routine, but this really is a minor one.

Unless you're in a public/shared computer use case requiring a logout AND that computer's public IP is changing regularly, you will rarely hit the additional challenge.

1 week later
    #108 2 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Aha! Actually a few people contacted me, telling me the exact same thing: how they were surprised to get a login code request when their IP address didn't change.
    Turns out that many of you (me too in fact) have two IP addresses. One IPv4 and one IPv6. Which one gets used seems to be almost random. Sometimes you'll get connected to Pinside on v4 and sometimes on v6. I'm not a network expert, so not sure when, why or how this is determined. Maybe someone can chime in?
    So you might think you are connected via your 123.456.789.123 IPv4 address when in fact you're connecting with a different IPv6 address every day.
    At least, that's what I found out. I never knew this myself.
    Here, check out my last few IPs and notice how most are IPv6, while there's also one IPv4 visit there:
    [quoted image]
    This is all from my home, all connections made today. My IPv6 changes very often!
    (Sorry, I greyed out the full addresses, but they're all slightly different.)
    FYI, I'm currently investigating ways to allow for *slight* IP address changes. For example, if your IP address closely matches a previously used IP address (same "network part" I think is what it's called) I could allow the login automatically. So, for example, I could check if the first two number groups of your IPv4 are the same and then let you log in without a login code request. For IPv6 I think it's the first 4 alphanumeric groups. Again, i'm not a network expert so i need to look into this some more.
    [quoted image]

For a quick workaround -- can you change your infra (load balancer) to support only ipv4? Did a quick search and it looks like the protocol is to attempt to use ipv6 if it's available on both sides and fall back to ipv4 if it's not.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joetechbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/two-factor-authentication-2fa?tu=joetechbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.