Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by joetechbob
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    oopsie.png
    6E0C6ECF-A4F8-4517-878A-C61D51628336.jpeg
    2fa-phone (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_168.png
    logincode (resized).png
    email (resized).png
    login (resized).png
    There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 2 years ago

Quick update! Starting today I've added the option to add your cell phone number to your account.

Completely optional, of course!

So why would you want this? Well, it's a backup way of accessing your Pinside account when your e-mail is not working properly (or if you can't access it).

Example: you're on the road, trying to log to Pinside. You get emailed a login verification code, since you're on an unknown/new IP address. Oops, you cannot access your (work) e-mail. Luckily you have added your cell phone # to your account, so you can now hit the "send SMS instead" button and the code will be texted to you.

This it's stil the alternative_ login method, secondary to e-mail. Why? Simple: it's free. Yes, an SMS costs less than a cent, but with thousands of logins every day, it still adds up

Keep in mind, if you don't log out on your device and visit Pinside at least once a month, you should never be asked for a login code.

PS: Even if you're not adding your cell phone number, please double check that your e-mail address is correct. I still get too many messages from folks who no longer have access to their e-mail - it's quite a hassle.

#102 2 years ago

I'm getting this when I try to add my number:
    oopsie.pngoopsie.png

#103 2 years ago

I am being asked to provide a verification code every time I sign in.
    I receive a message that this is a new IP address and it sends a code to my email .
    This has only started happening this last few weeks.
    What’s changed?

#104 2 years ago

After reading the thread
    I guess this is the new normal
    I thought it was a error since my IP address hasn’t changed

#105 2 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Quick update! Starting today I've added the option to add your cell phone number to your account.
    Completely optional, of course!
    So why would you want this? Well, it's a backup way of accessing your Pinside account when your e-mail is not working properly (or if you can't access it).
    Example: you're on the road, trying to log to Pinside. You get emailed a login verification code, since you're on an unknown/new IP address. Oops, you cannot access your (work) e-mail. Luckily you have added your cell phone # to your account, so you can now hit the "send SMS instead" button and the code will be texted to you.
    This it's stil the alternative_ login method, secondary to e-mail. Why? Simple: it's free. Yes, an SMS costs less than a cent, but with thousands of logins every day, it still adds up
    Keep in mind, if you don't log out on your device and visit Pinside at least once a month, you should never be asked for a login code.
    PS: Even if you're not adding your cell phone number, please double check that your e-mail address is correct. I still get too many messages from folks who no longer have access to their e-mail - it's quite a hassle.

Quoted from yancy:

I'm getting this when I try to add my number:
    [quoted image]

Can't add my cell number either, just tried at least 5 times. Same error message as above.

#106 2 years ago
    Quoted from Moonshot:

After reading the thread
    I guess this is the new normal
    I thought it was a error since my IP address hasn’t changed

Aha! Actually a few people contacted me, telling me the exact same thing: how they were surprised to get a login code request when their IP address didn't change.

Turns out that many of you (me too in fact) have two IP addresses. One IPv4 and one IPv6. Which one gets used seems to be almost random. Sometimes you'll get connected to Pinside on v4 and sometimes on v6. I'm not a network expert, so not sure when, why or how this is determined. Maybe someone can chime in?

So you might think you are connected via your 123.456.789.123 IPv4 address when in fact you're connecting with a different IPv6 address every day.

At least, that's what I found out. I never knew this myself.

Here, check out my last few IPs and notice how most are IPv6, while there's also one IPv4 visit there:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

This is all from my home, all connections made today. My IPv6 changes very often!

(Sorry, I greyed out the full addresses, but they're all slightly different.)

FYI, I'm currently investigating ways to allow for *slight* IP address changes. For example, if your IP address closely matches a previously used IP address (same "network part" I think is what it's called) I could allow the login automatically. So, for example, I could check if the first two number groups of your IPv4 are the same and then let you log in without a login code request. For IPv6 I think it's the first 4 alphanumeric groups. Again, i'm not a network expert so i need to look into this some more.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#107 2 years ago
    Quoted from SonicZone:

Can't add my cell number either, just tried at least 5 times. Same error message as above.

Yeah, I'm not sure either. There's some weird stuff going on sending SMS to USA/Canada. It has to do with new rules that got introduced at the end of 2021. Twilio (my sms provider) is asking me to pay them a bunch of money to get my business verified and to purchase a toll free numbe. It's all very incomprehensible.

If you could please PM me your cell phone number, I can try to send you a test SMS from my other provider (Clicksend) and see if that works better.

#108 2 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Aha! Actually a few people contacted me, telling me the exact same thing: how they were surprised to get a login code request when their IP address didn't change.
    Turns out that many of you (me too in fact) have two IP addresses. One IPv4 and one IPv6. Which one gets used seems to be almost random. Sometimes you'll get connected to Pinside on v4 and sometimes on v6. I'm not a network expert, so not sure when, why or how this is determined. Maybe someone can chime in?
    So you might think you are connected via your 123.456.789.123 IPv4 address when in fact you're connecting with a different IPv6 address every day.
    At least, that's what I found out. I never knew this myself.
    Here, check out my last few IPs and notice how most are IPv6, while there's also one IPv4 visit there:
    [quoted image]
    This is all from my home, all connections made today. My IPv6 changes very often!
    (Sorry, I greyed out the full addresses, but they're all slightly different.)
    FYI, I'm currently investigating ways to allow for *slight* IP address changes. For example, if your IP address closely matches a previously used IP address (same "network part" I think is what it's called) I could allow the login automatically. So, for example, I could check if the first two number groups of your IPv4 are the same and then let you log in without a login code request. For IPv6 I think it's the first 4 alphanumeric groups. Again, i'm not a network expert so i need to look into this some more.
    [quoted image]

For a quick workaround -- can you change your infra (load balancer) to support only ipv4? Did a quick search and it looks like the protocol is to attempt to use ipv6 if it's available on both sides and fall back to ipv4 if it's not.

There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.