• Latest reply 4 years ago by ChrisHibler
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pin Caps (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

My Pink Panther has two large caps on the bottom power board. I've read pretty much everywhere that I need to replace the large power cap in the bottom cabinet. On mine do I need to replace both?

-Thanks for the help.

Pin Caps (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure the orange cap was the original capacitor the game came with. Being almost 40 years old...
I'd suggest replacing both with new capacitors.

#3 4 years ago

Why not FIRST determine what is causing the fault that you have?

It is very bad policy to shotgun repairs on any product and pinball machines are no exception.

Have you started a thread here about what issues/problems your machine has and determined that there is a high likelihood the cap or caps are faulty?

Many suggest replacing caps - "just because" - I wouldn't be so hasty to do that. Thousands of caps have been replaced and PCB's damaged to no avail just because "the internet said to replace them".

There is no point sourcing, buying and replacing things that won't help fix your machine.

Of course you may have already proved they need replacing but just didn't mention it here?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Thousands of caps have been replaced and PCB's damaged to no avail just because "the internet said to replace them".

Pretty sure his PCBs should be fine?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Pretty sure his PCBs should be fine?

I was speaking generically about many OTHER caps that have been replaced damaging boards in the process.

My suggestion to the OP is to actually fault find and not replace things willy nilly.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Of course you may have already proved they need replacing but just didn't mention it here?

To the contrary the caps look to be performing just fine.
I've read two guides "beerorkid" and flippers.com on system 80 games and both said to replace the orange one so that's where I was coming from. I'm new to this forum and didn't really think to write a post and just say "my game is doing x, what's wrong" It's a great and now seemingly obvious idea.

Thanks for the help!

#7 4 years ago

That's the filter cap that feeds the 5V circuit. Generally it's good to replace it. But, if all is well, you can leave it.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Replacing_the_Orange_Filtering_Capacitor
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside