IMG_0035_Medusa_6.jpg
IMG_0027_Skateball_MPU1.jpg
IMG_0017_Skateball_MPU2.jpg
WP_20180330_15_07_32_Pro_FlashGordon_MPU.jpg
IMG_0029_MPU_1.jpg
IMG_0001_Centaur_MPU1.jpg
IMG_0026_Centaur_MPU2.jpg
FA70044B-2B91-4A8D-9CDD-FE93F3A2786A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago

The 2 differences I have found with the two bits MPU vs an original MPU (& have read that other people have the similar issues with) was the two bits boards were shipped with a 4049B at U14 when it should be a 4049UB - which will quite often cause feature lamp strobing & for some reason they are slower to tally up the playfield score & the bonus countdown.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Does your Two Bits board have a polyester capacitor at C16 (next to the 555) or a ceramic capacitor?

I noticed on my two bits MPU that it was shipped with a ceramic capacitor at C16.

I removed the ceramic C16 & replaced with a polyester cap - now the MPU runs perfectly & no longer running slow.

Certainly worth changing the C16 cap to polyester if the op's is a ceramic & see if it makes a difference.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I've wanted to try to build one of these. Does anyone have a component list, so I can just order everything in one shot?

I was wondering this too as I was thinking of buying a bare board & assembling one, then I saw an ebay seller selling the bare boards had a component list attached.

https://www.bobsokol.com/ebay/dash35/DASH35BOM.pdf

1 week later
#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

7 digit display games require a higher display interrupt generator frequency to reduce the effects of minor flickering/strobing on the displays which some people notice more than others.

That's good to know - all my 7 digit Bally games have the same quite noticeable flicker compared to no flickering on all the 6 digit games.

I wondered about the cause of the flickering on the 7 digit games before & sent Tom Callahan from the Repairconnection an email about it about 20 years ago. He replied suggesting to change the R22 resistor from a 4.7K to a 1K to increase the display interrupt generator from 300Hz to 350Hz.

I forgot & never go around to trying it.

#21 4 years ago

Here is one of the later MPUs as can be seen dated ‘84. This has a factory 24k resistor at R21 & trying this board in a Flash Gordon their is no flickering with the displays, No flickering with the two bits mpu either.

FA70044B-2B91-4A8D-9CDD-FE93F3A2786A (resized).jpegFA70044B-2B91-4A8D-9CDD-FE93F3A2786A (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/two-bits-mpu-with-flickering-strobing-displays-?tu=Joydivision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.