(Topic ID: 25091)

Twlight Zone vs. Tron - Help me decide which to buy?

By thedarkknight77

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which should I buy”

• Twilight Zone (Decent Shape) 49 votes
    49%
  • Tron Pro (NIB) 51 votes
    51%

(100 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG957964.jpg
IMG951700.jpg
IMG956358.jpg
IMG952224.jpg
IMG953176.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hi all - Thinking about pulling the trigger on either a TZ (Decent shape) or Tron (NIB). Assume they will cost me the same.

#2 11 years ago

Thats a good question because these pins play 180 degrees from each other. I peeked at your collection and you seem to have the bases covered as far as variety- widebody, fast-paced, depth. Nice job btw.

#4 11 years ago

Got both. Tron pro is the clear winner. TZ collects dust.

Like a relay race. Fast and sleek vs old, clunky and slow.

Still nice to have both for variety. I'd buy tron nib and trade sttng+cash and for a tz. Can't see having two widebodies in a small collection.

#5 11 years ago

You need a Lawlor pin in your collection.

TZ all the way!

#6 11 years ago

I voted for Tron, but then again I don't have a lot of love for Lawlor except NGG & ES

#7 11 years ago

I would say Tron Pro by a smidge. TZ is a great game but i find i like it better in other peoples collections and out on location.

#8 11 years ago

I couldn't get into Tron personally, so I'd say TZ. I've had mine for a year and a half and it still gets tons of play time.

#9 11 years ago

If you like a deep game with lots of shots and character, TZ. If you like the look of Tron, then Tron.

#10 11 years ago

I had to think the same question. I came across a TZ this week that is in collecter quality. It was completly shopped out when the previous owner bought it and has been in his home for a few years with very little play. What I have noticed is when people come over to our game room, they go to my new games, AC/DC and TF. Every one is waiting to play those , and the older games from the 90s ( which are in nice shap with LEDs in most of them ) just sit there, unplayed. I am trying to get the wife and kids intrested in pinball , but I wasnt having much luck untill I bought the 2 new games this year. Now every time I walk into our game room, I see one of my kids playing one of the new pinballs. My wife is the same way. She loves playing AC/DC and TF. She is all the time telling our friends to come over and play the games and talks to them about AC/DC and TF. After noticing all this, I came to a conclusion that from now on it was going to be nothing but new games that I buy.

BUT ,with all that said, I bought the TZ. I thought how often do you come across a collector quality TZ that seems to keep going up in value every year if not every month. The new games will always be there but the nice older games you only stumble across now and then, so thats why I went in the direction I did. Over all, I want a few nice "A" titles mixed in with the newer Sterns.

In your case, you just have to fiqure out do you want a clasic older game like TZ which will probably keep going up in value or do you want the new Tron that has all the greatest new sounds and lights that the younger generation draw to. The way Trons been selling for, who nows, they may be listed with the "A" games in years to come.

Good luck with your decesion. I thought the same this week. TZ or the new Tron. Im picking up the TZ today!

IMG953176.jpgIMG953176.jpg IMG952224.jpgIMG952224.jpg IMG956358.jpgIMG956358.jpg IMG951700.jpgIMG951700.jpg IMG957964.jpgIMG957964.jpg

#11 11 years ago

I just sold my TZ and I bought AC/DC,I have to say the new technology of Stern is better than the old 20 years Bally/William's for the game play,the new Stern is more funny for me
I plan to buy X-men and maybe the next Avengers
So in my opinion if you want real challenge go with Tron

#12 11 years ago

I don't like TZzzzzzzzzzz so Tron is the easy choice

#13 11 years ago

I love Tron. You can't go wrong with either though.

#14 11 years ago

I'd go for TZ, Tron doesn't do much for me.
I find the rules of TZ more interesting than Tron but I have never owned either just played both a fair amoung.

#17 11 years ago

I really like my TZ but for the money I'd buy a NIB pin that gets great reviews.

#18 11 years ago

If it was an LE I'd say Tron for sure. Would still lean Tron Pro, just not by much.

TZ can be a bitch to maintain, so keep that in mind when making your decision.

#19 11 years ago

I have both and love both. If I was to pick one it would be TRON. They are two way diffrent pin flow vs stop and go.

#20 11 years ago

I think TZ is a better game, but you already have 3 older games, so maybe a newer one might suit you.

I think it's a win/win.

#21 11 years ago

NIB or a A-lister in OK shape? Give me NIB any day.

#22 11 years ago

After looking at your collection you've got what I'd consider the top stuff out of my pins, if you really love what you've got and that's what I'm basing this advice on then I wouldn't buy either of these pins they probably won't excite you in the long haul, from what you've got I'd say you really like super difficulty, I would consider xmen, maybe spiderman, maybe not the popular opinion but looks like you like pins I like.

#23 11 years ago

I own neither but would get a TZ first, in fact its my #1 machine to acquire when a solid local deal comes my way

#24 11 years ago

Interesting you ask this.I have a nice, well modded TZ that I am actually trying to move to get a TRON. While I think TZ is a great game, I just do not play it much anymore.

#25 11 years ago

Tough decision! I have a TZ. Great game. Had a lot of upkeep on it though. I personally give the edge to the Tron, only because it would be NIB and maybe wouldn't require so much maintenance.
Mike

#26 11 years ago

Tron pro is a stripped down game IMO. TZ been on the top of the ratings for a long time. The game is packed with toys and innovation for its time.

#27 11 years ago

You can always get a tz down the line. Could be tough getting a tron in couple years, how big is the total run if they are done after the latest? 1000 with les? Hmmmmm

#28 11 years ago

I love my TZ, but it does require a lot of attention. If you can grab a NIB Tron for the same price I might be swayed to the NIB.

#29 11 years ago

I have own(ed) both. They were the 2 games in my collection. I recently sold the TZ. When I had play time available, it went to the Tron. You cant go wrong either way to be honest.

Good luck!

#30 11 years ago

Tron is more fun to play in my opinion, which in the end is all that really matters.

#31 11 years ago

I have owned both and I like Tron a bit more. If it makes a difference Tron modded out gets more attention if you have people over.

#32 11 years ago

Judging by your games, I think Tron would be a better fit. TZ might add variety to your line-up with stop-n-go, clunky gameplay but Tron is much more fun, imho.

#33 11 years ago

TZ all the way. By the way, have you seen that I'm selling one?

#34 11 years ago

I'd get TZ, alot of guys mentioned they sold their TZ recently, however you have to remember they've probably had it for years and it was time for something new. Head to head, I'm betting TZ is a better pin.

#35 11 years ago

I have Tron and TZ (among others) on my wish list, and at the end of the day it will most likely depend on the best available machine local to me at a fair market price. I have great machines to trade or sell for the cash to buy.

Looks like I'm in the minority in not automatically anointing Tron as an all time A list classic (like TZ), but it is a cool game and newer, meaning (one would hope) less potential repair headaches. TZ is a legend, and I agree that the reason you see alot for sale is that people have been enjoying them for years and now need new blood.

#36 11 years ago

tz my first pin and won't leave my collection. If you can get a nice one, I'd go for tz over tron.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 12.95
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twlight-zone-vs-tron-help-me-decide-which-to-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.