Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by galore2112
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sure.gif
    coke (resized).png
    musk-lawsuit3 (resized).jpg
    musk-lawsuit2 (resized).jpg
    musk-lawsuit1 (resized).jpg
    musk lawsuit-3 (resized).png
    A4786721-3BA4-492B-A259-CBE73B046120 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221118-122816 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20221118-122834 (resized).png
    1224578858_YOUTWITFACEPIC.jpg.5ffaa021a97fe98785bed5cf6f819743 (resized).jpg
    tenor.gif
    twitter-outages (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

he's only done 2 things so far... cut payroll expenses by about 85%, and got everybody talking about it. I don't know a business in the world that doesn't dream of both of those. he's 2 for 2, best I can tell.

People talked about Enron

#102 1 year ago

Where do I sign up for the “blue check”?

Talk about a “cesspool”

At least it will be a two way dumping ground now.

Great move by Elon. Novel concept. Force the twits to actually work hard.

They are “resigning” en masse. No severance owed.

Don’t let the door hit you in the arse.

Next move? Twitter to Texas.

#104 1 year ago

I see a lot genuflections here to justify what's been happening. The truth is in the headlines; Elon doesn't have a plan, never had a plan, made the world's most expensive impulse buy, and is already raising the prospect of bankruptcy. Employees, users, and advertisers are fleeing the brand. Sorry, but defending the business acumen of all makes one look like a boot-licker.

#105 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

he's only done 2 things so far... cut payroll expenses by about 85%, and got everybody talking about it. I don't know a business in the world that doesn't dream of both of those. he's 2 for 2, best I can tell.

You forgot to mention he is starving his employees now! No more free food at the office. Who's gonna look out for the 6-figure employees?

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

I see a lot genuflections here to justify what's been happening. The truth is in the headlines; Elon doesn't have a plan, never had a plan, made the world's most expensive impulse buy, and is already raising the prospect of bankruptcy. Employees, users, and advertisers are fleeing the brand. Sorry, but defending the business acumen of all makes one look like a boot-licker.

Some people have a hard time believing rich people can make stupid mistakes.

Being rich isn’t some kind of magic shield that protects people from being stupid.

I mean, spending $44 billion just to film a video of walking into a building with a sink should have tipped some of you off on that.

#107 1 year ago

Who the F knows what the outcome will be ........ and I honestly don't care
    but I support his goal of making it a place for free expression of ideas from both sides
    If it implodes and dies so be it ..... a dead twitter is better than what it was
    I think he should buy facebook next

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Being rich isn’t some kind of magic shield that protects people

IDK ..... 193.8 billion is a nice shield .... you can afford to make quite a few mistakes with that much net worth

#108 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

who the F knows what the outcome will be ........ and I honestly don't care
    but I support his goal of making it a place for free expression of ideas from both sides
    If it implodes and dies so be it ..... a dead twitter is better than what it was

lol. good answer.

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

The truth is in the headlines

Oh boy…

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Social media is only training people to be less empathetic and dumber with the attention span of a goldfish. Twitter/Facebook/TicTok are the cesspool of humanity.

I stopped reading at “the attention…”

#111 1 year ago

IDK ..... 193.8 billion is a nice shield .... you can afford to make quite a few mistakes with that much net worth

Yes, you can afford to be stupid if you are rich.

Solid point!

#112 1 year ago

A4786721-3BA4-492B-A259-CBE73B046120 (resized).jpegA4786721-3BA4-492B-A259-CBE73B046120 (resized).jpeg

Good start… but who/what the arbitrator of what gets tagged will still be up for debate

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

I like this theory
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    If anybody's looking for whales (not that I'm aware of anybody on this site who might be on the lookout for such things), might be a good concentration at Twitter now...

Whaling is popular on Pinside.

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from blizz81:

Good Friday drinking game: take a drink every time someone on pinside (a social internet platform) says "I don't use them social internet platforms anyways!!"

I thought it was an antisocial media platform.

#115 1 year ago

Is this the first time some of you guys have ever heard of a company being sold and the new owner(s) step in and restructures everything?
    I think it must be.

FYI: A rare occurrence would be if nothing happened.

#116 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Whaling is popular on Pinside.

Solid call back!!!

#117 1 year ago

A whole lot of supposedly grown men on here would do themselves a whole lot of good to stop obsessing over kids with blue hair.  I swear, the second hand embarrassment of watching presumed adults be so upset by hair dye, and ascribe such power to the kids who wear it - astounding.  Not to mention the fact that you're all clearly parroting something that's been repeated enough to wear a neural pathway through your brains, same wording every time, every one of you!  Take some deep breaths, drink some water, go outside, let your brain enjoy a little serotonin.  Or, I don't know, make an attack helicopter joke, or something else you don't have to think about, that'll show 'em, for a quick hit of dopamine.  

#118 1 year ago

I was hopeful Musk would have bought and the sent it into space to never be seen again.

#119 1 year ago

Having blue hair use to be a senior citizen joke.

#120 1 year ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Social media is only training people to be less empathetic and dumber with the attention span of a goldfish. Twitter/Facebook/TicTok are the cesspool of humanity.

Twitter is not in the same realm as FB and (especially) TikTok. A large number of Twitter users (myself included) use the platform to find out *more* information on a certain topic. If you see an article on MSM you can use Twitter to get a deeper understanding of the strengths/flaws. Often times the reporter will directly answer your question. It really is not for people with short-attention spans. When used correctly, Twitter is literally the opposite of TikTok.

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

I like this theory

Makes sense, having worked in the video games industry for many years in the past nothing being done with Twitter is anything new to me. You have to cull the underperformers and sometimes drastic change is needed. He has already said he wants to turn it into WeChat so including financial transactions, Youtube like video features, etc making it an all in one platform.

Quoted from iceman44:

Next move? Twitter to Texas.

Women outnumber men in the college educated labor force:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/09/26/women-now-outnumber-men-in-the-u-s-college-educated-labor-force/

...Texas would be a tough sell to that audience.

#122 1 year ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

A large number of Twitter users (myself included) use the platform to find out *more* information on a certain topic. If you see an article on MSM you can use Twitter to get a deeper understanding of the strengths/flaws. Often times the reporter will directly answer your question.

and going forward ... you will have more sources with different points of view for that info
    which is a win win for both sides of the isle

#123 1 year ago

What's Twitter and who is Elon Musk?

#124 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

The truth is in the headlines; Elon doesn't have a plan, never had a plan, made the world's most expensive impulse buy, and is already raising the prospect of bankruptcy. Employees, users, and advertisers are fleeing the brand. Sorry, but defending the business acumen of all makes one look like a boot-licker.

So you believe that Elon just got a wild hair and impulsively bought himself Twitter on a whim as he might purchase a toy. And you got all of that from the headlines? That's a cute theory.

Here's my theory.

Elon and a team of highly respected law firms, bankers, business consultants, all went through Twitter's books and fundamentals. At several round table meetings they discussed value and strategy planning. I'll let you fill in the blanks from there.

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Twitter is not in the same realm as FB and (especially) TikTok. A large number of Twitter users (myself included) use the platform to find out *more* information on a certain topic. If you see an article on MSM you can use Twitter to get a deeper understanding of the strengths/flaws. Often times the reporter will directly answer your question. It really is not for people with short-attention spans. When used correctly, Twitter is literally the opposite of TikTok.

Twitter/Facebook/TicTok/Intstagram = Social Media

They essentially accomplish the same thing at turning people into FOMO Narcissists that are anti-social and dumber for the experience. No one should be getting their news from social media either. People now a days do not have the ability to discern BS from reality on Social Media. Even Musk has tweeted conspiracy theories so hes not immune to its spell.

#126 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

So you believe that Elon just got a wild hair and impulsively bought himself Twitter on a whim as he might purchase a toy. And you got all of that from the headlines? That's a cute theory.
    Here's my theory.
    Elon and a team of highly respected law firms, bankers, business consultants, all went through Twitter's books and fundamentals. At several round table meetings they discuss value and strategy planning. I'll let you fill in the blanks from there.

But HEADLINES!!!!

#127 1 year ago

Who the F knows what the outcome will be ........ and I honestly don't care

Zuck is killing Facebook after Apple drove the privacy stake right through the heart. So bad that he had to change the name.

#128 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Here's my theory.
    Elon and a team of highly respected law firms, bankers, business consultants, all went through Twitter's books and fundamentals. At several round table meetings they discuss value and strategy planning. I'll let you fill in the blanks from there.

Two weeks after taking over and Twitter is finished?

I wouldn’t bet against Elon right Kim?

Plenty of Sammy Bankman Fraud’s to bet against

#129 1 year ago

The ability for a singular person to control the news/narratives is worth a hell of a lot more than 44B.

Musk's own nonsense tweets from his personal account have shifted the stock market and crypto markets, literally billions changing hands based off one dude laughing on the shitter while he tweets. Crazy that owning Twitter now gets him some control over the dissenting accounts too.

This is really not much different than governments of China/North Korea/Saudi Arabia/Iran censuring their citizens - except this guy did it the old fashioned way; he purchased the news media outlet.

#130 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

This is really not much different than governments of China/North Korea/Saudi Arabia/Iran censuring their citizens - except this guy did it the old fashioned way; he purchased the news media outlet.

Except no one is forcing you to have a twitter account or even utilize the service.

You can simply ignore it and go on with life.

#131 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

except this guy did it the old fashioned way; he purchased the news media outlet.

are you talking about Jeff Bezos' purchase of the Washington Post?

#132 1 year ago

yeah ... like he thinks he is a rocket scientist or something ... geesh

Are you seriously thinking his degrees are real? Because I have a bridge to sell you if you do.

#133 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Except no one is forcing you to have a twitter account or even utilize the service.
    You can simply ignore it and go on with life.

Sigh, yes, you and I may be able to do that but there are half a billion active twitter users and based on the reactions to previous tweets we may be the only two people ignoring them and going on with life. The impact of social media and echo chambers is very real whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Are you seriously thinking his degrees are real? Because I have a bridge to sell you if you do.

no clue ....
    but the guy built a rocket company with reusable rockets that land themselves on floating barges .... fits the scientist mold to me regardless of a piece of paper from a university

#135 1 year ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Jack Dorsey is already creating another social media site. It's in beta testing right now. It's called Bluesky.
    I'm sure all the Twitter quitters will end up there.

His project is more of a social media aggregator/dashboard for ALL social media than a standalone, so not the same. And he's such a weirdo, who would trust anything he did these days?

#136 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Sigh, yes, you and I may be able to do that but there are half a billion active twitter users and based on the reactions to previous tweets we may be the only two people ignoring them and going on with life. The impact of social media and echo chambers is very real whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Compuserve. AOL. Myspace.

They come and go.

#137 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s almost as if when you have an army of brain-dead morons who worship you because you are rich, you start to believe that you are actually a genius and can’t do anything wrong.

The best part is that Musk was caught lying for YEARS about having a degree in physics from UPenn. Turns out, he had no degree in ANYTHING - total dropout. The only reason he GOT a degree is some embarrassed investors worked to head off disaster and arranged for him to get one for show, but not in physics or economics or anything he bragged about having for years until he was caught.

#138 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

The best part is that Musk was caught lying for YEARS about having a degree in physics from UPenn. Turns out, he had no degree in ANYTHING - total dropout. The only reason he GOT a degree is some embarrassed investors worked to head off disaster and arranged for him to get one for show, but not in physics or economics or anything he bragged about having for years until he was caught.

Cite? I know he dropped out of Stanford - never seen anything suggesting he didn't grad from Penn.

#139 1 year ago
    Quoted from blizz81:

Sure, this makes sense. A mature social media platform, unlike a Tesla...

Tesla's down way over 50% since he announced his offer for Twitter. Was $381. Today $180. He's lost more than the purchase price of Twitter many times over just in the Tesla deflation since he hasn't been able to babysit it and investors started second-guessing him.

#140 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Cite? I know he dropped out of Stanford - never seen anything suggesting he didn't grad from Penn.

It was in a lawsuit from 2009. Let me see if I can dig it up. Read it a while ago...

#141 1 year ago

here this article, clearly written by a bathroom cleaning robot, explains everything... https://celebritiesobserver.com/does-elon-musk-have-a-degree/

#142 1 year ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Makes sense, having worked in the video games industry for many years in the past nothing being done with Twitter is anything new to me. You have to cull the underperformers and sometimes drastic change is needed. He has already said he wants to turn it into WeChat so including financial transactions, Youtube like video features, etc making it an all in one platform.

Women outnumber men in the college educated labor force:
    https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/09/26/women-now-outnumber-men-in-the-u-s-college-educated-labor-force/
    ...Texas would be a tough sell to that audience.

Have you not heard, Austin, Texas is the new tech haven amongst other reasons and primarily because of the college work force that gets cranked out all over the state.

He could run Twitter right out of the massive Austin Tesla plant.

75% of the work force was in the censorship department so now he doesn’t need that baggage of waste

The crybabies are out in full force now that their once hero has turned into the villain.

#144 1 year ago

I would really love to see Twitter become an anything-goes platform. The Internet is built on reasonable content moderation, legally speaking. It would be an interesting sandbox to see if it doesn’t get sued into oblivion.

#145 1 year ago

Man, I see a lot of people commenting all over the place on this stuff, like "Good riddance, 90% of those people didn't do anything anyways" and "Twitter is going to cease to exist now".

Musk also made the comments about 'going bankrupt'. It's all a show to make him sound like a genius if they don't, lol. Like they weren't going bankrupt before, unless he does something really dumb I don't see how they would now. He says this about every company he's involved with to try and make it seem like they're succeeding "against all odds".

They had to cut some staff because he way overpaid for it. Even if 90% left (which it sounds like might be the case) Twitter will not implode, at least not right away. It's kind of like if the road system staff for a state was cut 90%. There won't be any issues a long time until the first snow, then the whole thing will implode until it melts. And gradually potholes will form and the roads will gradually become unusable. But that takes quite a while to happen. That's what's going to happen now. The main app will work fine now. But when the next IOS or Android update comes out and there are problems, there won't be the staff there to update the existing app, and it will gradually fall apart.

So Twitter isn't ending overnight, and cutting 90% of the staff is really going to hurt longer term, but short term nothing is going to change.

I saw that some people mentioned up above that all this is so the top 10% stay and the bottom 90% leave. LMAO. If you're really good, and someone comes in and tells you I'm killing your remote work, you're going to work tons more hours than before for the same pay, are you staying? I wouldn't. Only people staying are hardcore Musk fans.

I was a top performer (software developer) for my old company for 15 years, and they announced this spring that everyone had to be back in the office, no exceptions. No problem, I left and got a raise with a different remote job. You know what high performers have? OPTIONS, lol. Like some of you above act like all these twitter people were lazy, and maybe some of them are, but it's no different than any other company. Working remotely saved me 1 1/2 hours a day 250 days a year, 375 hours. Hours that I wasn't getting paid for and was essentially wasting. Just think about your job. If someone told you that you now have to spend an hour commuting again, plus work 20 more hours a week minimum, plus work for the same salary, would you stay if you were a top performer there? Why would you, you're getting nothing out of this, only one who benefits from extra hours is Musk. All your friends at work are now gone too.

Think of it this way, a new owner buys a sports team, fires 50% of the bottom players, and asks the other 50% to take a 50% pay cut or leave. You think those top players are going to stay? They can go anywhere. It's only the people with no options that would stay.

Here's the thing too, at these corporations, nobody actually knows who is really good. Nobody has any idea. They have general pools of high performers but all that says usually is that this particular person is in the upper half of performance. Only the people who are really good actually know who the other good people are (because they associate with them all the time). A large portion of managers have no idea who the best people are, they just have the people they're friends with the best.

Now one danger Twitter is running right now is being hacked. If they get hacked in a big way, they're toast. Without the staffing it will be almost impossible to recover in any kind of near term time period. That's the risk Elon is running right now, what he's doing will work short term unless there's an emergency, then they're in trouble.

#146 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

So actually one of his degrees from upenn in economics is real (the third one), but it's not from Wharton business school, so half-true. But all his assertions to having a physics degree for decades are lies. Zero proof has been submitted in multiple lawsuits.

musk lawsuit-3 (resized).pngmusk lawsuit-3 (resized).pngmusk-lawsuit1 (resized).jpgmusk-lawsuit1 (resized).jpgmusk-lawsuit2 (resized).jpgmusk-lawsuit2 (resized).jpgmusk-lawsuit3 (resized).jpgmusk-lawsuit3 (resized).jpg

#147 1 year ago

Yeah, there's a LOT of detail in that thread about pretty much Elon's entire lying history.

#148 1 year ago
    Quoted from vidguy:

I would really love to see Twitter become an anything-goes platform. The Internet is built on reasonable content moderation, legally speaking. It would be an interesting sandbox to see if it doesn’t get sued into oblivion.

We've already seen "anything goes" internet with 4chan and 8chan. It's not pretty or fun unless you're a psycho. The creator of 8chan has denounced it. So, been there, done that. Doesn't work.

#149 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

So actually one of his degrees from upenn in economics is real (the third one), but it's not from Wharton business school, so half-true. But all his assertions to having a physics degree for decades are lies. Zero proof has been submitted in multiple lawsuits.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So what? He’s a genius and one of the most successful business people ever.

Anything goes. Sam Bankman Fraud. But he was just a total dumbass ultimately.

And Elon, he has the resources to hire whomever he wants.

Options in this market where tech companies are paying off people by the 10’s of thousands and freezing hiring?

Good luck with that. The “good ones” will always survive but the laggards, gonna be tough

#150 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

So what? He’s a genius and one of the most successful business people ever.

It's almost like representing yourself honestly isn't important anymore, as long as the ends justify the means. It's a lot easier to fudge the numbers when you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth: when you don't have to play by the rules, it's a lot easier to win the game.

I don't care if Twitter survives or dies, but blindly worshiping this asshat is asinine. Undying allegiance to the rich and powerful shouldn't be a point of pride.

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twitter-s-imploding/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.