Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by galore2112
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sure.gif
    coke (resized).png
    musk-lawsuit3 (resized).jpg
    musk-lawsuit2 (resized).jpg
    musk-lawsuit1 (resized).jpg
    musk lawsuit-3 (resized).png
    A4786721-3BA4-492B-A259-CBE73B046120 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221118-122816 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20221118-122834 (resized).png
    1224578858_YOUTWITFACEPIC.jpg.5ffaa021a97fe98785bed5cf6f819743 (resized).jpg
    tenor.gif
    twitter-outages (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 1 year ago

Just a good excuse for why it runs poorly in the short run. He’s going to restructure it to WeChat.

My guess anyway.

#52 1 year ago

Never had a twitter account and never will. I would be happy if twitter vanished completely, one less unnecessary "social media" platform, good riddance!

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No, he bought it to lose $44 billion cause he’s such a genius. He’s showing the business acumen and corporate leadership skills of our own Deep Root Mueller, except exponentially smarter because he’s so much richer.
    Lead us, oh brilliant Bilionaire! We are lost without you!

I don't get what Musk is doing. Everyone, and I mean ***EVERYONE*** who used Twitter knew his blue checkmark idea was a disaster. It honestly seems like he is trying to run it into the ground.

It sucks, because I really enjoy using Twitter. One example, on Sunday, while watching the NFL, you can get live commentary from the beat writers. They usually have 10x the info of the guys in the broadcast. The same is true for baseball, basketball, and etc. Also, the comments on Twitter range from insightful to super funny. I'll really miss it if it blows up (and for the record... I hate FB and TikTok... IG is ok-ish). For me, Twitter and YT are far and away the best two platforms.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I don't get what Musk is doing. Everyone, and I mean ***EVERYONE*** who used Twitter knew his blue checkmark idea was a disaster. It honestly seems like he is trying to run it into the ground.
    It sucks, because I really enjoy using Twitter. One example, on Sunday while watching the NFL, you can get live commentary from the beat writers. They usually have 10x the info of the guys in the broadcast. The same is true for baseball, basketball, and etc. Also, the comments on Twitter range between insightful to super funny. I'll really miss it if it blows up.

It’s almost as if when you have an army of brain-dead morons who worship you because you are rich, you start to believe that you are actually a genius and can’t do anything wrong.

Hes showing the world he’s lucky rather than smart with one disastrous decision after another.

There is literally no defense anybody is making for how he’s running this company into to the ground other than “he’s rich and he doesn’t care!”

That people actually believe this should tell you something about him, and something about the people who believe that.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Jack Dorsey is already creating another social media site. It's in beta testing right now. It's called Bluesky.

That's not what Bluesky is, but misinformation is chef's kiss perfect in a forum thread about social media.

I'm a longtime twitter user. Initially joined it to have a glorified group chat with my poker friends. Now I also follow some pinball folks, a handful of my favorite bands, and a couple token funny accounts. Much more control over your feed than other major social networks. You can choose to simply see all of the posts by everyone you follow in reverse chronological order. It's as useful as you set it up to be.

Don't care much about Elon either way. If the site runs, I'll stay. If it dies, I'll go somewhere else.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s almost as if you have an army of brain-dead morons who worship you because you are rich, you start to believe that you are actually a genius and can’t do anything wrong.
    Hes showing the world he’s lucky rather than smart with one disastrous decision after another.

I mean... it certainly seems that way.

If I was an investor in Tesla or Space X... I'd be very worried.

#57 1 year ago

Change is hard. It is harder than creating something new and Elon is figuring that out right now.

I have no doubt that Twitter would be successful with Elon's vision in place, but the journey to get there may kill it.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They should ban all non-hardcore pinsiders from Pinside.
    You are either all in or all out, scrubs!
    Robin needs your answer by 5pm eastern.

If you ran pinside it would be tits up in a month!! Lol

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Change is hard. It is harder than creating something new and Elon is figuring that out right now.
    I have no doubt that Twitter would be successful with Elon's vision in place, but the journey to get there may kill it.

I don't know, that blue checkmark idea was such a bad idea. It's known, across all platforms, that verification marks are way more useful to the users and platform than the actual person.

#62 1 year ago

someone gets it. gotta get the trash out before moving forward !

#63 1 year ago

Good Friday drinking game: take a drink every time someone on pinside (a social internet platform) says "I don't use them social internet platforms anyways!!"

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from blizz81:

Good Friday drinking game: take a drink every time someone on pinside (a social internet platform) says "I don't use them social internet platforms anyways!!"

Or a cranky old person starts whining about millennials and their smart phones will whining about millennials from their smart phones.

#66 1 year ago

Dude didn't do any of that. If you think you should teach your children to "reach for the stars," you should learn where the ground is first.

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:Deleted post

His kids look up to Ru Paul and that is causing him a lot of discomfort.

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

If you want to be blown away, go find their piece a year or two ago on Prince. I'm only a casual fan at most, but my god they pulled back the curtain to his estate the locked vault of recordings and what a musical genius he was.

Eddie Van Halen also left behind thousands of hours of music that will never see the light of day.

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:Deleted post

So did sam bankman fried, but not who i want my children to idolize or respect. many people can make millions and be successful .... Its how you get there

#71 1 year ago

Hey folks, I apologize for helping to steer this thread into lock territory, but really, the best place to talk about twitter is probably twitter.

#72 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hes showing the world he’s lucky rather than smart

I'm not all in on Elon, but I'm pretty sure he's a smart cat. I wouldn't call PayPal, SpaceX, Tesla, Hyperloop, BoringCo, Starlink, OpenAI, etc. "lucky" ventures.

I'll bet he has Twitter profitable again within a year or two.

#76 1 year ago
    Quoted from chucktee:

It seems that Twitter may be on life support.

I recommend CNN+ as a fall back.

#77 1 year ago

Twitter for 8 bucks or Kaneda for 5.
    This battle will be epic.

#78 1 year ago

Careful... moderators are stalking this post... i guess we can talk about Twitter, but not the stable genius who bought it...

#79 1 year ago

People thought Twitter wouldn't survive overnight and lo and behold it was working this morning, imagine that. There's so much fear mongering and panic - a lost sense of reality.

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

People thought Twitter wouldn't survive overnight and lo and behold it was working this morning, imagine that. There's so much fear mongering and panic - a lost sense of reality.

or maybe people are just enjoying a little schadenfreude as the world's richest man blows 42 billion dollars....

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

or maybe people are just enjoying a little schadenfreude as the world's richest man blows 42 billion dollars....

His money, what he does with it I care not a wit.

I'm enjoying the show though.

tenor.giftenor.gif
    #83 1 year ago
    1224578858_YOUTWITFACEPIC.jpg.5ffaa021a97fe98785bed5cf6f819743 (resized).jpg1224578858_YOUTWITFACEPIC.jpg.5ffaa021a97fe98785bed5cf6f819743 (resized).jpg
    #84 1 year ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I don't know, that blue checkmark idea was such a bad idea. It's known, across all platforms, that verification marks are way more useful to the users and platform than the actual person.

Well I'd say the implementation was worse than the idea itself. There are a lot of blue checkmarks that make money either directly or indirectly from their twitter accounts, so celebrities, politicians and influencers are all getting value from twitter, so charging for that is normal on other platforms and media.

Regardless, he dropped it when he figured out it wasn't working and admitting you're wrong quickly is a good sign.

Every internet service has fits and starts when navigating platform monetization, so it's not like this was a death blow.

#85 1 year ago

This post will be shortly deleted like the rest of yours I'm sure, but I've gotta give you some props for the Dale Bozzio reference!

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm enjoying the show though. [quoted image]

pretty sure that's the definition of schadenfreude....

#87 1 year ago

You guys are right.
    Musk has proven to be a complete failure, I’m sure this will turn out to be a disaster.

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

There's some of that, but people were treating it like a goodbye similar to the last day of high school and people go off on their separate ways...almost a sad/depressed kind of mood.

#89 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

What's Twitter? Is it an EM?

It’s a 2022 name for a new drug. This stuff will make you twitter!

#90 1 year ago

I like this theory

Screenshot_20221118-122816 (resized).pngScreenshot_20221118-122816 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20221118-122834 (resized).pngScreenshot_20221118-122834 (resized).png

If anybody's looking for whales (not that I'm aware of anybody on this site who might be on the lookout for such things), might be a good concentration at Twitter now...

#91 1 year ago

Isn't everyone using the Tik Tok now anyway?

#92 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Isn't everyone using the Tik Tok now anyway?

The two platforms are pretty mutually exclusive.

#93 1 year ago

Musk is one of the smartest folks around, gonna be just fine.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

I like this theory
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    If anybody's looking for whales (not that I'm aware of anybody on this site who might be on the lookout for such things), might be a good concentration at Twitter now...

He also knows that he bought a company where a lot of employees hate him and will work against him. He has to weed those people out.

I won't be surprised if Twitter is worth $100 billion in 5 years and everyone looks back on this as brilliant execution. Could go either way.

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

I like this theory (whaling and culling)

Sure, this makes sense. A mature social media platform, unlike a Tesla, has pretty limited growth opportunity. But like all companies in capitalism, you have to show and exude growth. So I imagine they have been existing in a stage of trying to squeeze some orange where C-suites come in and have growth ideas that probably mostly don't pan out, and they leave, and refresh repeat. Meanwhile, it takes a much smaller workforce to just keep the ship running. I think the cuts make sense down to that level.

What doesn't quite make sense to me is the plea to have the remaining employees forge on at a startup-level of work life balance, as that won't work equally in all industries / for all companies. In terms of a software/tech company, retention is already a challenge on the coasts. It think it will take a balance of appropriate compensation for the staff moving forward + some sort of growth ideas for a company/platform that's potentially already tapped out for long-term success. Maybe he and his team have ideas on the latter.

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

The two platforms are pretty mutually exclusive.

Insta?

#97 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s almost as if when you have an army of brain-dead morons who worship you because you are rich, you start to believe that you are actually a genius and can’t do anything wrong.
    There is literally no defense anybody is making for how he’s running this company into to the ground other than “he’s rich and he doesn’t care!”
    That people actually believe this should tell you something about him, and something about the people who believe that.

yeah ... like he thinks he is a rocket scientist or something ... geesh

#98 1 year ago

he's only done 2 things so far... cut payroll expenses by about 85%, and got everybody talking about it. I don't know a business in the world that doesn't dream of both of those. he's 2 for 2, best I can tell.

#99 1 year ago

IG is probably the mid-point between TikTok and Twitter

#100 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

He also knows that he bought a company where a lot of employees hate him and will work against him. He has to weed those people out.
    I won't be surprised if Twitter is worth $100 billion in 5 years and everyone looks back on this as brilliant execution. Could go either way.

Well, he traded a $8 blue checkmark for a multimillion dollar ad campaign from Eli Lilly.

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twitter-s-imploding/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.