IMG_1826.JPG
IMG_1822.JPG
IMG_1819.JPG
IMG_1821.JPG
IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG

#1 9 years ago

I have restored many games, but this is my first time using purchased stencils. First of all Travis was very friendly and helpful in purchasing the stencils. I was very nervous is using these upon my first application. Once I got used to them it was fairly easy to do. You can see in the very first picture i got a crease, with my very first stencil, it never happened again. I basically found that doing them like a decal application was the easiest way to apply them. I would get them all lined up and and temporarily hold them in place with spring clamps. Peal the backing off the first foot or so and then squeegee out the first part while the clamps held the majority of the stencil in place. Then i would finish peeling the rest of the backing off while working squeegee back and forth until i got till the end. After the first one I got it down to were it was fairly simple process. I found that on the head, cutting exactly 1/2 inch off the inside of the stencil lined it up perfectly in the middle of the head. The stencils really held up well to my paint, and came off fairly easy as well.

The only problem I had was with the registration of the final color (red) in this case. I just trimmed where needed and covered up where needed. I found it easier to align if you held a big spotlight on the backside while i continually lifted the stencil up and down till I got it really close.

Overall I am very happy with the results and would not have wanted to trace this particular game by hand. I would buy from them again. The stencils, once used to installing them, are fairly easy to install. And with minor adjustments to the registration,the project turned out really good. I hope this can help someone. Any questions feel free to email me. Todd ScottIMG_1781.JPGIMG_1781.JPG IMG_1785.JPGIMG_1785.JPGIMG_1793.JPGIMG_1793.JPGIMG_1805.JPGIMG_1805.JPGIMG_1808.JPGIMG_1808.JPGIMG_1819.JPGIMG_1819.JPGIMG_1821.JPGIMG_1821.JPGIMG_1822.JPGIMG_1822.JPGIMG_1814.JPGIMG_1814.JPGIMG_1826.JPGIMG_1826.JPGIMG_1831.JPGIMG_1831.JPG

#2 9 years ago

Sorry for the bad iphone pics, here a a few of it finished. IMG_6971.JPGIMG_6971.JPGIMG_6973.JPGIMG_6973.JPGIMG_6984.JPGIMG_6984.JPGIMG_6991.JPGIMG_6991.JPGIMG_6995.JPGIMG_6995.JPGIMG_6996.JPGIMG_6996.JPGIMG_6997.JPGIMG_6997.JPG

#3 9 years ago

How about a list of the brand, type and colors you used. Looks AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!

#4 9 years ago

wowow that looks sharp, great job

#5 9 years ago

I make the physical stencils at Twisted Pins (not the digital art files from which they are cut), and I must say GREAT job! A stencil this complex is not for the weary. Heck, it even takes me a long time to weed and prepare a Centaur stencil kit.

Great idea with the clamps, registration on a stencil this complex is always going to be the most difficult step.

And another friendly reminder folks, do NOT use Krylon brand spray paint on Twisted Pins stencils. The translucent blue polyacrylate mask material we use now does NOT play well with Krylon.

Bravo!

#6 9 years ago

Looks way better than the factory Bally paint job!

#7 9 years ago

Todd,
Turned out really nice,great job!

#8 9 years ago

Thanks for the compliments guys, I use automotive paint (which is not cheap) and spray with a hvlp gun. This particular cabinet had a lot of chunks and cabinet damage. It does not look the same anymore! I went with a metallic silver to give it a little more pop. The main reason I started this thread was to comment on the stencils. I am very happy with the results. Thanks. Todd Scott

#9 9 years ago

Fantastic work, Todd.....

#10 9 years ago

Nice upgrade to the Automotive Paint. I agree it's faaar better and thinner. Easy to apply with a basic HF HVLP gun. I've used the Dupont product from Pep Boys.

#11 9 years ago

I think I will step up to the big boy HVLP gun & get away from rattle cans. Is there a guide that shows what all you will need? I have a decent sized compressor already.

#12 9 years ago

Dasvis, I think you would be alright with a harbor freight gun for minimal use. You can always step up to a devilbiss or high end would be a sata. If I were you I would go to auto value and they could help you out quite a bit with right stuff. Todd

#13 9 years ago

Great work Todd-your cab really looks sharp. Yes auto paint and HVLP is the way to go.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from crixpin:

And another friendly reminder folks, do NOT use Krylon brand spray paint on Twisted Pins stencils. The translucent blue polyacrylate mask material we use now does NOT play well with Krylon.

What rattle can paint does work well with Twisted's stencils?

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

What rattle can paint does work well with Twisted's stencils?

I used Rustoleum & it worked fine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twisted-pins-stencil-review-w-pics-centaur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.