(Topic ID: 282713)

It's Time for The TWIPY Pinball Awards! Come hang out TONIGHT at 8PM Eastern!!

By pin2d

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 163 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jaeg
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20210412_195643074_HDR.jpg
    source.gif
    EB44AB77-2AE4-48F8-A715-E818C6006CF5 (resized).png
    voting (resized).png
    2020-TWIPY-Cheat-Sheet (resized).png
    TWIPY-2020-Program (resized).png
    TWIPYS-Contest-Swag-1 (resized).jpg
    unisex-tri-blend-t-shirt-charcoal-black-triblend-5ff4944e8d49a_1024x1024@2x (resized).jpg
    kiss-cut-stickers-5.5x5.5-5feb7c9220d4f_1024x1024@2x (resized).jpg
    enamel-mug-white-12oz-5feb7a8ee93cc_740x (resized).jpg
    TWIPY 2020 Program (resized).png
    IMG_5202 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5201 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5200 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5199 (resized).JPG
    2020-TWIPY-Cheat-Sheet-3.png

There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 2 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Agree, something is very off here. Hoping it was a website typo, and not a vote-counting typo.

"A first choice selection was assigned three points, second choice assigned two points, and one point for third choice. Those points were then added up for each nominee to determine the result order for the category"

The placing is based on the points - not # of first place votes.

#152 2 years ago

I thought the TWIPY awards were just a fun thing with some pretty sketchy results in the past. This year, when Stern won for their STh UV kit instead of people like gouveia and other talented guys here who make games better in their garage, I realized my initial gut reaction was correct.

The STh UV mod isn't a mod if it was planned for the game all along--they even put installation holes in the ramps knowing it was coming. (Even though it IS super-cool.)

I feel bad for all the innovative people who really thought out ways to improve upon things in a game...or add something that was never meant to be there in the first place.

#153 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Fix #1 should still be to stop considering unfinished games.
    I like sonic, but the game isn't finished.

totally agree, but it is the screwed up conditions of what qualifies the game into category, like last years results

#154 2 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

I dont like that homebrew and retheme were lumped together.

Yes, the MadMax retheme was awesome, and deserved to win something.

#155 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

"A first choice selection was assigned three points, second choice assigned two points, and one point for third choice. Those points were then added up for each nominee to determine the result order for the category"
    The placing is based on the points - not # of first place votes.

Ah, of course. I thought the votes column was showing "Total Votes" not "Total 1st Place Votes". Missed that. I see that this was the only category where the winner wasn't also the one with the most 1st-place votes.

Hmm, I'd say it probably wasn't worth doing ranked voting. Since all of winners except one would have been the same with traditional "one choice" voting, as far as I can tell. And in the one category that the ranked voting actually did change a result, the ranked voting just helped a repeat winner win again. How cool would it have been for that South American location to win?

Plus, the ranked voting made the actual vote process much more cumbersome. So I'd say go back to one-choice voting for next year, but no one asked me!

#156 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I thought the TWIPY awards were just a fun thing with some pretty sketchy results in the past. This year, when Stern won for their STh UV kit instead of people like gouveia and other talented guys here who make games better in their garage, I realized my initial gut reaction was correct.
    The STh UV mod isn't a mod if it was planned for the game all along--they even put installation holes in the ramps knowing it was coming. (Even though it IS super-cool.)
    I feel bad for all the innovative people who really thought out ways to improve upon things in a game...or add something that was never meant to be there in the first place.

100 percent agree. This is not a mod - it is a game accessory by the manufacturer. It should not have been in the mod category.

And if it technically was a 'mod' the rules need to be made to exclude manufacturing accessories to their own games as a 'mods'.

Even Stern categorizes it as a game accessory. https://shop.sternpinball.com/collections/accessories/game-stranger-things+type-accessories?sort_by=manual

How pinheads actually voted that #1 MOD is very surprising to me. Cool yes - probably should have been in the game anyway - but mod? Nope.

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tmezel:

I was looking through the voting and did not understand why Brazil did not win. They got the most votes. [quoted image]

i'm just going to speculate it had something to do with accidentally awarding Brazil with Jackbar votes, which clearly would have put us ahead of Logan, for the 1st place win. Let's all just assume I'm right. Thank you all for your support, it's a real honor to win this TWIPY.

#158 2 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Hmm, I'd say it probably wasn't worth doing ranked voting. Since all of winners except one would have been the same with traditional "one choice" voting, as far as I can tell.

That's not the sole reason for rank voting. It also gives more value to the list than just

source.gifsource.gif

#159 2 years ago

I've been in touch with Jeff ( pin2d ) and he's explained some things to me. I'd like to apologize for casting any doubt or aspersions on the Twipy awards results in post #152 above. It's too late to remove the post, but I can at least man up and say it was wrong of me to do. The guy works his ass off to make the hobby better and I should have just left it alone. Sorry, Jeff!

#160 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've been in touch with Jeff ( pin2d ) and he's explained some things to me. I'd like to apologize for casting any doubt or aspersions on the Twipy awards results in post #152 above. It's too late to remove the post, but I can at least man up and say it was wrong of me to do. The guy works his ass off to make the hobby better and I should have just left it alone. Sorry, Jeff!

Thought what you said about the mod vs planned add on where spot on. WOZ witch was the winner in my book.

#161 2 years ago
    Quoted from Stebel:

Thought what you said about the mod vs planned add on where spot on. WOZ witch was the winner in my book.

totally agree

#162 2 years ago
    Quoted from Stebel:

It was more the questioning of "sketchy" results in the past that was objectionable. I think everybody can agree the UV winning best mod this year was a little questionable.

1 week later
    #163 2 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Congrats to Jaeg who won the TWIPY Challenge and will get the TWIPY swag pack!!

I like the Shaq quote! We had over 5500 votes this year, voting is open to everyone and anyone. You make a good argument on Stern winning the mod category, should a manufacturer be allowed to win favorite mod? Last year they won as well, with the Jurassic Park amber shooter rod. We could do something where we do a separate mod category for manufacturers and another one for after-market creators? Worried about having too many categories though. Anyway, that is on the list to discuss for 2021.
    Homebrew is one of my favorite categories but one of the toughest to define, because when is a game "finished"? The TWIPY Committee has spent HOURS talking about eligibility requirements for home-brews. Right now they are:
    - Must be flipping
    - Cannot be commercially made
    - Home Brew machines can only be eligible for one year
    - Creators will be contacted to help determine eligibility
    So we reach out to all the homebrew nominees to make sure their game is flipping, and to let them know they can only be eligible for one year, and would do they want it to be this year. We've done that the last two years and it has worked pretty well.
    Full eligibility document can be found here: https://twipys.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2020-Eligibility-Document-Updated-1_6_2021.pdf

Thanks for the swag pack. Awesome show!

IMG_20210412_195643074_HDR.jpgIMG_20210412_195643074_HDR.jpg
    There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twipys-are-back-for-a-4th-year-pre-voting-starts-tomorrow/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.