Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by underlord
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

letitgo.jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    6665A520-D4C7-4684-8007-86346EE15FD3 (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

We need a new number one podcaster who is not out to destroy companies because they don't listen to him. Give us a podcaster who loves pinball for the sake of pinball, and not a speculator of games. Give us a podcaster who is funny and entertaining, not someone who knows how do do everything, just ask him. When you vote, vote for someone who is trying to improve the hobby, not set up his own rules the manufacturers are supposed to follow. Have fun, enjoy your games, and vote for someone that brings joy and laughter to the hobby.

#2 4 years ago

Or just never care aboot the dumbass twipy awards. Been working for me.

#3 4 years ago

You are probably right, I just hate to see an arrogant know it all tell everyone how to run a business when all they are is a marketer.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Heeeeeeey what did the TWIPYs ever do to you?!?!

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Heeeeeeey what did the TWIPYs ever do to you?!?!

#6 4 years ago

And the winner is...... Kaneda.

#7 4 years ago

If you don't like him, don't VOTE for him.
    If you don't like him, don't listening to him simple.

#8 4 years ago

Arcade Pinball Talk needs to start a podcast called, “pretty nice flipper gap”

#9 4 years ago

But i will.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademrs:

We need a new number one podcaster who is not out to destroy companies because they don't listen to him. Give us a podcaster who loves pinball for the sake of pinball, and not a speculator of games. Give us a podcaster who is funny and entertaining, not someone who knows how do do everything, just ask him. When you vote, vote for someone who is trying to improve the hobby, not set up his own rules the manufacturers are supposed to follow. Have fun, enjoy your games, and vote for someone that brings joy and laughter to the hobby.

6665A520-D4C7-4684-8007-86346EE15FD3 (resized).jpeg6665A520-D4C7-4684-8007-86346EE15FD3 (resized).jpeg

If you don’t like. Don’t listen. Simple.

Vote for what you enjoy.

There are plenty of other podcasts that are just flowers, rainbows, happiness and light.

It’s at the point now that podcasters are choosing sides when negative issues arise. Choose to bury your head in the sand and ignoring issues because it might/will piss off a manufacturer or discuss them openly.

As a consumer I can only effect change directly by a couple things. 1. Be informed about issues. 2. Vote with my wallet. I recently cancelled my jp Le order because I couldn’t get a good enough response on what happens when I get a machine with those issues.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

If you don't like him, don't VOTE for him.
    If you don't like him, don't listening to him simple.

It is simple. If you don’t like Kaneda, don’t listen. Listen to another podcast and vote for them for best podcast.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Arcade Pinball Talk needs to start a podcast called, “pretty nice flipper gap”

Maybe “they” will discuss that on the next video.

#13 4 years ago

There are some really really good podcasts. I don’t think it’s as sure of a thing as it was the last two years.

#14 4 years ago

My favorite part of last year's TWIPY's was when the hosts booed themselves when announcing This Week In Pinball.

It made an awkward situation really funny.

#15 4 years ago

Double post

#16 4 years ago

I listened to two of Special K’s podcasts. Mostly. Never really listened again. I’m surprised he doesn’t refer to himself in the third person all the time actually.

Other podcasts are ok but other than tech repairs in detail not much I’m interested in other than new releases, and they can be heavily skewed.

#17 4 years ago

If a company gets destroyed due to poor playfield qualities, how is the number one podcaster (whom you evidently listen too) to blame? The reason he is the number one podcaster is due to the fact that he is in nobodies pocket book. He can actually say it how it is. With much due respect to all of the other podcasters (who are also amazing) the current number 1 made a choice to give up manufacturers love and go for bettering these machines. If everyone in the press just agreed that everything is awesome, why would these manufacturers try to better the end product? Thanks to the number one podcaster, and of course his listeners, our playfields will be much better and the manufacturers feel the pressure to actually innovate over time. Anyway, you know who gets my vote

#18 4 years ago

I have way too much time on my hands so I listen to most of the pinball podcasts out there.

I'd love to give my honest assessment of each one but nothing good would be accomplished so I'll just say that, IMHO, mediocre pinball podcasts far outweigh the good ones.

The good news is that we have a wide array of pinball podcasts to choose from.

#19 4 years ago

Hate to admit it, but K really does have the best pinball pod. I listen to 6 or so of the other pods weekly that are good for a listen and def entertaining, but k is just so different. He delivers the news but doesnt flinch at controversy or shy away from it... it just seems more “real”. Of course he’s a bit flamboyant and maybe egotistical, but damn if he doesnt tell it how he sees it. I respect that. Sorry

#20 4 years ago

I listen to Kaneda, Special When Lite and TWIP. I enjoy all three. I don’t think there is anything wrong with someone speaking their mind. It’s a free country after all. That doesn’t mean you have to agree with every thing he says, but you can certainly respect his opinion. After all, if all three podcasts delivered the same material in the same manner then there would be no reason to listen to all three. In my opinion, that would be a bad thing!

#21 4 years ago

I listen occasionally however I like the fact that he doesn't kiss ass like the rest of the podcasters. The rest of them are basically all fan boys of any game just so they can get an interview with a designer or invite to a factory. Frankly, they are all a waste of time IMO. Like I really want to spend hours listening to two annoying guys talk about their favorite shots in pinball...or speculate as to what pinball is next.

#22 4 years ago

Does the winner get a statue?
    Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg

#23 4 years ago

Chris Bucci really needs to make more videos. THOSE I could watch over and over again.

#24 4 years ago

I can believe we never won, but for FFS, we don’t even get invited to this shit.

#25 4 years ago

I was once a regular listener of Kaneda and even was a Patreon subscriber to his shows but he gradually wore on me with is negativity. So much so that I was constantly reminded that I did not have to listen to "Special K". That is sage advice. Unfortunately, I did not heed it and I listened to his #400 podcast. That one exemplified all the things that I find irritating about him. His incessant boasting was nauseating. He constantly proclaimed himself to be a self appointed guardian of pinball and chided that we should be glad that he, unlike all other podcasters, is looking out for us. Does he ever listen to himself? Don't his listeners find it sadly amusing that he claims "I get $300. an hour" but then he asks them to make donations so that he can take his wife to dinner. He tells the manufacturers that they cannot run their business without his help. If they don't accept his offer he then proceeds to bash their product; he once admitted that he does have a vendetta against American Pinball because they slighted him by not calling him for his help. But, beyond his self proclaimed expertise as a marketing 'expert', what are his qualifications for running any company? I doubt he has ever built, designed or created anything mechanical in his life, especially a pinball machine. To be clear, I'm not saying he is a terrible or 'mean' person (the topic of another one of his recent 'poor me' podcasts) though I do understand why others may think so. What I am saying is that what he says is often needlessly sarcastic and overly critical. Besides ripping manufacturers, have you heard him describe other podcasters' efforts? And yet, he wonders why few, if any, will come on his podcasts. He just needs to listen to himself. He frequently badmouths people in general that are on Pinside and questions why people spend so much time on it. If it is such a waste of time, why then is it that he is so very much aware of everything that is on the site? He says people are getting angry and yes, they are. It seems to me though that he is instigating much of it by 'role modelling' the same bad behavior that he decries. If you don't build a game the way he wants it, all he does is bitch about it. His comments, like those in #400, frequently have so much insincerity and wallowing in alternating bouts of self aggrandizement and self pity that they are hard to ignore. So henceforth I will take all the good advice, freely given, and choose to simply ignore him and his antics. I know he won't miss me and likewise I will not miss him. And yes, I am no longer a Patreon of him. One last point though. I just find it hard to believe that he is the TWIP winner for 2 years now. Now, he is the only podcaster that is already actively campaigning to be number 1 again. I do hope the voters send a message by not voting for him because he could really benefit from a dose of humility.

#26 4 years ago
    letitgo.jpegletitgo.jpeg
    #27 4 years ago

I think the one thing some people who are critical of his efforts fail to see is that his primary profession is marketing. That entails creating hype, keeping products top of mind, keep products in the public’s eyes, etc. He’s just doing the same thing for himself (i.e., his personal product) and his podcast. It’s all intentional and with a purpose. I actually think he’s doing it with great success. I mean, look at all the discussion it generates. I think there is a saying that goes something like - any press is good press. I think in his mind that is the case here.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademrs:

I was once a regular listener of Kaneda and even was a Patreon subscriber to his shows but he gradually wore on me with is negativity. So much so that I was constantly reminded that I did not have to listen to "Special K". That is sage advice. Unfortunately, I did not heed it and I listened to his #400 podcast. That one exemplified all the things that I find irritating about him. His incessant boasting was nauseating. He constantly proclaimed himself to be a self appointed guardian of pinball and chided that we should be glad that he, unlike all other podcasters, is looking out for us. Does he ever listen to himself? Don't his listeners find it sadly amusing that he claims "I get $300. an hour" but then he asks them to make donations so that he can take his wife to dinner. He tells the manufacturers that they cannot run their business without his help. If they don't accept his offer he then proceeds to bash their product; he once admitted that he does have a vendetta against American Pinball because they slighted him by not calling him for his help. But, beyond his self proclaimed expertise as a marketing 'expert', what are his qualifications for running any company? I doubt he has ever built, designed or created anything mechanical in his life, especially a pinball machine. To be clear, I'm not saying he is a terrible or 'mean' person (the topic of another one of his recent 'poor me' podcasts) though I do understand why others may think so. What I am saying is that what he says is often needlessly sarcastic and overly critical. Besides ripping manufacturers, have you heard him describe other podcasters' efforts? And yet, he wonders why few, if any, will come on his podcasts. He just needs to listen to himself. He frequently badmouths people in general that are on Pinside and questions why people spend so much time on it. If it is such a waste of time, why then is it that he is so very much aware of everything that is on the site? He says people are getting angry and yes, they are. It seems to me though that he is instigating much of it by 'role modelling' the same bad behavior that he decries. If you don't build a game the way he wants it, all he does is bitch about it. His comments, like those in #400, frequently have so much insincerity and wallowing in alternating bouts of self aggrandizement and self pity that they are hard to ignore. So henceforth I will take all the good advice, freely given, and choose to simply ignore him and his antics. I know he won't miss me and likewise I will not miss him. And yes, I am no longer a Patreon of him. One last point though. I just find it hard to believe that he is the TWIP winner for 2 years now. Now, he is the only podcaster that is already actively campaigning to be number 1 again. I do hope the voters send a message by not voting for him because he could really benefit from a dose of humility.

A paragraph or two would have been nice.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

There are some really really good podcasts. I don’t think it’s as sure of a thing as it was the last two years.

Yeah but they all split the vote with each other.

I like Chris and his podcast in general. My only issue is he posts too many podcasts. He'll joke about how other weekly pods are 2-3 hours and his is only 30-45 minutes...but then he posts 4-5 episodes in a week. That and he isn't nearly as knowledgeable about game history as I would want. In terms of being an entertaining-host/trainwreck, he's mile ahead of most others. (Although I do love the occasional Chris Franchi radio-zoo-crew rant)

#30 4 years ago

Curious that he has yet to address the fact that he listed his Big Lebowski for sale about a week ago on eBay for $21000 after producing multiple podcasts stating he would not flip the game for profit because it wasn’t right in his mind. He even interviewed a guy who did flip TBL to ask him “the tough questions” and asked him how he could make a profit on a game that another pinball enthusiast had lost $8500 on.

The game was up for sale for about a day, he pulled it down after I emailed him and called him out on it. He told me to “wait for the facts before reacting”.

Until he addresses the issue I have to assume he was just waiting for others to take the arrows from flipping that game and then try to sneak his sale in under the radar.

My guess would be he’s not addressing it because he doesn’t want it to affect his TWIPY vote, lol.

Still waiting for those “facts”...

#31 4 years ago

Busted can’t be trusted!

#32 4 years ago

this very thread may become his inspiration for episode #403

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I can believe we never won, but for FFS, we don’t even get invited to this shit.

I voted for you guys!

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

lol

Yep - "white space" and succinctness are good things!

Quoted from underlord:

I listened to two of Special K’s podcasts. Mostly. Never really listened again. I’m surprised he doesn’t refer to himself in the third person all the time actually.

A whole two out of over 400 podcasts?! Whoa

He does tend to refer to himself with the "royal we" a lot which is a bit odd. Perhaps he's including his wife, but she doesn't seem to be directly involved in his podcast.

As a side note: I bet I know which Pinside thread is going to be mentioned in a forthcoming podcast.

#35 4 years ago

lol...do you people ever learn......

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah but they all split the vote with each other.

True. The best Kaneda episode will be the one he does the moment after he doesn’t win a twipy. Haha. Let’s do it people!

#37 4 years ago

I just listen to him while I’m fishing and mastering my baiting...

#38 4 years ago

Like people have mentioned above, the reason Kaneda's is so much better is because he can have actual opinions whereas everyone else has to tread softly. It's kind of like the difference between your local sports reporter who has to be nice to all the players/teams or otherwise they'll cut him off, vs the national guy on the radio who says whatever he wants because he's not interviewing anyone and has nothing to lose.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

True. The best Kaneda episode will be the one he does the moment after he doesn’t win a twipy. Haha. Let’s do it people!

Start the podcast coalition of the willing! Get everyone to start yet another podcast but with 30 hosts. It would blow through Jeff's trophy budget, but it just might work.

Either way, we get to see Chris melt down when he sees there is a conspiracy to deny the physical manifestation of all the validation he requires. (j/k because I know you're reading this Chris)

#40 4 years ago

I'm not going to wade too deep into this topic, but will say I prefer listening to podcasts where industry insiders are interviewed. Zach's latest episode with Dwight and the discussion of gb code was very well done. Though not a podcast, the swl stream with GG the other night also was well done. I do wish harder questions were asked (e.g., playfield issues), however.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

lol...do you people ever learn......

Every day is a learning experience here on pinside.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Every day is a learning experience here on pinside.

Or a forgetting experience...depending on how you look at it!

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Or a forgetting experience...depending on how you look at it!

Is Lyman on code? When's the stream?

#44 4 years ago

Kaneda was openly expressing caution about Homepin because of his dubious backstory at the same time the local podcast down here was openly shilling for him despite his dubious backstory.

This coincided with the Homepin/AussieArcade propaganda machine at the time being at it's grubby high water mark on pinside.

That simply further reinforces to me how little you can rely on the integrity of those podcasters who are clearly in the hip pockets of others and tailor their content accordingly whilst deliberately ignoring warning signs.

3 in a row - make it so.

#45 4 years ago

Is Chris a big personality? Seems that way. Is he successful in his career? Again, it appears that way. I can see where that could run some people the wrong way but he has opinions that I find interesting and I appreciate it that he looks at things from a business lens. Plus, I think he does bring to light issues that others poo poo or ignore.

For the haters, the more you complain about him, the more that you make people get interested in him.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Curious that he has yet to address the fact that he listed his Big Lebowski for sale about a week ago on eBay for $21000 after producing multiple podcasts stating he would not flip the game for profit because it wasn’t right in his mind. He even interviewed a guy who did flip TBL to ask him “the tough questions” and asked him how he could make a profit on a game that another pinball enthusiast had lost $8500 on.
    The game was up for sale for about a day, he pulled it down after I emailed him and called him out on it. He told me to “wait for the facts before reacting”.
    Until he addresses the issue I have to assume he was just waiting for others to take the arrows from flipping that game and then try to sneak his sale in under the radar.
    My guess would be he’s not addressing it because he doesn’t want it to affect his TWIPY vote, lol.
    Still waiting for those “facts”...

Chris said a while ago that he had something "special" to announce regarding what he was doing with his TBL. He said he was definitely not flipping it. He made it sound like he was going to do something magnanimous. He's since dropped the subject all together.

Chris also said a long while ago that he was going to do a show investigating where the money went from that alleged scam pinball charity. I was looking forward to listening but nothing ever came of it.

Chris says alot of things.

Yeah, I still listen.... sure, he can be grating at times but he's far from being the most obnoxious podcaster out there.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Chris said a while ago that he had something "special" to announce regarding what he was doing with his TBL. He said he was definitely not flipping it. He made it sound like he was going to do something magnanimous. He's since dropped the subject all together.
    Chris also said a long while ago that he was going to do a show investigating where the money went from that alleged scam pinball charity. I was looking forward to listening but nothing ever came of it.
    Chris says alot of things.
    Yeah, I still listen.... sure, he can be grating at times but he's far from being the most obnoxious podcaster out there.

Yep I heard that statement as well. He even made a big deal of saying that he was saying ON THE PODCAST that he wasn't going to flip it.

If he's planning to do something magnanimous then I would think he would have made a podcast announcement to that effect before listing it. I also would think he would have put something into the eBay description to that effect. Lastly, why pull the listing down if you are planning something magnanimous? If that's the case then just sell the thing and do your grand gesture and ride off into the sunset.

Chris talks a lot about how he holds others accountable for what they say (specifically manufacturers). Does he hold himself accountable for what he says as well?

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

To be fair, it was just one paragraph.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademrs:

Jeebus Crisp man. It’s just a podcast from a nobody.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twipy-podcaster-award and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.