(Topic ID: 348035)

TWIPY media categories removed, this is why we can’t have nice things!

By PantherCityPins

77 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you agree with removing the media categories from the Twipys?”

• Yes, there was too much toxicity around the awards. 30 votes
      13%
    • No, the categories should be kept the same regardless of any one person’s behavior. 112 votes
      48%
    • Who the hell cares, it’s a stupid plastic trophy! 90 votes
      39%

(232 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

applause.gif
    IMG_2423 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    609smh (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 12.04.11?PM (resized).png
    main-qimg-7f33e25a1467c3b36ededd30ec13dc81-lq (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20231213_144900_Messenger (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1702497983076 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20231213_141146_Facebook (resized).jpg
    20231213_140954 (resized).jpg
    ChrisKooluris (resized).jpg
    IMG_5348 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1074 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1353.gif
    giphy (8).gif
    IMG_6778 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 627 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.
    #1 77 days ago

Well, it finally happened. A certain section of this hobby is so toxic and ridiculous that the Twipy organizers have decided to remove all pinball media categories going forward.

Congrats guys, you did it! Hope you are proud of yourselves, it was a stupid award anyway.

#2 77 days ago

Legit question: Can we have some background (without the thread getting locked)?

#3 77 days ago

Why being so vague? The only toxicity here is the the cancelation of Chris (Kaneda), despite I'm not a fan of his Character (IMO narcissistic Egomaniac).
    His show is undeniable the most popular and people like his "controversial" views on prices, game quality and live-values.

This year, Chris would have gotten my vote, just because of the ongoing cancel culture.

#4 77 days ago

I’m not versed in all the drama but I will say the Loser Kids were pretty worked up over something on their last episode.

Dennis Kriesel said he didn’t want to be associated with the award anymore due to the toxic behavior that has happened this year and that guy usually tries to stay out of the BS.

Something happened this year that was over and above the usual allegations of paying for votes or voting with multiple accounts, etc.

At some point all the smoke indicates fire. Stop making excuses for an obvious toxic narcissist.

#5 77 days ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

At some point all the smoke indicates fire. Stop making excuses for an obvious toxic narcissist.

You are absolutely right...Colin should have never poked the bear and needled Chris by removing him from the content creators page and then publicly exclaiming he did it because her personally does not like him. If Colin would have acted like an adult, none of this drama would have happened.

#6 77 days ago

Surely someone can explain what’s going on without name calling and finger pointing right?

#7 77 days ago

Why does anyone even care? I mean how lame can pinball get? Honestly... Just say the name "Twipy". Imagine telling a girl you are dating that you need to get home to watch the Twipy Awards! lol

Pinball is fun, it's a great hobby to enjoy and be part of but we don't need all this extra stuff to try to glamorize a hobby that is well... Kinda dorky.

Go play and enjoy your games. Stop trying to make pinball into something it isn't.

#8 77 days ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

Surely someone can explain what’s going on without name calling and finger pointing right?

Right? There's been a well-documented history of egregious behavior that never previously resulted in this level of scorched earth reaction. What new offenses would have provoked such a response? Without any explanation, it just looks to those of us on the outside like a case of take-my-ball-and-go-homeism.

#9 77 days ago
    Quoted from Seraph:

Right? There's been a well-documented history of egregious behavior that never previously resulted in this level of scorched earth reaction. What new offenses would have provoked such a response? Without any explanation, it just looks to those of us on the outside like a case of take-my-ball-and-go-homeism.

Some podcasting pinball nerds pissed off some other nerds and they changed their nerdy pinball awards.

#10 77 days ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

As bland/factual as I can make it without taking sides...

- Kaneda gets in fights with people
    - Kaneda and Kineticist got into a fight
    - Kineticist bought TWIP
    - TWIP cancelled all the media awards

#11 77 days ago
    Quoted from Seraph:

Legit question: Can we have some background (without the thread getting locked)?

Yes.....

One person who is wayyyyyy more popular than anyone else was not liked by the industry insiders and they wanted this person out. After trying various things without success to push or disqualify this person..... they're taking their ball and going home.

Extremely immature.

On the other side of the coin however, the popular person with the big following made a bunch of mistakes too: He thought (incorrectly) that this event was impartial and in whatever way he's viewed doesn't matter..... this isn't the case since it is privately owned and they do have the right to exclude anyone they want. This is an industry marketing event, pure and simple NOT an actual awards event. It has nothing to do with votes and more to do with politics - similar to how the academy works in Hollywood.

What should have happened (IMO)? They should have let this person win (if they had the votes again - which they almost certainly did), and then said "After so many wins, you are the champion and can no longer run". That fixes everything: Winner is happy, organizers are happy, voters are happy, slot is open from then on out for someone new. Instead we get people acting like children, and no one is happy.

#12 77 days ago

There is clearly more going on that people who listen to all of this know about though. Who is Colin? What are the Loser Kids mad about? What’s all this about canceling?

Looking for mostly impartial details without having the time to actually have listened to any of this.

#13 77 days ago

meh, I ignore the TWIPY anyways. It's dumb

#14 77 days ago
    Quoted from scootss:

As bland/factual as I can make it without taking sides...
    - Kaneda gets in fights with people
    - Kaneda and Kineticist got into a fight
    - Kineticist bought TWIP
    - TWIP cancelled all the media awards

Exactly as I said

#15 77 days ago

Dumb decision to cancel all the pinball promoters and all their hard work due to a personal issue with one . The TWIPYS was a people’s choice award and in doing this they gave the people no choice .
    Disagree with this decision but life goes on .
    Happy holidays folks

IMG_4758 (resized).jpegIMG_4758 (resized).jpeg
    #16 77 days ago

This is so stupid. I enjoyed watching the TWIPY's ever year. How the hell are they going to keep stupid categories like "Best location" and "best convention" and get rid of the only other highly interesting categories (besides top game awards) that recognize content creators that put in a lot of hard work and dedication? Because somebody who was likely to win makes you BIG MAD? What a bunch of jokers and babies.

#17 77 days ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

Why does anyone even care? I mean how lame can pinball get? Honestly... Just say the name "Twipy". Imagine telling a girl you are dating that you need to get home to watch the Twipy Awards! lol
    Pinball is fun, it's a great hobby to enjoy and be part of but we don't need all this extra stuff to try to glamorize a hobby that is well... Kinda dorky.
    Go play and enjoy your games. Stop trying to make pinball into something it isn't.

Imagine telling a girl most of the hobbies you could be interested in. This is such a cope excuse. Tell a girl you make multiple posts a day on a pinball message board, not even a FB group, HOW LAME CAN YOU BE!? Like bro, just let us enjoy things. It doesn't matter if its dorky or not, we all know being pinball nerds isn't scoring us cool points, its just something we care about.

#18 77 days ago

At least K wont have to keep buying new shelves to hold his trophies.

#19 77 days ago

Official statement that was emailed out:

twipy announcement.jpgtwipy announcement.jpg

#20 77 days ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

You are absolutely right...Colin should have never poked the bear and needled Chris by removing him from the content creators page and then publicly exclaiming he did it because her personally does not like him. If Colin would have acted like an adult, none of this drama would have happened.

I'm sure everything would still be fine if Jeff Patterson was still running TWIP. This new guy seems to be in over his head.

#21 77 days ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I'm sure everything would still be fine if Jeff Patterson was still running TWIP. This new guy seems to be in over his head.

The community bullied Jeff out of TWIP and lets not all pretend Pinside isn't exactly the same after banning Kaneda. The overall community is the constant in these situations.

#22 77 days ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

At least K wont have to keep buying new shelves to hold his trophies.

Won’t.

#23 77 days ago
    IMG_6648 (resized).jpegIMG_6648 (resized).jpeg
    #24 77 days ago

Let me know when they decide to remove Colin all together and then we can all celebrate.

Say what you will about Chris, this move by Colin to censor something he doesn't like is ridiculous. More importantly, who is this guy? What a joke to think his view even matters to the point where major changes are being made. To say he's irrelevant would be putting it nicely.

It's too bad b/c TWIPY is the only people choice awards. You have Zach's awards, but to even acknowledge that as anything but his attempt to award himself and his friends (like Loserkid - who can't get that Buy Buy Buy out fast enough) with recognition would be a joke.

#25 77 days ago

The thing is, if this was just about Colin vs Kaneda I’d ignore it just like the other times people have gotten into it with Kaneda but this seems to be more. There are multiple media creators all saying the same thing so something over the line must have happened.

#26 77 days ago

Lots of kaneda snowflakes seem triggered

#27 77 days ago

What a short-sighted and disappointing move. Content creators put on a lot of time and effort (for little to no gain) and keep the hobby fun and interesting for many. I always enjoyed getting to vote for the iepinballs, TNTs, FoxCitiesPinball and Triple Drains of the world as a tiny show of support for what they do. So now all the awards will just be Stern acceptance speeches? Who will care enough to vote or tune in for that?

#28 77 days ago

Honestly, the Media category was the ONLY reason I even tuned in to the TWIPY's. Yeah, there is drama around that category..which is fun and hilarious.

Super lame decision to remove it.

#29 77 days ago

There are multiple media creators all saying the same thing

A lot of creators are just pushing buy now. Money seems to trigger most things. People are blaming the market on Kaneda with his wait and see. The market is what it is but all these distros and or folks getting their super discounts for pushing the throw all your money to these companies. Money is always the real agenda.

#30 77 days ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

A lot of creators are just pushing buy now. Money seems to trigger most things. People are blaming the market on Kaneda with his wait and see. The market is what it is but all these distros and or folks getting their super discounts for pushing the throw all your money to these companies. Money is always the real agenda.

I understand painting Zach with that brush since he’s a distro but Dennis? Loser Kids? Unless you are implying a kickback scheme I don’t see how they benefit financially from calling out whatever behavior occurred.

#31 77 days ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

People are blaming the market on Kaneda

There are actually people dumb enough to think something like this? Good God…

#32 77 days ago

I understand painting Zach with that brush since he’s a distro but Dennis? Loser Kids? Unless you are implying a kickback scheme I don’t see how they benefit financially from calling out whatever behavior occurred.

I dont know for sure which, but yes podcasters get a big discount on games. Maybe some direct as Distros or others from the Distro they keep saying " if you need a game, make sure you call XXX".

#33 77 days ago

(Flame suit on)

IMO, in the short time Colin has forced himself onto the pinball media, he has done the impossible....He's made Chris a sympathetic figure.

Is it possible for someone to agree on the fact that Chris can be a complete a**hole and also that cancel culture is a bad thing? This whole "positivity in pinball" angle Colin is promoting smacks of censorship. Favorite podcasters of mine (a couple who are friends) were requesting to be taken off the ballot for consideration when they knew they had zero chance of winning in the first place. (Having said that, I am officially requesting that I not be considered for the Nobel Peace Prize).

Colin fired the first shot by taking over TWIP and immediately erasing anything having to do with Chris' past TWIPY wins. I'm not excusing anything Kaneda has done in the past (I've also had my run ins with him) but IMO the entire thing has been a really bad look for Colin and the TWIPYs.

#34 77 days ago

I’m not sure that removing the media categories is “cancel culture”. They aren’t telling anyone to not listen to Kaneda or not pay for his Patreon. They aren’t asking people to call his employer and get him fired for his behavior. That’s what I think of when I hear “cancel culture”.

It seems that they just decided that the media categories carried with them a toxicity that they didn’t want to be associated with.

#35 77 days ago

I’m not sure that removing the media categories is “cancel culture”. They aren’t telling anyone to not listen to Kaneda or not pay for his Patreon. They aren’t asking people to call his employer and get him fired for his behavior. That’s what I think of when I hear “cancel culture”.
    It seems that they just decided that the media categories carried with them a toxicity that they didn’t want to be associated with.

The "cancel culture" comes from the fact that after taking over TWIP, Colin deleted any history of Chris winning in the past from the site. He also deleted all of his reviews, both good and bad. He excluded him from a pinball media mixer with the threat of calling the police if he showed up. He also posted articles including dozens of pinball content creators, some who get close to zero listens, and excluded him.

Sounds like the epitome of cancel culture to me.

#36 77 days ago

Never really paid that much attention to This Week in Pinball, always just found it to be a rehash of the past week in Pinside !

and paying to find out what come out next is pretty lame!

#37 77 days ago
    Quoted from Waxx:

The community bullied Jeff out of TWIP and lets not all pretend Pinside isn't exactly the same after banning Kaneda. The overall community is the constant in these situations.

Who was bullying Jeff? I'm not up to date with this possibly. The only one I know that was for sure bullying Jeff was Deeproot, and he stepped away after quite a few threats got thrown his way. whats the full story here I am genuinely interested

#38 77 days ago

This is a lot of work for such a small thing. "They removed the awards because the guy doesn't like me. That's funny. Oh well." Move on Kaneda. This is a waste of time. As much energy you have for someone removing your name off a website, reflect on the actual crazy, directed, ill-intent stuff you wrote Don, who was your biggest fan, and didn't deserve any of it.

But yes, you deserve the Twipy if there is one. Making pinball manufacturers dance for pizza and do factory tours deserves an award.

#39 77 days ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I dont know for sure which, but yes podcasters get a big discount on games. Maybe some direct as Distros or others from the Distro they keep saying " if you need a game, make sure you call XXX".

Are you sure? I've only heard of discounts as a stern army and/or IFPA perk, not a podcaster perk.

https://www.ifpapinball.com/menu/sternrewardsprogram/

#40 77 days ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

The "cancel culture" comes from the fact that after taking over TWIP, Colin deleted any history of Chris winning in the past from the site. He also deleted all of his reviews, both good and bad. He excluded him from a pinball media mixer with the threat of calling the police if he showed up. He also posted articles including dozens of pinball content creators, some who get close to zero listens, and excluded him.

Still doesn’t explain the outrage from other podcasters. Did you listen to the last Loser Kid? That guy was pissed.

Something significant happened either from Kaneda himself or one of his minions.

#41 77 days ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Never really paid that much attention to This Week in Pinball, always just found it to be a rehash of the past week in Pinside !
    and paying to find out what come out next is pretty lame!

I don't think most of K's subscribers are subscribing just to find out what comes out next considering the day after K reveals that information, it ends up on Pinside and other podcasts. I (and maybe we) subscribe in part for scoops, but also for candid takes, opinions, entertainment, discussion, etc. It's far more than just scoops.

#42 77 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Are you sure? I've only heard of discounts as a stern army and/or IFPA perk, not a podcaster perk.

Advertising costs money.

#43 77 days ago
    IMG_1150 (resized).jpegIMG_1150 (resized).jpeg
    #44 77 days ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

The "cancel culture" comes from the fact that after taking over TWIP, Colin deleted any history of Chris winning in the past from the site.

Screenshot from just now off the TWIPY site.

All the results are still there.

IMG_6837 (resized).pngIMG_6837 (resized).png
    #45 77 days ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

This is a lot of work for such a small thing. "They removed the awards because the guy doesn't like me. That's funny. Oh well." Move on Kaneda. This is a waste of time. As much energy you have for someone removing your name off a website, reflect on the actual crazy, directed, ill-intent stuff you wrote Don, who was your biggest fan, and didn't deserve any of it.
    But yes, you deserve the Twipy if there is one. Making pinball manufacturers dance for pizza and do factory tours deserves an award.

I don't want to get into the weeds too much here, I like Don and I actually consider him a friend. Lets not pretend this is a one sided story here though.

#46 77 days ago

Still doesn’t explain the outrage from other podcasters. Did you listen to the last Loser Kid? That guy was pissed.
    Something significant happened either from Kaneda himself or one of his minions.

I did. I like Scott alot. He's a fellow Utah pinhead and a friend of mine on Facebook. In this case, I respectfully disagree with some of what he said.

One of the things I think we can find common ground on is Chris can be a complete drunken buffoon and has made some terrible choices in the past.

People can disagree and still respect each others opinions. It's a sign of the times that some feel they have to "pick a side." I fear this is what Colin has done.

#47 77 days ago

Screenshot from just now off the TWIPY site.
    All the results are still there.
    [quoted image]

He reinstated them after a few days of backlash.

#48 77 days ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

You should get both sides of the story; https://www.kineticist.co/post/timeline-of-a-kaneda-meltdown

#49 77 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I was listening to a podcast, I believe it was Pinball Party, and while talking about the down market it was mentioned that even with the discount they get from Zach on NIB it wasn't worth the hit they would take reselling. So yes, I do think certain podcasters get perks including discounts on games.

#50 77 days ago

I've read that and am fully aware of Chris' past poor behavior. Hell, he didn't even include the Fix it Felix debacle.

There are 627 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twipy-media-categories-removed-this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things?hl=anago and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.