3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,412 posts
  • 246 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 249 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

glowinthedarkphonesNew (resized).jpeg
    Screen-Shot-2020-06-28-at-2.29.18-PM (resized).png
    Flipping_Off_Cancer-Low-Res_900x (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 12.38.32 PM (resized).png
    yeti-working (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    IMG_3123 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3125 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3126 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3131 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3132 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3128 (resized).JPG
    Giveaway Items.gif
    Color-768x454 (resized).png
    2019-09-28 09_13_25-TWIP TUESDAY_ September 24th, 2019 - This Week in Pinball (resized).png
    gtbXxXd (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #605 Stern getting Godzilla license discussion. Posted by pin2d (1 year ago)

Post #611 Link to podcast discussing Godzilla license and stern. Posted by pin2d (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

And we're back up and running - Rock the vote!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZMRJ9VV

link says I voted even though I have not...

Thought you may want to know.

I will try PC at home later for you also.

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Not including Lexy is bullshit. It's totally available now and in people's homes, while Pirates, Houdini and *Thunderbirds* (really?!) aren't.

yeah, the poll is both biased and inaccurate, but most polls are TBT.

4 weeks later
    #106 2 years ago

so Pulp Fiction is the announcement after all this?

Come on Jeff, Pulp Fiction was rumored to be Stern/Mark Ritchie months ago and then the most recent rumor was that there was licensing issues (guessing the main voice actors and music needed to do it right).

If you are going to hype, then you need to deliver. Where did you research to pull this info that the license is owned. Give some legs to it by putting it out there IMHO. I know there are others that are connected and often go search for rights purchases. i also know that Stern has a nasty habbit of just buying up rights to prevent others from possibly getting them, so many never happen.

#118 2 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I heard Mark left Raw Thrills to go to Stern back in the Summer of 2017 . . . although I'm not quite sure why he's still attending our engineering meetings every week . . . and we're still sending him a paycheck. Weird for sure

guy has pulled off the double dip! lol

I have always dreamt about pulling that one off. Find a new job and see how long you can call in sick, be on PTO, and get just enough done to pull a salary at the old place before being fired...

#140 2 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Screw that . . . I just finished my proposal to management that Mark needs to be fired immediately. You can't work for a competitor in the industry behind our back and not expect consequences. I hope he has his resume updated

If you really care about the future of pinball... make it so!!! lol

Quoted from rotordave:

So the fact that the guy doesn’t even work for Stern doesn’t sort of sway your opinion just a tiny little bit ...?
    rd

nah, not really... Many designers have other jobs in the current world of pinball design. Ben Heck, Scott D, heck even Pat Lawlor supposedly had much of the general layout down for DI well before it came to JJP fruition.

It is not like designing a game has to be full time and with the cycle time issues Stern has had it actually seems logical that they would do something like take on more side work (like KaPow stuff already).

#263 2 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Agreed really nice artwork, its one pin I really wish they managed to get out of the doors, would have been another Arnie keeper for me.
    Photo of the whitewoods/prototype game below, doesn't look like the art would have fitted the playfield layout.

Edit: Looking again, the artwork would have been a fairly close fit, although I’m wondering if 2 artists worked on this as the playfield art/likenesses are certainly a lot better than the translite.

Is there any other info about Total recall? I would love to get a better idea of how it was all supposed to work?

Was it a competitive or cooperative game? Who controlled the upper pf? What is going on under the upper pf. How did balls move between games?

etc... I think the concept is really neat and would love the hear more.

2 weeks later
    #280 2 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Around the Playfield with the guys at the Head2Head Pinball Podcast!
    http://thisweekinpinball.com/around-playfield-head-2-head-pinball/

anyone else read this in their AUS accent?

I have been listening to all their episodes lately. Very entertaining and fun.

1 month later
    #321 2 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

I liked his "buying a Judge Dredd" answer and that he joked about the retirement rumors

I am confused. Does he really not like judge dredd?

1 month later
    #336 2 years ago

Are you coming up for MGC?

If not, you should! Seems like a bunch of the reporters/ pod casters/ stearmers are missing this for some reason and honestly they should not.

MGC is possibly as big/bigger that TPF (space wise) this year and gonna be some exciting stuff happening.

1 month later
    #384 2 years ago

should share it on r/dataisbeautiful

People would like it and may be good exposure.

#386 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I'm a number guys myself, so appreciate the article.
    I suspect pinball had a real spike in the 2012-2013 time frame, and is still growing, just not as much as that 1 single year did. And that doesn't mean it is dying or anything else, it just means there was a huge influx of people that 1 year and steady growth since.

do you think there is a specific reason that year saw the growth?

What caused it?

#390 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Not sure. That was when I came in, and it felt like I was a newbie along with a whole lot of other people at the same time.
    Pinball Arcade was a key component in my own personal journey, and it seems like it was for a lot of other people. I remembered I liked pinball, found the app in the app store, then was playing Medieval Madness. Before long I was looking for somewhere to play it in real life, and then I was on Pinside and bought my first pinball.
    Maybe my story isn't that different from a lot of people.

good thought.

when did pinball arcade first come out?

#405 2 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

We're not even close to having that many games on location these days.

Quoted from unigroove:

The operators market is nowhere near what it was in the early, or even late 90s. It may be up from 10 years ago, but still only a shadow of early 90s numbers.

that is incorrect in some cities.

Some cities and operators have way more pinball on location now than there ever was in the 90s.

Specifically cities like Seattle come to mind.

1 month later
    #451 2 years ago

I thought that Alice art was by Scott G (WOOLY) ?

3 weeks later
    #511 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This must be them then. Except all growed up now.

picture checks out

gary stern (resized).jpg
    #549 2 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

People complain about licenses all the time and I get it. Not everything is for everyone. I’ve never seen an episode of Batman ‘66 or Munsters.
    But I listen to the Beatles! I gotta say, I’m very surprised at how many people are complaining about a (possible) Beatles license. It is a huge license that IMO is timeless.

As much as anything, I think a theme like this can only work if stern does not screw it up and honestly, what percentage do they actually get even close to good? Traditionally the bigger the theme the shittier the game and less they put in. I want to play pinball, so all I hear when stern talks about all the money they are dumping on anhuge license is that we need to lower our expectations on toys, new features, and game play.

1 week later
    #610 1 year ago

Sorry, but this is NOT just business for business.

It is lame and shows the companies true colors yet again.

#621 1 year ago

Stern has a known history of buying licenses just to stop others from making them.

This was a dick move, plain and simple.

#628 1 year ago
    Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

That was Tri-Star... not TOHO. Same as the current films (WB / Legendary)... not TOHO.
    TOHO is much smaller. Shin Godzilla only played independent and small theaters last year everywhere but Japan, while "King of the Monsters" will play every theater on the planet next year when WB releases it.
    While it's impossible to want that title more than we did, they are the big fish and will get whatever they go after in most cases. We were "flapping our gums" about Godzilla LONG before we were a company, so kinda hard to hide our love for that title now.
    If that's "just business", then I guess we just learned a lesson. I have literally pushed titles that came here, back to Stern because it was the right thing to do... but hey, that's "just business" at Spooky.
    Such is life... and Spooky is fine. Disappointments are going to happen. We move on.

straight from the source. Rub it off and on to the next thing.

#629 1 year ago

the sad part is how many great licenses are "locked up" by Stern that they will never make.

I have to wonder if it eventually catches up to them when companies realized they potential lost revenue and brand recognition from allowing them to pay the small fee to hold but not execute?

#642 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Stern would happily crush every other company, they liked being the "only" pinball company out there.

all the more reason to vote with dollars.

I do agree that Stern pulling this move is the equivalent to them finally admitting Spooky is impacting their sales and wanting to sting back. Luckily Spooky gets the last laugh with an original theme that is killing it a nearly sold out licences ACNC, and of course Danessi #2 around the corner.

The next form of flattery will be when they do a non-licensed theme or traditional style game to copy the moves of Spooky.

This all legitimizes the impact Spooky has had on pinball and it is a great thing!

#646 1 year ago

greatness is often emulated

#665 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

A Godzilla pin with some big ol' Groot hands

they are just going to recycle the code so might as well reuse the stupid hands also, lol.

#688 1 year ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I think you are reading way too far into it. I can just as easily flip the script and say stern gambled first on a retro game in WNBJM that was also an original theme. Ghostbusters certainly wasn't a counter to AMH, one was a 150 games, the other was a monster license that sold like crazy based on the theme alone. Stern has been doing music pins long before Spooky was and the IMDN license was rumored to have been acquired before RZ was even a thing. I guess Spooky is copying stern and JJP now with color changing LED's? Or is it that they just realized it's in demand and makes a better product?
    You can pretty much take any 2 companies in the same industry and find a way to argue that one is copying the other and then flip the script and do the exact same thing with the other company.

you can attempt to rewrite history however you want.

Intent and reality are pretty clear to those paying attention. Just sayin...

You can flip the script, but it is inaccurate to do so.

3 months later
    #927 1 year ago

If is play like seawitch nobody will play a ball for a minute anyway

3 months later
    #1049 1 year ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

To be fair . . . I'm pretty sure my wife and kids hate me at this point

is it only $1

#1054 1 year ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

They add up! Time to buy my wife something nice [quoted image]

I honestly have no idea why you guys dont just skim off 25% for all the effort.

2 months later
    #1130 1 year ago

no MGC coverage?

#1137 1 year ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

of course they will continue the fee. its funneling money directly to the top players and their friends.

In case anyone needs a reminder of whom took home the vast majority of the money from these "it is just $1"
    https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=28932

Those dollars add up and no small coincidence when you note the top of that list and the head of the IFPA

I am sure it had nothing to do with the decision to start charging the buck though...

#1139 1 year ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Zach actually took home $0 out of the NACS pool at Nationals. His prize was the same prize as every previous year (NIB Stern Pro).
    Let me know if you need any additional assistance getting that Wisconsin ranking system started

Nah but thanks. I largely stopped playing competitively. More fun to play casually. I spent plenty of time helping build competitive pinball in WI over the past 5+ years only to have the rules rapidly change for the benefit of ultra competitive folks that I care little about catering to at the detriment to the masses. There is little doubt that the changes are what directly slowed the growth of ifpa sanctioned events despite the continued huge boom in pinball as a whole.

Happy for you and your family that those “just a buck” entry fees are adding up.

I look forward to your eventual reality show and full sponsorship.

#1156 1 year ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Weren’t we a superstate though? Things didn’t even slow in WI.

Actually they did. I have the spreadsheet but on old cpu. WI did see a bump to offset the overall decrease due largely to titletown. That is a great venue where many are going to play and happy for any fee just to experience those games. This year will see even more numbers with the return of MGC to ifpa and the sheer volume of titletown. I surmise that nobody will even qualify for state without at least one trip to green bay. Without the creation of titletown then wi numbers would have been way down

Eric is doing tons for competitive pinball in WI and I hear his location is likely one of the best anywhere.

Heck, I even plan to make it up sometime just to play the games ( I don’t care about ifpa points anymore)

#1158 1 year ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Just say the word . . . [quoted image]

Weird flex, but cool.

Thanks but I still have some friends whom care for them and for the ocassional sanctioned event I play in, I know they like the base points from me playing to be included rather than supressed. If you have to pay the buck, then might as well let those guys get the benefit.

Also, gotta hold on to that top 1000 through the year so I can buy a beatles on close out with IFPA deal

Bonus points that there is this one local loser whom I still rank higher than despite not playing competitively. It grinds his gears so worth it.

#1160 1 year ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Suppressed players get included in the base value of the event. The name of suppressed players are simply not displayed in the results under the player's real name. All other calculations are the same.
    We're ready when you are with Beatles on the rewards program

Quoted from ifpapinball:

Suppressed players get included in the base value of the event. The name of suppressed players are simply not displayed in the results under the player's real name. All other calculations are the same.
    We're ready when you are with Beatles on the rewards program

Is beatles on IFPA deal now? If so, pls message me deets.

Thx

#1165 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

I was a fairly vocal critic of the $1 fee (see posts here to rehash old history - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018), but in my area, it had pretty much zero effect on tournaments. The same tournaments are being held, new tournaments are being added regularly and new players are continuously joining the scene. While I still am not a big fan of the dollar fee, it has been a non-issue and I can't see IFPA going away from it at this point.

yeah I see no reason for them to go away from it. TBT it seems like such a success, I am not sure why they would not change it to $2? It is only another buck after all.

2 months later
    #1191 1 year ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Open Letter to TWIP Readers

I gotta say that this is all really strange to get all hurt over (to the point of cancelling a game you presumably wanted and frankly is the best thing to be built by JJP to this point).

There are many inaccuracies and publicly berating JJP for not telling you games were on the line for 2 weeks is silly and honestly well below your typical quality product. Once you became a paid insiders service, things are going to change with how some in the industry treat you. That is just the reality.

You were told a white lie than really made no difference besides you were no the first to be able to report on it.'

All your reaction does is erode reader base faith in your lack of bias on games/manufacturers/etc... and if anything it could cause others to also pull back formt eh things they may tell you.

not that you asked for it, but just my advice.

Forget about it and move on. you are better than it.

#1200 1 year ago

Is Bill and Ted not a rumor?

I have been hearing that every few months for about a year so I figured it would be on the list?

Am I the only one hearing that. 3 different sources that have all had some lucky insights in the past, so I have started to will it into existence also

#1208 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Wasn't the whole B&T thing just some photoshop by Dead Flip? Just like how he did it with some other concept themes that Stern probably won't go after. He has a few friends at Stern and people really think he'd just leak years of planning for the lulz...come on guys.

I heard the rumor well before that.

I always kind of assume they were using those fun mockups to judge fan response. I assume some are actually being worked on.

#1210 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah but what is pinside's opinion really worth

not sure, but they apparently convinced Stern that Maiden was a good theme. If the designer is even saying that nobody else wanted to touch it, then it goes to show what a shit theme it was.

Managed to sell well do to design and ruleset from Elwin being a damn golden god that understands what collectors want despite the crap theme.

9 months later
    #1387 77 days ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

- TPF Clearance Sale

unclear to me, is this actual swag from TPF (official merch), or that of a vendor?

It seems advertised as official, but it dont think it is since it does not go to their website.

1 month later
    #1400 43 days ago

just wanted to say thanks for always putting this info together each week.

My life has gotten busier which means less time for pinball. I really appreciate you keeping this all together and organized each week!
    Nice way to catch up and have the videos and links in a single spot.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 9.95
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 17.50
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pin Monk
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9,650.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside