Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,600 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 86 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15_G (resized).jpeg
    Alex-PXL_20210816_214617200-2048x1152 (resized).jpg
    safe_image (resized).jpg
    28828191_2130936530468121_5394942295120187397_o (resized).jpg
    Williams Mashup Vol 2 Translite-4 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.21.30 PM (resized).png
    Arcade1Up-Banner-1-e1625015245371 (1) (resized).jpg
    205789224_4224325530961975_2339908732094246552_n (resized).jpg
    200387345_10159716994453627_133682609964272322_n (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.23.51 AM (resized).png
    TWIP6 (resized).jpg
    189032753_10161094107497586_7190923247058081221_n (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinball_mountain_illustration-1536x2048 (resized).jpeg
    Mandalorian-LE-Details-Ambient-22 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #605 Stern getting Godzilla license discussion. Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Post #611 Link to podcast discussing Godzilla license and stern. Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TreyBo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#894 5 years ago

I expect the line "TEASER: The license is an 80s movie many people have been craving!" will get the rumour mill churning

1 month later
    #951 5 years ago

The Zombie Yeti thing has to be a tshirt or poster right?

2 months later
    #1012 5 years ago

I can't get over how bad of an theme idea that is. It shows zero knowledge of their demographic. Did they only want to sell a dozen games?

It's cool that they wanted to try something different. I like the lane switch on the ramp ala The Shadow. But I wouldn't trust their engineering to pull off the building mechs, it seems kinda simple, I think those piggie targets would be more annoying than fun, who knows if the canon would be fun the millionth time, etc.. The pops instead of slings (with ball guides) seem theme appropriate. But what a terrible theme... They should be glad they went bankrupt before being laughed out of the showroom.

1 week later
    #1027 5 years ago

You'd be better off just asking for donations than trying to charge $240 a year to hear rumors a hour before they hit pinside.

#1036 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

It is the time that is the biggest challenge.

Have you been able to get more volunteers to help you?

If you need a break or need to reduce posting in general, people will understand. Don't stretch yourself too thin or let this project ruin your passion for pinball. This hobby isn't exactly full of new and exciting developments to warrant constant coverage anyways.

Don't make your hobby your job.

#1040 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Not quit my day job, no. I don't see TWIP ever getting to that point, I don't think that is realistic. Not looking to get rich on this.
    There are costs associated with the website, but the biggest challenge has always been the time. I am trying to make enough on it to justify the time it takes. Without getting into too many details, I want to make it "worth it" for the time it takes away from my wife/family, so I talked it over with them and set a goal to get to $X in 2019 to keep TWIP going.
    Also, I set up different tiers to try to find different things that would interest different people. I know $20/mo is a lot to ask, but some people are very interested in the rumors/speculation/information (I am one of them), so hopefully this will appeal to some.

I sorta wanna know the price you put on spending time with your family vs running a website for strangers addicted to pinball...I hope it's a big number.

Get more people to help you

#1053 5 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

If I told her I was getting rid of one for Vday she might let me sleep in the same room again!

When will Stern realize the money to be made if they made a camping kit for new games. Play all day, sleep under it at night

4 months later
    #1206 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Is Bill and Ted not a rumor?
    I have been hearing that every few months for about a year so I figured it would be on the list?
    Am I the only one hearing that. 3 different sources that have all had some lucky insights in the past, so I have started to will it into existence also

Wasn't the whole B&T thing just some photoshop by Dead Flip? Just like how he did it with some other concept themes that Stern probably won't go after. He has a few friends at Stern and people really think he'd just leak years of planning for the lulz...come on guys.

#1209 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I heard the rumor well before that.
    I always kind of assume they were using those fun mockups to judge fan response. I assume some are actually being worked on.

Yeah but what is pinside's opinion really worth? It's mostly people who will buy whatever is new, people who will never buy new, people who will only be disappointed after building up a game in their head, etc. I mean sure, use it as a free data point, but know that the data is skewed because of the kinds of people who frequently post on pinside.

If I was Stern, I'd primarily gauge the opinion of distributors. They're the ones who have to sell what Stern is serving. They're the ones talking to people ready to buy. They know the market better than pinside.

#1214 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

not sure, but they apparently convinced Stern that Maiden was a good theme. If the designer is even saying that nobody else wanted to touch it, then it goes to show what a shit theme it was.
    Managed to sell well do to design and ruleset from Elwin being a damn golden god that understands what collectors want despite the crap theme.

Yeah and pinside was wrong about Maiden being a good theme. Elwin didn't seem to be into Maiden either, but he was able to graft it onto his design (Plus who knows what options Stern gave him to pick from)

It is a great game though. It's done well the past year while the pinheads get their fill. But in my experience, random people don't like it. Don't care for the theme, don't understand the rules, it's got some tough shots, not many obvious objectives to them, etc...

#1216 4 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

If you ask them what they want, they want the next game like that last one that sold best.
    That's why we get Metal pin 1, 2 ,3, 4...
    You MAY sell more if you slip in a product (license) wich does not have an audience as big, but "hungry" and has not been catered to.
    Like an Anime (Akira, GitS) or Videogame (Mario, Sonic, Zelda) Pin.

While I think you're right that there would be some confirmation bias, I would think the distributors also know the value of a diverse offering to have on their showfloor.

#1217 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Iron Maiden Prem does great on the mostly n00b-player route I help with. Not jjPotC great, but very well, and jjPotC is much newer.

I guess it just really depends on the context of the location. Iron Maiden next to a Transformers and a Fish Tales gets its butt kicked in drop in a place that has done well with a variety of titles, from Batman 66 to Monster Bash to WWF Royal Rumble.

#1219 4 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

That is right of course.
    To some degree at least. Games like WWE offer some diversity... but noone buys it so it just blocks floor space and money.

WWE was just a straight up game. The wrestlers people care about was on the most expensive version, and the affordable version was full of wrestlers that only kids care about. Just bad choices all around. And that's without getting into that dumb upper playfield.

I think JJP does a much better job with offering a diverse lineup in their lineup (which makes sense considering Jack was a distributor first)

1 year later
    #1466 3 years ago

I can't wait until the gossip and speculation as to why everything was fine last Friday, but oh shit cancel all current plans on Monday.

#1480 3 years ago

That game was designed by the same people as The Mafia?

Kudos on them for finishing a product even if it may not set the world on fire.

#1488 3 years ago

That sculpt does look very nice. It's interesting how the ramp is in pieces and uses what looks like a ramp flap to put the pieces together. Is it just part of the prototype design or can their ramps be partially disassembled? It's always a serious pain to get to a particular spot that requires taking off ramp assemblies.

Honestly, they spend an alarming amount of time making sure the game is easy to work on lol. The glass lift system, the printed components on the underside of the playfield, all the solderless connections they spoke of...

#1493 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

This is fairly common with ramps that can't be thermoformed in a single mold due to stacked features. GOTG has this, as well as Twister...off the top of my head. I have contemplated doing this to get people unobtanium ramps for games which are normally too big for my machine. Hurricane and Mousin' Around come to mind here.

Yeah I sorta wondered if the shape was the reason, but thanks for chiming in and with some examples. I don't think I've owned or worked on a game with ramps like that (at least not that I noticed)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TreyBo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-this-week-in-pinball?tu=TreyBo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.