Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,600 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 86 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15_G (resized).jpeg
    Alex-PXL_20210816_214617200-2048x1152 (resized).jpg
    safe_image (resized).jpg
    28828191_2130936530468121_5394942295120187397_o (resized).jpg
    Williams Mashup Vol 2 Translite-4 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.21.30 PM (resized).png
    Arcade1Up-Banner-1-e1625015245371 (1) (resized).jpg
    205789224_4224325530961975_2339908732094246552_n (resized).jpg
    200387345_10159716994453627_133682609964272322_n (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.23.51 AM (resized).png
    TWIP6 (resized).jpg
    189032753_10161094107497586_7190923247058081221_n (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinball_mountain_illustration-1536x2048 (resized).jpeg
    Mandalorian-LE-Details-Ambient-22 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #605 Stern getting Godzilla license discussion. Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Post #611 Link to podcast discussing Godzilla license and stern. Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JodyG.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#493 5 years ago

I am having a hard time seeing how The Beatles license is going to move me in the ways the person being interviewed is describing. I am seeing a bunch of hype and hyperbole though.

#580 5 years ago

Notice how every new game we do not know about yet is touted at revolutionizing the industry? I'm hearing it here, Deeproot, and some new/unknown/unannounced manufacturer mentioned on a certain podcast. We could potentially have 3 new gold standards for pinball in a matter of months! (or more hot air)

1 week later
    #615 5 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

Anybody else notice that Beatles is going to be a "classic pinball" design. Surprising?

Yet someone close to the project was saying how revolutionary and amazing this layout was going to be. Hypesters are worse than politicians these days.

#616 5 years ago
    Quoted from LoserKid_Pinball:

I get Spooky is competition, but really? Why does Stern bully Spooky like they do? Stern had to know that Charlie and fam love Godzilla. Heck when they bought their first pinball machine (Firepower 2), they played it so much that the artwork rubbed off the playfield. So they got the bright idea to retheme Firepower 2 as a Godzilla theme.
    The 8 years Spooky has been a podcast, they have talked about Godzilla in almost every podcast. Oh and this isn't the first time either. As soon as Stern heard Spooky was making a Zombie theme pinball machine, Stern ran out, got rights to the Walking Dead, and built it so that it would come out the same time as Spooky's zombie themed pinball machine.
    Did you know Spooky and co are big Munsters fans? Guess who bought the rights to Munsters shortly after Spooky attempted to get them? If you said Stern, you'd be right.
    Stern, stop bullying Spooky!

Sounds like Spooky needs to keep their mouths shut more before they announce their next licensed theme they want to do. It sucks, but there is a reason companies like to keep things a secret for as long as possible.

1 month later
    #854 5 years ago

He may be a pinhead, but he's no doctor.

1 month later
    #921 5 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

A lot of recent Sterns are really lacking in features, but the art and layouts tend to do a good job of making it look like more is happening than there really is.

Star Wars is really bad, IMO. But it also kills it on location simply due to theme.

3 months later
    #1021 5 years ago

$20 a month to be fed unsubstantiated rumors? April 1st is over a month away...don't cheapen your brand with this nonsense.

#1025 5 years ago

I am still kind of floored by the size of your balls or championship level stupidity here with the blatant attempt to milk cash out of people by selling unsubstantiated rumors. If you can't sustain TWIP without this "service", you should reconsider your business plan. Who is going to keep sharing information with you, when they know you are going to turn around and make money off their goodwill? It won't take long for someone to set you up as a payback for selling their trust in you. How much thought did you give this before rolling it out? You are being blinded by money, and diving headfirst into the pitfall of trying to turn your hobby into your job.

#1032 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

To keep the TWIP website going, I need to get more financial support from the pinball community, and this is one way I am trying to do that.

What is the primary cost of running the TWIP web site? Its basically a blog. You aren't hosting video and audio. So where is the big cash sink that the sponsor ads aren't covering?

#1035 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

It is the time that is the biggest challenge.

So are you looking to make enough money that you can afford have more time to work on it? Like quit a day job? It sounded like this was strictly a web site cost issue above.

#1041 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Not quit my day job, no. I don't see TWIP ever getting to that point, I don't think that is realistic. Not looking to get rich on this.
    There are costs associated with the website, but the biggest challenge has always been the time. I am trying to make enough on it to justify the time it takes. Without getting into too many details, I want to make it "worth it" for the time it takes away from my wife/family, so I talked it over with them and set a goal to get to $X in 2019 to keep TWIP going.
    Also, I set up different tiers to try to find different things that would interest different people. I know $20/mo is a lot to ask, but some people are very interested in the rumors/speculation/information (I am one of them), so hopefully this will appeal to some.

Start by calling Stern and see if they will give you a list of the 100 people that paid $25k for a plaque that said "diamond" on it. These are the people who have the kind of money to blow that you are looking for.

Publishing once a week is plenty, with an occasional extra news drop when something big happens. TWIP seems like a solid resource for news, and has held a fairly professional tone since the beginning. In my eyes, this move really pushes your reputation from "solid" to "The National Enquirer" of pinball news. Not a good trajectory for a venture that seems to have a good reputation already.

#1042 5 years ago

Or, maybe you can use these rumors to extort money out of the manufacturers like those mug shot newspapers I have seen out in Indiana. I'm kidding...but that is about the same level of professionalism as I am seeing here.

#1046 5 years ago

How are you going to know who is leaking "insider" information? All someone has to do is tell someone else who then posts it, and you aren't going to know who you have to throw off the island.

1 month later
    #1088 5 years ago

"Deeproot to deliver 5 titles in first year"

Turns out, we were fools all year.

1 week later
    #1101 5 years ago

Pinball Buzz....hahaha. If these machines are anything like his books, they will be made out of cardboard and rubber bands. I'm going to go order a years worth of popcorn off Amazon now.

#1106 5 years ago

Good news is, Pinball Buzz will probably be dead after this venture. Starting a pinball biz off nothing but some vague artwork and a bunch of hyperbole is a great way to waste millions.

#1111 5 years ago

Pinball Buzz's pinball machine page is loaded with a bunch of stock photos.. Who are they trying to fool?

Screenshot_20190409-122146_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190409-122146_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #1115 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not the -product- pages usually

Exactly... His description is quite misleading. There is no way he actually has teams of people hired already. But his photos make it appear that way. I hope he doesn't take pre-order money on pins like he did for his sham of a book series.

#1117 5 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Maybe they're just Butt-Ugly?

An angle I never considered! Thank you!

#1123 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Nice backglass for Beetlejuice.
    Interesting if a team at Stern doesn't like a theme the game doesn't get done.
    Might explain why Stern seem to have a lot of licenses that don't get used.

Also probably explains why Ghostbusters isn't getting finished.

#1126 5 years ago

FWIW, the post disappeared...what did Gomez say about it before it was taken down?

2 weeks later
    #1174 4 years ago

I hope the ramps in those Cosmic Carnival photos are not production quality...the wire ramp looks a bit janky with rough forms, and the plastic ramp looks pretty cloudy and rough.

2 months later
    #1195 4 years ago

Jeff...you are coming off as kinda childish here. Jack didn't tell you the truth because he probably didn't want that information out there yet, and couldn't trust you to not spread the truth it if he asked you not to. Maybe he isn't into "paid rumors"? The whole thing just sounds really petty.

1 year later
    #1492 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's interesting how the ramp is in pieces and uses what looks like a ramp flap to put the pieces together. Is it just part of the prototype design or can their ramps be partially disassembled? It's always a serious pain to get to a particular spot that requires taking off ramp assemblies.

This is fairly common with ramps that can't be thermoformed in a single mold due to stacked features. GOTG has this, as well as Twister...off the top of my head. I have contemplated doing this to get people unobtanium ramps for games which are normally too big for my machine. Hurricane and Mousin' Around come to mind here.

9 months later
    #1590 2 years ago

Is pinball DLC about to be here? Hope not.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JodyG.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-this-week-in-pinball?tu=JodyG and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.