Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,600 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 86 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15_G (resized).jpeg
    Alex-PXL_20210816_214617200-2048x1152 (resized).jpg
    safe_image (resized).jpg
    28828191_2130936530468121_5394942295120187397_o (resized).jpg
    Williams Mashup Vol 2 Translite-4 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.21.30 PM (resized).png
    Arcade1Up-Banner-1-e1625015245371 (1) (resized).jpg
    205789224_4224325530961975_2339908732094246552_n (resized).jpg
    200387345_10159716994453627_133682609964272322_n (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.23.51 AM (resized).png
    TWIP6 (resized).jpg
    189032753_10161094107497586_7190923247058081221_n (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinball_mountain_illustration-1536x2048 (resized).jpeg
    Mandalorian-LE-Details-Ambient-22 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #605 Stern getting Godzilla license discussion. Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Post #611 Link to podcast discussing Godzilla license and stern. Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EalaDubhSidhe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#143 6 years ago

"Now that is a tasty bumper."

#185 6 years ago

It'll be Joe Kaminkow, and it'll be Yellow Submarine specifically. For the price it would cost, you wouldn't try to cover the whole of the Beatles' career, as it would be impossible to put in everything you wanted to do, and the band went through enough phases and styles that there's no way you could come close to pleasing all the fans with it. Instead, you'd pick one evocative style and period as a piece of pop art that everyone knows, and run with that as far as you can.

And now I'm pissed off because Yellow Submarine is EXACTLY what I wanted to do at the top of my themes list, and if this is a reskin of another Stern game like Batman '66 is, I will be hurling very large and very hard green apples at it. I can tell you for naught that my version would have the Snapping Turks and Apple Bonkers in as ball manipulators and diverters, the Glove as a rotating mech pointing out things on the table to shoot, the Submarine as a ball lock device that pops up little faces in the windows as balls as shot into it, the design would incorporate a Cleft Ramp, a looooooooong bank of drops with wider standups behind for spelling YELLOW and SUBMARINE, an interactive Sea Of Holes that you have to navigate the ball across without falling in, and a shakeable globe toy with the Sergeant Pepper band inside.

#191 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Then here's the original Beatles songs to choose from from that album and movie along with a few orchestrated numbers-
    1. "Yellow Submarine"
    2. "Only a Northern Song"
    3. "All Together Now"
    4. "Hey Bulldog"
    5. "It's All Too Much"
    6. "All You Need Is Love"
    Yay. I'll just stick to watching it when it comes on Nickelodeon again.

There's the expanded 'soundtrack' album that also has the full versions of the other songs played in the film; either fully, short clips, or just referenced. So you'd also have A Day In The Life, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Baby You're A Rich Man, Love You To, Eleanor Rigby, Think For Yourself, and others. Plus George Martin's film score is easily good enough to use as main background tracks with the songs filling in the modes and other special bits.

#200 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

From 1999. A longer list for sure. Just like pinball, you won't be able to please everybody

Then the best time to 'disappoint' them is at the announcement stage when you make it clear exactly what they can expect, keep it realistic, and give them time to get used to the idea and come around to it. Nothing has given bad press to more dream themes than leaving the potential buyers to dream up expectations and wish lists that can't possibly be fulfilled in the end.

#201 6 years ago

Ringo will always be the narrator of Thomas The Tank Engine to us Brits.

#235 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Just did a long Podcast with Chris predicting what will happen with ALL the pinball companies in 2018....

That's what, the third one he's done on that subject?

#237 6 years ago

Timeshock is a tricky beast to prototype since the 1995 original was never designed with build authenticity in mind - the extra development time is easily explained by the number of times they've had to think 'okay, how do we make this physically work', as well as tweak the playfield to accommodate necessary changes.

4 months later
    #380 5 years ago

Hmm, I'm taking that Deep Root price range with a pinch of salt. It's rather like saying 'my favourite place to live would be between Mercury and Pluto'.

Fair play though if a simpler and smaller $3500 game is both achievable and marketable, because there's a few things I'd certainly like to do along those lines.

1 week later
    #419 5 years ago

That horseshoe shot to go up a ramp on Deadpool is as John Trudeau as John Trudeau can be.

2 months later
    #776 5 years ago

Does it really need to be Godzilla specifically though? The kaiju concept is pretty universal by now, why not make an unlicensed game with a sense of humour in the vein of Attack From Mars?

2 months later
    #900 5 years ago

Jack Danger's layout needs a bit of a think. My immediate thought was, those pops are going to wreck any ball guides they're placed that close to, if not possibly scuff the ball and damage the playfield. Not sure either about a pop with that close line of fire to an exposed upper flipper bat. Rails between the pops and guides would work, but also nerf the amount of pop activity in the game.

My suggestion would be: try and place the lower two pops far enough from the shot walls to be able to put rubbered posts in between, and create chamber areas between the pops and rubbers for maximum pop activity. The upper one, I'd turn into a passive bumper and then see if there was a way to squeeze an additional pop into the game.

2 weeks later
    #944 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Hmmm. I wonder how much the lack of coin door will depress the resale value of those particular machines? Why in the world is that even an option?

Licensors insisted upon it. This isn't unique; we went after the Angry Birds license early on at Heighway, but one of the conditions was that such a game couldn't be put in locations that weren't family friendly, and we couldn't guarantee that. The only way you could would be to ensure it was home use only, hence no coin door. I'm sure the Harry Potter license would require the same stipulation.

2 months later
    #1016 5 years ago

I was positing the merits of an Angry Birds pinball as far back as 2009, so the license was ultimately my idea, as was the bulk of that pitch document work, with Phil Dixon providing the renders. That was very early on in the Heighway days, it was still 2012 when that was put together. I've already said this elsewhere, but it fell through not because Rovio didn't like it, but because they wanted to protect their family-friendly image and insisted the machine couldn't go into any adult-orientated establishments, and we couldn't possibly guarantee that.

1 month later
    #1092 4 years ago

April 1st can fuck all the offs in the English language.

#1095 4 years ago

I had a package stolen from the mail after they sent me a delivery notice, which it turned out was a friend's entire Neo Geo Pocket collection. I found this out yesterday. So I'm warning everybody now; any future April Fool pranks will be repayed with a rake in the face and no jury in the world will convict me.

1 week later
    1 year later
    #1515 3 years ago

Sombody finally noticed.

2 months later
    #1552 3 years ago

Yeah, when I sent the info and drawings to Jeff, I said "now guess what the punchline is, the bullet we kind of dodged", then that photo, followed by "Oh. Erm. OH DEAR."

This was years before that story exploded, and certainly neither myself nor Andrew had any possible suspicions of anything amiss back then. I thought it was worth pointing out the irony of the game ultimately going nowhere because Stern then swooped in and poached JT away from us with a better offer, and look what ultimately came of it (JT in fact was pretty miffed that Andrew wasn't happy for him, and if that doesn't encapsulate everything that could go wrong from a moral or perspective standpoint, I'm not sure what does.)

Cathy Vice, the Indie Gamer / Pinball Chick, has put it best. We can't erase the stain of having that guy and what he did attached to so many games, but production pinball is a collaborative effort. John Trudeau gets no royalties from either Farsight or Pinball FX3; you would have to airbrush out the work of so many other people (and some of them have spoken up and asked for that not to happen), and it's OK to like a piece of media while legitimately despising one of the people associated with it.

Plus, yunno, it was John Trudeau. I shared those drawings for interest's sake because it's not like they're going to be worth anything NOW.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EalaDubhSidhe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-this-week-in-pinball?tu=EalaDubhSidhe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.