Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,600 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 86 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15_G (resized).jpeg
    Alex-PXL_20210816_214617200-2048x1152 (resized).jpg
    safe_image (resized).jpg
    28828191_2130936530468121_5394942295120187397_o (resized).jpg
    Williams Mashup Vol 2 Translite-4 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.21.30 PM (resized).png
    Arcade1Up-Banner-1-e1625015245371 (1) (resized).jpg
    205789224_4224325530961975_2339908732094246552_n (resized).jpg
    200387345_10159716994453627_133682609964272322_n (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.23.51 AM (resized).png
    TWIP6 (resized).jpg
    189032753_10161094107497586_7190923247058081221_n (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinball_mountain_illustration-1536x2048 (resized).jpeg
    Mandalorian-LE-Details-Ambient-22 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 32.
    #401 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Guest Post!
    The Growth of Pinball: An Evidence-Based Review – by Dennis Kriesel
    http://thisweekinpinball.com/the-growth-of-pinball-an-evidence-based-review-by-dennis-kriesel/

Dennis, I don't understand how you correlated ownership growth reported on Pinside to ownership growth overall. If pinball ownership did not grow but Pinside membership did how would your data show that?

#402 5 years ago

Visual Pinball brings a lot of people in. It brought me back to pinball. After building a MAME cabinet, I discovered vpinMAME and visual pinball 9 which finally had an all in one installer. Now with VPX more people keep coming to the virtual hobby and then to the real.

#403 5 years ago

While the article is interesting, it's a pity it doesn't reflect on numbers from the early 90s. Then pinball was great. We're not even close to having that many games on location these days. Manufacturers don't put out that many games either. Obviously, the buyers market also shifted: today more game go directly to home users than in the early 90s. The operators market is nowhere near what it was in the early, or even late 90s. It may be up from 10 years ago, but still only a shadow of early 90s numbers.

#404 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Dennis, I don't understand how you correlated ownership growth reported on Pinside to ownership growth overall. If pinball ownership did not grow but Pinside membership did how would your data show that?

Sadly, it falls under one of the flaw categories I listed (self-reported ownership; as you know it introduces a lot of issues). That data is incapable of distinguishing ownership increases' causes (be it just site growth or something else). It's why I do not actually provide a correlation value with a statement on statistical significance, because I can't really detect that without knowing the manufacturing quantities. And, if I had those, I'd just use that for ownership (since all games not destroyed would be owned by someone, and we'd just accept the flaw that we can't track destroyed as a small price to pay), though then we could compare ownership counts here versus production counts and probably get a sense of what percentage of owned games is reflected on this site (I wouldn't have bothered, but it would definitely be interesting).

My non-data based assumption at present is Pinside growth is collector-oriented and should, in theory, benefit all years, particularly since the range of examination is still "modern". Because people getting into the hobby now, or joining the site for the first time, still have access to all the games in the period of examination.

But your point is well taken. It would be like the idea of reporting Pinside's membership growth. The growth itself would be true (obviously), but we'd not be able to prove (statistically) that the growth was due to new hobbyists (in theory it could all be old hobbyists finally finding/joining the site). We'd need some other data source (surveying the members when they joined) or, we could use it to fuel our suspicion and then try to find another data source to help shore up what assumptions the data we had were making us think (what I tried to do with the IFPA data; more on that below).

Where I'm more concerned (and why I noted the flaw that the site seems very collector oriented) is when looking at the ownership count of Stern Pros versus Premium/LE. In several cases, the Pro figures are LOWER than the Premium/LE. I do not think this corresponds to reality (I think Stern sells more Pros than LEs and Premiums combined; don't know it for sure of course, just my suspicion due to costs). However, if the site's bias holds true (towards collector-grade games) then at least I feel relatively safe in assuming that's consistent across years. But I can't prove it, so the best I could do is list the flaw and move on.

I gathered the competitive data after the owner figures here because I was pretty disappointed with how many assumptions I had to make about ownership. Since the exploration was on if the pinball hobby was growing, I thought another dataset would help shore that up (since what I do have on ownership was suggesting things are more produced/owned now than 10 years ago). The IFPA data offers a lot more samples and a lot more consistency, and so it helped reassure me that the ownership trends on Pinside fit with the narrative (that pinball, the hobby, is in a growth phase).

#405 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

We're not even close to having that many games on location these days.

Quoted from unigroove:

The operators market is nowhere near what it was in the early, or even late 90s. It may be up from 10 years ago, but still only a shadow of early 90s numbers.

that is incorrect in some cities.

Some cities and operators have way more pinball on location now than there ever was in the 90s.

Specifically cities like Seattle come to mind.

#406 5 years ago

Hilton, why would you attempt to make the micro argument/point that there are individual cities/territories better off today when, as Jonathan points out, the overall picture for location pinball is abysmal.

I'm sure a lot of locals are pleased with the fact that you have played a part in seeing that the Madison landscape is what it is today. you deserve a merit badge for that, even though you are no boy scout.

boyscouts02 (resized).jpgboyscouts02 (resized).jpg

further, there is a difference between operators of the past who purchased and vended machines as their primary business vs some of the 'operators' of today who are just using bars to house their collections which have outgrown their primary residence, while struggling to net something less than minimum wage.

despite whatever resurgence is taking place, the socal location pinball scene remains virtually dead. ayce gogi, a two hr drive thru LA traffic, currently has ~20 machines.

growing up in the south bay area during the 80's there were 100's of machines at the Redondo Beach fun factory. today, it is all redemption games. the bally alladins castle at the del amo mall. the sega center at the old towne mall. the south bay galleria had ~40 machines. small biz arcades in strip malls. a machine or two in most every 7-eleven and liquor store. the differences between then and now remain staggering.

#407 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

While the article is interesting, it's a pity it doesn't reflect on numbers from the early 90s. Then pinball was great. We're not even close to having that many games on location these days. Manufacturers don't put out that many games either. Obviously, the buyers market also shifted: today more game go directly to home users than in the early 90s. The operators market is nowhere near what it was in the early, or even late 90s. It may be up from 10 years ago, but still only a shadow of early 90s numbers.

the 90s is a loooooong time ago. I think it's fair to compare 10 years ago with today, because arguably you are looking at the lowest point (when Stern almost went out of business) to what we have today, so basically the entire recovery period.

#408 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!

http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-iron-maiden-premium-reveal-supreme-pinball-200-units-at-10500-dutch-pinball-more/

In This Week's Edition:

- Iron Maiden Premium Revealed
    - Dutch Pinball's Troubles Continue
    - Supreme Pinball Rumored to Drop this Thursday, with 200 Units at $10,500
    - Replay FX to Host the Largest Women's Tournament in the World
    - Chicago Gaming Company's Next Game will be Announced at...Wait, No it will not
    - Virtual Simulation of Heighway Pinball's Playboy Title
    - Head2Head Pinball Podcast - Interview with Zombie Yeti
    - New York City Championships
    - Iron Maiden LE Stream by SDTM at Pin Stadium HQ
    - Mirco Playfields Secures Gottlieb License
    - Arcooda Pinball Arcade Software - Expires June 30th
    - The Munsters Rumors
    - Golden State Pinball Festival
    - Tiny Pinball Emulator
    - Kill Bill Pinball Machine
    - Womp Womp Baby
    - Atlanta Pinball Museum?
    - Location of the Week
    - Poll of the Week
    - Victory Laps
    - Match - What is Coming up on TWIP
    - Upcoming Games and Rumors

JPEG300_medium (resized).jpgJPEG300_medium (resized).jpg

#409 5 years ago

Your Top 10 Pinball Dream Themes!

http://thisweekinpinball.com/your-top-10-pinball-dream-themes/

Screen-Shot-2018-05-21-at-11.11.57-AM (resized).pngScreen-Shot-2018-05-21-at-11.11.57-AM (resized).png

#410 5 years ago

Around the Playfield with Jon Norris!

http://thisweekinpinball.com/around-the-playfield-with-jon-norris/

Screen-Shot-2018-05-23-at-7.06.07-AM (resized).pngScreen-Shot-2018-05-23-at-7.06.07-AM (resized).png

#411 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Memorial Day Monday Pinheads!

http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-deadpool-leak-supreme-sells-out-in-nine-seconds-star-trek-ve-pirates-of-the-caribbean-topper-more/

Top 5 Stories
    1. Deadpool Image Leak
    2. Supreme Sells out in 9 Seconds
    3. Star Trek VE Announced
    4. Doug Skor Joining Stern
    5. Code Code Code

- POTC LE Topper
    - Homepin Target Market
    - New Multiball in Dialed In!
    - WIPT Registration
    - ARA Message
    - Bowen's Comeback
    - Myrtle Beach Pinball Museum
    - Timeshock Update
    - Head2Head Interviews Keith Elwin
    - Iron Maiden Tweet
    - Pinball Guitar
    - Victory Laps
    - Announcement Coming Thursday from TWIP

JPEG300_small (resized).jpgJPEG300_small (resized).jpg

#412 5 years ago

Looks like your site is infected, it's asking for authentication.

Edit: Whatever it was, the link is working normally now. Initially it popped up an authentication box for username and password and upon escaping out of that showed a page about Zeus botnet and played a female voice announcement about a Microsoft alert, zeus botnet detection. Weird.

#413 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Looks like your site is infected, it's asking for authentication.

Did you click directly on the link here in this thread? This morning there was a problem with the link on Facebook.

#414 5 years ago

Yes. Links from a DuckDuckGo search worked fine.

#416 5 years ago

Just clinked on link and got infected message - wasn't hanging around to click anything else!

#417 5 years ago

PLEASE NOTE: This morning TWIP started intermittently redirecting some users to spam sites. We've hired a company to fix this issue and they are working on it right now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

#419 5 years ago

That horseshoe shot to go up a ramp on Deadpool is as John Trudeau as John Trudeau can be.

#422 5 years ago

Hello friends of TWIP! We're doing a JUNE GIVEAWAY EXTRAVAGANZA!! TONS of prizes. Enter to win!!!

And coincidentally, asking for your support in the same post.

http://thisweekinpinball.com/june-giveaway-extravaganza/

(Pinside Note: Yes, we'll get some criticism on the deeproot giveaway.)

#423 5 years ago

The designer will also help set up the machine, discuss the design process and the game, and play your game at your place of residence!!

OMG... they are busting out the jpop handbook verbatim.

Surprised Ben Heck wasn't told he was going to have to help out.

#424 5 years ago

This whole promising to give away a pinball machine before it even exists was done before... by Skit-B. When they announced Experts of Dangerous.

There is so little marketing value to this, and certainly not worth the costs of giving away these machines, plus this idea that these designers will travel and set the machine up at your house for you.

The lesson to me that I learned during the first generation of stupid pinball startups was that I will never go against my own business instincts again. If something doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense. This doesn't make sense.

Good for getting a little bit of Pinside chatter going, a year ahead of when you plan to actually sell machines. Yay.

#425 5 years ago

I understand what you're saying @frolic. We wouldn't be doing this if deeproot was using pre-order money to fund the startup.

There are a lot of other giveaways for June though!

- Pin Stadium Lights
    - Mezel Mods gift card
    - Titan Pinball Silicone Ring Kit
    - Comet Pinball Spotlight Kits
    - Double Danger gift card
    - Dialed In Translite autographed by Jersey Jack
    - Iron Maiden Translite autographed by Keith Elwin
    - American Pinball t-shirt

And that is just for June, we're hoping to have even more in July and going forward.

#426 5 years ago

Donation sent. Thank you for all of your hard work. Your website is really a great resource for our hobby.

#427 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

We wouldn't be doing this if deeproot was using pre-order money to fund the startup.

It doesn't matter since all that's being given away is a "promise" and a far out delivery date. We know what those are worth.

Not meant to kick you over this. Just sharing my opinion that this does not give me confidence that deeproot know what they are doing. Beyond raising some money from some people. I'll let them talk big when they actually, you know, sell something (and deliver it).

#428 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericc123:

Donation sent. Thank you for all of your hard work. Your website is really a great resource for our hobby.

Awesome, thanks so much @ericc123!!! Very very much appreciated.

#429 5 years ago

I made a donation out of respect for your work. No give aways needed for me.

#430 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I made a donation out of respect for your work. No give aways needed for me.

Frolic, thank you so much!!! That means a lot, I really truly appreciate it!

#431 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

We wouldn't be doing this if deeproot was using pre-order money to fund the startup.

Quoted from frolic:

It doesn't matter since all that's being given away is a "promise" and a far out delivery date. We know what those are worth.
    Not meant to kick you over this. Just sharing my opinion that this does not give me confidence that deeproot know what they are doing. Beyond raising some money from some people. I'll let them talk big when they actually, you know, sell something (and deliver it).

Look over the information on their private equity funds and use that to decide if you think it's a legit operation. https://deeprootfunds.com/
    To my cynical eye it reads like every other make money fast product. I hope I'm proven wrong.

#432 5 years ago

Update: A Spooky giveaway is going to be added into the mix soon...

#433 5 years ago

Signed up for monthly donation. Keep up the good work bro.

#434 5 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

Signed up for monthly donation. Keep up the good work bro.

Thanks so much @mario_1_up!!!

#435 5 years ago

just reading today's news about spooky's next game... I looked through the licensing list and found this:

https://licensing18.mapyourshow.com/7_0/exhibitor/exhibitor-details.cfm?ExhID=14088&CFID=28281574&CFTOKEN=66f9a95ee1ee6640-E95B877F-AB68-E9B4-A9F8F5FDEDC42A66

spooky (resized).pngspooky (resized).png

#436 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aphex:

just reading today's news about spooky's next game.

Do what where?

#437 5 years ago

godzilla? monster island?

#438 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!

http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-spooky-new-license-what-is-joe-k-up-to-how-much-is-supreme-reselling-for-best-school-project-ever-more/

- Please support TWIP
    - Spooky Teases New License
    - What is Joe Kaminkow Up To?
    - Keith Elwin Interview on Head 2 Head
    - Supreme Pinball Updates
    - Stern Hires Doug Skor
    - Pinball Expo - Refreshed Website
    - Silver Ballers
    - Batman '66 New Code
    - Upcoming Pinball Shows
    - Pinside Website Upgrades
    - IFPA World Pinball Championships
    - Pacific Pinball Museum Surplus Sale
    - Roller Coaster of Owning Alien
    - Poll of the Week
    - Best School Project Ever
    - NIB Cologne
    - Happy Birthday Neil Patrick Harris
    - Nick Cannon Opening Bar/Arcade
    - Shoutout of the Week
    - Victory Laps
    - Sponsor Giveaways!

#439 5 years ago

I love toho! ... and Godzilla. Have been waiting three years for Spooky to get this one and if it gets built by 2020 I'm in.

#440 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I love toho! ... and Godzilla. Have been waiting three years for Spooky to get this one and if it gets built by 2020 I'm in.

this isn't confirmed just speculation on my part. here's the full list of attendees it could always be something else:

https://licensing18.mapyourshow.com/7_0/alphalist.cfm?endrow=300&alpha=*&CFID=28285885&CFTOKEN=4106693b1cdf001b-ECF70788-AB68-E9B4-A9F45F3F94407703

#441 5 years ago

I don't think it's a secret that Godzilla is a passion for Charlie. It was the first custom machine he ever build and he brought it to Expo 2011 as I recall.
    It looked and played great.
    zz GP2 (resized).jpgzz GP2 (resized).jpgzz GP3 (resized).jpgzz GP3 (resized).jpgzzGP1 (resized).jpgzzGP1 (resized).jpg

#442 5 years ago

Yeah Charlie and Bug are Godzilla fan-antics!! ... and lovers of all things lizard. So it was only a matter of time really. I'm 90% sure it is going to be The King, The Big Lizard ... Godzilla. Cue the smoke machines and blast Godzilla from Blue Oyster Cult until your ears bleed.

IMG_2437 (resized).PNGIMG_2437 (resized).PNG
    #443 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

- Best School Project Ever

I agree! Can't ask for a much better project than a Big Time - 5 Magic Lines, two super cards and much more.

Having a little experience (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1950-bally-turf-king-one-ball-horse-race-game) teaching kids about fixing games, I believe that there are few things more valuable to a young mind than learning how machines work, how to read a schematic, how to fix their own electrical and electronic stuff (and hopefully applying those lessons later in life, too).

#444 5 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

teaching kids about fixing games, I believe that there are few things more valuable to a young mind than learning how machines work, how to read a schematic, how to fix their own electrical and electronic stuff

Agreed, very cool article and project! It is great to teach kids about that stuff.

Also, maybe you can teach me that stuff too?

#445 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Also, maybe you can teach me that stuff too?

Be happy to - any time. If you've got a project in the queue, just give me a ring.

#446 5 years ago

Around the Playfield Pinside Edition: with Frax!

http://thisweekinpinball.com/around-the-playfield-pinside-edition-with-frax/

#pinball

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 6.10.04 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-06-07 at 6.10.04 PM (resized).png
    #447 5 years ago

Great interview with Frax

#448 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-american-pinball-news-scott-danesi-second-game-david-thiel-exclusive-to-deeproot-kingpin-twitch-stream-more/

- American Pinball Seminar
    - Game #2 Discussion
    - Joe Schober joins American Pinball
    - Scott Danesi Working on Second Game
    - Joe Kaminkow Interview
    - David Thiel Exclusive to deeproot Pinball
    - Kingpin Twitch Stream
    - Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Soundtrack
    - Under Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle
    - Iron Maiden Code
    - Star Trek Code
    - Thank You! From TWIP
    - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    - Amazon Alexa Tells You Your Pinball Rank
    - RIP Sandra Søbyskogen
    - Lou Ferrigno Gets a Hulk Pinball
    - Steven Tyler Signing Aerosmith LE
    - Kevin Smith (Silent Bob) Comes to Toronto
    - Location of the Week: The Richmond Pinball Collective
    - Shoutout of the Week
    - Victory Laps
    - Match! What is Coming Up on TWIP
    - Sponsor Giveaways

#450 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-deeproot-pinballs-high-end-theme-revealed-scott-danesi-talks-new-game-todd-tuckey-pinball-books-more/

- EXCLUSIVE: deeproot's High End Theme Revealed
    - Scott Danesi Discusses New Game
    - The Importance of TNA to Spooky Pinball
    - Todd Tuckey Book Deal
    - Aurich Gets his Alien LE
    - Josh Sharpe Interview on Head2Head
    - Surpeme Pinball Now at Sunshine Laundromat
    - Slam Tilt Podcast - New - RSS Feed
    - New Bowen Tutorial: TX-Sector
    - PAPA Website Redesign
    - Don't Forget to Sign up for June Giveaways
    - David Thiel Defends deeproot
    - Head2Head Interview with Josh Kugler
    - What is your favorite Toy in a pinball machine?
    - Sandra Bullock Wants a Demolition Man Pinball
    - RIP Anthony Bourdain
    - Ed Robertson of BNL Mods his Iron Maiden
    - Should There be a Rap Themed Pinball Machine?
    - Shoutout of the Week
    - Victory Laps
    - What is Coming Up on TWIP

JPEG300_medium.jpgJPEG300_medium.jpg
    There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-this-week-in-pinball/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.