Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,600 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 86 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15_G (resized).jpeg
    Alex-PXL_20210816_214617200-2048x1152 (resized).jpg
    safe_image (resized).jpg
    28828191_2130936530468121_5394942295120187397_o (resized).jpg
    Williams Mashup Vol 2 Translite-4 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.21.30 PM (resized).png
    Arcade1Up-Banner-1-e1625015245371 (1) (resized).jpg
    205789224_4224325530961975_2339908732094246552_n (resized).jpg
    200387345_10159716994453627_133682609964272322_n (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.23.51 AM (resized).png
    TWIP6 (resized).jpg
    189032753_10161094107497586_7190923247058081221_n (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinball_mountain_illustration-1536x2048 (resized).jpeg
    Mandalorian-LE-Details-Ambient-22 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 32.
    #201 6 years ago

Ringo will always be the narrator of Thomas The Tank Engine to us Brits.

#202 6 years ago
    Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Ringo will always be the narrator of Thomas The Tank Engine to us Brits.

And for some of us Yanks as well. Loved watching Thomas with the kids when they were little.

#203 6 years ago

With these themes lately my bank accounts are looking great. May take on some other hobbies in the mean time.

#204 6 years ago

I always understood that Stern doing Pulp Fiction was initially a response to Dutch Pinball doing The Big Lebowski. The rumors are that old. Prior to that, the theme would not even be considered suitable for them. For what it's worth, I also heard the game (read: playfield) was already designed years ago and not taken into production due to licensing issues and/or restrictions, which were already mentioned above. In order for the theme to work the game would have to feature songs from the soundtrack as well, adding more costs to it. I also read rumors that Quinten Tarantino would only allow a Pulp Fiction pinball machine if it would be an EM type of game, but I have no idea whether there is any truth to that.

Another rumor I heard was that a certain company was going after certain licenses just to prevent any competitors might get them. That could be one way of trying to defend your place in the industry, but also very expensive. At some point, the licensor will expect a game to be made. Taking a license just to get if of the market is usually not appreciated by licensors, although it was not uncommon in the music industry pre-2000. The difference is that record companies could license a track or album, release it in a small run to fulfill the license and then "it just didn't become a hit." In the meantime, they never pushed it and they released 20 other albums the same month that also needed attention, so a licensor could hardly complain. With pinball machines that's a different story, especially if you know that most marketing efforts are aimed at the newest game. Then again, there could be hurdles along the way preventing a licensed theme from actually making it ito a pinball machine. So the fact that a license has been taken, doesn't have to mean we're going to see such a game. It could just be a business tactic.

As far as Beatles goes, Beatles was JT's dream theme. If Stern had/has the license he may even have been working on it. It's interesting that Steve Ritchie recently named the license as well in his recent Facebook video in which he answered questions. I can't recall him mentioning that theme before.

I heard some rumors about a company going after the Beatles license over a year ago. Apparently, the license would be extremely expensive and there was/is a stipulation that it could only be a limited run of fewer than 2000 units in total (1980 if I recall correctly). As a result, the licensing cost per game would be the highest ever (so far). That doesn't have to be a problem, but it will most likely affect pricing of the game. If any of this, which again are just rumors I heard, is true, it seems to me that doing it as a KaPow type of thing (read: a limited production run at Batman LE or SLE pricing) would be the most likely way to make it economically interesting for a manufacturing party to get involved. Even then you could wonder whether there is demand for that many games. Isn't any Beatles enthusiast that is into pinball more likely to get the Williams game with the Bootles on it? That game reflects the era probably better than a modern game with an LCD, ramps and all other sorts of bells and whistles. When Stern did Elvis, did Elvis fans massively buy that game? I do know of a few rock n roll memorabilia shops that bought a couple of games and they had a hard time selling them. Would that be different for a modern Beatles game? On the other hand, if you think that you can sell almost 2000 Beatles pinball machines at Batman pricing, you're looking at a potential profit of a few million dollars. Worst case scenario you only sell a few hundred games and break even, so business-wise the risk is rather small.

To stay at least a bit authentic in regards to the license, shouldn't a Beatles-themed game be like an EM type of game? In that case, a retheme of Whoa Nellie could work. The 4 rollover lanes at the top could represent the four Beatles and/or their instruments and lighting up the corresponding popbumper. But will that sell at Batman pricing?

#205 6 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

To stay at least a bit authentic in regards to the license, shouldn't a Beatles-themed game be like an EM type of game? In that case, a retheme of Whoa Nellie could work. The 4 rollover lanes at the top could represent the four Beatles and/or their instruments and lighting up the corresponding popbumper. But will that sell at Batman pricing?

I think that depends entire on the art and whether or not they use an LCD with Beatles footage and say 8-12 of their biggest uptempo hits that work well with pinball.

If done properly I’m in!

#206 6 years ago

Kapow will do Beatles, Yellow Submarine.

80 SLE.

LCD - shots from the movie.

Just my predictions....

#208 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I played the F out of the new Willy Wonka slot machine over the holidays in Tahoe
    Because of Joe K. I’m guessing that one goes to Stern

Oh God please no.

Willy Wonka has to go to JJP!! If stern gets it my heart will be broken.

#209 6 years ago

If Beatles happens I'd much rather it not be Yellow Submarine. There's tons of cool music and artwork that could be pulled together to make a better Beatles pin in my opinion.

Quoted from pinlink:

Oh God please no.
    Willy Wonka has to go to JJP!! If stern gets it my heart will be broken.

Some of you guys a pretty freaking dramatic.

#210 6 years ago

Interesting tweet from Keith Johnson:

"Yellow Submarine isn't really The Beatles, I don't think. We've been turning down the theme since the company started!

Whoever owns the license has been trying to pawn it off on someone for years."

#211 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Not really. That's a dream theme of mine and Stern doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to theme integration. JJP on the other hand...

Just one man's opinion.

#212 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Haha. It's like clickbait Internet links. "pictures of this willy Wonka will being you to tears."

#213 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

If Beatles happens I'd much rather it not be Yellow Submarine. There's tons of cool music and artwork that could be pulled together to make a better Beatles pin in my opinion.

Helter Skelter? Or how about a White Album theme with an all white translite?! Regardless, as long as Yoko Ono is prominently displayed, I'm in!!!

#214 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha. It's like clickbait Internet links. "pictures of this willy Wonka will being you to tears."

and "why no one in hollywood will hire gene wilder anymore!"

#215 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

and "why no one in hollywood will hire gene wilder anymore!"

Bwahaha!

#216 6 years ago

"When I was younger, so much younger than today, I never needed anybody's help in any way"

#217 6 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

I always understood that Stern doing Pulp Fiction was initially a response to Dutch Pinball doing The Big Lebowski. The rumors are that old. Prior to that, the theme would not even be considered suitable for them. For what it's worth, I also heard the game (read: playfield) was already designed

This all very interesting. I look forward to watching things develop...

#218 6 years ago

Wow,uh,well'yelloSub. is not a beatles movie.people!!! It was done with there consent,and used songs already written,and put together with that theme in mind!!Sgt.Pepper was a turning point in their creativity! As you saw,the Beatles were asked to come save Pepperland from the Blu Meanies!! All this could form a idea! Many other facets may prove out! JT talked this over with me at PAGG 2 years ago at Sparkys!!

#219 6 years ago

Here is part of an interview from April of 2016 where JT discusses The Beatles:

What's your dream theme to build a pin around. If you could snap your fingers and build a pinball on any theme in the world, what would it be?

It would be The Beatles. I've been trying to get The Beatles since I was at Williams. Pretty soon they're going to be gone, and I'll be gone too. Then it won't matter anymore. But I would still love to get The Beatles.

What would you put into a Beatles game?

Prior to being here at Stern, I was always thinking just one model. With Stern and the premium/LEs, I've now got three models to think of, which might lend itself to something a little more different. I always planned on making the early Beatles, up to "A Hard Day's Night". It would be a lot of black and white, a lot of early pictures from them at Shea Stadium, say, or Comiskey Park, that kind of concert footage and also that music that went up to maybe "Rubber Soul" or so and just make a nice selection of music from there. That would be my ideal.

At Williams we got as far as talking to Ringo Starr's people. They were interested as far as getting him to do voice for the game, but nothing ever went past that unfortunately. Here, now with the three models, we have the opportunity to possibly do three different ages of The Beatles. Maybe one with the early, one in the center we do the "Magical Mystery Tour"/"Sgt. Pepper"-type stuff with the surrealistic type of artwork. And the last one could be "Abbey Road" where they're doing their final studio presentation.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2016/04/19/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-ghostbusters-pinball-machine/#63f326f56869

#220 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

I've now got three models to think of

I've got two of them right here.

Beatles19621966 (resized).jpgBeatles19621966 (resized).jpg

Beatles19671970 (resized).jpgBeatles19671970 (resized).jpg

#221 6 years ago

If they were able to use JT’s ideas with ringo as the voice with the 3 different era’s, that would be the bomb.

Would even consider buying more than 1!

#222 6 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

If they were able to use JT’s ideas with ringo as the voice with the 3 different era’s, that would be the bomb.
    Would even consider buying more than 1!

Having ringo be a beatle is hard enough to handle...Having to hear him as the voice of a beatles pin would be worse than the hilbilly on TWD!

#223 6 years ago

I think these are all false rumors anyway. My guess is it will be The Rutles instead.

rutles-front-cover1 (445x640) (resized).jpgrutles-front-cover1 (445x640) (resized).jpg

#224 6 years ago

I watched the Beatles on tv in 1964. They were great then and I am glad they will finally be getting a pin, 54+ years later. Can't see myself buying one but I'd love to play on location.

#225 6 years ago

I like the Beatles music but they were before my time so as a pinball theme not excited but would play one at a show if there wasn’t much of a wait.

An unlicensed game from American Pinball might be dangerous, hard to say... they certainly have some great talent there.

If this year’s VE is tron I would probably get it.... if it has retro or otherwise improved art, it would be extremely hard to resist.

If the next JJP is a Pat Lawlor Toy Story as many rumors out there say... I can see that being something high on my wishlist.

And then with Moster Bash Remake seeming to be a strong contender... ugh... even if I had the money for all these games space cannot be found.

#226 6 years ago

anyone else think it would be nice if companies like Stern who build several titles per year announced what machines they are planning for the year?

Doesn’t need to be specific on dates but say it’s Beatles , Tron VE , Pulp Fiction and possibly a 4th for 2018, buyers could plan accordingly.

I would myself rather put big money towards a Beatles machine than JJP Pirates.

#227 6 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

anyone else think it would be nice if companies like Stern who build several titles per year announced what machines they are planning for the year?

the reason this is not done is for a couple of reasons. if you have a budget for one pin, but they announce their year's line-up, you're going to plan accordingly. if they don't announce and suddenly game A comes out that you love, you may purchase it. now, further along that same year, game B comes out (a title that you would rather have than game B), you're likely to purchase it and sell of game A

in that scenario, stern gets the sale of 2 new NIB machines from you vs. 1

plus, they would rather have you spend your money on a game that's just announced/released, rather than wait for another title that you know that they've got in the wings coming soon

#228 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

the reason this is not done is for a couple of reasons. if you have a budget for one pin, but they announce their year's line-up, you're going to plan accordingly. if they don't announce and suddenly game A comes out that you love, you may purchase it. now, further along that same year, game B comes out (a title that you would rather have than game B), you're likely to purchase it and sell of game A
    in that scenario, stern gets the sale of 2 new NIB machines from you vs. 1
    plus, they would rather have you spend your money on a game that's just announced/released, rather than wait for another title that you know that they've got in the wings coming soon

This is all true no doubt however I think they could say what their plans are and all of this would still natuarally occur as most flip pins like crazy anyway.

I think it would put pressure on the competitors as well. I would have to guess that Stern probably already knows every machine that will be rolled out for at least the next 24 months.

It was just wishful thinking on my part!

#229 6 years ago

We've seen exactly what happens when games are announced early, because almost every other competitor has done it - it sucks up all the money out of the room. No one wants to buy what's available now, because what is coming is always more exciting.

Apple certainly doesn't announce what features will be in their next hardware release. They announce - and ship - what they've got for sale. If they said what will be in the iPhone11, people would wait for it.

#230 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

We've seen exactly what happens when games are announced early, because almost every other competitor has done it - it sucks up all the money out of the room. No one wants to buy what's available now, because what is coming is always more exciting.
    Apple certainly doesn't announce what features will be in their next hardware release. They announce - and ship - what they've got for sale. If they said what will be in the iPhone11, people would wait for it.

Didn’t everyone know the 10/x specifically was coming in the fall months in advance to the official rollout and orders being taken?

Car mfg’s do it all the time. Jeep built up the hype for the new JL wrangler for at least 12 months before the big reveal last month in LA.

#231 6 years ago

perhaps the iphone was a bad example. yes, you know that a new version is going to be released, but you don't know the features that it will have until apple has their state of the union address and releases that info (just a month before the official release date)

car manufacturers may tout the new model of an existing line, but they do not announce new platforms years in advance

each pinball machine is really like a new car platform, unique and unto itself

#232 6 years ago

Any predictions on Silver Castle Pinball?

#233 6 years ago
    Quoted from boustrophedonic:

They showed off a prototype playfield in July but it's been crickets since then. Anyone else heard anything on Timeshock?

#234 6 years ago

Just did a long Podcast with Chris predicting what will happen with ALL the pinball companies in 2018....

#235 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Just did a long Podcast with Chris predicting what will happen with ALL the pinball companies in 2018....

That's what, the third one he's done on that subject?

#236 6 years ago
    Quoted from boustrophedonic:

I heard back from Silver Castle - the project is not dead! They're still working on the Timeshock prototype. (Though no time frame to share.)

In case anyone missed it, this is the video they shared in July of the prototype playfield:

#237 6 years ago

Timeshock is a tricky beast to prototype since the 1995 original was never designed with build authenticity in mind - the extra development time is easily explained by the number of times they've had to think 'okay, how do we make this physically work', as well as tweak the playfield to accommodate necessary changes.

#238 6 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-two-themes-secrets-spookys-teasers-custom-twilight-zone/

- Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Teasers and Secrets
    - The Two Themes Obtained
    - "Talk to TWIP"
    - LIVE TWIPY Pinball Awards Show coming 1/19 at 7:00PM EST
    - Batman '66 - More Code with LOTS of New Video Clips
    - Total Nuclear Annihilation Updates
    - Giveaway Winners!
    - Big Bang Bar at a New Location
    - It Never Drains in Southern California
    - Thunderbirds Update from Homepin
    - Pinball Profile - 100th Episode with Roger Sharpe
    - Custom Black and White Twilight Zone Pinball Machine
    - Total Recall Pinball Machine - Playfield Art Seen for the First Time
    - Victory Laps - End of Post Bonus
    - What is Coming Up on This Week in Pinball

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thisweekinpinball
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/__twip__
    Email: [email protected]

Untitled_Artwork 2 (resized).pngUntitled_Artwork 2 (resized).png

DS5z0ceV4AE_S1d.jpg-large 2 (resized).jpgDS5z0ceV4AE_S1d.jpg-large 2 (resized).jpg

e10cd8_eff20c76e1b14e3eb0f3e11028aab27a~mv2 (resized).jpge10cd8_eff20c76e1b14e3eb0f3e11028aab27a~mv2 (resized).jpg

DSC_8562b (resized).jpgDSC_8562b (resized).jpg

TWIPY Master Logo 2 (resized).jpgTWIPY Master Logo 2 (resized).jpg

#239 6 years ago

Wow total recall artwork very cool.

#240 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Wow total recall artwork very cool.

Agreed really nice artwork, its one pin I really wish they managed to get out of the doors, would have been another Arnie keeper for me.

Photo of the whitewoods/prototype game below, doesn't look like the art would have fitted the playfield layout.

TOTAL RECALL PIN (resized).jpgTOTAL RECALL PIN (resized).jpg

Edit: Looking again, the artwork would have been a fairly close fit, although I’m wondering if 2 artists worked on this as the playfield art/likenesses are certainly a lot better than the translite.

#241 6 years ago

Its funny that you guys mention this. I was just thinking that Ahhhnold has 3 games: T2, LAH, and T3. What other actor/celebrity has this many games? Total Recall would have been his 4th?

#242 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Agreed really nice artwork, its one pin I really wish they managed to get out of the doors, would have been another Arnie keeper for me.
    Photo of the whitewoods/prototype game below, doesn't look like the art would have fitted the playfield layout.

Agreed wish they would have produced it because it looks like it would have been fun to play.

#243 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Its funny that you guys mention this. I was just thinking that Ahhhnold has 3 games: T2, LAH, and T3. What other actor/celebrity has this many games? Total Recall would have been his 4th?

Arnie is top of the list:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/movies-stars

#244 6 years ago

The Beatles...what a crap pinball theme!

#245 6 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

The Beatles...what a crap pinball theme!

My first impression is, great band, crap pinball theme, BUT if it's done as a trippy, "Time-Fantasy"-esque theme with more "I Am the Walrus" and less "I Want to Hold Your Hand," then I could see it being something to look forward to.

#246 6 years ago

I swear I remember reading he’s hidden on a backglass/translite, sure it was TFTC.

#247 6 years ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

My first impression is, great band, crap pinball theme, BUT if it's done as a trippy, "Time-Fantasy"-esque theme with more "I Am the Walrus" and less "I Want to Hold Your Hand," then I could see it being something to look forward to.

Seriously, TWIP was talking about
    Back to the Future
    The Beatles
    The Goonies
    Harry Potter
    James Bond
    Jaws
    Super Mario Bros.
    Zelda
    Toy Story
    Pulp fiction..

The Beatles is really a turd theme compared to all (even if I respect the band)

My 2 cents:
    James Bond feels heighway
    BTTF, Jaws, HP, Pulp fiction feels Stern
    Goonies, super mario and Toys Story feels JJP

#248 6 years ago

Seriously, TWIP was talking about
    Back to the Future
    The Beatles
    The Goonies
    Harry Potter
    James Bond
    Jaws
    Super Mario Bros.
    Zelda
    Toy Story
    Pulp fiction..
    The Beatles is really a turd theme compared to all (even if I respect the band)

Sure, there are several themes there that I'd greatly prefer over The Beatles, but I can imagine some really cool things that could be done with The Beatles...I just don't necessarily have faith that it won't end up looking like The Rolling Stones pin.

#249 6 years ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Sure, there are several themes there that I'd greatly prefer over The Beatles, but I can imagine some really cool things that could be done with The Beatles...I just don't necessarily have faith that it won't end up looking like The Rolling Stones pin.

More than that for me now is the LCD. how the heck do you do it? If you go full balls trip it could be awesome.
    But man I just don;t know what you'd do. 1 band so fari with LCD and to me it was REALLY lack luster. So what do you do here...gotta stay away form the cartoony band concept since that's old news?
    I'm just interested to see what they come up with for any non movie theme.

#250 6 years ago

James Bond feels Heighway

Bond is Jacks (JJP) dream theme and rumours suggest he is hard at work trying to secure the licence in full.

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-this-week-in-pinball/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.