Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,600 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 86 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15_G (resized).jpeg
    Alex-PXL_20210816_214617200-2048x1152 (resized).jpg
    safe_image (resized).jpg
    28828191_2130936530468121_5394942295120187397_o (resized).jpg
    Williams Mashup Vol 2 Translite-4 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.21.30 PM (resized).png
    Arcade1Up-Banner-1-e1625015245371 (1) (resized).jpg
    205789224_4224325530961975_2339908732094246552_n (resized).jpg
    200387345_10159716994453627_133682609964272322_n (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.23.51 AM (resized).png
    TWIP6 (resized).jpg
    189032753_10161094107497586_7190923247058081221_n (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinball_mountain_illustration-1536x2048 (resized).jpeg
    Mandalorian-LE-Details-Ambient-22 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 32.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Thanks for doing these. Only feedback is that when viewing on my phone, the pictures in the article do some weird wrapping with the text.

I need to fix that, I've had a few people mention that - just haven't had time yet. Hope to have that formatted differently soon.

1 week later
    #52 6 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL
    - Statement from deeproot Pinball
    - 1st Annual TWIPY Awards!
    - New Info on Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle
    - Stern Updates - Code Updates, Callouts, Stern of the Union
    - December Deals and Giveaways
    - New Gameplay Videos - GOTG, Alien, Houdini
    - IFPA Power 100 Championship
    - Tips from Zach Sharpe on How to Play Better
    - More

http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thisweekinpinball
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/__twip__
    Email: [email protected]

Untitled_Artwork 2 (resized).pngUntitled_Artwork 2 (resized).png

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 2.18.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-12-03 at 2.18.47 PM (resized).png

30d898f566176d6c8d7d0fdffe24c108b2015380 (resized).jpg30d898f566176d6c8d7d0fdffe24c108b2015380 (resized).jpg

holiday_giveaway (resized).pngholiday_giveaway (resized).png

#53 6 years ago

IMHO Pirates should have been held until 2018. Sure it got revealed this year, but it's not really going to be a full game that a decent number of people can get their hands on and play (and in a more complete state) until next year. Probably the same goes for Houdini - more fair for it to be hoping for votes after it's had a real chance for more people to play the production game.

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

IMHO Pirates should have been held until 2018. Sure it got revealed this year, but it's not really going to be a full game that a decent number of people can get their hands on and play (and in a more complete state) until next year. Probably the same goes for Houdini - more fair for it to be hoping for votes after it's had a real chance for more people to play the production game.

I hear ya. Went back and forth on what games to include and what to not include. I didn't include P3 or any remakes (AFMr). I used this as a guide: https://pinside.com/pinball/archive and decided to include any game people may have had a chance to play.

It also makes me think of next year's TWIPY awards, do we include Houdini and POTC and Thunderbirds as they should be shipping? Seems unfair to have them two years in a row.

And what about games that have major code updates coming like GOTG and BM66? Tough to know when to include them...not a perfect science.

#55 6 years ago

Heads up - the voting link worked fine at first and now it is a broken link, I've contacted Survey Monkey to see what's up. I'll let you know when it is back up!

Remember, even the Oscars announced the wrong winner, so be patient with the TWIPYs, hopefully the link will be back up shortly...

#56 6 years ago

And we're back up and running

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

And we're back up and running - Rock the vote!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZMRJ9VV

link says I voted even though I have not...

Thought you may want to know.

I will try PC at home later for you also.

#58 6 years ago

This is just like a real election with the voting problems. Let me know if anyone else has problems, it looks to be back working now...(hopefully)

#59 6 years ago

I would make the line in the sand for releases when production machines are being delivered to customers.

So, that would not include Pirates or Houdini.

That would include Batman66, you can't delay indefinitely for code. What is out there has to be judged, which is unfortunate but that is what was shipped.

Multimorphic is announcing P3s available in multiple countries, and on location. We know these numbers aren't large, but they consider it released, so then it would make the cut as a 2017 release. IMO.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

I didn't include P3

P3 is a base platform and wouldn't make sense to include. Why didn't you include Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth?

LL-EE was announced prior to 2017, as were other games on your list, but we started shipping it in 2017. I can assure you we worked just as hard, if not harder, than every other MFG in the industry to deliver an amazing game. Read some reviews from others on LL-EE. I think we succeeded.

Oh, and the number shipped is higher than some other games on the list.

- Gerry
    https://www.multimorphic.com

#61 6 years ago

Not including Lexy is bullshit. It's totally available now and in people's homes, while Pirates, Houdini and *Thunderbirds* (really?!) aren't.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

I hear ya. Went back and forth on what games to include and what to not include. I didn't include P3 or any remakes (AFMr). I used this as a guide: https://pinside.com/pinball/archive and decided to include any game people may have had a chance to play.
    It also makes me think of next year's TWIPY awards, do we include Houdini and POTC and Thunderbirds as they should be shipping? Seems unfair to have them two years in a row.
    And what about games that have major code updates coming like GOTG and BM66? Tough to know when to include them...not a perfect science.

Dick move, Cotton. Dick move.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Not including Lexy is bullshit. It's totally available now and in people's homes, while Pirates, Houdini and *Thunderbirds* (really?!) aren't.

yeah, the poll is both biased and inaccurate, but most polls are TBT.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

I didn't include P3

May I ask why? LL-EE was produced and shipped in 2017. IMHO it should be included.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

By your own logic, people have had a chance to play the specific P3 games (Lexy, Cannon Lagoon) as well as the remakes that were released this year, and therefore they should be included. I'm curious what your rationale was beside, "you decided not to?"

These polls are quite transparently poularity contests, so I'm not sure why keeping any game off the list is something you would feel the need to do. Games will place base on their own popularity, but only if given the opportunity to be included.

If you're surprised that people care, it's because seemingly arbitrary decision to omit specific games is precisely the sort of personal bias/subjectivity that many of viewers of your site are expressly trying to avoid.

#66 6 years ago

The remakes were left off because it seemed like there wasn't enough "new" to include them as a new and original game.

The reasoning to leave off the P3 games was my ignorance of the platform. I had initially included LL-EE, along with Lexy Lightspeed - Secret Agent Showdown, Barnyard, ROCs, and Cannon Lagoon. I came up with the TWIPY awards idea Saturday night, and made the poll Sunday morning before starting on the Monday This Week in Pinball post. I pulled them because I didn't understand the depth and scale of the games and wasn't sure how they fit into the poll. Obviously I should've spent more time researching it.

I PMed Gerry this morning after his post to apologize for leaving them off. It wasn't meant to belittle their efforts at all. I'd like to do a full post highlighting the P3 platform and the games so I can get educated on it and share that info with others.

#67 6 years ago

I had a chance to play LL-EE this year and really enjoyed it (the right ramp feels especially good, for some reason). I agree with the other posters who feel that it should be included. It's in production, it's shipping, it's available on location, people have been able to play it, it's listed in https://pinside.com/pinball/archive, etc.

As far as the other decisions, I'd lean toward not including remakes, and I wouldn't consider code updates to be new games. I also would hold games from consideration until they're actually shipping, which would drop a few of the games from your list for 2017. It would also allow them to be judged when they're at the level that their manufacturers feel that they're production machines.

#68 6 years ago

Just noticed this. Was going to go back and read the posts cos a news summary without having to wade through the pinside drama sounded good. But it seems like you are just pushing your own bias for things anyway.
    Why even have a poll if you don't have some rules in place for it? Did the game ship in 2017? Then include it in poll. That would mean Pirates, Houdini and Thunderbirds would be next year or later. And as others have said Lexy Lightspeed would be this year.

Not including remakes is another personal opinion but it kinda makes sense as yeah they are the same game that was released many years ago.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from lachied:

Just noticed this. Was going to go back and read the posts cos a news summary without having to wade through the pinside drama sounded good. But it seems like you are just pushing your own bias for things anyway.
    Why even have a poll if you don't have some rules in place for it? Did the game ship in 2017? Then include it in poll. That would mean Pirates, Houdini and Thunderbirds would be next year or later. And as others have said Lexy Lightspeed would be this year.
    Not including remakes is another personal opinion but it kinda makes sense as yeah they are the same game that was released many years ago.

Trust me, next year we'll do it differently. We'll have you, the pinball community, help decide which machines are eligible and what categories should be included. This idea sounded fun in my head but did not translate as I would've like as I should've spent more time thinking it through. Oh well, live and learn. The good news is that I'm already starting on an article all about the P3 platform that will include an interview with Gerry. Looking forward to that post!

Also just found out...apparently, the free version of Survey Monkey only allows me to see the first 100 responses which we've already blown by. For $35 I can see the first 1,000 responses. For unlimited responses it is over $400. SO, **Edited** we're having a do-over.

#70 6 years ago

For the future, I'd suggest using Google Forms, given you have a Gmail account already established. It offers the choice options you used in Survey Monkey, and has no submission limits.

#71 6 years ago

I'd personally call a "re do" on this one and create a new survey. If you don't, it will undermine whatever hope you have of this award meaning anything, in my opinion.

#72 6 years ago

Agreed, just kill this one and do a different one.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I'd personally call a "re do" on this one and create a new survey. If you don't, it will undermine whatever hope you have of this award meaning anything, in my opinion.

Quoted from jwilson:

Agreed, just kill this one and do a different one.

Yeah. Seems like the thing to do.

Maybe with this ...

Quoted from DennisK:

For the future, I'd suggest using Google Forms, given you have a Gmail account already established. It offers the choice options you used in Survey Monkey, and has no submission limits.

#74 6 years ago

Yeah this has turned into a freaking train wreck. Lets start over.

So fresh start, which of these games should be included:

Aerosmith
    Alien
    Attack From Mars Remake
    Dialed In
    Houdini
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Lexi Lightspeed - Escape from Earth
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Star Wars
    The Jetsons
    Thunderbirds
    Total Nuclear Annihilation

And do you have additional questions or breakouts of these:
    Best Theme of the Year (based on theme ONLY)
    Best Sound
    Best Artwork
    Best Rules/Code
    Best Lightshow
    Best Toys/Gimmicks
    Best Playfield Layout and Gameplay
    Best Display/Animations
    Best Game of the Year

Thoughts on additional questions now that I won't be restricted to 10 questions?
    Favorite pinball podcast? (write in)
    Favorite Twitch streamer? (write in)

Open to any and all ideas, let's get this thing ready for a do-over.

#75 6 years ago

Aerosmith
    Alien
    Dialed In
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Star Wars
    The Jetsons
    Batman66 (started shipping late December 2016, January 2017)

When I used to do a music radio show, we cut off the annual tracks at Nov 30. So, annual awards were based on music released from Dec 1 of previous year to Nov 30 of this year. So something like Batman66 would be part of the current year's consideration.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Aerosmith
    Alien
    Dialed In
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Star Wars
    The Jetsons
    Batman66 (started shipping late December 2016, January 2017)

This seems like the right list. The AFM remake, though it has some new dress options, is really just AFM again, so I'd leave that off like as Frolic did. And the others just aren't in the right timeframe.

#77 6 years ago

Going to start a thread on this to try to get as much input as possible.

#78 6 years ago

Here is the new thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-twipy-awards-2017-pinball-awards-input-needed

frolic I tried posting your list as the first post but it wouldn't let me do back to back posts that quickly so I posted it in the original post.

Thanks for your help all.

1 week later
    #79 6 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL
    - The TWIPY Pinball Awards - Vote Now!
    - Batman ’66 Channel Changing – A First for Pinball
    - List of Thunderbirds Playfield Changes, Shipping Update
    - Stern of the Union – Code Updates, Stern in China, More
    - The Impact of the Project Pinball Charity
    - Poem about PinballBulbs.com and December SALE!
    - Poem about Pin Stadium Lighting and GIVEAWAY!
    - What’s Happening with PAPA 21?
    - The Queensland Pinball Championships
    - Victory Laps – End of Post Bonus
    - MATCH! – Next game…what is Coming Up on This Week in Pinball

http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-twipy-awards-vote-now-batman-66-code-first-pinball-list-thunderbirds-changes/

e1a1c0630f573537215aff01e60e146840ac0fef (resized).jpge1a1c0630f573537215aff01e60e146840ac0fef (resized).jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 2.18.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-12-03 at 2.18.47 PM (resized).png

YRV0V.gifYRV0V.gif

#80 6 years ago

DEEP DIVE into Houdini Pinball by American Pinball - Overview, Likes, Dislikes, Code, Features

http://thisweekinpinball.com/houdini-deep-dive-overview-likes-dislikes-code/

Screen-Shot-2017-12-13-at-6.32.00-PM (1) (resized).pngScreen-Shot-2017-12-13-at-6.32.00-PM (1) (resized).png

IMG_8736-e1513208794274 (resized).jpgIMG_8736-e1513208794274 (resized).jpg

IMG_8741-e1513210232772 (resized).jpgIMG_8741-e1513210232772 (resized).jpg

Screen-Shot-2017-12-13-at-6.34.16-PM (resized).pngScreen-Shot-2017-12-13-at-6.34.16-PM (resized).png

#81 6 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL
    - Planetary Pinball Reveals “Likely” Remakes
    - Clues from “Ask Steve Ritchie”
    - Host Announced for TWIPY Pinball Awards!
    - Houdini Deep Dive – Likes, Dislikes, Features, Code
    - Code Code Code Code – Guardians, Star Wars, Alien, WOZ
    - More Alien Info
    - Win a FREE set of Pin Stadium Lights
    - Mystery Playfield in Background of Ask Steve Ritchie
    - Victory Laps – End of Post Bonus
    - MATCH! – Next Game…What is Coming Up on This Week in Pinball
    - Several Changes to Upcoming Games and Rumors

http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-likely-remakes-revealed-clues-ask-steve-ritchie-twipy-host-announced/

Screen-Shot-2017-12-17-at-9.05.26-AM (resized).jpgScreen-Shot-2017-12-17-at-9.05.26-AM (resized).jpg
    IMG_6824 (resized).jpgIMG_6824 (resized).jpg

#82 6 years ago

The Desire to Create - Interview with Joe Balcer, playfield designer of Houdini Pinball

- How Houdini went from a piece of paper to a flippable game in four months
    - Why the unique head shape
    - An extremely cool one-of-a-kind mod is coming
    - The magic and illusion of the design and code
    - The development of the catapult
    - Houdini sales goals and how many can be produced each week
    - Game #2 - licensed or unlicensed?
    - Game #2 - who is the designer?
    - Game #2 - when will it be announced?

http://thisweekinpinball.com/exclusive-interview-joe-balcer-playfield-designer-houdini-desire-create/

#83 6 years ago

^^^ Loads of good questions asked and answered.

#84 6 years ago

Great indepth interview. I'm going to take issue with something Joe said, just to clarify for him if he reads this:

JB: Yes, a lot of naysayers. And the more naysayers there were on Pinside or online that said these guys are just BSing their way, they’re trying to take your money, all the negative things that came out

Joe, I can vividly recall that time. I would say EVERYTHING negative said on Pinside at that time had EVERYTHING to do with John Popaduik, and the taint left on the whole project.

You did the impossible by bringing a flippable game to Texas, and you and your team deserve all the credit for it. I just think if you think Pinside was being overly negative at the start towards the game and American Pinball, it was 100% on John, his legacy, and his Houdini pinball diorama he tried to pass off as a completed design.

There was also a lot of confusion about exactly when jpop was "fired" from American Pinball, when he was no longer involved. That was not made clear at the start, so the jpop shit tornado continued to twist, even though you had started over.

1 week later
    #85 6 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-happy-new-year-two-huge-new-themes-revealed-plus-kingpin/

- Happy New Year!
    - **EXCLUSIVE - New Themes Being Revealed
    - Is That a Kingpin?
    - LIVE TWIPY Pinball Awards Show coming 1/19 at 7:00PM EST
    - Pindigo Version 3 Released
    - Total Nuclear Annihilation Album Release Date, plus TnA Background and Updates
    - Chicago Gaming Updates on AFMr and Game #3
    - Guardians of the Galaxy - New Songs and Limited Editions Shipping
    - First Houdini Officially Shipped
    - Last Day to enter to win a FREE set of Pin Stadium Lights
    - Pinball Bulbs Sale
    - Alien Limited Editions Shipping?
    - NYC Pinball Championship Updates
    - IFPA Announcments
    - Victory Laps - End of Post Bonus

26113973_10156957060038712_4110069690109063876_n (resized).jpg26113973_10156957060038712_4110069690109063876_n (resized).jpg

25440053_10103089327375347_2883452950655526073_o (resized).jpg25440053_10103089327375347_2883452950655526073_o (resized).jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 8.03.11 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-12-30 at 8.03.11 AM (resized).png

#86 6 years ago

So what are the themes? I came over from the locked thread.

#87 6 years ago

I was told ages ago that one of Jack's grails was Bond and that they had at minimum an MoU with the license holders, though the title was likely a long, long way off.

#88 6 years ago

Going to announce one this weekend and one the following on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/thisweekinpinball) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/__twip__). I'm eliminating titles throughout the week.

Current possibilities:
    Back to the Future
    The Beastie Boys
    The Beatles
    Fast and the Furious
    The Goonies
    Harry Potter
    It
    James Bond
    Jaws
    Led Zeppelin
    The Matrix
    Michael Jackson
    Mission Impossible
    Muppets
    Pulp Fiction
    Super Mario Bros.
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    Zelda

Eliminated:
    Iron Maiden
    Jurassic World
    Men in Black
    Price is Right
    Superman

(Just because we're eliminating a theme doesn't mean it isn't going to be made into a pinball machine, it just means it isn't one that we know about.)

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

I was told ages ago that one of Jack's grails was Bond and that they had at minimum an MoU with the license holders, though the title was likely a long, long way off.

Last I heard Jack wants access to the entire Bond back catalog and 1 or 2 of the actors who portrayed Bond where prooving a little harder than the others to secure.

If Jack could get the entire 25 (including the next movie due out, Daniel Craig’s last one probably) movie back catalog that would be phenomenal, it’s the one theme that could get me to go CE on.

#90 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Last I heard Jack wants access to the entire Bond back catalog and 1 or 2 of the actors who portrayed Bond where prooving a little harder than the others to secure.
    If Jack could get the entire 25 (including the next movie due out, Daniel Craig’s last one probably) movie back catalog that would be phenomenal, it’s the one theme that could get me to go CE on.

There are so many Bond films now that I don't really think it matters. Even if Connery were missing, it would hardly be fatal. There's so much material.

Anyway, from what I heard, AT LEAST another 3 titles before it will come out, at earliest, if it does.

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Anyway, from what I heard, AT LEAST another 3 titles before it will come out, at earliest, if it does.

Well that is good news, that means I have plenty of time to to start saving, but first I have to handle the crap my ex is causing me.

#92 6 years ago

I played the F out of the new Willy Wonka slot machine over the holidays in Tahoe

Because of Joe K. I’m guessing that one goes to Stern

Bond is a 100% must have for me

#93 6 years ago

In 2012, Activision released the game "007 Legends." The game itself was terrible, but they used levels that were all based on old movies. One level was from Moonraker, the other from Goldfinger, Skyfall, and so on and so forth. They all used Daniel Craig's likeness, even though much of the game takes place in areas where Connery or Moore should be the protagonist. I thought it was a good idea. It'd be neat to see a pinball machine do much of the same: It wouldn't need likenesses of all the James Bond portrayals, just the classic locations and plotlines.

#94 6 years ago

My heart wants a new Back to the Future or Super Mario Bros. My head says its probably Fast and the Furious or Willy Wonka.

#95 6 years ago

My guess is both Zelda and Super Mario, based on this seems to be information that TWIP came across through indirect means, like seeing a list of licensors, like how someone spotted Stern once on a list of Star Trek licenses. And since it's "2" it has to be licenses that are owned together. Possibly there are pairs of licenses in the remaining list, but the Nintendo ones stick out to me.

#96 6 years ago

OMG who's idea was this, this is taking forever.

Going to announce the first one later today instead of waiting any longer.

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

OMG who's idea was this, this is taking forever.
    Going to announce the first one later today instead of waiting any longer.

The Who in - who is making it? is of equal interest.

#98 6 years ago

There's three new James Bond themed slot machines that just came out in the past couple months. I'm not a fan of slots, but the machine configuration looks like it would be a good match for JJP's display system.

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

who is making it? is of equal interest

Totally agree - unfortunately the ONLY info I have is that a pinball manufacturer HAS the license and is working on the theme - I don't know specifics on timing or which manufacturer has it.

I wish I knew more!

Going to announce on Facebook and Twitter in about 30 minutes during my lunch.

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Well that is good news, that means I have plenty of time to to start saving, but first I have to handle the crap my ex is causing me.</

Get rid of her

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-this-week-in-pinball/page/2?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.