Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,600 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 86 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15_G (resized).jpeg
    Alex-PXL_20210816_214617200-2048x1152 (resized).jpg
    safe_image (resized).jpg
    28828191_2130936530468121_5394942295120187397_o (resized).jpg
    Williams Mashup Vol 2 Translite-4 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.21.30 PM (resized).png
    Arcade1Up-Banner-1-e1625015245371 (1) (resized).jpg
    205789224_4224325530961975_2339908732094246552_n (resized).jpg
    200387345_10159716994453627_133682609964272322_n (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.23.51 AM (resized).png
    TWIP6 (resized).jpg
    189032753_10161094107497586_7190923247058081221_n (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinball_mountain_illustration-1536x2048 (resized).jpeg
    Mandalorian-LE-Details-Ambient-22 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 32.
    #1151 5 years ago

This whole crying about a dollar per tournament entry going to a national organization that helps promote pinball is absurd. A dollar?! How much is that spread across all of the games that one plays in a tournament? Ten cents per play? Good grief.

Pinball is a whole lot more fun because the IFPA has rankings and sanctions events. I don't play much competitive pinball due to time constraints, but if I did I'd be very glad that someone was keeping track of my ranking compared to other players across the entire world. I'm super into watching competitive pinball streams on Twitch now and the IFPA rankings and increased prize pools make it more interesting to watch than ever.

To imply that the Sharpes are skimming dollars off of people so that they can line their own pockets with what a few hundred dollars is absolutely absurd and douchey. They have careers in the arcade and pinball industries. They aren't stupid enough to torpedo their own careers to make a few pennies. They win tournaments because they're good. If you don't like it, beat them.

#1152 5 years ago
    Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:

To imply that the Sharpes are skimming dollars off of people so that they can line their own pockets with what a few hundred dollars is absolutely absurd and douchey. They have careers in the arcade and pinball industries. They aren't stupid enough to torpedo their own careers to make a few pennies. They win tournaments because they're good. If you don't like it, beat them.

We did take $.05 of every dollar to cover Paypal/Stripe fees along with any currency translation fees from our Canadian friends up North.

Unfortunately the 5% didn't cover those fees so I ended up writing a personal check to IFPA for $1,280.89 to cover the shortfall of the funds we promised to payout via the 75/20 split between Nationals and State's.

Turns out I am stupid enough to actually PAY money to do all this

#1153 5 years ago

Fees are a bitch (processing fees). There are so many that apply and I always feel like I’m missing some hidden one that’s going to screw me after I agree to the terms.

#1154 5 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

We did take $.05 of every dollar to cover Paypal/Stripe fees along with any currency translation fees from our Canadian friends up North.
    Unfortunately the 5% didn't cover those fees so I ended up writing a personal check to IFPA for $1,280.89 to cover the shortfall of the funds we promised to payout via the 75/20 split between Nationals and State's.
    Turns out I am stupid enough to actually PAY money to do all this

Thanks for all you do Josh!

#1155 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Nah but thanks. I largely stopped playing competitively. More fun to play casually. I spent plenty of time helping build competitive pinball in WI over the past 5+ years only to have the rules rapidly change for the benefit of ultra competitive folks that I care little about catering to at the detriment to the masses. There is little doubt that the changes are what directly slowed the growth of ifpa sanctioned events despite the continued huge boom in pinball as a whole.
    Happy for you and your family that those “just a buck” entry fees are adding up.
    I look forward to your eventual reality show and full sponsorship.

Weren’t we a superstate though? Things didn’t even slow in WI.

#1156 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Weren’t we a superstate though? Things didn’t even slow in WI.

Actually they did. I have the spreadsheet but on old cpu. WI did see a bump to offset the overall decrease due largely to titletown. That is a great venue where many are going to play and happy for any fee just to experience those games. This year will see even more numbers with the return of MGC to ifpa and the sheer volume of titletown. I surmise that nobody will even qualify for state without at least one trip to green bay. Without the creation of titletown then wi numbers would have been way down

Eric is doing tons for competitive pinball in WI and I hear his location is likely one of the best anywhere.

Heck, I even plan to make it up sometime just to play the games ( I don’t care about ifpa points anymore)

#1157 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I don’t care about ifpa points anymore

Just say the word . . .

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1158 5 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Just say the word . . . [quoted image]

Weird flex, but cool.

Thanks but I still have some friends whom care for them and for the ocassional sanctioned event I play in, I know they like the base points from me playing to be included rather than supressed. If you have to pay the buck, then might as well let those guys get the benefit.

Also, gotta hold on to that top 1000 through the year so I can buy a beatles on close out with IFPA deal

Bonus points that there is this one local loser whom I still rank higher than despite not playing competitively. It grinds his gears so worth it.

#1159 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Thanks but I still have some friends whom care for them and for the ocassional sanctioned event I play in, I know they like the base points from me playing to be included rather than supressed.

Suppressed players get included in the base value of the event. The name of suppressed players are simply not displayed in the results under the player's real name. All other calculations are the same.

We're ready when you are with Beatles on the rewards program

#1160 5 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Suppressed players get included in the base value of the event. The name of suppressed players are simply not displayed in the results under the player's real name. All other calculations are the same.

Quoted from ifpapinball:

Is beatles on IFPA deal now? If so, pls message me deets.

Thx

#1161 5 years ago

And this Ladies and Gentlemen is why This week in Pinball has no comment section!

#1163 5 years ago

Gladly pay a Buck for a tourny plus any entrance fee, and buy a t-shirt and a beer.
    It's pinball gang, relax.

#1164 5 years ago

I was a fairly vocal critic of the $1 fee (see posts here to rehash old history - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018), but in my area, it had pretty much zero effect on tournaments. The same tournaments are being held, new tournaments are being added regularly and new players are continuously joining the scene. While I still am not a big fan of the dollar fee, it has been a non-issue and I can't see IFPA going away from it at this point.

#1165 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

I was a fairly vocal critic of the $1 fee (see posts here to rehash old history - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018), but in my area, it had pretty much zero effect on tournaments. The same tournaments are being held, new tournaments are being added regularly and new players are continuously joining the scene. While I still am not a big fan of the dollar fee, it has been a non-issue and I can't see IFPA going away from it at this point.

yeah I see no reason for them to go away from it. TBT it seems like such a success, I am not sure why they would not change it to $2? It is only another buck after all.

#1166 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-april-22nd-2019/

- Josh Kugler Interview
    - Wonka Streams/Coverage
    - Pat Lawlor on Designing
    - What is Brian Eddy Working On
    - Stern and Zen Studios
    - PinSound Giveaway Contest
    - deeproot Insider Info

#1168 5 years ago

Thank you for these updates!

#1169 4 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-april-29th-2019/

- Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland Teaser
    - deeproot Studios
    - Eric Meunier Interview
    - Matt Hardy Pinball
    - New Podcast Alert
    - PinSound Giveaway

#1170 4 years ago

Last Day to Enter the April Pinball Giveaways – Enter Now!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/last-day-to-enter-the-april-pinball-giveaways-enter-now/

- Pin Stadium FUSION ($400)
    - PinSound Gift Card ($100)
    - Pinball Photos Metallic Photo Print ($75)
    - Comet Pinball Gift Card ($50)
    - Titan Pinball Universal Silicone Ring Kit in Your Choice of Color ($41)
    - Hooked on Pinball Gift Card ($25)
    - Mezel Mods Gift Card ($20)
    - Pinball Life Pin Gulp ($12)
    - Stern Pinball Munsters Translite autographed by John Borg
    - Multimorphic, Inc Lexy Lightspeed Translite
    - Jersey Jack Pinball Dialed In Translite autographed by Jack Guarnieri
    - Spooky Pinball LLC Set of 4 LED Light Up Spooky Pint Glasses
    - This Week in Pinball T-Shirt
    - This Week in Pinball Keychain
    - This Week in Pinball Lapel Pin

#1171 4 years ago

When you giving away 4 (5?) deeproot pins - one each designer? Daddy needs a new pair of shoes.

#1173 4 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-may-6th-2019/

- Cosmic Carnival Pinball Changes
    - Black Knight Launch Parties
    - ACNC Streams
    - Jack Guarnieri Interview
    - Franchi and Stern
    - Rumors on Keith Elwin Next Game, Catwoman, deeproot Display

#1174 4 years ago

I hope the ramps in those Cosmic Carnival photos are not production quality...the wire ramp looks a bit janky with rough forms, and the plastic ramp looks pretty cloudy and rough.

#1175 4 years ago

It's funny how they say the ramps aren't symmetrical anymore. Sure, they take a different path in the air, but the entry & exit points haven't changed.

#1176 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

It's funny how they say the ramps aren't symmetrical anymore.

That's because 'they' get the meaning of symmetry.

#1177 4 years ago

Shot layout still symmetrical, aka boring. I can’t shoot a habitrail in midair.

#1178 4 years ago

Happy TWIP Tuesday Pinheads!! (Yeah, we're a little late sharing this today)

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-may-7th-2019/

- Pinball Hall of Fame Files Plans
    - Dead Flip Orbit Lock
    - Pinfest
    - Spiderman Bribe
    - Last Man Standing
    - TNA Owners Manual

#1179 4 years ago

May Giveaway Extravaganza!! Enter now to win loads of awesome pinball giveaways!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/may-giveaway-extravaganza-enter-now/

- Pin Stadium FUSION ($400)
    - PinSound Gift Card ($100)
    - Pinball Photos Snow Marble Pinball Coasters ($90)
    - Comet Pinball Gift Card ($50)
    - Titan Pinball Universal Silicone Ring Kit in Your Choice of Color ($41)
    - Hooked on Pinball Gift Card ($25)
    - Pinball Life Pin Gulp ($12)
    - Cosmic Carnival T-Shirt and Stock Hat from SunCoast Pinball
    - Stern Pinball Black Knight Sword of Rage Translite autographed by Steve Ritchie
    - Multimorphic, Inc Lexy Lightspeed Translite
    - Jersey Jack Pinball Dialed In Translite autographed by Jack Guarnieri
    - Spooky Pinball 2 Travel Coffee Cups, 2 Koozies, 2 Water Bottles
    - This Week in Pinball T-Shirt
    - This Week in Pinball Keychain
    - This Week in Pinball Lapel Pin

#1180 4 years ago

Check out the crazy story behind Matt Hardy’s Expedition of Gold Pinball Machine - one of the best and most complex rethemes ever!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/matt-hardys-expedition-of-gold-pinball-machine-interviews-with-reby-hardy-and-brian-soares/

- The Players
    - Features
    - Rules and Code
    - Interview with Reby Hardy and Brian Soares

#1182 4 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-may-13th-2019/

- Cosmic Carnival Gameplay and Rules
    - Black Knight Updates
    - Making of the Munsters
    - Space Mission X
    - Pinball Profile Mega Episode
    - Rumors on Upcoming Stern Titles
    - Dirty Donny Book Giveaway

#1183 4 years ago

Happy TWIP Tuesday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-may-7th-2019-2/

- Catwoman BM66 Coming?
    - deeproot Pinball Announcement
    - Oktoberfest Details
    - 30 Years of Stern Book
    - NYC City Council
    - Golden Retriever Dance Moves

#1184 4 years ago

PINQUEST Pinball App Preview – Launching May 25th

Interested in feedback on this - would you use an application like this?

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/pinquest-pinball-app-preview-launching-may-25th/

#1185 4 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-may-20th-2019/

- Batman ’66 Catwoman
    - Munsters Premium in Color
    - Superman ’78 Artwork
    - Ben Heck Comments on Evil Dead
    - Harry Potter Virtual Pin
    - Oktoberfest Kugler Stream
    - Rumors: 3D Space Cadet Pinball
    - Giveaway of Dirty Donny Book

#1186 4 years ago

Happy TWIP Tuesday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-may-21th-2019/

- Kingpin and Python’s Pinball Circus Updates
    - Dead Flip Mock Ups
    - Cosmic Carnival Gameplay
    - Buffalo Black Knight Review
    - Mrs. Pin P4D
    - Scott Ian
    - John Borg vs. Mountain Lion
    - RIP Grumpy Cat

1 month later
    #1188 4 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-june-24th-2019/

- Gary Stern Interview
    - Black Knight Physical Game Enhancement
    - Chuck Ernst Interview
    - Wonka
    - Rumors: Danesi Game #2
    - Pinball for Mortals

2 weeks later
    #1189 4 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-july-8th-2019/

- Wonkas are Shipping
    - Jersey Jack Interview
    - Keith Elwin Interview
    - Cosmic Carnival Shipping
    - Spooky Pinball Podcast Nuggets
    - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    - Open Letter to TWIP Readers

#1190 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL
    Happy Monday Pinheads!!
    https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-july-8th-2019/
    - Wonkas are Shipping
    - Jersey Jack Interview
    - Keith Elwin Interview
    - Cosmic Carnival Shipping
    - Spooky Pinball Podcast Nuggets
    - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    - Open Letter to TWIP Readers

Great issue Jeff.....and I wholeheartedly support the reasoning behind your decision in canceling your Wonka order! No matter how great a product is, if someone had done to me what Jack did to you, I would have left a sour taste in my mouth as well...

#1191 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Open Letter to TWIP Readers

I gotta say that this is all really strange to get all hurt over (to the point of cancelling a game you presumably wanted and frankly is the best thing to be built by JJP to this point).

There are many inaccuracies and publicly berating JJP for not telling you games were on the line for 2 weeks is silly and honestly well below your typical quality product. Once you became a paid insiders service, things are going to change with how some in the industry treat you. That is just the reality.

You were told a white lie than really made no difference besides you were no the first to be able to report on it.'

All your reaction does is erode reader base faith in your lack of bias on games/manufacturers/etc... and if anything it could cause others to also pull back formt eh things they may tell you.

not that you asked for it, but just my advice.

Forget about it and move on. you are better than it.

#1192 4 years ago

I... agree with Hilton? Wow.

#1193 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I... agree with Hilton? Wow.

Hahaha. When you're right, you're right.

Deciding when to release information to the "media" is a choice by the company and it's representatives. I feel like "X isn't happening" right before X happens is a pretty common thing among all companies, not just pinball. As Jack mentioned further up in the TWIP today, sometimes things like that are competitive secrets.

Also, is "pinball media" really a thing?

#1194 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I gotta say that this is all really strange to get all hurt over (to the point of cancelling a game you presumably wanted and frankly is the best thing to be built by JJP to this point).
    There are many inaccuracies and publicly berating JJP for not telling you games were on the line for 2 weeks is silly and honestly well below your typical quality product. Once you became a paid insiders service, things are going to change with how some in the industry treat you. That is just the reality.
    You were told a white lie than really made no difference besides you were no the first to be able to report on it.'
    All your reaction does is erode reader base faith in your lack of bias on games/manufacturers/etc... and if anything it could cause others to also pull back formt eh things they may tell you.
    not that you asked for it, but just my advice.
    Forget about it and move on. you are better than it.

Yeah, it's kind of like a kid saying 'I'm not going to be your friend anymore'!

#1195 4 years ago

Jeff...you are coming off as kinda childish here. Jack didn't tell you the truth because he probably didn't want that information out there yet, and couldn't trust you to not spread the truth it if he asked you not to. Maybe he isn't into "paid rumors"? The whole thing just sounds really petty.

#1196 4 years ago

Hey all, I get how it comes across. I've got an email list for TWIP, and a lot of those people are not on social media or on Pinside, and I've been getting several questions from those folks about the Wonka reporting, so felt I had to address it on the TWIP website, which I hadn't done yet. Guessing the horse is all the way dead now, hopefully this is the last you'll hear of it.

#1197 4 years ago

People talking about how good a TMNT game could be, doesn't make it a potential rumor game that is likely to be built.

#1198 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

People talking about how good a TMNT game could be, doesn't make it a potential rumor game that is likely to be built.

Totally agree!

#1199 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Hey all, I get how it comes across. I've got an email list for TWIP, and a lot of those people are not on social media or on Pinside, and I've been getting several questions from those folks about the Wonka reporting, so felt I had to address it on the TWIP website, which I hadn't done yet.

It's standard protocol for corrections to be provided in the publication where the error was listed. Since you reported his statement as fact, it only made sense to issue why the statement was false in the publication as well, like any newspaper would. Obviously, last week off delayed things, but I respect that you took the trouble to clarify why TWIP countered against the rumors so strongly based on the direct statements TWIP was receiving from the company.

Outside of indicating you cancelled your order, the rest of the statement fits with how any media entity I've seen has dealt with a person/entity caught lying to them (denoting it publicly when it impacts the reporting, because there is a tie to credibility).

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Also, is "pinball media" really a thing?

No idea, but TWIP seems to try and apply journalistic standards to how information is reported (denoting rumors as such and placing, until now at least, a higher denotation on official statements from the organization versus less vetted intel). Whether that's a pinball media or not I don't know, but I respect what TWIP is trying to do. The phrase "no comment" exists for a reason; I was very disappointed in the decision to lie to TWIP and I'm glad it was publicly indicated. A lot of people in this hobby, especially if they were in this position, I think would have been too scared to say something and upset the apple cart. One of the first signs of a media is when it is willing to report the facts, regardless of potential fallout. I can't imagine Jeff was comfortable doing this, but I think his decision was the "media" decision. My two cents anyway.

#1200 4 years ago

Is Bill and Ted not a rumor?

I have been hearing that every few months for about a year so I figured it would be on the list?

Am I the only one hearing that. 3 different sources that have all had some lucky insights in the past, so I have started to will it into existence also

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-this-week-in-pinball/page/24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.