3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,411 posts
  • 246 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 hours ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 92 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 249 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

glowinthedarkphonesNew (resized).jpeg
    Screen-Shot-2020-06-28-at-2.29.18-PM (resized).png
    Flipping_Off_Cancer-Low-Res_900x (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 12.38.32 PM (resized).png
    yeti-working (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    IMG_3123 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3125 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3126 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3131 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3132 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3128 (resized).JPG
    Giveaway Items.gif
    Color-768x454 (resized).png
    2019-09-28 09_13_25-TWIP TUESDAY_ September 24th, 2019 - This Week in Pinball (resized).png
    gtbXxXd (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1411 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 29.
    #1101 1 year ago

Pinball Buzz....hahaha. If these machines are anything like his books, they will be made out of cardboard and rubber bands. I'm going to go order a years worth of popcorn off Amazon now.

#1102 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Pinball Buzz....hahaha. If these machines are anything like his books, they will be made out of cardboard and rubber bands. I'm going to go order a years worth of popcorn off Amazon now.

I'm guessing that douche is going to offer some sort of subscription service to get all announced titles if you pay up front. And people will buy it...

#1103 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Nearly every sentence on the website is an empty statement. There is almost zero content. "Only the best" wood, "only the best" voice over artists, why don't tell us what the wood is, who does the voice overs? The abundance of terrible stock photos make it look like someone operating out of a bedroom. I hope the whole thing is a joke. But even the joke isn't good.

#1104 1 year ago
    Quoted from frolic:

announcing those themes, 5 years in advance, with nothing to show for them? good grief.

This project may have stood a chance if it had been launched 5 years ago!

Now it seems everybody is making pinballs. Classic toppy market.

#1105 1 year ago

Pinball buzz game names sound more like phone games than pinball.

#1106 1 year ago

Good news is, Pinball Buzz will probably be dead after this venture. Starting a pinball biz off nothing but some vague artwork and a bunch of hyperbole is a great way to waste millions.

#1107 1 year ago

From Pinball Buzz, a picture of John, "master of vintage pinball restoration", in front of a "freshly fixed" Houdini, circa 2018.

John Houdini (resized).PNG
    #1108 1 year ago
    Quoted from adol75:

From Pinball Buzz, a picture of John, "master of vintage pinball restoration", in front of a "freshly fixed" Houdini, circa 2018. [quoted image]

Remember, putting new bulbs/changing colored LEDs in a pin is considered restoration...

#1109 1 year ago

Happy TWIP Tuesday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-april-9th-2019/

- 5th Major Championship
    - ACNC Code Update
    - Oktoberfest/American Pinball Updates
    - Pirates of the Caribbean Tutorial
    - Heckle to Win
    - Stern Photos
    - Best Birthday Cake Ever
    - Breaking Bad Pinball

#1110 1 year ago

Oh dear.

#1111 1 year ago

Pinball Buzz's pinball machine page is loaded with a bunch of stock photos.. Who are they trying to fool?

Screenshot_20190409-122146_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #1112 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Pinball Buzz's pinball machine page is loaded with a bunch of stock photos.. Who are they trying to fool?[quoted image]

Any idea who's behind this sham?

#1113 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Pinball Buzz's pinball machine page is loaded with a bunch of stock photos.. Who are they trying to fool?[quoted image]

Most websites are.

So?

#1114 1 year ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Most websites are.
    So?

Not the -product- pages usually

#1115 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not the -product- pages usually

Exactly... His description is quite misleading. There is no way he actually has teams of people hired already. But his photos make it appear that way. I hope he doesn't take pre-order money on pins like he did for his sham of a book series.

#1116 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Exactly... His description is quite misleading. There is no way he actually has teams of people hired already.

Maybe they're just Butt-Ugly?

#1117 1 year ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Maybe they're just Butt-Ugly?

An angle I never considered! Thank you!

#1118 1 year ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Nearly every sentence on the website is an empty statement. There is almost zero content. "Only the best" wood, "only the best" voice over artists, why don't tell us what the wood is, who does the voice overs? The abundance of terrible stock photos make it look like someone operating out of a bedroom. I hope the whole thing is a joke. But even the joke isn't good.

I heard that they're going to get steve hytner (the guy who played kenny bania on seinfeld) as their spokesperson

#1119 1 year ago

April Giveaway Extravaganza!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/march-giveaway-winners-april-pinball-giveaways-announced-enter-now/

Enter to win, our list of giveaways keeps growing! April includes:

- Pin Stadium FUSION ($400)
    - PinSound Gift Card ($100)
    - Pinball Photos Metallic Photo Print ($75)
    - Comet Pinball Gift Card ($50)
    - Titan Pinball Universal Silicone Ring Kit in Your Choice of Color ($41)
    - Hooked on Pinball Gift Card ($25)
    - Mezel Mods Gift Card ($20)
    - Pinball Life Pin Gulp ($12)
    - Stern Pinball Munsters Translite autographed by John Borg
    - Multimorphic, Inc Lexy Lightspeed Translite
    - Jersey Jack Pinball Dialed In Translite autographed by Jack Guarnieri
    - Spooky Pinball LLC Set of 4 LED Light Up Spooky Pint Glasses
    - This Week in Pinball T-Shirt
    - This Week in Pinball Keychain
    - This Week in Pinball Lapel Pin

We're working on even more for May!

#1120 1 year ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-april-15th-2019/

- Willy Wonka Reveal
    - Black Knight Reveal Stream
    - Beetlejuice Artwork Shared
    - Oktoberfest Shipping
    - deeproot Whitewoods
    - PinSound Giveaway Contest

#1121 1 year ago

Gah, I want Beetlejuice to happen.

#1122 1 year ago

Nice backglass for Beetlejuice.

Interesting if a team at Stern doesn't like a theme the game doesn't get done.

Might explain why Stern seem to have a lot of licenses that don't get used.

#1123 1 year ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Nice backglass for Beetlejuice.
    Interesting if a team at Stern doesn't like a theme the game doesn't get done.
    Might explain why Stern seem to have a lot of licenses that don't get used.

Also probably explains why Ghostbusters isn't getting finished.

#1124 1 year ago

No podcast this week? ;_;

#1125 1 year ago

The artwork for Beetlejuice looks amazing!
    I find it really hard to believe one of the teams didn’t want to do it. Probably they weren’t even asked!
    Such a waste.

#1126 1 year ago

FWIW, the post disappeared...what did Gomez say about it before it was taken down?

#1127 1 year ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

No podcast this week? ;_;

It’s coming soon! Should be up today.

#1128 1 year ago

Happy TWIP Tuesday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-april-16th-2019/

- Pintastic Special Guests
    - New Podcast
    - Code Updates
    - Path of Play Newsletter
    - Houdini Mod
    - Kardashians
    - Undertale
    - Nancy Wilson

#1129 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sethman:

The artwork for Beetlejuice looks amazing!
    I find it really hard to believe one of the teams didn’t want to do it.e.

That quote is interesting. In the end, working on a game is a year+ of your life. It's cool to think the teams have some say and get to pick things that really excite them.

From everything reported, staff at Stern work below market value for their skills so they can work in pinball. Combine that with working on pinball projects that pump their blood, that sounds like a great environment.

#1130 1 year ago

no MGC coverage?

#1131 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

FWIW, the post disappeared...what did Gomez say about it before it was taken down?

I'd be curious to know as well. Anyone catch it before it disappeared?

#1132 1 year ago
    Quoted from T-800:

I'd be curious to know as well. Anyone catch it before it disappeared?

Something around:
    "You're fired!"? (For the third time.)

#1134 1 year ago

Seems like the dollar has pretty dramatically increased the number of events that existing players enter.

#1135 1 year ago

of course they will continue the fee. its funneling money directly to the top players and their friends.

#1136 1 year ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

of course they will continue the fee. its funneling money directly to the top players and their friends.

That was the best part of the $1 fee for me. All my friends got money too. They had no idea what the IFPA was or that pinball even existed, but appreciated that just bring my friend got them paid.

#1137 1 year ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

In case anyone needs a reminder of whom took home the vast majority of the money from these "it is just $1"
    https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=28932

Those dollars add up and no small coincidence when you note the top of that list and the head of the IFPA

I am sure it had nothing to do with the decision to start charging the buck though...

#1138 1 year ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

In case anyone needs a reminder of whom took home the vast majority of the money from these "it is just $1"
    https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=28932

Those dollars add up and no small coincidence when you note the top of that list and the head of the IFPA

I am sure it had nothing to do with the decision to start charging the buck though...

Zach actually took home $0 out of the NACS pool at Nationals. His prize was the same prize as every previous year (NIB Stern Pro).

Let me know if you need any additional assistance getting that Wisconsin ranking system started

#1139 1 year ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Zach actually took home $0 out of the NACS pool at Nationals. His prize was the same prize as every previous year (NIB Stern Pro).
    Let me know if you need any additional assistance getting that Wisconsin ranking system started

Nah but thanks. I largely stopped playing competitively. More fun to play casually. I spent plenty of time helping build competitive pinball in WI over the past 5+ years only to have the rules rapidly change for the benefit of ultra competitive folks that I care little about catering to at the detriment to the masses. There is little doubt that the changes are what directly slowed the growth of ifpa sanctioned events despite the continued huge boom in pinball as a whole.

Happy for you and your family that those “just a buck” entry fees are adding up.

I look forward to your eventual reality show and full sponsorship.

#1140 1 year ago

To my point above, it looks like the incentive to qualify, or improve your seed, given the increased payouts for State/Province finals, had a significant positive effect on the number of players attending more events. Personally, I'm a pretty middling player - I won a handful of bucks at States, about enough to recoup half my "dollars" - but also really enjoy there being something significant at stake when I compete. I find it extremely difficult to believe a dollar dissuaded many folks from participating in a tourney.

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1141 1 year ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

To my point above, it looks like the incentive to qualify, or improve your seed, given the increased payouts for State/Province finals, had a significant positive effect on the number of players attending more events. Personally, I'm a pretty middling player - I won a handful of bucks at States, about enough to recoup half my "dollars" - but also really enjoy there being something significant at stake when I compete. I find it extremely difficult to believe a dollar dissuaded many folks from participating in a tourney.[quoted image]

We lost exactly zero players in 2018 and have only increased events and numbers since this was implemented. We award little to no cash prizes at events around here too. Most of the time it’s a $1 gift to the Ifpa gods, and maybe coin drop.

#1142 1 year ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If it can happen to mini golf...

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/steph-curry-produce-and-star-mini-golf-tv-series-holey-moley

#1143 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

We lost exactly zero players in 2018 and have only increased events and numbers since this was implemented. We award little to no cash prizes at events around here too. Most of the time it’s a $1 gift to the Ifpa gods, and maybe coin drop.

There were players lost. I didn't play in anything that required paying to IFPA, therefore your initial statement is incorrect. I had a ranking before that. There was an increase in events, but it was considerably less of an increase than previous years. It's not give a dollar, its give a dollar every time that the people with issues are generally against. A single yearly buy in is more palatable, to the point that I'd buy in at $5/year and play once and be happy with that even though playing and paying once under this system would only cost me $1.

#1144 1 year ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

A single yearly buy in is more palatable, to the point that I'd buy in at $5/year and play once and be happy with that even though playing and paying once under this system would only cost me $1.

This literally makes no sense. I mean this sincerely. Do you not eat out at restaurants because they don't offer an Annual Meal Plan?

#1145 1 year ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

There were players lost. I didn't play in anything that required paying to IFPA, therefore your initial statement is incorrect.

In my area we lost zero players. Do you play regularly in NKY and Cincy? I don’t think we’ve met. If you are local, I’ll gladly cover your $1 from here on out to get you to come back.

#1146 1 year ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Nah but thanks. I largely stopped playing competitively. More fun to play casually. I spent plenty of time helping build competitive pinball in WI over the past 5+ years only to have the rules rapidly change for the benefit of ultra competitive folks that I care little about catering to at the detriment to the masses. There is little doubt that the changes are what directly slowed the growth of ifpa sanctioned events despite the continued huge boom in pinball as a whole.

Happy for you and your family that those “just a buck” entry fees are adding up.

I can appreciate your opinion that this data supports that the dollar negatively impacted growth. There's no doubt we lost players due to protest over the dollar fee (yourself, Marvin, etc). There's no doubt we gained players through the ignorance of people having no idea about the fee. Overall as long as the fee didn't absolutely destroy the competitive pinball scene I was going to be fine with it. I'll take a "slower growth rate" as a win in our books.

Most important to me is my thanks for continuing to serve as one of the IFPA Wisconsin State Representatives. It's nice that you can set your personal opinions aside to still help our organization out.

#1147 1 year ago

$1 a tournament to have someone compile all those scores, give you a well run website and coordinate State/National/World championships?

smh...some people just need any excuse to be outraged. I'm guessing there are a lot of things these people are angry about, and their family/friends are always nervous to ask them how their day went.

#1148 1 year ago

One small request for TWIP? The description on the pinside post(bulleted list) would be great to put oh the episode's description. I use the Google Podcast app to listen to my 'casts, and it's sometimes hard to sync up the pniside post referencing the episode, compared to the episode number. Or list the episode # on the pinside post.

Thanks,.

#1149 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

In my area we lost zero players. Do you play regularly in NKY and Cincy? I don’t think we’ve met. If you are local, I’ll gladly cover your $1 from here on out to get you to come back.

different area, I assumed the "we" you said was in reference to IFPA in general.

#1150 1 year ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

This literally makes no sense. I mean this sincerely. Do you not eat out at restaurants because they don't offer an Annual Meal Plan?

It makes complete sense. its not the cost directly, its the method (and the subsequent funneling to friends) that is irritating some people.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 1411 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 29.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside