Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,600 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 86 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15_G (resized).jpeg
    Alex-PXL_20210816_214617200-2048x1152 (resized).jpg
    safe_image (resized).jpg
    28828191_2130936530468121_5394942295120187397_o (resized).jpg
    Williams Mashup Vol 2 Translite-4 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.21.30 PM (resized).png
    Arcade1Up-Banner-1-e1625015245371 (1) (resized).jpg
    205789224_4224325530961975_2339908732094246552_n (resized).jpg
    200387345_10159716994453627_133682609964272322_n (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.23.51 AM (resized).png
    TWIP6 (resized).jpg
    189032753_10161094107497586_7190923247058081221_n (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinball_mountain_illustration-1536x2048 (resized).jpeg
    Mandalorian-LE-Details-Ambient-22 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 32.
    #1001 5 years ago

Cool! I love me some DD pinball art.

I was just thinking of starting a thread the other day asking if anyone knows if he's working on a future game? Been too long...

#1002 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Hmmmmm. I don't think even Aerosmith-quality artwork can save that turd of a layout (especially at a $5500 price point).

Way to attack a nascent pinball company before they're even off the ground. Classy.

#1003 5 years ago

Who or what is a "Dirty Donny"?

#1004 5 years ago

He is Donny, You know Donny right?

Well just a dirty version of him

#1005 5 years ago

Donny.gifDonny.gif

#1006 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Who or what is a "Dirty Donny"?

Amazing artist who launched the current renaissance in hand drawn pinball art with Metallica pinball.

Metallica insisted on Donny doing the art on their game (he had done a home brew Metallica pinball with them and some of their other stuff).

He’s also done Aerosmith and the Pabst game.

#1007 5 years ago

Last chance to get in on the first run of TWIP shirts! We'll be ordering in the next day or two.

For the first run, the ONLY way to reserve your shirt is to be a monthly supporter of TWIP at $10 or more.

$20/month gets a t-shirt and polo shirt and Early Access and Insider Info - rumors that are not fit for the TWIP site because they don't have enough evidence (yet). That is where we send weekly-ish updates and speculate heavily about all things pinball - what we're hearing about rumored future titles like James Bond, Jaws, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Jurassic World, etc.

Any monthly donation gets free entry into monthly drawings with over $1,000 in giveaways (each month!).

TWIP continues because of your support - thank you for your consideration!

https://www.patreon.com/TWIP/overview

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 1.12.44 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-01-25 at 1.12.44 PM (resized).png
    #1008 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-january-28th-2019/

- Quinn Johnson Interview
    - Beatles Topper
    - CGC Addresses MBr Delays
    - Ben Heck Talks Monty Python
    - James Bond Rumor
    - Mod of the Week
    - Name the Game
    - Upcoming Games and Rumors

#1009 5 years ago

Happy TWIP Tuesday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-january-29th-2019/

- Trudeau
    - Michael Gottlieb Interview
    - Youth in Competitive Pinball
    - Update from Dutch Pinball
    - Code Updates
    - Pinball Themed AirBNB
    - Aziz Homebrew

#1010 5 years ago

https://diode.zone/videos/watch/dd039de1-e8e2-47c9-b761-6ca2092eb717

I had this idea for years but no knowledge to really implement it. Really glad someone is trying it out. Only downside (at least the way that video is showing) is in order to project onto the playfield the glass can't be installed. There "might" be a way you could project underneath the glass if you used a super short throw projector. I would MUCH rather see something like this implemented than the giant LCD screen of multimorphic that compromises the playfield design (plus you can change the art on any portion of the playfield so long as everything is kept white).

#1011 5 years ago

Angry Birds Pinball Pitch from Heighway Pinball - check it out!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/the-twipys/

Screen-Shot-2019-01-14-at-9.15.06-PM (resized).pngScreen-Shot-2019-01-14-at-9.15.06-PM (resized).png
    #1012 5 years ago

I can't get over how bad of an theme idea that is. It shows zero knowledge of their demographic. Did they only want to sell a dozen games?

It's cool that they wanted to try something different. I like the lane switch on the ramp ala The Shadow. But I wouldn't trust their engineering to pull off the building mechs, it seems kinda simple, I think those piggie targets would be more annoying than fun, who knows if the canon would be fun the millionth time, etc.. The pops instead of slings (with ball guides) seem theme appropriate. But what a terrible theme... They should be glad they went bankrupt before being laughed out of the showroom.

#1014 5 years ago

I think the rotating and sinking building is an interesting concept. Basically combine Dr. Who and Theater of Magic. If someone could pull it off, it would certainly provide a crazy variety of shots.

#1015 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I had this idea for years but no knowledge to really implement it. Really glad someone is trying it out. Only downside (at least the way that video is showing) is in order to project onto the playfield the glass can't be installed.

Look again, the glass is on in that video.

#1016 5 years ago

I was positing the merits of an Angry Birds pinball as far back as 2009, so the license was ultimately my idea, as was the bulk of that pitch document work, with Phil Dixon providing the renders. That was very early on in the Heighway days, it was still 2012 when that was put together. I've already said this elsewhere, but it fell through not because Rovio didn't like it, but because they wanted to protect their family-friendly image and insisted the machine couldn't go into any adult-orientated establishments, and we couldn't possibly guarantee that.

#1017 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-february-4th-2019/

- Munsters Updates: Flyers, Midnight Madness, Secret Mania
    - Deadpool Topper
    - Jersey Jack Pinball Release Timeline
    - Michael Gottlieb on the Meltdown Pinball Podcast
    - Great Lakes Pinball New Hire
    - Name the Game
    - Mod of the Week
    - Upcoming Games and Rumors

#1018 5 years ago

Happy TWIP Tuesday Pinheads!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-february-5th-2019/

- Wraith Whitewood Coming
    - Angry Birds
    - Michael Jackson
    - Nightmare Before Christmas
    - Killer Clowns from Outer Space
    - Pinball For Dummies
    - Deadpool Easter Eggs
    - Petition
    - Pinball at the Super Bowl

#1019 5 years ago

February Giveaways Announced - Enter NOW!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/january-giveaway-winners-february-pinball-giveaways-announced-enter-now/

- Pin Stadium FUSION from Pin Stadium
    - Metallic Photo Print from Pinball Photos
    - Gift Card to Comet Pinball
    - Titan Pinball Silicone Ring Kit
    - Gift Card to Hooked on Pinball
    - Gift Card to Mezel Mods
    - Pin Gulp from Pinball Life
    - Autographed Deadpool Translite from Stern Pinball
    - Autographed Dialed In Translite from Jersey Jack Pinball
    - Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Translite from Spooky Pinball LLC
    - Lapel Pin from TWIP

#1020 5 years ago

Hear the latest rumors and speculation by becoming an Insider!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-le-insider-access/

Screen-Shot-2019-02-06-at-7.18.54-PM (resized).pngScreen-Shot-2019-02-06-at-7.18.54-PM (resized).png
    #1021 5 years ago

$20 a month to be fed unsubstantiated rumors? April 1st is over a month away...don't cheapen your brand with this nonsense.

#1022 5 years ago

Or just hang out on Pinside for free?

#1023 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

$20 a month to be fed unsubstantiated rumors? April 1st is over a month away...don't cheapen your brand with this nonsense.

I have to agree that I think this is a mistake and may have repercussions on getting news/tips from trustworthy sources if people know you will be spreading them behind the scenes.

You kept Kingpin a secret while you were working on the article before TPF, but I don't think we'd have given you the scoop on it if something like this was in place back then.

Paul

#1024 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Hear the latest rumors and speculation by becoming an Insider!
    https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-le-insider-access/[quoted image]

Wow......poor form guys

#1025 5 years ago

I am still kind of floored by the size of your balls or championship level stupidity here with the blatant attempt to milk cash out of people by selling unsubstantiated rumors. If you can't sustain TWIP without this "service", you should reconsider your business plan. Who is going to keep sharing information with you, when they know you are going to turn around and make money off their goodwill? It won't take long for someone to set you up as a payback for selling their trust in you. How much thought did you give this before rolling it out? You are being blinded by money, and diving headfirst into the pitfall of trying to turn your hobby into your job.

#1026 5 years ago

I do not and will not share any information without permission from the person that gave me the information. That is how I've run TWIP from day one.

I have two different notebooks for TWIP - one is full of rumors/information/speculation that I can't share because it was told to me in confidence.

The other is full of rumors/information/speculation that I can share. I used to just sit on that info, but some people are very interested in it, just like I am.
    To keep the TWIP website going, I need to get more financial support from the pinball community, and this is one way I am trying to do that.

#1027 5 years ago

You'd be better off just asking for donations than trying to charge $240 a year to hear rumors a hour before they hit pinside.

#1028 5 years ago

I love me some TWIP. Check this thread every Monday and Tuesday morning as I refuse to listen to one of the thousand pinball podcasts that spend an hour to discuss the things I can read here in 5 min. Everything is presented nicely and well organized.

That being said, I wouldn't even spend $0.99/month on something like this. $20/mo is MORE THAN NETFLIX (!!!), and is just for rumors one can read soon enough on this forum anyways.

#1029 5 years ago

i think its the $20 minimum. most patreons ive seen or currently support start at $1 and i typically support at $5.

#1030 5 years ago

Most of the rumors seem to come directly from pinside so paying to be in an insiders club seems a non starter.

#1031 5 years ago

You guys don't understand, it is an LE! Your $20 membership now is bound to increase in value and soon enough you will be available to flip your insider membership for even more money. I pity the fools who don't sign up immediately.

#1032 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

To keep the TWIP website going, I need to get more financial support from the pinball community, and this is one way I am trying to do that.

What is the primary cost of running the TWIP web site? Its basically a blog. You aren't hosting video and audio. So where is the big cash sink that the sponsor ads aren't covering?

#1033 5 years ago

I've been asking for donations/support for a while now, but I found that most people wont give without getting something in return. That is why I set up the TWIPerks a while back - here is the TWIP Patreon page for those unaware: https://www.patreon.com/TWIP/overview

Here is the description and the tiers (copied from Patreon):

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! My name is Jeff and I am editor and creator of This Week in Pinball. First off, thank you so much for reading TWIP, and thank you to all of you who have sent emails and feedback, you all make the site better.

As the site has grown, I am spending 30+ hours a week on it. It doesn’t seem that long (except maybe to my wife…) because I enjoy it.

I started This Week in Pinball because I love pinball. As it started to grow, I knew I’d eventually have to monetize the site to keep it sustainable.

I am humbly asking for you to consider supporting TWIP to help us keep the site running.

-------------

As a monthly supporter of TWIP, you'll receive TWIPerks such as free TWIP swag, early access to exclusive pinball news, automatic entries into each month's giveaway extravaganza, which include everything from free pinball machines, to the coolest mods, to rare and limited items, to gift cards to pinball companies, signed translites, etc., etc. No purchase is necessary for the giveaways.

What are TWIPerks? It is a corny combination of TWIP and Perks. TWIP Perks. TWIPerks. My wife suggested shortening it to TWERKS

I have set up 5 tiers for subscribers:

TWIP Contributor: $1/month TWIPerks
    - Help keep TWIP running
    - Automatic entry to each month's giveaway extravaganza*

TWIP Contributor - PRO: $5/month TWIPerks
    - Help keep TWIP running
    - Pro TWIP swag once a year (ex: keychain for coin doors, stickers, magnets, etc.)

TWIP Contributor - PREMIUM: $10/month TWIPerks
    - Help keep TWIP running
    - Pro TWIP swag once a year (ex: TWIP keychain for coin doors, magnets, etc.)
    - Premium TWIP swag once a year (ex: TWIP t-shirts, apparel, etc.)

TWIP Contributor - LIMITED EDITION: $20/month TWIPerks
    - Help keep TWIP running
    - LE TWIP swag once a year (ex: high quality custom Dri-FIT polo shirt, custom-designed TWIP shirt or apparel, designed by professional artists)
    - Weekly-ish correspondence sharing:
    - Rumors and speculation that is "not fit for TWIP" - meaning we don't have enough confidence in these to report them on the TWIP website
    - Rumors/information/speculation on what we're hearing about possible upcoming titles
    - Rumors/information/speculation on what we're hearing about certain licenses and challenges with those licenses
    - Rumors/information/speculation on what we're hearing about release schedules for different manufacturers
    - Early Access to some articles/interviews that will appear on TWIP
    - Behind the scenes happenings (and sometimes drama) in the pinball world and at TWIP

TWIP Contributor - SUPER LIMITED EDITION: $100/month TWIPerks
    - Help keep TWIP running
    - LE TWIP swag once a year (ex: high quality custom Dri-FIT polo shirt, custom-designed TWIP shirt or apparel, designed by professional artists)
    - Personalized TWIPY Trophy
    - Weekly-ish correspondence sharing:
    - Rumors and speculation that is "not fit for TWIP" - meaning we don't have enough confidence in these to report them on the TWIP website
    - Rumors/information/speculation on what we're hearing about possible upcoming titles
    - Rumors/information/speculation on what we're hearing about certain licenses and challenges with those licenses
    - Rumors/information/speculation on what we're hearing about release schedules for different manufacturers
    - Early Access to some articles/interviews that will appear on TWIP
    - Behind the scenes happenings (and sometimes drama) in the pinball world and at TWIP
    - Occasional private emails sharing EXCLUSIVE information about new/upcoming games and exclusives before it is made public, plus other tidbits. We will ask you to keep this correspondence private.

You must be a supporter for at least three months in a row to be eligible for TWIP swag.

*Giveaways are limited to the United States and excludes FL, NY, RI, and PR. Click here for official rules. No purchase is necessary for the giveaways. You will still receive all other TWIPerks if you are not eligible for the giveaways.

You can also opt out of any of the TWIPerks that do not interest you.

If you are already supporting TWIP via PayPal, you will automatically be entered into the tier based on the monthly support amount you're currently giving.

We very much appreciate your consideration to support TWIP and help keep This Week in Pinball running!

---------------------------------------------

Quoted from JodyG:

What is the primary cost of running the TWIP web site? Its basically a blog. You aren't hosting video and audio. So where is the big cash sink that the sponsor ads aren't covering?

It is the time that is the biggest challenge.

#1034 5 years ago

I want a "$50 a month, and we will violate any NDA you want. Full leaks!"

#1035 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

So are you looking to make enough money that you can afford have more time to work on it? Like quit a day job? It sounded like this was strictly a web site cost issue above.

#1036 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Have you been able to get more volunteers to help you?

If you need a break or need to reduce posting in general, people will understand. Don't stretch yourself too thin or let this project ruin your passion for pinball. This hobby isn't exactly full of new and exciting developments to warrant constant coverage anyways.

Don't make your hobby your job.

#1037 5 years ago

So instead of 6 months of rumors, I can get 7+ months? Sign me up.

#1038 5 years ago
    rethink (resized).jpgrethink (resized).jpg
    #1039 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

So are you looking to make enough money that you can afford have more time to work on it? Like quit a day job? It sounded like this was strictly a web site cost issue above.

Not quit my day job, no. I don't see TWIP ever getting to that point, I don't think that is realistic. Not looking to get rich on this.

There are costs associated with the website, but the biggest challenge has always been the time. I am trying to make enough on it to justify the time it takes. Without getting into too many details, I want to make it "worth it" for the time it takes away from my wife/family, so I talked it over with them and set a goal to get to $X in 2019 to keep TWIP going.

Also, I set up different tiers to try to find different things that would interest different people. I know $20/mo is a lot to ask, but some people are very interested in the rumors/speculation/information (I am one of them), so hopefully this will appeal to some.

#1040 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Not quit my day job, no. I don't see TWIP ever getting to that point, I don't think that is realistic. Not looking to get rich on this.
    There are costs associated with the website, but the biggest challenge has always been the time. I am trying to make enough on it to justify the time it takes. Without getting into too many details, I want to make it "worth it" for the time it takes away from my wife/family, so I talked it over with them and set a goal to get to $X in 2019 to keep TWIP going.
    Also, I set up different tiers to try to find different things that would interest different people. I know $20/mo is a lot to ask, but some people are very interested in the rumors/speculation/information (I am one of them), so hopefully this will appeal to some.

I sorta wanna know the price you put on spending time with your family vs running a website for strangers addicted to pinball...I hope it's a big number.

Get more people to help you

#1041 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Start by calling Stern and see if they will give you a list of the 100 people that paid $25k for a plaque that said "diamond" on it. These are the people who have the kind of money to blow that you are looking for.

Publishing once a week is plenty, with an occasional extra news drop when something big happens. TWIP seems like a solid resource for news, and has held a fairly professional tone since the beginning. In my eyes, this move really pushes your reputation from "solid" to "The National Enquirer" of pinball news. Not a good trajectory for a venture that seems to have a good reputation already.

#1042 5 years ago

Or, maybe you can use these rumors to extort money out of the manufacturers like those mug shot newspapers I have seen out in Indiana. I'm kidding...but that is about the same level of professionalism as I am seeing here.

#1043 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

This hobby isn't exactly full of new and exciting developments to warrant constant coverage anyways.

nice to see at least two of us share this sentiment. pinside already does a great job of keeping people at bay by encouraging the silliness of rumor/speculation/fantasy over truth/facts/reality. we need more hard-hitting, investigative, substantive reporting about what is actually taking place. we dont need more fluff about what may/may not be taking place in the future.

logicburning01.jpglogicburning01.jpg
    #1044 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

I want to make it "worth it" for the time it takes away from my wife/family, so I talked it over with them and set a goal to get to $X in 2019 to keep TWIP going.

Let me know what "X" is worth to your wife. I've put in ~20 hours per week for just about 13 years with IFPA related activities for the grand total of $0.

To be fair . . . I'm pretty sure my wife and kids hate me at this point

#1045 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

But in there you probably need to involve some market research. It seems as if $20/mo has caused a lot of eyebrows raised. Again, that's more than my Netflix or my gym membership. If you need to get $X in 2019, you also need to see what people are willing to pay and then see if the checks and balances works out. You just can't take $X and divide by the # of people you think will pay for an "Insider" service to get your subscription price (because people may not want to pay that price).

If the public isn't willing to pay your price, you get $0. If you only get 2 subscribers, you're far off your target. If you cut a subscription price in half, you need 2x subscribers to break even. Cut that in half, 2x more. This is why research is key to know what people are willing to pay and then how many people you need to make it all work.

Right now, it sounds like the revenue formula will be $20/month x 0 subscribers = $0.00... probably not meeting the target goal.

Also, there's the possibility of someone regurgitating everything he receives as an "Insider" and then the rest of us saying "I'll just wait until @PinsiderXYZ posts it" and you'll never get any additional sub's, regardless of the price.

I wish you all the luck in your endeavour, but question the current means of pursuit. Now cue someone with the Shark Tank "I'm out" or Fonzie on waterskis memes.

#1046 5 years ago

How are you going to know who is leaking "insider" information? All someone has to do is tell someone else who then posts it, and you aren't going to know who you have to throw off the island.

#1047 5 years ago

This is the world we live in nowadays. There's people doing Youtube channels, streaming games they play, having some niche way of getting supporters. Not sure it'll really fly in the pinball world if the people supplying info aren't compensated tho. Guess we'll see.

#1048 5 years ago

TWIPERKS has been around for almost as long as TWIP has. Not sure why this is all suddenly a big deal. Great website by the way, it helps me not have to follow 50 different threads to get this information.

#1049 5 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

To be fair . . . I'm pretty sure my wife and kids hate me at this point

is it only $1

#1050 5 years ago

They add up! Time to buy my wife something nice

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-this-week-in-pinball/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.