Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,600 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 86 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15_G (resized).jpeg
    Alex-PXL_20210816_214617200-2048x1152 (resized).jpg
    safe_image (resized).jpg
    28828191_2130936530468121_5394942295120187397_o (resized).jpg
    Williams Mashup Vol 2 Translite-4 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.21.30 PM (resized).png
    Arcade1Up-Banner-1-e1625015245371 (1) (resized).jpg
    205789224_4224325530961975_2339908732094246552_n (resized).jpg
    200387345_10159716994453627_133682609964272322_n (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.23.51 AM (resized).png
    TWIP6 (resized).jpg
    189032753_10161094107497586_7190923247058081221_n (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinball_mountain_illustration-1536x2048 (resized).jpeg
    Mandalorian-LE-Details-Ambient-22 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 32.
    #901 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

How come this thread isn't updated any more?

They are busy gathering new information.

#902 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads! Expo Recap time!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-expo/

- Oktoberfest Reveal
    - TWIP - Oktoberfest Deep Dive
    - SDTM - Oktoberfest Promo Video
    - Head2Head - Josh Kugler Interview
    - Dead Flip - Oktoberfest Gameplay Reveal
    - Features/Rules/Code/Adult Mode/Shipping Goals
    - Monster Bash Remake Reveal
    - R2D2 Topper
    - Iron Maiden Topper
    - Which is next, Beatles or Munsters?
    - deeproot Seminar
    - Pinball Hall of Fame Inductees
    - Other Expo Highlights
    - Name the Game
    - Mod of the Week
    - Upcoming Games and Rumors

#903 5 years ago

Awesome coverage of Oktoberfest. Nice to have so much all in one place. Thanks!

I didn't see the Multimorphic updates; maybe it's because they were at a different expo this weekend?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-lexy-cabinet-artwork-and-backbox-display

– New cabinet artwork for Lexy Lightspeed – Escape From Earth
    – New cabinet artwork for Cosmic Cart Racing
    – A high-definition backbox display
    – Software updates

#904 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

Awesome coverage of Oktoberfest. Nice to have so much all in one place. Thanks!
    I didn't see the Multimorphic updates; maybe it's because they were at a different expo this weekend?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-lexy-cabinet-artwork-and-backbox-display
    – New cabinet artwork for Lexy Lightspeed – Escape From Earth
    – New cabinet artwork for Cosmic Cart Racing
    – A high-definition backbox display
    – Software updates

I saw that info too late to include this week - it'll be in next week!

#905 5 years ago

HAPPY TWIP Tuesday Pinheads!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/5797-2/

- Scooby Doo License
    - Great Lakes Pinball First Title Announced
    - Head 2 Head Interview with Jean-Paul de Win
    - Crazy Wooden Mechanical Pinball
    - New Code BM66, Deadpool
    - Forbes Article

#906 5 years ago

I'm surprised Spooky didn't go after Scooby Doo.

Are the GLP guys anything to do with GLM?

#907 5 years ago

You missed mentioning GB ColorDMD announcement from what I can tell.

#908 5 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Are the GLP guys anything to do with GLM?

I don’t know the answer to that yet.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You missed mentioning GB ColorDMD announcement from what I can tell.

That was in yesterday’s Expo recap!

#909 5 years ago

I don't think The Pinball Company has a means to create a game outside of Spooky? Though, I'm also unsure Spooky has the capacity to put these games on the line. They have a lot of games to make with ACNC and Scott's #2. I do agree that Scooby Doo seem's like a great theme for Spooky. I think it's a theme that lends itself well to pinball.

#910 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

That was in yesterday’s Expo recap!

That was tough to find. Thanks.

#911 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I don't think The Pinball Company has a means to create a game outside of Spooky? Though, I'm also unsure Spooky has the capacity to put these games on the line. They have a lot of games to make with ACNC and Scott's #2. I do agree that Scooby Doo seem's like a great theme for Spooky. I think it's a theme that lends itself well to pinball.

I would not be surprised of a retheme of Jetsons with new art and animations and different toys.

#912 5 years ago

It will be a shame is Scooby is reduced to a Jetsons type game. Sigh.

#913 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I would not be surprised of a retheme of Jetsons with new art and animations and different toys.

I would. Designing a layout is likely part of the fun for The Pinball Company. I mean, if you had the means of creating a game, wouldn't you want a crack a designing a new layout? With the difficulties with The Jetson's license, I think it's worth asking, does this license include the theme song? Does it include work from voice actors (or likenesses)? I can't imagine a game working without the full team providing commentary.

#914 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I would. Designing a layout is likely part of the fun for The Pinball Company. I mean, if you had the means of creating a game, wouldn't you want a crack a designing a new layout? With the difficulties with The Jetson's license, I think it's worth asking, does this license include the theme song? Does it include work from voice actors (or likenesses)? I can't imagine a game working without the full team providing commentary.

I was simply stating what I think will happen with the game if the Pinball Company contracted the game. I'm not speculating any further on what they should put into it. You can wish all you want.

Obviously from looking at Jetsons, everything about it was to keep the cost low because of only 300 max units that would be made. From what I recall, all 300 were not planned to be built at the same time.

#915 5 years ago

Scooby Doo is old news because the Pinball company got the Hanna Barberra Scooby/Jetsons as a package deal.

If it doesn’t have a couple ramps, and some good mechanical action toys to be worth the asking price I’m out.

#916 5 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Scooby Doo is old news because the Pinball company got the Hanna Barberra Scooby/Jetsons as a package deal.
    If it doesn’t have a couple ramps, and some good mechanical action toys to be worth the asking price I’m out.

Me too. I've been hoping for Scooby Doo for a long time and now I see that it could end up implemented like the Jetsons. That's depressing.

#917 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

It will be a shame is Scooby is reduced to a Jetsons type game. Sigh.

Ouch.

#918 5 years ago

Hopefully there were lessons learned with Jetsons. The Pinball Company designed Jetsons to be low maintenance for the home market buyers. The enthusiasts didn't take to it very well (IMO) because it was too simplistic. When I played it at TPF there were some fun shots, but also some that didn't work very well. I actually liked the plunge/skills shot where you build plunge power and let go to fire with that much power. The art is also killer. One of the best looking games as far as what I was hoping it would look like and what it ended up looking like.

On a recent podcast, Charlie said they ended up only making 100 Jetsons when it was a max of 300. I think if TPC is working on Scooby Doo and are able to make it a little more enthusiast level compared to the basic level I see Jetsons being, it would be a good path to take.

This is not the era I grew up in, but I watched a ton of Jetsons and Scooby Doo on Cartoon Network growing up and now my kids watch those shows on Boomerang. They have a huge appeal, so hopefully any Scooby Doo game does as well.

#919 5 years ago

Correction: apparently Steve Ritchie's birthday is in February, not last week. So happy very very early birthday to Steve Ritchie!

#920 5 years ago

I think the biggest problem with Jetsons was that it LOOKS really empty (and is). The layout, art and big empty backboard area made it look to even the most casual observer or non-pinball-hobbyist that not much was going on. I don't think that was in its favour at all.

A lot of recent Sterns are really lacking in features, but the art and layouts tend to do a good job of making it look like more is happening than there really is. Having a huge empty space behind the Jetsons' ramp made it look more barren than it was. Some side blades would have made it look more attractive too.

#921 5 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

A lot of recent Sterns are really lacking in features, but the art and layouts tend to do a good job of making it look like more is happening than there really is.

Star Wars is really bad, IMO. But it also kills it on location simply due to theme.

#922 5 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I think if TPC is working on Scooby Doo and are able to make it a little more enthusiast level compared to the basic level I see Jetsons being, it would be a good path to take.
    This is not the era I grew up in, but I watched a ton of Jetsons and Scooby Doo on Cartoon Network growing up and now my kids watch those shows on Boomerang. They have a huge appeal, so hopefully any Scooby Doo game does as well.

I grew up watching Scooby Doo and my kids (8 & 13) love watching it. We have the collectors set (van) and a number of other videos too.

If this gets made, I will be in for one if it's taken past where the Jetson's ended up.

#923 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-4/

- The Beatles Reveal
    - Physical Differences between Seawitch and Beatles
    - Pricing Rumors
    - Beatles License Details from Other Manufacturers
    - Stern Machines to go Online in 2019
    - Elvira 3 Rumors
    - Multimorphic P3 Updates
    - Name the Game
    - Mod of the Week

#924 5 years ago

Oh boy I can listen during my drive to work. Thanks for the timely info JPatty.

#925 5 years ago

pin2d - are you saying the licensor for the Beatles indicated the song clips are approximately 15 seconds per song?

If this is true, what a hunk of garbage? These songs are all pretty much under 2:30 seconds to begin with.

#926 5 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

are you saying the licensor for the Beatles indicated the song clips are approximately 15 seconds per song?

One of the manufacturers we talked to shared that when they were discussing the license, it only included 15 seconds clips and that the full songs were either not available or very expensive. Keep in mind, this could be a different deal than Stern got with the license. We have heard rumors (RUMORS) that Stern got more time per song (up to a minute?) but not the full song, but we don't have any confirmation on that yet.

#927 5 years ago

If is play like seawitch nobody will play a ball for a minute anyway

#928 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

One of the manufacturers we talked to shared that when they were discussing the license, it only included 15 seconds clips and that the full songs were either not available or very expensive. Keep in mind, this could be a different deal than Stern got with the license. We have heard rumors (RUMORS) that Stern got more time per song (up to a minute?) but not the full song, but we don't have any confirmation on that yet.

OMG, 1 min (or 15 sec) per song is ridiculous for a music based pin. This is a major scoop and we will find out the details soon, but at least we know the issue. Maybe if you have a ten min ball, you will hear them all. Do you know which / how many songs beyond these five are confirmed?

53C9BBB9-DA69-432F-8842-1D28ED9EEA2D (resized).png53C9BBB9-DA69-432F-8842-1D28ED9EEA2D (resized).png

#929 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Maybe if you have a ten min ball,

Have you played Seawitch before? I doubt there will be many 10 min ball times, if any.

#930 5 years ago

Here is a full list of the songs

45011699_2082365655160042_5912094715703984128_n (resized).jpg45011699_2082365655160042_5912094715703984128_n (resized).jpg
    #931 5 years ago

Happy Halloween Pinheads! If you haven't seen this before, you should check out the story behind the Bram Stoker's Dracula built into a coffin!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/happy-halloween-pinheads-custom-bram-stokers-dracula-in-a-coffin/

#932 5 years ago

The Details of SPIKE

- by Dennis Kriesel

Check out this VERY informative article from Dennis Kriesel of the Eclectic Gamers Podcast!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/dennis-kriesel-the-details-of-spike/

#933 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

The Details of SPIKE
    - by Dennis Kriesel
    Check out this VERY informative article from Dennis Kriesel of the Eclectic Gamers Podcast!
    https://thisweekinpinball.com/dennis-kriesel-the-details-of-spike/

Should also be noted that Gomez promised at last year's Expo that Spike 1 & 2 schematics, diagrams and documentation would be released soon. Still nothing on that front. They surely have it all, since they must use it internally.

Also, for those curious, the SoC for Spike 2 costs about $23 in large bulk. It's highly unlikely the rest of the board and stuff on it costs more than an an additional $50-60 (likely less). So that's a mark up of well over 10x on new MPU boards. Mark up on the node boards is likely even higher.

#934 5 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Should also be noted that Gomez promised at last year's Expo that Spike 1 & 2 schematics, diagrams and documentation would be released soon. Still nothing on that front. They surely have it all, since they must use it internally.
    Also, for those curious, the SoC for Spike 2 costs about $23 in large bulk. It's highly unlikely the rest of the board and stuff on it costs more than an an additional $50-60. So that's a mark up of well over 10x on new MPU boards. Mark up on the node boards is likely even higher.

He told me the same thing at Pintastic earlier this year when I asked him. Disappointed there is still nothing.

#935 5 years ago

At the moment the benefits of Spike are not with the consumer.

Hard or impossible to repair.

No schematics.

Super expensive to replace.

And many boards are just not available with the main retailers.

#936 5 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Also, for those curious, the SoC for Spike 2 costs about $23 in large bulk. It's highly unlikely the rest of the board and stuff on it costs more than an an additional $50-60 (likely less). So that's a mark up of well over 10x on new MPU boards. Mark up on the node boards is likely even higher.

printing that stuff is hard. just ask joe from paperflock
    maybe that's the reason for the delay. stern is having paperflock print up the documentation for spike 1 and 2

#937 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

printing that stuff is hard. just ask joe from paperflock
    maybe that's the reason for the delay. stern is having paperflock print up the documentation for spike 1 and 2

Their intern just found a cdr with 325 GB of new data on it. You bet it's hard!

#938 5 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

You can't determine the mark up unless you know the total costs. $23 a board in bulk doesn't take into consideration the considerable costs of R&D.

#939 5 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

You can't determine the mark up unless you know the total costs. $23 a board in bulk doesn't take into consideration the considerable costs of R&D.

Don't think you read it properly. That is not what I said.

Also, what R&D are you talking about? The design is almost off the shelf. The board layout is pretty much generic, and all the components are generic.

#940 5 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Don't think you read it properly. That is not what I said.
    Also, what R&D are you talking about? The design is almost off the shelf. The board layout is pretty much generic, and all the components are generic.

Perhaps I did, without I doubt I likely read into what you posted more than I should have... I was left with the impression that you think the cost of the boards is the cost of the physical parts to make them, I further read into your thoughts that you may think 10x the cost of the parts may be on the high side as far as mark up is concerned.

I was suggesting that the research and development to design a "pinball electronics system" stretches beyond the cost of what some of the physical components used to execute such a system are and without knowing the total costs (Meaning salaries of the people who designed it and the infrastructure to support them) I don't think it is 'fair' to imply that a 10x mark up on the physical costs of the components is too much, but, I am the one that implied you were suggesting 10x was too much so is on me. I may have also missed your point entirely!

#941 5 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Perhaps I did, without I doubt I likely read into what you posted more than I should have... I was left with the impression that you think the cost of the boards is the cost of the physical parts to make them, I further read into your thoughts that you may think 10x the cost of the parts may be on the high side as far as mark up is concerned.
    I was suggesting that the research and development to design a "pinball electronics system" stretches beyond the cost of what some of the physical components used to execute such a system are and without knowing the total costs (Meaning salaries of the people who designed it and the infrastructure to support them) I don't think it is 'fair' to imply that a 10x mark up on the physical costs of the components is too much, but, I am the one that implied you were suggesting 10x was too much so is on me. I may have also missed your point entirely!

I'd be amazed if their node system cost much to develop.

Certainly nothing that could justify anything close to the price of either them or the MPU, given how poor their longevity appears to be, and how difficult they are to repair.

Updating their software for the new platform is where the man hours were likely spent. But even then, this is not rocket science. PROC and FAST turn out much more robust systems (minus the brain) that are repairable for more reasonable prices.

#942 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-5/

- More Details on the Beatles
    - Beatles Song Length Info
    - Beatles Coin Door Situation
    - Orin Day on Slam Tilt Podcast
    - American Pinball Updates
    - Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure Pinball: Real or Fake?
    - Monster Bash Remake Overview and Review on SDTM
    - Joe Kaminkow Interview on Head2Head
    - Name the Game
    - Mod of the Week

#943 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Joe Kaminkow told TWIP the following: Depending on customers requirement some will have coin doors some won’t. An example, a family entertainment may want a coin door, or a blank for home collectors. The coin door has a beautiful decal.

Hmmm. I wonder how much the lack of coin door will depress the resale value of those particular machines? Why in the world is that even an option?

#944 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Hmmm. I wonder how much the lack of coin door will depress the resale value of those particular machines? Why in the world is that even an option?

Licensors insisted upon it. This isn't unique; we went after the Angry Birds license early on at Heighway, but one of the conditions was that such a game couldn't be put in locations that weren't family friendly, and we couldn't guarantee that. The only way you could would be to ensure it was home use only, hence no coin door. I'm sure the Harry Potter license would require the same stipulation.

#945 5 years ago

Happy TWIP Tuesday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-5/

- New Code – Dialed In, Hobbit, and Batman ’66
    - Everything you want to know about the Spike System
    - Congrats to Dead Flip (2 MILLION VIEWS!)
    - Congrats to Buffalo Pinball (150 BRO EPISODES!)
    - Horrorhouse Fest Pinball Tournament of Death
    - TWIP Podcast: Thoughts on Stern going Online
    - Gameroom Junkies Podcast Retires
    - Discussion of Sexism in Pinball
    - Pinball Profile Interview with This Week in Pinball
    - 24 Hour Sanctum Winner
    - Pinball On an Oil Rig
    - Stern Halloween Costume
    - Victory Laps

#946 5 years ago

It is that time again - where YOU can enter to win cool monthly prizes!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/giveaways/

It is also the time where I humbly ask for your support to help keep TWIP running. With ANY monthly support, you'll be automatically entered each month for the giveaways below. Plus we've got tiers where you can get other cool perks! Check out our Patreon Page here:

https://www.patreon.com/TWIP

Thank you for your consideration!

Giveaways for November!!

- Orion's Belt
    - Pin Stadium Lights
    - Museum Grade Canvas from Pinball Photos
    - $50 Gift Card to Comet Pinball
    - Titan Pinball Universal Silicone Ring Kit in Your Choice of Color
    - $20 Gift Card to Mezel Mods
    - Pin Gulp
    - Deadpool Translite autographed by George Gomez
    - Dialed In! Translite autographed by Jack Guarnieri
    - Shirt from Spooky Pinball
    - This Week in Pinball Lapel Pin

#947 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-6/

- Beatles Diamond Edition: Most Expensive New Pin Ever
    - Are they Selling?
    - Code and Coin Door
    - RUMOR: New Release from Stern Before Year End
    - Joe Balcer Interview on Pinball Profile
    - Cosmic Carnival from Suncoast Pinball
    - RUMORS: Jersey Jack Pinball Future Titles
    - Name the Game
    - Mod of the Week

#948 5 years ago

“All models come with a standard coindoor. All models ship with 1.01 code and all models are shaker motor ready.”

Yipes. $25k and they don't even include a $150 shaker motor?

#949 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

“All models come with a standard coindoor. All models ship with 1.01 code and all models are shaker motor ready.”
    Yipes. $25k and they don't even include a $150 shaker motor?

Did you get a shaker quote? Diamond Jims may be asked to pony up $500, for all we know. But the platinum and diamonds pinballs should have come with a shaker installed.

#950 5 years ago

Happy TWIP Tuesday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-toy-hall-of-fame-book-deal-drama-zombie-yeti-tease-mark-tremonti-joni-mitchell-more/

- Pinball Inducted into the Toy Hall of Fame
    - Todd Tuckey Book Deal Drama
    - Zombie Yeti Teaser
    - Dutch Pinball Open
    - Mark Tremonti Joins Pinball Profile
    - IFPA Partners with Pin Stadium
    - Joni Mitchell — Poet, Painter, Pinball Wizard
    - The Pinball Club
    - Victory Laps

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-this-week-in-pinball/page/19?hl=bestbrad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.