Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,600 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 86 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15_G (resized).jpeg
    Alex-PXL_20210816_214617200-2048x1152 (resized).jpg
    safe_image (resized).jpg
    28828191_2130936530468121_5394942295120187397_o (resized).jpg
    Williams Mashup Vol 2 Translite-4 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.21.30 PM (resized).png
    Arcade1Up-Banner-1-e1625015245371 (1) (resized).jpg
    205789224_4224325530961975_2339908732094246552_n (resized).jpg
    200387345_10159716994453627_133682609964272322_n (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.23.51 AM (resized).png
    TWIP6 (resized).jpg
    189032753_10161094107497586_7190923247058081221_n (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinball_mountain_illustration-1536x2048 (resized).jpeg
    Mandalorian-LE-Details-Ambient-22 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 32.
    #851 5 years ago

"Sure it'd be easier to grab an off the shelf solution for our boards, and it'd certainly be easier to build a plain old cabinet, but that's just not what we're about."

This should end well.

#852 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL Tuesday Edition

Happy Tuesday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-deadpool-updates-thrilla-in-sternilla-crocodile-hunter-pin-dr-phil-is-a-pinhead-more/

- Deadpool Limited Editions on the Line at Stern
    - Deadpool – Bro, Do You Even Pinball?
    - Deadpool Review – SDTM
    - Thrilla in Sternilla
    - What Happened to the Crocodile Hunter Pin
    - United Flipper Workers
    - Pinball Photos Exhibit
    - Enter September Giveaways!
    - Dr. Phil is a Pinhead
    - Robin Williams Owned a Hook Pinball Machine
    - Someone Rethemed an Iron Maiden Take 2
    - Shoutout of the Week
    - Pinside Thread of the Week
    - Victory Laps

#853 5 years ago

The only Dr. Phil that I care about is the one currently ranked 99th. https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=16540

http://www.phillipgrimaldi.com/

#854 5 years ago

He may be a pinhead, but he's no doctor.

#855 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL
    Happy Monday Pinheads!!
    https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-the-rumor-mill-eric-meunier-interview-oktoberfest-updates-two-new-pinball-companies-more/
    - The Rumor Mill
    - Monster Bash Remake Rumor
    - Spooky Stranger Things Rumor
    - Jaws by Brian Eddy Rumor
    - Eric Meunier Interview on Special When Lit
    - Oktoberfest Update
    - Two New Pinball Companies
    - Suncoast Pinball: Cosmic Carnival
    - Great Lakes Pinball
    - Dead Flip to Stream Zen Studios
    - Pinball is a Finalist for the Toy Hall of Fame - NEED YOUR VOTE!
    - Name the Game
    - Mod of the Week
    - Upcoming Games and Rumors

More pinball manufacturers, huh?

Not going to be pretty when the next economic downturn or recession hits.

#857 5 years ago

Is it weird that I'm reading the entire article as if Dennis himself were dictating it to me?

#858 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Is it weird that I'm reading the entire article as if Dennis himself were dictating it to me?

Sort of. Imagine a better voice instead. Christopher Lee is a good pick!

#859 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

Nah, we've been getting a lot of good podcast content with you hopping around everywhere. Keep talkin' pinball!

#860 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

Maybe a Zach Market Trends narration would be good to use.

#861 5 years ago

"Market Trends" should spin off into it's own podcast. It's just that good.

#862 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Maybe a Zach Market Trends narration would be good to use.

You know it's the background music that makes Market Trends so awesome.

Plus you'll have to do the next episode in ALL of your accents. Ahhhnold always has me dying!

#863 5 years ago
    Quoted from beeker3000:

Hear that Jeff? Market Trends is about to pull a Frasier on you.

Quoted from FatPanda:

You know it's the background music that makes Market Trends so awesome.
    Plus you'll have to do the next episode in ALL of your accents. Ahhhnold always has me dying!

How about an entire Market Trends featuring Ahhnold speaking about the ups and downs of Arnold-based pins? (LAH, Batman Forever, T2, T3) haha

#864 5 years ago
    Quoted from beeker3000:

I thought Head2Head was taking it over. @falconpunch and @martymainframe can add it, and @zmeny compete against it. Like Coca-Cola Classic versus New Coke (I'll leave it to everyone to decide which one gets labeled New Coke).

Quoted from FatPanda:

Nah, we've been getting a lot of good podcast content with you hopping around everywhere. Keep talkin' pinball!

I think I've probably been on a bit too much. Not bad to dial things back. But EGP does have a new episode planned this Sunday so that's a given regardless.

Could use the time to focus on a different writing style. Interesting criticism this go-around, wanting more drama or focus on the experimenting of boards. Good ideas, though not a narrative strong-suit for me. I'm less of a written drama guy and more of a here's-data-organized-in-a-clear-way guy. Or neither, I might just be terrible. Regardless, more focus is a good thing!

Quoted from ZMeny:

How about an entire Market Trends featuring Ahhnold speaking about the ups and downs of Arnold-based pins? (LAH, Batman Forever, T2, T3) haha

#865 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Market Trends is about to pull a Frasier on you.

"Joanie Loves Chachi" is probably a better comparison.

#866 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-scott-danesi-interview-danesi-game-2-teaser-zen-studios-announcements-haggis-pinball-more/

- Scott Danesi Interview with Special When Lit
    - Scott Danesi Game #2 Teaser
    - Zen Studios Announcements
    - Haggis Pinball
    - Countdown to Pinball Expo
    - Pinball Brothers Update/Speculation
    - Poll of the Week
    - Name the Game
    - Mod of the Week

#867 5 years ago

IMG_0306 (resized).jpgIMG_0306 (resized).jpg
    scott danesi game no. 2 teaser

obviously "mickey mouse house party!"

#868 5 years ago

Top 10 Favorite Pinball Machines and Dream Themes based on Age and How Long You’ve Been in the Hobby

https://thisweekinpinball.com/top-10-favorite-pinball-machines-based-on-how-long-youve-been-in-the-hobby/

#869 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Top 10 Favorite Pinball Machines and Dream Themes based on Age and How Long You’ve Been in the Hobby
    https://thisweekinpinball.com/top-10-favorite-pinball-machines-based-on-how-long-youve-been-in-the-hobby/

Great Marketing research for Stern.

#870 5 years ago

Ah yes, Addam's Family.

#871 5 years ago

JJP POTC is a top 10 of the 35 and under crowd even though they don't really exist yet. Jeez. what a joke.

#872 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

How many voters total?

#873 5 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

How many voters total?

Imnsio not many.(in my not so Informed opinion )

I must be from a different planet and maybe even a different species cuz each top 10 bracket makes me kringe. Sure I like a couple of pins in each list but for the most part none of the lists represent my taste in pinball.
    If only I had voted.....

#874 5 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

How many voters total?

It was around 400. So not a huge sample size and definitely not a perfect poll. I think the one that surprised me the most was that MM wasn't on the top 10 of the 46 and older crowd.

#875 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

JJP POTC is a top 10 of the 35 and under crowd even though they don't really exist yet. Jeez. what a joke.

I’ve played it quite a bit and it doesn’t even make my top 100.

What really shocked me is the best pin ever made (The Walking Dead) didn’t make anyone’s list. Have people not played it?

#876 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I’ve played it quite a bit and it doesn’t even make my top 100.
    What really shocked me is the best pin ever made (The Walking Dead) didn’t make anyone’s list. Have people not played it?

Maybe they are like me and have played it on location where it is half broken or set-up incorrectly. There's brutal, and then there's unfair.

#877 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-where-is-monster-bash-jjp-updates-rumors-stern-announces-vr-pinball-deeproot-tour-more/

- Where is Monster Bash Remake?
    - Jersey Jack Updates and Rumors
    - Stern Virtual Reality Pinball
    - What it Stern's Next Release?
    - deeproot Tour
    - Poll of the Week
    - Name the Game
    - Mod of the Week

#878 5 years ago

Tends to hint that, as many suspected, there will be no new title at Expo from JJP, given the delay in getting PotC to market and potential unreadiness of a new one.

Question is ... when will it be announced? Maybe they go to CES, or maybe they wait for TPF, hopefully with release shortly thereafter?

If they're actively working on the development of 5 titles, as Jack seems to suggest, then they can't possibly be sticking to the 1 release per year forever. That would be an insanely long (& costly) development cycle, with 5 in the pipeline.

Yellow Brick Road (& possible WOZ code update) and DI code update have to be the Expo assumption. I'll be most curious to see how the YBR edition shakes out, since there are quite a few rumours about what it will and won't include (mech removals for example).

#879 5 years ago

So #WOZ is Jack's favorite game. Great, it's actually mine too !

#880 5 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

If they're actively working on the development of 5 titles, as Jack seems to suggest, then they can't possibly be sticking to the 1 release per year forever. That would be an insanely long (& costly) development cycle, with 5 in the pipeline.

The quote from TWIP is, "We are working on five different model games now..."
    That doesn't have to mean five games not yet announced. It could easily mean they are still building the four in production ( Wizard of Oz The Hobbit Dialed In Pirates of the Caribbean ) and also working on one that isn't yet announced.

#881 5 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Tends to hint that, as many suspected, there will be no new title at Expo from JJP, given the delay in getting PotC to market and potential unreadiness of a new one.
    Question is ... when will it be announced? Maybe they go to CES, or maybe they wait for TPF, hopefully with release shortly thereafter?
    Yellow Brick Road (& possible WOZ code update) and DI code update have to be the Expo assumption. I'll be most curious to see how the YBR edition shakes out, since there are quite a few rumours about what it will and won't include (mech removals for example).

I think they will announce - but if not then iAAPA isn't far away.

#882 5 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

I don't think JJP has to use a show at all for a reveal. If anything, revealing it outside of a show might actually help a lot better since the focus would be on a real reveal video (polished up), marketing materials, etc.

#883 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The quote from TWIP is, "We are working on five different model games now..."
    That doesn't have to mean five games not yet announced. It could easily mean they are still building the four in production ( Wizard of Oz The Hobbit Dialed In Pirates of the Caribbean (Standard) ) and also working on one that isn't yet announced.

According to Jack, at DI unveiling, Pat already had both of his next games shootable, and we obviously know Eric was working on PotC. We now know Eric's been working on his second since earlier in the year. That makes at least 3 unannounced games being worked on, and I'd expect preliminary work to be being done on at least one more. So I don't think your explanation really makes sense.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I think they will announce - but if not then iAAPA isn't far away.

Had forgotten about that. But does that really give PotC enough breathing room? Guess it's a question of how much they value its sales over the schedule of their future line up. Personally, I'd like to see them announce at Expo or later this year. It would demonstrate confidence in their existing product, and the future of the business.

Quoted from frolic:

I don't think JJP has to use a show at all for a reveal. If anything, revealing it outside of a show might actually help a lot better since the focus would be on a real reveal video (polished up), marketing materials, etc.

The PotC reveal was excellent ... unlike DI. Problem was the delay.

#884 5 years ago

Here is my free JJP non-show announce schedule:

Day 1: Jack tweets "WE'RE READY AND YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE IT!! See you at jerseyjackpinball.com in 7 days"

Day 2 to 7.... obscure tweets that Pinside obsesses over.

Day 7: Countdown clock, Sizzle video, flyers, professional photos, ordering opens up.

Day 8: 3 hour Buffalo Pinball stream.

After... bring games to whatever shows are on the schedule at that point.

#885 5 years ago

lol, just realized this is sort of Stern's M.O. at the moment, but swap Buffalo Pinball for Jack Danger.

Obviously if it works for Stern it will work for JJP. No Expo required.

#886 5 years ago

Nice reply from Jack there.

#887 5 years ago

TWIP Tuesday - Happy Tuesday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-2/

- Deadpool Premiums on the Line
    - Batman '66 New Code
    - Pirates of the Caribbean New Code
    - IFPA Updates
    - Lord of the Rings Review
    - Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Powder Coat
    - Airplane! Home-brew Pinball Machine
    - Stern Kickball Art
    - A Seal Slaps a Kayaker in the Face with an Octopus
    - Pinside Thread of the Week
    - Victory Laps

#888 5 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

I have posted this since last Expo & TPF and was told I had no clue what I was talking about.

#889 5 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Had forgotten about that. But does that really give PotC enough breathing room? Guess it's a question of how much they value its sales over the schedule of their future line up. Personally, I'd like to see them announce at Expo or later this year. It would demonstrate confidence in their existing product, and the future of the business.

And repeat the POTC... and hobbit delay failures? AND undercut their own new 'must have' title at the same time?

That seems like putting a gun in their own mouth.

JJP can't build in volume still. They basically trickle out one game at a time. Promising a future title won't drive sales NOW, only hurt them. Everyone knows they can design a game... no one needs to be reassured about that. It's a question of SUSTAINING - and the best way they can do that is by showing strong sales and VOLUME. Promising futures that undercut yourself is the opposite of what they need.

#890 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

And repeat the POTC... and hobbit delay failures? AND undercut their own new 'must have' title at the same time?
    That seems like putting a gun in their own mouth.
    JJP can't build in volume still. They basically trickle out one game at a time. Promising a future title won't drive sales NOW, only hurt them. Everyone knows they can design a game... no one needs to be reassured about that. It's a question of SUSTAINING - and the best way they can do that is by showing strong sales and VOLUME. Promising futures that undercut yourself is the opposite of what they need.

Showing strong and consistent profitability is what matters the most, especially when it comes to having a sustainable business. Volume isn't necessarily relevant, even more in the pinball industry where scalability has some limits and high structural costs can quickly turn into a major nightmare.

#891 5 years ago

No buzz on the deeproot article yet? Thanks for posting it Jeff! deeproot seems to be taking things seriously based on what you've written. Looking forward to see what they are planning at TPF.

#892 5 years ago

Yep. Was posted about 2 hours ago. https://thisweekinpinball.com/deeproot-tour/

#893 5 years ago

bleh, will see when they actually have something to show off and play.

#894 5 years ago

I expect the line "TEASER: The license is an 80s movie many people have been craving!" will get the rumour mill churning

#895 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I expect the line "TEASER: The license is an 80s movie many people have been craving!" will get the rumour mill churning

Crave - Name of a diner/restaurant from a 80's movie.

#896 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

If it’s what I think it is I am in!

#897 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

If it’s what I think it is I am in!

That’s the power of licenses. New company that has never shown anything and never produced anything and has no customers can still hype up something with just a mention.

#898 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

We already have a new speculation thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-to-the-future-pinball-by-deeproot

1 week later
    #899 5 years ago

How come this thread isn't updated any more?

#900 5 years ago

Jack Danger's layout needs a bit of a think. My immediate thought was, those pops are going to wreck any ball guides they're placed that close to, if not possibly scuff the ball and damage the playfield. Not sure either about a pop with that close line of fire to an exposed upper flipper bat. Rails between the pops and guides would work, but also nerf the amount of pop activity in the game.

My suggestion would be: try and place the lower two pops far enough from the shot walls to be able to put rubbered posts in between, and create chamber areas between the pops and rubbers for maximum pop activity. The upper one, I'd turn into a passive bumper and then see if there was a way to squeeze an additional pop into the game.

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-this-week-in-pinball/page/18?hl=zmeny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.