Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,600 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 86 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15_G (resized).jpeg
    Alex-PXL_20210816_214617200-2048x1152 (resized).jpg
    safe_image (resized).jpg
    28828191_2130936530468121_5394942295120187397_o (resized).jpg
    Williams Mashup Vol 2 Translite-4 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.21.30 PM (resized).png
    Arcade1Up-Banner-1-e1625015245371 (1) (resized).jpg
    205789224_4224325530961975_2339908732094246552_n (resized).jpg
    200387345_10159716994453627_133682609964272322_n (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.23.51 AM (resized).png
    TWIP6 (resized).jpg
    189032753_10161094107497586_7190923247058081221_n (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinball_mountain_illustration-1536x2048 (resized).jpeg
    Mandalorian-LE-Details-Ambient-22 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 32.
    #751 5 years ago

So, like what is the long list of licenses Stern has "stolen" and sat on from the competition guaranteeing no pinball will ever exist? It's not like the competition even have a big list of titles.

JJP:

WOZ - As Jack tells the story, he wanted this
    Hobbit - we know Jack really wanted this as his answer to LOTR and got it
    Pirates - Stern already did it before, didn't stop JJP from getting it
    Rumored:
    Toy Story - obviously this is a AAA license

Heighway:
    Alien - from reports, Stern also wanted it, Heighway got it... are we better for that having happened?

Spooky:
    Rob Zombie - they wanted him, they got him
    Alice Cooper - they wanted him, they got him
    Jetsons - subcontract job but license was still acquired.
    Godzilla - doh! But remains to be seen if Stern will release one.

Dutch Pinball:
    Lebowski - as the story goes, Gary had no interest even though people asked him for this game. Didn't stop DP from getting it.

#752 5 years ago

I just hope Stern really makes Godzilla, I'll get that NIB. If Spooky was making it I'd probably hold off.

#753 5 years ago
    Quoted from ezelljon:

Refusing to play or buy Stern doesn't mean refusing to play or buy pinball. It is pretty sad that a person on a pinball forum who is supposed to love pinball will settle for mediocrity over and over again.
    Also, I fixed some of your grammar and made some general notes on your writing in the blockquote above. It seems, like the company you are so quick to defend, you released your comment before a full version of the code was finished. The hatred that some of you randomly conjure for correct use of the English language is really silly.

Well since you decided to follow back up. Stern has made some of the best games ever made. No game is for everyone but they have several incredible games. Anyone that plays them and denies that, I would say doesn't like pinball. Sure you may like 1980's games better or EM's but there is no way you cannot find some joy in playing some of the stern games if you actually like pinball. When typing on a phone grammar is not the easiest but I'm also not the best at it either, so feel free to internet shame people about it if it gets you through your day. Editing peoples quotes is also a pinside rules violation so you might want to consider that while grammar shaming folks.

#754 5 years ago

I was in a crappy mood this morning and I am generally not a fan of Stern, and I regret expressing it in the way that I did because I think it took away from legitimate complaints. I am not a fan of 95 percent of their work since they became a de facto monopoly. That is a subjective matter, you're right.

In fact, I have you to thank for introducing me to a lot of the (IMO, superior) games of the past at your arcades, and I think what you're doing to preserve pinball and arcade culture is really awesome. I do think some of Stern's games are great, some are fine, but most are not for me.

Less subjectively, I think they have some QC issues and business practices that are underhanded and in bad faith, and I feel that voting with one's dollars (or quarters) is the best way to correct this problem.

As for pinside forum rules, yeah, well, oops.

#755 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Well since you decided to follow back up. Stern has made some of the best games ever made. No game is for everyone but they have several incredible games. Anyone that plays them and denies that, I would say doesn't like pinball. Sure you may like 1980's games better or EM's but there is no way you cannot find some joy in playing some of the stern games if you actually like pinball. When typing on a phone grammar is not the easiest but I'm also not the best at it either, so feel free to internet shame people about it if it gets you through your day. Editing peoples quotes is also a pinside rules violation so you might want to consider that while grammar shaming folks.

Tron. I need one.

#756 5 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I just hope Stern really makes Godzilla, I'll get that NIB. If Spooky was making it I'd probably hold off.

Me as well. Would look good sitting next the Sega version.

#757 5 years ago
    Quoted from ezelljon:

I was in a crappy mood this morning and I am generally not a fan of Stern, and I regret expressing it in the way that I did because I think it took away from legitimate complaints. I am not a fan of 95 percent of their work since they became a de facto monopoly. That is a subjective matter, you're right.
    In fact, I have you to thank for introducing me to a lot of the (IMO, superior) games of the past at your arcades, and I think what you're doing to preserve pinball and arcade culture is really awesome. I do think some of Stern's games are great, some are fine, but most are not for me.
    Less subjectively, I think they have some QC issues and business practices that are underhanded and in bad faith, and I feel that voting with one's dollars (or quarters) is the best way to correct this problem.
    As for pinside forum rules, yeah, well, oops.

No worries on my side, I have pretty thick skin and it's pretty easy to let pinside get to you. I believe you are thinking of jwilson with the arcades though. Good dude, owns all of the game galaxy locations.

I agree 100%, you don't like the company they don't give them your money. It wouldn't stop me from dropping a quarter in one though, that's what keeps the route owner going and different games coming in. Nothing wrong with checking out the newest stern to see if the QC problems are improving.

#758 5 years ago
    Quoted from ezelljon:

Oh cool! At best, Stern makes another crappy game from a great license. At worst, they just bought it to screw Spooky. I’ve gone from “I’m never buying a Stern” to “I’m not even going to play them on location.”

Save the virtue signaling for Facebook, dude.

P.s. Stern makes kick ass pins.

#759 5 years ago

I'm getting my TN pinheads confused ... or who knows, maybe I snuck in your house and played all yr stuff ....

#760 5 years ago

Johnny Socko would be perfect for Spooky.
    Gamera would also be great.
    Ultraman would be great as well.

#761 5 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

GOTG is a pretty awesome machine now. Out of the gate it was a disappointment when it came to code, but as of 1.02 it is well worth playing. Not to mention you can get a Pro for under 6k...
    I don't know if Stern is actually going to do a Godzilla pin, but if they do I have a hard time believing it is going to be bad.

Does any of the code fix the fact that Groot sucks balls? Figuratively and literally.

#762 5 years ago

Make a licensed "Creature that ate Sheboygan" pinball! https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1783/creature-ate-sheboygan

#763 5 years ago

If Spooky got the Godzilla license, they would have made and awesome Godzilla I’d want to buy.

But..

If I didn’t wake up the day they announced it and read pinside, I’m waiting a year to get it?

The waiting list is a year for TNA, a year for Alice Cooper.

Super sweet pins. But damn - in some ways I hope they don’t get a dream theme because I don’t want to wait a year to get it.

#764 5 years ago

It sucks for Spooky as it’s their dream theme, but there are a lot of themes Spooky could do something amazing with.

Who else is going to have the balls to produce full on horror themed games other than Spooky? Stern are targeting the mass/nostalgia markets.

I want to see stuff like Halloween, Friday the 13th, SAW, I’d even take a Scream themed game get all the horror classics made and I’ll buy one of each!

#765 5 years ago

Hmm...maybe Phantasm

#766 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-monster-bash-confirmed-pinburgh-interviews-with-robert-mueller-and-ben-heck-godzilla-toho-vs-warner-bros/

- Monster Bash Confirmed
    - Pinburgh Winner
    - Interview with deeproot Pinball's Robert Mueller
    - Interview with Ben Heck
    - Jersey Jack Pinball Production Starts
    - Godzilla: TOHO vs. Warner Bros/Legendary
    - Multimorphic, Inc's Gerry Stellenberg joins Buffalo Pinball
    - Spooky Pinball LLC Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Stream tonight with Dead Flip : Pinball Streaming
    - Name the Game
    - Shoutout of the Week
    - Upcoming Games and Rumors

#767 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL (Tuesday Edition)

Happy Tuesday pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/interview-with-josh-sharpe-dutch-pinball-code-updates-one-of-a-kind-twilight-zone/

- Josh Sharpe Interview
    - Dutch Pinball Newsletter
    - Happy 100th Birthday Wayne Neyens
    - The Mafia Public Reveal Announced
    - Code Code Code
    - Expo Seminar
    - Last Chance to Sign up for July Giveaway Extravaganza
    - Poll of the Week
    - Black and White Twilight Zone
    - Pinball Beers
    - Pinside Thread of the Week
    - Victory Laps

#768 5 years ago

July Giveaway Winners Announced!
    August Giveaways Announced!

Huge THANK YOU to readers and monthly supporters of TWIP!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/july-giveaway-winners-and-august-giveaway-extravaganza-also-please-support-twip/

canvas2.pngcanvas2.png
    #769 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN Pinball

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-deadpool-confirmed-spooky-talks-godzilla-and-stern-pinball-hall-of-fame-moving-more/

- Stern Confirms Deadpool Pinball
    - Spooky Pinball talks Godzilla License, Stern
    - Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Stream
    - Pinball Hall of Fame to open on Las Vegas Strip
    - Homepin Thunderbirds Thank You and Updates
    - Dennis Nordman Interview on H2H Pinball
    - New Pinball Podcast - What Could Have Pin...
    - Name the Game
    - Mod of the Week
    - Shoutout of the Week

#771 5 years ago

thanks for the Spooky transcript.

I found this quote interesting from Charlie:

The market is too small. The customers are all the same.

When I consider that with Spooky selling 1000 machines... well, if the customer are the same, and everyone is fishing in the same pond, then who lost the most to those 1000 sales?

Yup, Stern. It's just business. Small fish or not, there's a fight going on in the pond.

That whole bit of busting into a meeting that's going on isn't a good look, however.

#772 5 years ago

You guys can move Deadpool to Stern's Announced/Confirmed section.

#773 5 years ago
    Quoted from speederice:

You guys can move Deadpool to Stern's Announced/Confirmed section.

Oh yeah, good point!! We’ll switch it next week

#774 5 years ago

BEST podcast yet guys. Can we keep him on the podcast? Really enjoyed the frank discussion. And agreed with a lot of the insight and logic in the discussion. And the chemistry was spot on. I liked the Zach wasn't as goofy.

#775 5 years ago

"Charlie: I won’t talk about the one guy at Stern that I do not get along with. Who did a very – what’s the word I’m looking for – douchy thing at the Licensing Expo by breaking into a meeting I was in the middle of, to introduce himself to the licensor that we were in a meeting with. And say [whispers] “hey, I’ll call you next week”. That is not cool. Maybe that is how that one particular guy out of a lot of people over there that we’re friends with, “just does business”. But it is not how Spooky Pinball does business."

---

If that's an accurate reflection of what happened, that's appalling behaviour. Guess it's pretty obvious who he's suggesting it was.

#776 5 years ago

Does it really need to be Godzilla specifically though? The kaiju concept is pretty universal by now, why not make an unlicensed game with a sense of humour in the vein of Attack From Mars?

#777 5 years ago

I’m sick of Godzillagate. Who gives a shit?

#778 5 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I’m sick of Godzillagate. Who gives a shit?

No kidding, go secure Braveheart, Breaking Bad and Dexter, I'll buy all 3 gladly and all 3 could be made into kick ass pins with the full use of the license.

#779 5 years ago
    Quoted from OnTheSnap:

BEST podcast yet guys. Can we keep him on the podcast? Really enjoyed the frank discussion. And agreed with a lot of the insight and logic in the discussion. And the chemistry was spot on. I liked the Zach wasn't as goofy.

He has a name, it is Dennis! and he has his own podcast you can hear him every 2 weeks

https://soundcloud.com/user-465086826

#780 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

He has a name, it is Dennis!

name (resized).pngname (resized).png
    #782 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-deadpool-pinball-revealed-gomez-interview-dennis-nordman-interview-expo-schedule-more/

- Deadpool Pinball Revealed
    - George Gomez Interview on Coast2Coast
    - Dennis Nordman Interview with Head2Head
    - Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Stream
    - Expo Schedule Announced
    - Buffalo Pinball Summer Open
    - July Name the Game Winner of TWIP Lapel Pin
    - Name the Game
    - Mod of the Week
    - Shoutout of the Week

38672568_10156710394514244_773221974456401920_o (resized).jpg38672568_10156710394514244_773221974456401920_o (resized).jpg
    #783 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL (Tuesday Edition)

Happy Tuesday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/thunderbirds-shipping-jjp-production-stern-of-the-union-stern-trolls-deeproot-more/

- Thunderbirds are Shipping
    - JJP Pirates Production Info
    - Stern of the Union
    - Stern Kinda Sorta Trolls deeproot
    - Poll of the Week
    - Coffee House Pinball Location
    - Jon Norris Tap Passing
    - Victory Laps

#784 5 years ago

Around the Playfield with Tanio Klyce, the lead software person on Deadpool!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/around-the-playfield-with-tanio-klyce/

#785 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-deadpool-stream-zombie-yeti-interview-medieval-madness-xl-display-jjpotc-ships-new-guns-n-roses-machine-in-the-works/

- Deadpool Pinball Gameplay
    - Zombie Yeti Interview
    - Medieval Madness Remake - New Display Option?
    - JJP Pirates of the Caribbean Now Shipping
    - Is there a new Guns N' Roses Machine in the Works?
    - Poll of the Week: What is your favorite Callout in Pinball?
    - Name the Game
    - Mod of the Week
    - Shoutout of the Week

#786 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL Tuesday Edition

Happy Tuesday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-deadpool-topper-sterns-global-ambassador-homepin-drama-prime-minister-of-italy-plays-ghostbusters-more/

- Deadpool Topper?
    - Stern's Global Ambassador
    - Homepin Drama Continues
    - UK Pinfest
    - Canadian National Exhibition Pinball Championships
    - Buffalo Pinball Summer Open
    - Breaking Bad Pinball Machine
    - Deputy Prime Minister of Italy Plays Pinball
    - Victory Laps

#787 5 years ago

Deadpool topper needs to include this, and move.

4B5147F3-ED3C-4F36-807E-C195DFC9CB67 (resized).jpeg4B5147F3-ED3C-4F36-807E-C195DFC9CB67 (resized).jpeg
    #788 5 years ago

DEEP DIVE into Stern Pinball's latest creation, DEADPOOL!

In-Depth Overview of the Machine and the Code and Rules.

https://thisweekinpinball.com/deadpool-deep-dive-in-depth-overview-code-rules-and-pictures/

#789 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

DEEP DIVE into Stern Pinball's latest creation, DEADPOOL!
    In-Depth Overview of the Machine and the Code and Rules.
    https://thisweekinpinball.com/deadpool-deep-dive-in-depth-overview-code-rules-and-pictures/

Rules look interesting. Can't wait to find one to play.

#790 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tanio-interview-paul-faris-joins-deeproot-artist-for-elvira-3-eddie-munster-to-tpf-more/

- Deadpool Shipping
    - Tanio Klyce Interview
    - Paul Faris Joins deeproot Pinball
    - Greg Freres is the Artist for Elvira 3
    - Eddie Munster Coming to the Texas Pinball Festival
    - Last Chance to Enter August Giveaways
    - Name the Game
    - Mod of the Week
    - Shoutout of the Week

#791 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL Tuesday Edition

Happy Tuesday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-the-mafia-gameplay-monster-bash-testing-kingpin-update-star-wars-topper-rumors-more/

- Munsters Artwork Leaks on Pinside
    - The Mafia from Team Pinball – Unboxing and Debut at UK Pinfest
    - Monster Bash Testing
    - Kingpin Update
    - Star Wars Topper Sorta Update
    - Jack Danger talks about Reveal Streams
    - Last Chance to Enter August Giveaways!
    - Make Your Own Pinball Machine?
    - Doctor Pinball Machine Maker
    - Mark Ritchie Sighting
    - Victory Laps

#792 5 years ago

I actually have that game. Haven't opened it yet though. Bought all the box games and micro games that were out when I was a kid that I didn't get to play. Something for retirement I guess... the cover art was amazing on those things.

#794 5 years ago

Beginner's Guide to Pinball Designers!!

Incredible Guest Post Written by Dennis Kriesel

https://thisweekinpinball.com/guest-post-a-beginners-guide-to-pinball-designers/

#795 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Beginner's Guide to Pinball Designers!!
    Incredible Guest Post Written by Dennis Kriesel
    https://thisweekinpinball.com/guest-post-a-beginners-guide-to-pinball-designers/

Maybe reclassify guide from Beginner to Intermediate. You inspired me to look around and I found this cool article about Wayne Neyens. He never got a real job. http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Meet-the-true-pinball-wizard-in-Mountain-Home-Ark--491594061.html
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#796 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Maybe reclassify guide from Beginner to Intermediate. You inspired me to look around and I found this cool article about Wayne Neyens. He never got a real job.

Maybe, but the style evaluations are cursory and there were a lot more names that could be included, especially if you wanted to focus even earlier on the industry.

Neyens has led an interesting life. Have you owned any of his games? I had a woodrail of his; it had a fun middle-pop that got a lot of play. Never really owned anything else like it.

#797 5 years ago

Neyens' designs, especially the Double Award games from '54, show how much thought he put into entertainment value for the player. Several goals to work toward as you climb the ladder to special, and each -just- out of reach. A true master of design.

#798 5 years ago

I've played a few of Wayne Neyens games but they didn't leave an impression. I am impressed by how many games he designed - 180 electromechanical's. I think that is the record. With the lack of big name titles, I've always thought his games couldn't be that good or would pretty much the same. His talent was the thinking outside the box and his lasting legacy was inventing parts and mechanisms, which found their way into his games. The man must have been a genius.

#799 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

His talent was the thinking outside the box and his lasting legacy was inventing parts and mechanisms, which found their way into his games. The man must have been a genius.

Interesting in that he is still alive. The last of the great EM designers to my knowledge. He just turned 100. I believe Pinball Magazine's latest issue, going to print now, features an interview with him of significant length.

#800 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!! (And happy Labor Day to our US readers!)

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-deadpool-premium-le-stream-spooky-talks-godzilla-stern-tna-steve-ritchie-interview-george-gomez-interview-more/

- Steve Ritchie Interview with Special When Lit Pinball Podcast
    - George Gomez Interview with Head2Head Pinball
    - Deadpool Updates from Stern Pinball
    - Spooky Pinball LLC Podcast talks Godzilla, Stern, TNA
    - Pinball Media Releases
    - Thunderbirds Game Play
    - Cayle George Talks Exploits on Pinball Profile
    - Buffalo Pinball - Bro is Back
    - New Code on Batman '66
    - Vancouver FlipOut Pinball Expo next weekend
    - Total Nuclear Annihilation Review - Straight Down The Middle: a pinball show
    - Dutch Pinball Update
    - August Winners and September Giveaways
    - A Crummy Commercial
    - Intensity and Dirty Harry
    - Unboxing a Deadpool: Speed Run!
    - Wreck 'N Ball Pin Sells
    - Name the Game
    - Mod of the Week
    - Shoutout of the Week
    - Victory Laps

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-this-week-in-pinball/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.