Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,600 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 86 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15_G (resized).jpeg
    Alex-PXL_20210816_214617200-2048x1152 (resized).jpg
    safe_image (resized).jpg
    28828191_2130936530468121_5394942295120187397_o (resized).jpg
    Williams Mashup Vol 2 Translite-4 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.21.30 PM (resized).png
    Arcade1Up-Banner-1-e1625015245371 (1) (resized).jpg
    205789224_4224325530961975_2339908732094246552_n (resized).jpg
    200387345_10159716994453627_133682609964272322_n (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.23.51 AM (resized).png
    TWIP6 (resized).jpg
    189032753_10161094107497586_7190923247058081221_n (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinball_mountain_illustration-1536x2048 (resized).jpeg
    Mandalorian-LE-Details-Ambient-22 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 32.
    #701 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

And starring the girl from Stranger Things - gonna be a blockbuster!

Godzilla versus 11.

#702 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I never met him or heard of him.

Hey, I don't need help staying humble! (I think... LOL!!!!)

Favorite... quote... ever!

#703 5 years ago

LOL to Charlie’s quote

Rampage the pinball machine ?

It’s got a big lizard and a movie.

#704 5 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

LOL to Charlie’s quote

...and THE ROCK.

#705 5 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

LOL to Charlie’s quote

I'd be all over that if it was arcade based instead of movie based. I loved that game as a kid. I even somewhat enjoyed the movie even though it was cringe worthy at best.

#706 5 years ago

If Godzilla is off the table why not Gamera?

#707 5 years ago

Or Gojira.

#708 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If Heighway could get Alien anybody can get anything.

I seem to recall a certain someone not obtaining a certain license... Predator anyone?

#709 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

I seem to recall a certain someone not obtaining a certain license... Predator anyone?

I'm guessing he never even tried.

#710 5 years ago

Pacific Rim might be available

#711 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm guessing he never even tried.

He kind of tried. He called the 800 number on the back of his DVD case, if I remember the story correctly.

#712 5 years ago
    Quoted from Anonymouse:

If Godzilla is off the table why not Gamera?

Of the Kaiju beasts, Godzilla and King Kong have major name recognition. Gamera or Gojira are probably not recognizable by 90% of the population.

#713 5 years ago

There are ways Spooky can work around this

3254BF64-2BFF-40C8-84B5-A1BD3BF89AAC (resized).jpeg3254BF64-2BFF-40C8-84B5-A1BD3BF89AAC (resized).jpeg
    #714 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Pacific Rim might be available

Pacific Rim > Godzilla IMHO

#715 5 years ago

I love Charlie and Spooky, but I'm gonna suggest that the answer is to not use a license at all, not pick a different one that's not what you really wanted.

If you want to make a giant monsters pin then make your own, and live free of restrictions!

#716 5 years ago
    Quoted from dri:

Pacific Rim > Godzilla IMHO

I thought I was the only one who likes Pacific Rim...

#717 5 years ago

I like Pacific Rim quite a bit. But I don’t want a pin themed in the movies. I’d take Zombie Yeti art on general Jaeger vs Kaiju theme all day, though.

#718 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Stern did retro first - Whoa Nellie. Stern did Godzilla first.

Doh. Myth busted.

#719 5 years ago

Hey Spooky, make something "spooky".

ACNC is coming my way sometime this year.

Resident Evil, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Saw, Exorcist, Halloween.......

Just about anything is better than Godzilla. You didn't miss out on that crapper anyhow!

#720 5 years ago

Gamera can sell 500.

#721 5 years ago

I think Spooky would be better off with Scioby Doo.

#722 5 years ago

Driving...can someone link the Lyman Sheets podcast interview they mentioned during point four? It was on another podcast and I didn’t catch it. Thanks.

#723 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Driving...can someone link the Lyman Sheets podcast interview they mentioned during point four? It was on another podcast and I didn’t catch it. Thanks.

http://www.slamtiltpodcast.com/2018/07/18/episode-100-lyman-laments/

#725 5 years ago

This could be cool

#726 5 years ago

Spooky should do Johnny Socko and the giant robot or Spsce Giants.

#727 5 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

Rampage the pinball machine

I would be committed to a Rampage pinball from SpookyCharlie
    -Mike

#728 5 years ago

what I took away from this morning's email update about pinburgh

miley cyrus will be there asking people "what's up?"
    giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#729 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

what I took away from this morning's email update about pinburgh
    miley cyrus will be there asking people "what's up?"

Yeah, I think that is the corniest gif in the history of pinball!

Pinburgh 2018 Preview: https://thisweekinpinball.com/pinburgh/

#730 5 years ago

I'd like to see Spooky make a run at the Goonies license, I think they can blow that one out of the box if they got it.

#731 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Yeah, I think that is the corniest gif in the history of pinball!
    Pinburgh 2018 Preview: https://thisweekinpinball.com/pinburgh/

Best gif.

#732 5 years ago

SpookyCharlie sign me up for a super duper LE

#733 5 years ago

Quick question, (sorry, not completely familiar with theme licensing stuff) wouldn't stern already have the license due to the fact that SEGA did? Obviously Stern "bought" SEGA Pinball, so do the licenses just go to Stern?

#734 5 years ago

People forget that at one time Gary Stern and his old man were the "little guy". The reason so few classic Stern Electronics games exist (with a couple exceptions) is not because people didn't like them, but Bally cock blocked them every chance they got. Bally wouldn't give operators deals if they bought Stern machines. Talk about screwing someone over! Gary Stern fought back eventually forming Data East, which was seen as a second class producer. Despite this, they found a way to acquire great licenses and grow. Data East becomes Sega and Sega becomes Stern. Gary went from second class citizen to top of the pinball heap with hard work and I'm sure a little ruthlessness. He took his lumps and i'm sure Charlie Emery will come back stronger with every minor setback he experiences as long as he perseveres and thinks outside the box.

#735 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Quick question, (sorry, not completely familiar with theme licensing stuff) wouldn't stern already have the license due to the fact that SEGA did? Obviously Stern "bought" SEGA Pinball, so do the licenses just go to Stern?

Licenses are only granted for a certain period of time--Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1-5 years; about 3 years seems to be the norm for most licenses in the pinball world, unless they are renewed.

It's been 20 years since Sega Godzilla was released.

There are also sometimes terms in the license contract about not allowing the license to be transferred to another company, but that depends on the licensor.

#736 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Licenses are only granted for a certain period of time--Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1-5 years; about 3 years seems to be the norm for most licenses in the pinball world, unless they are renewed.
    It's been 20 years since Sega Godzilla was released

That is what I thought. Thanks.

#737 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I'm not though. I'm pissed. I don't want Stern's 9k disappointment-in-a-box that was Guardians of the Galaxy, and TBF, successes like Iron Maiden are few and far between. Godzilla is a license that needs and DESERVES a fanatic's touch, not the strictly licensed and sanitized garbage that Stern's mostly been pumping out. Ugh. That's even before you consider the business tactics at play here.
    Thanks for killing the dream, Stern. I won't be suckered into your overpriced LE's by a good theme any more than I will 8.5k em-wannabe games, or JJP's ever-shifting-price-point monstrosities.

Look at what Stern did to Transformers! And they said they were fans...

#738 5 years ago
    Quoted from metahugh:

Look at what Stern did to Transformers! And they said they were fans...

They ruined the LEs by blocking the flow of play. I love the first Hollywood TF movie which the machine is primarily based on and I think Stern did a decent job on the Pro. If they just could address some of the shortcomings in the rules....

#739 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

People forget that at one time Gary Stern and his old man were the "little guy". The reason so few classic Stern Electronics games exist (with a couple exceptions) is not because people didn't like them, but Bally cock blocked them every chance they got. Bally wouldn't give operators deals if they bought Stern machines. Talk about screwing someone over! Gary Stern fought back eventually forming Data East, which was seen as a second class producer. Despite this, they found a way to acquire great licenses and grow. Data East becomes Sega and Sega becomes Stern. Gary went from second class citizen to top of the pinball heap with hard work and I'm sure a little ruthlessness. He took his lumps and i'm sure Charlie Emery will come back stronger with every minor setback he experiences as long as he perseveres and thinks outside the box.

Thanks for this account. I'm betting this will be a better synopsis of the evolution of Stern than that in the 30 (35?) Years of Stern pinball book, if it ever prints.

#740 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

- Stern Nabs Godzilla Theme from Spooky

MgtuAZQ.gifMgtuAZQ.gif
    #741 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Stern has a known history of buying licenses just to stop others from making them.
    This was a dick move, plain and simple.

Please list the licenses that Stern has “snatched” away from other manufacturers that they never produced.

#742 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Please list the licenses that Stern has “snatched” away from other manufacturers that they never produced.

My Little Pony.

Getting ridiculous now. Constant teasing, and nothing. I’m sure JJP has been after this for a long time. If they don’t come through soon I’m out!

#743 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I thought I was the only one who likes Pacific Rim...

For the down-voters, please watch the movie (there is only ONE movie) and please tell me how a linked Pacific Rim mode wouldn't beat TNA coop- and NBA FB link modes by a light year?

I'm listening...

#744 5 years ago
    Quoted from dri:

For the down-voters, please watch the movie (there is only ONE movie) and please tell me how a linked Pacific Rim mode wouldn't beat TNA coop- and NBA FB link modes by a light year?
    I'm listening...

There are 2 movies

#745 5 years ago

Oh cool! At best, Stern makes another crappy game from a great license. At worst, they just bought it to screw Spooky. I’ve gone from “I’m never buying a Stern” to “I’m not even going to play them on location.”

#746 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Stern is the egg-sucking weasel that outlived the dinosaurs. They have evolved into larger weasels.

#747 5 years ago
    Quoted from ezelljon:

Oh cool! At best, Stern makes another crappy game from a great license. At worst, they just bought it to screw Spooky. I’ve gone from “I’m never buying a Stern” to “I’m not even going to play them on location.”

Quoted from ezelljon:

Stern is the egg-sucking weasel that outlived the dinosaurs. They have evolved into larger weasels.

Your loss, pretty sad that people are on a pinball forum that are supposed to love pinball but refuse to play pinball. The hatred that some of you randomly conjure for pinball manufacturers is really silly.

#748 5 years ago
    Quoted from ezelljon:

Wtf?

Stern is pretty awesome in my book. Making some great games and have a lot of wonderful people working there.

#749 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

[That's] your loss. [It's] pretty sad that people are on a pinball forum that [is "that" modifying the pinball forum or the people you're referring to? please clarify] are supposed to love pinball but refuse to play pinball. The hatred that some of you [be more specific, you're addressing one person rather than a group of people] randomly conjure for pinball manufacturers is really silly.

Refusing to play or buy Stern doesn't mean refusing to play or buy pinball. It is pretty sad that a person on a pinball forum who is supposed to love pinball will settle for mediocrity over and over again.

Also, I fixed some of your grammar and made some general notes on your writing in the blockquote above. It seems, like the company you are so quick to defend, you released your comment before a full version of the code was finished. The hatred that some of you randomly conjure for correct use of the English language is really silly.

#750 5 years ago

That’s the most jackass post I think i’ve ever seen on this forum. Congrats!

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-this-week-in-pinball/page/15?hl=aukraut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.