Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,600 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 86 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15_G (resized).jpeg
    Alex-PXL_20210816_214617200-2048x1152 (resized).jpg
    safe_image (resized).jpg
    28828191_2130936530468121_5394942295120187397_o (resized).jpg
    Williams Mashup Vol 2 Translite-4 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.21.30 PM (resized).png
    Arcade1Up-Banner-1-e1625015245371 (1) (resized).jpg
    205789224_4224325530961975_2339908732094246552_n (resized).jpg
    200387345_10159716994453627_133682609964272322_n (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.23.51 AM (resized).png
    TWIP6 (resized).jpg
    189032753_10161094107497586_7190923247058081221_n (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinball_mountain_illustration-1536x2048 (resized).jpeg
    Mandalorian-LE-Details-Ambient-22 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 32.
    #551 5 years ago
    Quoted from tiesmasc:

$1 Million license...
    Sell 1000 games...
    Basically paying $1000 a game for the license...
    So at a minimum all the prices will have at least $1000 added to them... and probably more like $1500 to $2000 so they can get the profit...
    And then if they can sell > 1000 games they keep amping up the profit while not lowering price (even though their cost of goods drops considerably just due to licensing and volume).
    Ouch. But good business I guess. Just hope it doesn't use custom node boards...

Not exclusive enough.... I'll say Stern/Kapow announce 300 Beatles LE's @ $15k and 75 SLE's @$25k. Further guesses 1) all production will be farmed out to CGC 2) the full run will be built and packed in boxes by time of reveal in Fall and 3) this is why CGC remake #3 has been delayed.

#552 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sorry, you'll get the 1965 version... and like it!

Not so fast O-din.. My inside source at Stern is telling me that it’s not the Turtles it’s the Rutles..
    525CA9C1-1DCA-4133-ADA4-B0E4FC54CCCE (resized).jpeg525CA9C1-1DCA-4133-ADA4-B0E4FC54CCCE (resized).jpeg8D24533A-3BD6-4DB9-8B22-BB565AD27D30 (resized).jpeg8D24533A-3BD6-4DB9-8B22-BB565AD27D30 (resized).jpeg

#553 5 years ago

Beatles = Elvis=Rolling Stones. All huge iconic artists. 2 of those 3 are already Stern games. It's widely agreed both those games already suck. Why would Beatles be any different?

#554 5 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Why would Beatles be any different?

Because Stern is on a roll. More recently they have made some great Music pins. AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Maiden.

LTG : )

#555 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Because Stern is on a roll. More recently they have made some great Music pins. AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Maiden.

But there are also plenty of recent mediocre Stern games. Just being Beatles is no guarantee. Star Wars?

#556 5 years ago

It will have to be great as they have already injected millions into this title.

I don't mind the Beatles, but no matter how limited and how good the pinball is it won't get my coin.

If the Beatles are a flop ( which I doubt ) but possible ? Stern better up the ante on the next new titles.

Lucky they can fall back on Maiden sales to keep the dollars coming in. (won't last forever though )
    If there are no production issues the IMDN market will probably be saturated by mid 2019.

Stern will need Dead pool and Munster's to be kick ass moving forward to maintain adequate turnover for the business to continue to flourish.
    The outgoings now must be enormous !

Keep up the good work Stern, Just keep moving forward with innovation, and please put a greater focus on QC

#557 5 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

It will have to be great as they have already injected millions into this title.

Millions in licence means millions less for the game itself - Star Wars?

#558 5 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Just being Beatles is no guarantee. Star Wars?

Star Wars isn't a music pin.

#559 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

OK...Kiss?

#560 5 years ago

You don't like KISS ?

#561 5 years ago

Huge Beatles fan, so is the boss as well as our adult kids. However, I admit that I struggle with the adaptation to pinball. Compare that to the Munsters...I can come up with a half-dozen applications of the show to pinball immediately off the top of my head. My guess (and biggest concern) is that the Beatles will require some unique, creative, out-of-box thinking to really optimize the theme.

#562 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

yeah, stern messed up big time by not including this one

#563 5 years ago

Another musical theme pin..again...all sound programmers were busy?
    I don’t care about the Beatles, not my generation. Good news for sexagenarian pinheads

#564 5 years ago

Seems like this license would be even more expensive and restrictive than Star Wars. Considering what was in that game, is Beatles going to be a plank of wood with a ball rolling between nails?

#565 5 years ago

I'm grateful every time a pinball theme is announced that I know I have no interest in. Then there is no debate about whether I'll be a buyer. Makes my life simpler. There will always be another new game around the corner to consider.

That is my personal choice, but I'd never want to stop a Beatles fan from getting a pin made if that is their wish.

#566 5 years ago
    Quoted from tiesmasc:

$1 Million license...
    Sell 1000 games...
    Basically paying $1000 a game for the license...
    So at a minimum all the prices will have at least $1000 added to them... and probably more like $1500 to $2000 so they can get the profit...
    And then if they can sell > 1000 games they keep amping up the profit while not lowering price (even though their cost of goods drops considerably just due to licensing and volume).
    Ouch. But good business I guess. Just hope it doesn't use custom node boards...

I am curious about the Beatles license. I wonder if this whole "trying to get the license for years" story has something to do with the rights to the songs. McCartney only regained those rights last year. Up until then, they were controlled by Sony/ATV. This might have made acquiring the license difficult; assuming using the Beatles likeness and their music would have meant dealing with two different rights holders.

Will be interesting to see how the limited release thing plays out. With a million bucks to recoup, I can't imagine this being a reasonably priced pin.

#567 5 years ago

People wondering if The Beatles is a sufficiently relevant license should consider this thread's post count since yesterday... for all the alleged disdain, there's apparently a lot of interest either way.

I didn't know much about Iron Maiden the band, but I love playing the pin. I'm not at all excited about Beatles as a license, but if it's fun to play, it won't matter.

Personally I have never understood the appeal of "music pins" as a genre. I love a lot of the songs and bands that are featured but the problem is I prefer to hear those songs uninterrupted, and completely through; in a pinball you have callouts, mechs, modes and drains disrupting the music flow so what's the point? I agree the "performance / concert" aspects are energetic and tie in well, especially with visual properties like Maiden... but for me personally, the experience of hearing and "getting into the music" via pinball sucks. For some reason original / unlicensed pin music doesn't bother me as much. Maybe because most of that type is vague and instrumental, so callouts and interruptions aren't as jarring (maybe my filthy casual familiarity with Maiden helped in that regard too)...

#568 5 years ago
    Quoted from jazzmaster:

I am curious about the Beatles license. I wonder if this whole "trying to get the license for years" story has something to do with the rights to the songs.

I heard that they are going to do a reveal with fully licensed songs and then switch to "chip music" versions right before the launch

#569 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I heard that they are going to do a reveal with fully licensed songs and then switch to "chip music" versions right before the launch

"Prototype shown. Music subject to change."

#570 5 years ago

I’m one that is excited for a Beatles theme, hopefully it’s more than a jukebox and shoots well too!

I find this more exciting than Munsters, Deadpool, Willy Wonka, Ninja Turtles and most of the other crap being floated out there. Even find it more exciting than the JJp potc I have ordered. Now I’m hoping it’s delayed until Beatles is released, if it’s good I’m switching.

The great thing with this hobby is that there is more than just the theme and something that appeals to just about everyone.

#571 5 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

Huge Beatles fan, so is the boss as well as our adult kids. However, I admit that I struggle with the adaptation to pinball. Compare that to the Munsters...I can come up with a half-dozen applications of the show to pinball immediately off the top of my head. My guess (and biggest concern) is that the Beatles will require some unique, creative, out-of-box thinking to really optimize the theme.

I have to politely disagree. There are actually some really easy choices there, set by previous precedent.

1. Go the #SWT route. Take the Beatles movies (Hard Days Night, Help!, and Yellow Submarine), and use each as a mode/sequence of goals working towards a wizard mode.

2. Go the Sargent Pepper's route (80s movie w/BeeGees). Craft a narrative from a selection of songs. This seems to be what Cirque du Soliel did for their Vegas show - Love.

3. Go the Rock Band route. Base the gameplay around major events (concerts/albums releases) from the Beatles career.

4. Create a mode per band member. Many examples to cite, but #GotG comes to mind here.

5. Go the Jukebox route, where modes are built around songs/albums. I'm most familiar with this from #ACDC, but there are probably many I'm not aware of.

Personally, I would like to see something of a mashup between 1, 2, & 5. Break the songs up into 4-6 narrative arcs as modes, with goals in each mode based on songs from that narrative.

#572 5 years ago
    Quoted from sandro:

I have to politely disagree. There are actually some really easy choices there, set by previous precedent.
    1. Go the #SWT route. Take the Beatles movies (Hard Days Night, Help!, and Yellow Submarine), and use each as a mode/sequence of goals working towards a wizard mode.
    2. Go the Sargent Pepper's route (80s movie w/BeeGees). Craft a narrative from a selection of songs. This seems to be what Cirque du Soliel did for their Vegas show - Love.
    3. Go the Rock Band route. Base the gameplay around major events (concerts/albums releases) from the Beatles career.
    4. Create a mode per band member. Many examples to cite, but #GotG comes to mind here.
    5. Go the Jukebox route, where modes are built around songs/albums. I'm most familiar with this from #ACDC, but there are probably many I'm not aware of.
    Personally, I would like to see something of a mashup between 1, 2, & 5. Break the songs up into 4-6 narrative arcs as modes, with goals in each mode based on songs from that narrative.

Some really good ideas there.

I remember earlier this year when this license was rumored to have been acquired it was said the machine would cover the entire catalogue and not just the yellow submarine movie/songs. This is a good move in my opinion as their catalogue is so deep.

The comments of the Beatles not resonating in a pinball machine is quite comical. That’s on the game designers, if it’s a flop and doesn’t connect with the theme then I would have to say these guys didn’t have a very creative mind.
    These guys covered it all, pop, rock and roll, the goofy psychedelic era , crazy art etc... plenty to work with.

#573 5 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

I’m one that is excited for a Beatles theme, hopefully it’s more than a jukebox and shoots well too!
    I find this more exciting than Munsters, Deadpool, Willy Wonka, Ninja Turtles and most of the other crap being floated out there. Even find it more exciting than the JJp potc I have ordered. Now I’m hoping it’s delayed until Beatles is released, if it’s good I’m switching.
    The great thing with this hobby is that there is more than just the theme and something that appeals to just about everyone.

1989 tmnt crap? Surely you can't be serious. Maybe too old to remember I'm guessing?

#574 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

1989 tmnt crap? Surely you can't be serious. Maybe too old to remember I'm guessing?

I’m 41 so I remember and wasn’t into them. No different than the guys saying the Beatles are crap, just one persons opinion.

#575 5 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

I’m 41 so I remember and wasn’t into them. No different than the guys saying the Beatles are crap, just one persons opinion.

You totally missed an opportunity to make an Airplane joke!

#576 5 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

I find this more exciting than ...Ninja Turtles and most of the other crap...

Quoted from delt31:

1989 tmnt crap? Surely you can't be serious.

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

You totally missed an opportunity to make an Airplane joke!

S/he is serious. And don't call him/her Shirley.

#577 5 years ago

Limited is so stupid. Now having limited editions and a standard makes sense. Pricing is way too high already and I doubt 10k plus games will sell. Would think the BM66 model and pricing is at the ceiling and anymore the market will not support.

#578 5 years ago

Never mind the Beatles I’m super excited for new code on my mbr!

#579 5 years ago

So reading behind the lines of Joe Kaminkow’s interview, sounds like this might be a simple retro type of game. Single level late EM/early 80’s style? Would fit the theme. Anyone else get that impression?

#580 5 years ago

Notice how every new game we do not know about yet is touted at revolutionizing the industry? I'm hearing it here, Deeproot, and some new/unknown/unannounced manufacturer mentioned on a certain podcast. We could potentially have 3 new gold standards for pinball in a matter of months! (or more hot air)

#581 5 years ago

Which revolution are we talking about?

#582 5 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

Which revolution are we talking about?

Of hot air...

...and this one of course:

#583 5 years ago

Which will come first, finished code or all the beatles die?

#584 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

Which will come first, finished code or all the beatles die?

How many remain? Last time I saw them in concert was 1969. I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

IMG_2493.GIFIMG_2493.GIF

PS - don't put ketchup on your beatles, Zach might try to eat em.

#585 5 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:So reading behind the lines of Joe Kaminkow’s interview, sounds like this might be a simple retro type of game. Single level late EM/early 80’s style? Would fit the theme. Anyone else get that impression?

I get the same impression and that's what I'm really afraid of. Only Stern could screw this up by getting a great license and then making it a retro game.

#586 5 years ago

How about this. Stern one ups jjp and makes a 4 spinning disc! One for each of the Beatles. O

#587 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ramjet:

I get the same impression and that's what I'm really afraid of. Only Stern could screw this up by getting a great license and then making it a retro game.

That could be a nightmare, and a real shame considering how often the Beatles embraced technology and pushed limits in their music production. Frankly, having spent a ton on the license, Kapow should go all out. Even so far as to strike up a deal to use the visuals and tech from Beatles: Rockband in the pin. Some of it is very cool, especially the main intro:

And album intros:

But even the gameplay footage is cool, mirroring the music with computer generated band visuals:

According to Wikipedia, "The Beatles: Rock Band was used as a finale for each performance of the 125th anniversary season of the Boston Pops Orchestra; the orchestra leads the audience in a sing-along to several songs by the Beatles played by the orchestra but synchronized to the visuals from the game."

#588 5 years ago

Can't wait to see what Franchi, Borg and Dwight do with the Munsters

#589 5 years ago

Will be interesting to see what Kaminkow Kapow and Stern will do with license.

JJP was interested, but at an opening of $1M before royalties and only could get Yellow Submarine and could only produce a set number of like 1968 units the year the movie was released. IIRC.... its been talked sbout through the part expos and known about for some time.

So it makes sense that Joe said it's a "one and done" license.

#590 5 years ago

An informative and digestible article on A Beginner's Guide to Manufacturers, written by Dennis Kriesel of the Eclectic Gamers Podcast. One of my favorite articles ever on TWIP, really well written!! I learned a ton. Check it out!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/4551-2/

#591 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I like the Beatles music.
    Hey, I like Frank Sinatra too.
    So when do you suppose we will be seeing that "Old Blue Eyes" pinball game?

Mr. KaPow did a Sinatra slot machine at IGT aboot ten years ago so don't rule it out.

#592 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Mr. KaPow did a Sinatra slot machine at IGT aboot ten years ago so don't rule it out.

61dOfh+IBqL (resized).jpg61dOfh+IBqL (resized).jpg
    #593 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Apparently it was not successful. Interesting article.

https://www.cdcgamingreports.com/why-some-slot-machine-themes-just-dont-work/

#594 5 years ago

THIS WEEK IN PINBALL

Happy Monday Pinheads!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-spooky-pinball-no-godzilla-license-franchi-on-munsters-and-or-beatles-pinburgh-stream-when-will-we-see-deadpool-more/

- Spooky Pinball - No Godzilla License (for now)
    - Christopher Franchi Working with John Borg and Dwight Sullivan on...
    - Franchi Slated for Four More Games - Beatles Included?
    - Pinburgh Banks Revealed Live
    - Dutch Pinball Mess
    - When Will We See the Rumored Deadpool Machine?
    - Aurich Reveals Original Alien LE Artwork
    - Skill Shot Pincast Interviews Keith Elwin
    - Hobbit Code Status and Hidden Feature
    - Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Stream Coming Soon
    - First TWIP LE Early Access Emails Sent
    - June Winner of Name the Game
    - Custom Messages in Attract Mode for Houdini
    - This or That - SDTM: a Pinball Show
    - New Charity Similar to Project Pinball
    - Cosmic Cart Racing Reveal - Stream Coming Soon
    - Poll of the Week
    - Name the Game
    - Tom Savini is a Pinhead
    - Scoregasm Master Pinball Machines
    - The Big Lebowski Sold for $21k
    - Pinside Thread of the Week
    - Shoutout of the Week
    - Victory Laps

JPEG300_medium (resized).jpgJPEG300_medium (resized).jpg
    #595 5 years ago

Come on Spooky bring me some Sons Of Anarchy pinball!

#596 5 years ago

I sure hope that the Deadpool theme gets better treatment than that layout we all saw in the photos. I agree it looked very much like Gomez...guess we will find out rather soon.

#597 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I sure hope that the Deadpool theme gets better treatment than that layout we all saw in the photos. I agree it looked very much like Gomez...guess we will find out rather soon.

From to the Stern press release this morning, I get the feeling we won't be seeing it at Comic Con:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/stern-pinball-arrives-at-san-diego-comic-con-international-2018-with-biggest-lineup-to-date-300681023.html

#599 5 years ago

Great update Jeff. Always entertaining and there's a scoop or two every week.

#600 5 years ago

Agree -Kind of sounds like No Deadpool at Comic Con from the press release. Only thing you might see, if anything would be a teaser of comic art for the game if anything.? Sound's like they are concentrating on Iron Maiden in comic form print material along with the usual Stern lineup for actual machines.

Maybe something at Pinburgh for Deadpool ?

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-this-week-in-pinball/page/12?hl=wfumed2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.