Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,600 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 86 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15_G (resized).jpeg
    Alex-PXL_20210816_214617200-2048x1152 (resized).jpg
    safe_image (resized).jpg
    28828191_2130936530468121_5394942295120187397_o (resized).jpg
    Williams Mashup Vol 2 Translite-4 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.21.30 PM (resized).png
    Arcade1Up-Banner-1-e1625015245371 (1) (resized).jpg
    205789224_4224325530961975_2339908732094246552_n (resized).jpg
    200387345_10159716994453627_133682609964272322_n (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.23.51 AM (resized).png
    TWIP6 (resized).jpg
    189032753_10161094107497586_7190923247058081221_n (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinball_mountain_illustration-1536x2048 (resized).jpeg
    Mandalorian-LE-Details-Ambient-22 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 32.
    #501 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Remember, Odin is the biggest whiner about old people themes and he bought a BM66.

Stern knows their demographic.

If nobody says anything and they want this industry to remain a novelty or a joke, that's their choice. Just as it's mine to say what I think about it.

At the time there was nothing else new worth buying. I try as hard as I can to stay enthused with the way it is. But I aint wasting one more dime on it if this is the way it is going to be.

#502 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

$50 million turned down for the slot license. But a $1 million license accepted for the pinball side.
    More exposure from the slots??

I'm sure it's more about the image of the brand (like JK Rowling and the no gambling for HP).

#503 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If nobody says anything and they want this industry to remain a novelty or a joke, that's their choice. Just as it's mine to say what I think about it.
    At the time there was nothing else new worth buying. I try as hard as I can to stay enthused with the way it is. But I aint wasting one more dime on it if this is the way it is going to be.

What themes do you want?

#504 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

What are examples of less-old-fart-more-current themes that would work for pinball o-din?

Hmmm...

Off road racing.

Coachella.

World War III.

Flight to Uranus.

Girls of Spring Break.

#505 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm sure it's more about the image of the brand (like JK Rowling and the no gambling for HP).

Makes sense. 7

#506 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No doubt! My 95 year old mother is still wondering when we will see that "Oklahoma" the musical, pinball game.

She missed this when she was 38.

3C8796A2-BEB2-4D65-AE71-FE66CCFF0671 (resized).png3C8796A2-BEB2-4D65-AE71-FE66CCFF0671 (resized).png
    #507 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I doubt anyone younger than 60 gives a damn about the Beatles. It would be just another pin to most. Think about what gets the most attention these days. I'm betting it's a Cute Cat Videos pin. Could be Jersey Shore. If it's a Kardashians pin I'll probably throw up.

My 11 year old daughter would amaze you with her Beatles knowledge. Not just the songs, but about the band members and their personal stories. She likes to guess who the lead songwriter on the songs was based on the composition.

#508 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

She missed this when she was 38.

When I first started buying pinball machines she said "these are gambling machines!"

#509 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Stern knows their demographic.

This must be them then. Except all growed up now.

fansatlax (resized).jpgfansatlax (resized).jpg
    #510 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When I first started buying pinball machines she said "these are gambling machines!"

Strange, mine said "you're an f'ing idiot"

#511 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This must be them then. Except all growed up now.

picture checks out

gary stern (resized).jpggary stern (resized).jpg
    #512 5 years ago

I doubt anyone younger than 60 gives a damn about the Beatles. It would be just another pin to most. Think about what gets the most attention these days. I'm betting it's a Cute Cat Videos pin. Could be Jersey Shore. If it's a Kardashians pin I'll probably throw up.

My 45 year old son and many of his friends are Beatles fans. My 16 and 18 year old grand kids are the same way. Good music stands the test of time.

#513 5 years ago

Sounds like the pin run may be similar to the Yellow Submarine juke box run.

http://yellowsubmarinejukebox.com/home

#514 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

My 45 year old son and many of his friends are Beatles fans. My 16 and 18 year old grand kids are the same way. Good music stands the test of time.

I like the Beatles music.

Hey, I like Frank Sinatra too.

So when do you suppose we will be seeing that "Old Blue Eyes" pinball game?

#515 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I like the Beatles music.
    Hey, I like Frank Sinatra too.
    So when do you suppose we will be seeing that "Old Blue Eyes" pinball game?

I am also a Sinatra fan. I swear I have seen an old wood rail with a cartoon image of him on it but I can't find it. He did own one though.

20150300406-7 (resized).jpg20150300406-7 (resized).jpg
    #516 5 years ago

I totally get the marketing strategy though.

People sending in videos to be able to purchase a $15k Batman 66 shows the market for 60s nostalgia is alive and well, and those willing to pay the big bucks for it are too. Much more lucrative than their 80s babies counterparts for sure.

If they really wanna go big, they should start going after the elderly senior citizen crowd who have had money socked away for years just waiting for this to happen.

#517 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

picture checks out

Hilton, you weren't even born yet. how could you be in that pic ???

#518 5 years ago

i read the news today, oh boy.

i imagine for some, you were only waiting for this moment to arrive.

im sure some of the 40K pinside members must feel there are some beatles songs they might consider 'pinball' music. but for me, even given their tremendous catalog, i don't have any beatles songs on my 'pinball' playlist, let alone the number required for a pin. quite a number of their songs are not the right tempo for pinball and/or lack the booming bass people seem to be excited about recently. despite their early R&R/pop hits, i cant bring myself to fancy them when playing the silver ball. on the other hand, the b52s with their party tempo and driving bass lines, translate better to pinball.

looking at the 10 greatest beatles songs as determined by rolling stone magazine, there is only one up tempo song.

10 while my guitar gently weeps
    9 come together
    8 let it be
    7 hey jude
    6 something
    5 in my life
    4 yesterday
    3 strawberry fields forever
    2 i want to hold your hand
    1 a day in the life

at least somebodys finally making a beatles pin... yeah, when im 64.

#519 5 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

you weren't even born yet

I was maybe two when that pic was taken.

And the teenage girls that would watch us when our parents were out had those hairstyles and wore those clothes.

Wonder how many here even know who Ed Sullivan was.

Quoted from greenhornet:

there are some beatles songs they might consider 'pinball' music.

Sure, why not?

#520 5 years ago

They should definitely include Helter Skelter and have some surreal Manson family clips going on the LCD screen.

#521 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

What are examples of less-old-fart-more-current themes that would work for pinball o-din?

How about less licenses and more original theme / content.

#522 5 years ago

Original or general themed games would be fine with me. I think some cool non licensed stuff could be put out there. It was certainly done in the past.

#523 5 years ago

This will probably be the perfect game for the collector that already has Elvis and The Rolling Stones sitting next to each other, and will complete the trio nicely. They should be able to sell just as many too.

#524 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Sounds like the pin run may be similar to the Yellow Submarine juke box run.
    http://yellowsubmarinejukebox.com/home

It's apparently not based on Yellow Submarine but more of the Beatles bread and butter stuff.

#525 5 years ago

I’m sure beatles will sell great but definitely a theme I could careless about.

Just give me Sons of Anarchy

#526 5 years ago

People complain about licenses all the time and I get it. Not everything is for everyone. I’ve never seen an episode of Batman ‘66 or Munsters.

But I listen to the Beatles! I gotta say, I’m very surprised at how many people are complaining about a (possible) Beatles license. It is a huge license that IMO is timeless.

#527 5 years ago

I can just see John Lennon on a stick, Ringo Star Bash the drum target and somehow use the Iron Maiden Playfield.

All the mechs from games of past. Hopefully this isn't a big suck

#528 5 years ago

Some of my favorite games are not licenses at all.... Whirlwind, Taxi, MM, Firepower..

#529 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

I’m very surprised at how many people are complaining about a (possible) Beatles license. It is a huge license that IMO is timeless.

Noone's complaining as long as Benny Goodman gets done next. Now THAT'S timeless.

MI0004196243 (resized).jpgMI0004196243 (resized).jpg

#530 5 years ago

Just off the top of my head, here are some upbeat tempo songs that would do well in a Beatles pin

Revolution
    Day Tripper
    Paperback Writer
    Back in the USSR
    Get Back
    Taxman
    Sgt. Peppers
    Hey Bulldog
    Can't buy Me Love
    Twist and Shout
    A Hard Day's Night
    Ballad of John and Yoko
    Magical Mystery Tour
    Got to get you into my Life
    I am the Walrus
    Helter Skelter

#531 5 years ago

#532 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:Deleted post

Maybe you can answer your own question old-timer, didnt you own a BM66?

#533 5 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Maybe you can answer your own question old-timer, didnt you own a BM66?

Already answered, don't you read?

#534 5 years ago

I HIGHLY doubt they do it, but yellow submarine would be pretty badass.

Interested to see an all black and white Munsters too. I think that would look cool.

But I’m really hoping Deadpool blows my socks off.

#535 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Already answered, don't you read?

Yep I read but its hard to keep up with you hyper users

#536 5 years ago

LE backglass?

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #537 5 years ago

$1 Million license...
    Sell 1000 games...
    Basically paying $1000 a game for the license...

So at a minimum all the prices will have at least $1000 added to them... and probably more like $1500 to $2000 so they can get the profit...

And then if they can sell > 1000 games they keep amping up the profit while not lowering price (even though their cost of goods drops considerably just due to licensing and volume).

Ouch. But good business I guess. Just hope it doesn't use custom node boards...

#538 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

...I’m very surprised at how many people are complaining about a (possible) Beatles license. It is a huge license that IMO is timeless.

Not at all timeless. The success of most performers depends a lot on the culture around them. Move them fifty years sooner or later and they would likely be just another band, not the cultural phenomenon they were.

Look at the popularity of classical music today. In its day there was little that could compete with an orchestra. Today almost no one cares.

#539 5 years ago

The success of most performers depends a lot on the culture around them.

The success of the Beatles had a lot to do with countless, endless hours jamming in the seedy clubs of Hamburg before they hit it big. They were a very polished band by then with creativity sweating out of all their pores.

And as they progressed from there, they didn't just stick with the bubble gum rock that made them famous, they revolutionized rock and roll like no other band of the time. Or any since then.

#540 5 years ago

Beatles Pinball....Yawn. great band but could care less about a pinball tie in.

1989 turtles.... Now that will sell like hotcakes and get some real hype behind it.

#541 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The success of the Beatles had a lot to do with countless, endless hours jamming in the seedy clubs of Hamburg before they hit it big. They were a very polished band by then with creativity sweating out of all their pores.
    And as they progressed from there, they didn't just stick with the bubble gum rock that made them famous, they revolutionized rock and roll like no other band of the time. Or any since then.

Indeed. Watch the 50th Anniversary of Sgt Peppers Doc. Unreal the ideas and technique that went into that album. They were ahead of the curve musically for their entire career and quit on top BEFORE they became an embarrassing bald tire parody of themselves (unlike Elvis, Aerosmith, The Stones, Metallica, ACDC, Alice Cooper and Iron Maiden).

#542 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

1989 turtles.... Now that will sell like hotcakes and get some real hype behind it.

Sorry, you'll get the 1965 version... and like it!

61LApKI+YdL._SX355_ (resized).jpg61LApKI+YdL._SX355_ (resized).jpg
    #543 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

$50 million turned down for the slot license. But a $1 million license accepted for the pinball side.
    More exposure from the slots??

Maybe they were anti-gambling, but ok lending their image to a pinball game. Who knows?

#544 5 years ago

A Beatles Love Cirque Du Soleil theme would be different and pretty cool. Acrobatics meets pinball ?

#545 5 years ago

The Beatles aren't my cup of tea, but I am curious to see how their pin sells. I'm in my 50s and I prefer the harder rock of the 80s, but many of my friends find it appalling that I'm not a Beatles fan.....so maybe it's just me not getting it. I am looking forward to Deadpool though.

#546 5 years ago

I am a huge Beatles fan, but if Stern tries a bullship play on limiting the games too much, they can kiss my a$$. First Gary refuses to admit we exist and now he only wants to rape us of our money.

#547 5 years ago

How about a Yoko Ono bash toy? Then again, if you hit her, you would probably have to hear her scream!

#548 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ramjet:

How about a Yoko Ono bash toy? Then again, if you hit her, you would probably have to hear her scream!

Only if the bash toy screams, "OH NO!" with every hit.

#549 5 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

People complain about licenses all the time and I get it. Not everything is for everyone. I’ve never seen an episode of Batman ‘66 or Munsters.
    But I listen to the Beatles! I gotta say, I’m very surprised at how many people are complaining about a (possible) Beatles license. It is a huge license that IMO is timeless.

As much as anything, I think a theme like this can only work if stern does not screw it up and honestly, what percentage do they actually get even close to good? Traditionally the bigger the theme the shittier the game and less they put in. I want to play pinball, so all I hear when stern talks about all the money they are dumping on anhuge license is that we need to lower our expectations on toys, new features, and game play.

#550 5 years ago

If Beatles is another retheme to cover licensing costs like B66 that would suck

There are 1,600 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-this-week-in-pinball/page/11?hl=slingshot_scott and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.