Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Firsthand information from the Magic Girl programmer. Posted by applejuice (6 years ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by PinMonk (4 years ago)

Post #5771 First RAZA gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #5874 RAZA video with more audible game sounds Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5926 First RAZA video with successful ramp completion Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5967 Another RAZA gameplay video Posted by flynnibus (4 years ago)

Post #6050 Closeup pictures of key playfield features Posted by Potatoloco (4 years ago)

Post #6133 Video of display animations Posted by LateCenturyMods (4 years ago)

Post #6329 Summary of Robert Mueller's interview Posted by jeffspinballpalace (4 years ago)

Post #6724 RAZA Gameplay video Posted by DS_Nadine (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1886 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Goonies photoshop job looks to be roughly between 5th and 7th grade level of skill. Pinball trolls need to work a little harder on the next one.

Who has time for Photoshop? I did that in five minutes with generic fonts in Microsoft Paint.

#1887 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Artwork is from Fanart.tv

...and it's obviously not from there. You think 5th grade skill could cleanly remove that logo from the artwork? Nice try, smart guy.

#1890 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I have below a 5th grade skill and could quite easily remove (or more likely just trim) that logo from the original artwork.

And then black out all the spaces between letters? Sounds like work! Let's get an actual 5th grader in here and see if he can do it.

I just found an image that already had the logo off to the side. Work smarter, not harder.

#1891 5 years ago

Mostly I just want "deerpoot" to become a thing.

#1893 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

PS: I finally took down your pop bumper (default champion) on my TNA. I think it might have been the last record to fall.

Nice! Seems like it would be easy with the pop bumper so exposed, but any game where you hit the bumper a lot is usually a short one.

3 weeks later
#1918 5 years ago

Shocker.

#1997 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

So they are burning $75k a month right now

Add a zero.

#2063 5 years ago

Can't you just feel the love emanating from Ben's whole being?

#2075 5 years ago

You guys just can't wait for virtual sex, huh?

1 year later
#6937 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Please. NO game should Ever be like BK3!

You can finally cut loose and tell us what you *really* think now that you sold that boat anchor!

9 months later
#10196 3 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Wasted a lot of people's time.

What, like five minutes? They have a long way to go to catch up with deerpoot.

#10200 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Update: Delayed beyond today. LMAO!!!

What's another day, week, or month? It's been years.

#10210 3 years ago

Who needs a countdown when you can have a countUP!

countup.jpgcountup.jpg

#10250 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I was thinking today maybe they could have the last laugh...but NOPE.

Good thing about waiting a couple years is you're guaranteed the last laugh. Everyone else is all laughed out.

#10408 3 years ago

All this for a Popadiuk game.

#10512 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

It’s clear these people don’t understand pinball.

But, but... it's easy!

#10685 3 years ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

It's almost as though.....how does someone NOT place a beer there? It looks like it was made to hold beer steady...

Reverse beer seal. Funnel the liquid directly into an electronic screen.

It's almost like whoever designed this cabinet has no clue about commercial use. Or even your average pinball party where everyone's half-tipsy and carrying a beverage. Or kids.

#10690 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I like the crotch speakers. You could play voice clips there to better help the player.

I'm not sold on 'em. Still haven't evolved ears in place of testicles.

#10694 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

One thing I totally don’t get is why this game isn’t powder coated after waiting three years.

Because big shot Bob has a boner for '90s Williams. Stainless is more expensive but seems cheaper to modern buyers, lose/lose.

#10750 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Why does everyone keep overlooking, Multimorphic P3?

Those look like crap too.

IN MY OPINION, relax people.

#10862 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Im new so I havnt been through the past of this ,but I have read the story .I kinda like this dude JPOP

In your defense I’ll assume you’re drunk, considering the punctuation. At any rate, you’re in a very exclusive club.

#11026 3 years ago

I don't even know where to start. Okay, that's a lie, I'll start here: Food Truck.

Deerpoot will need its own wing of the pinball history museum.

#11066 3 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

To be fair, this TWIP story shows Deeproot in a much better light than the stuff yesterday.

Of course it does. TWIP's choices are to publish something flattering, or have big shot Bob excel at his true calling, legal threats.

#11083 3 years ago

Theme is the alpha and omega of modern pinball. If they announced a Harry Potter game with zero platform innovations, people would be lined up with $10k in their hand. Instead they spent years and millions reinventing the wheel for a car no one wants to drive. Cargument!

#11242 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’m not reading all this everyone knows where I stand .I stand with DR I’m on this like sweat on nuts!!!!!Exiting times in this hobby !!!!!!!

It's beer:30 again.

#11244 3 years ago

eight years old, dude.pngeight years old, dude.png

#11254 3 years ago

Pinbar reservoir looks about 18"x4" and a quarter inch deep, which is 18 cubic inches, almost exactly ten fluid ounces. Won't quite hold a beer, especially not at playing pitch.

#11429 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

when presented with the coin door interface (Never really heard it's designation brought up.) I wondered why this archaic piece of equipment was the main interface for diagnositics, settings, etc, and not just a phone.

Because it's simple, time tested, rock solid technology that just plain works. I can navigate a Williams or Stern menu faster than you can do anything on a fancy touchscreen device. Never have to worry if my app is updated. Never have to go upstairs and grab my phone if I left it in the living room. Never have to troubleshoot the bluetooth dongle firmware or whatever the hell will inevitably break my ability to change something I can do in ten seconds with existing hardwired buttons. Don't have to worry about fat-fingering something on a touchscreen.

Ask any operator or longtime collector if they'd trade their coin door buttons for an app.

Quoted from wesman:

Again, (Also as a new owner) setting up a game, moving it, removing the glass, playfield movement, all things I felt were either confusing, outdated or inefficient.

Outdated, you mean like pinball itself? All of those things you listed have been distilled down to their simplest essence over decades. No frills, just basic, commercial-grade mechanical functionality that even a luddite old-school operator can figure out without software or even a paper manual.

#11434 3 years ago

It's a manufacturing business, period, full stop. If you aren't manufacturing pins, you don't even have a business. Design is just one department that feeds the assembly line, like human resources, procurement, accounting, etc. Sure, design is the part that excites us, but it's not a business. It's just an expense.

The. Line. Is. Everything. And I haven't seen any evidence that deerpoot has one.

#11510 3 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

Imagine having a bouncing/moving "boom" button instead of a static one, that's a simple idea...or have a virtual death save 2D "video mode" to try and bring the ball back to life again. Kinda like 3D Mario turning into 2D Mario and back again...3D ball -> 2D ball -> 3D ball again.

I prefer to spend my pinball time actually playing pinball, not a shitty video game. "Tap the moving thing on the iPad" is for seniors with dementia to keep their brains active.

#11546 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You're going to take the Pinside hivemind over someone who actually played it and said straight up it doesn't cut into your hands?

Yes, I'll take my years of experience playing old Williams games with square lockdown bars over comments from a deerpoot-approved "correspondent" who knows big shot Bob will threaten him with violating an NDA if he says anything too critical.

#11548 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

This is a hill I'm willing to die on.

Dude, not while I'm in the middle of taking a drink.

2020, the gift that keeps on giving.

#11551 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I read this as "I will form my opinion based on a few photos and refuse to budge no matter what."

Lol, c'mon dude. Yes, I believe my eyes. It's a square-edged lockdown bar. They aren't comfortable.

#11556 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

they have way too many experienced pinball designers to make a mistake like that.

Do they feel free to speak their minds without fear of repercussions?

#11560 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

if the bar was slicing up hands clearly they would go in another direction

No one thinks it's literally slicing hands. Just uncomfortable (or even painful) to play if you do any amount of nudging.

#11566 3 years ago

Frisco really is gonna die on this hill.

#11583 3 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

While I agree with this, I think that one of the examples was not primarily designed to fit "hands".

Where are you doing with the rake handle?!?

#11638 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Yeah it’s too bad some idiot invented the “car”.Id much rather in a buggy smelling a horses arse.

Of course we're anti-progress, this is a pinball forum. You may as well be posting at buggywhips.com. Pretty sure there's a PlayStation 5 with your name on it if you want the latest & greatest gaming experience.

#11875 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

if the game is started, players added, etc... all options done through the pinbar,

Strongly dislike this idea. I enjoy the tactile satisfaction of walking up to a game and BANG-BANG add a couple players from a real start button. Why are they spending thousands (millions?) of development dollars to make the simplest things harder AND less fun to do?

Cargument time! It's like when they replace volume & climate knobs with a touchscreen. That is NOT an upgrade.

#11890 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Do you want to be more blue or red? WTH does that even mean?

I know you're not that dumb.

#11892 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

hence why ford (and other auto companies) have gone back and replaced most of those touchscreen controls back to physical switches. too many customers complaining about losing the ability to do anything when the touchscreen stops working.

First time I saw a Model S with that giant tablet in place of the entire console I was like, never buying one of those. Touchscreens are not luxury, they are just everyday junk now. That's what cars looked like in 1970's sci-fi. I hope someone makes "cheap" cars with knobs (which are actually way more expensive) as long as humans drive them. And pinball machines with buttons.

#11893 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I don't mind plastic ramps, but I am surprised that the plastic ramp police who like to bug Stern so much haven't come out in this thread.

We are so far from a working production machine that frivolous concerns like "gameplay" seem irrelevant.

Innovation!

#11898 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Does the thermostat on your wall at home have a temperature number or do you just add more wood still?

It has a giant knob and one button that physically clicks, no touchscreen.

#11977 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

This so reminds me of the JPOP days when people would tour his facility and report back with how promising things looked and all the cool stuff that was in the works.

Those were certainly some rose-colored glasses. I visited Zidware once to buy a pre-war bagatelle game. John gave me a tour of the "operation," which consisted of one kid hand-wiring the underside of a playfield (no harness), and a few prototype machines in various states of incompletion. RAZA, couple Magic Girls, that Kiss "machine," and a street-level throwback sci-fi game with solid state score displays in the lobby. John proudly gave me a Bally Pinball Wizard t-shirt he'd faithfully reproduced. Between that and the couple nice Zidware shirts he gave me over the years, seems like dude missed his calling.

P.S. Speaking of that old bagatelle, pretty sure I'm the only person who ever bought and received a game from Zidware.

P.P.S. That game was Contact Master, the exact machine that ended up at Pinball Life's open house party and inspired Terry to create Scoregasm Master.

P.P.P.S. I broke John's NDA posting this stuff. Oops.

#12027 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Here's something that I've always wondered. If I wanted to manufacturer a pinball game, do I need to recreate my own brackets, pop number assembles, and drop target assemblies? Do these companies make their own or license the stuff? How does that work?

I'm assuming they make their own coils?

If you're smart you don't make any of that crap. No license needed, just buy it. TNA homebrew was designed with as many off-the-shelf parts as possible. I think only its ball guides and plastics are custom. Game made it to production and is a blast to play.

Sure, people want cool toys, custom design those. But don't waste time cutting a Z logo into your coil brackets like Zidware.

#12046 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

That's what I found so weird with Heighway and Alien, they spent a lot of time reinventing the wheel on things.

That's the fun part!

#12091 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

that Stern still uses the Dot Matrix GUI from Baywatch for the systems menu is lackluster beyond belief.

What specifically is wrong with it though? It's simple, effective, easy to understand, quick & easy to navigate. Why spend development time & resources polishing the plumbing when you can furnish the house with that money?

I can at least understand the pro-pinbar arguments, although I don't agree with them, because it's player-facing.

#12192 3 years ago

Frobozz is messing with you n00bs. He was part of a team that invented that over 20 years ago.

RFM.jpgRFM.jpg

#12215 3 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

His snide answer was at first off putting, “Using it” , to which I gave him a scowl, then he said “with fabric softener, the wax in it gums up the bearings.”, to which I asked “any way to prevent it?” and he replied “Use dryer sheets”...

Fabric softener is snake oil anyway. You got $400 worth of advice.

#12492 3 years ago

Still can't believe there are people who were swindled by JPop, hit the life lottery when a rich egomaniac volunteered to pay the debt, and doubled down on their poor judgement by saying, "no, keep the money, I'm sure this time will be different."

#12493 3 years ago

Meanwhile it's 8 years after the Pinside "release" date for RAZA, and the latest headline is You Can Make The Ramp.

#12496 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

JPop declined since this is not "how things are done in his company".

At least he was right about one thing.

#12622 3 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

At least they could offer a refund at this point.

So hopeless dreamers can turn it down again?

Reminds me of the joke about a guy stuck on his roof during a flood. He turns down multiple rescue attempts, confident that god will save him. Eventually drowns, goes to heaven, asks god why he didn't save him. "I sent you a rowboat, a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

#12654 3 years ago

Yeah I have a hard time rooting for either side of a loudmouth Texas lawyer spat.

#12664 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I have no "spat" because i don't care,

Okay.

#12756 3 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

The six of us that went to deeproot will be joining the Virtual Pinball Expo for a live Q&A about deeproot tomorrow evening.

One of you should ceremonially rip an NDA in half on camera, then give us the real scoop. Until then, zero interest.

#12772 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Fun with Bonus without Deeproot news for 9 days

I have a ton of respect for Steve and do NOT want to put words in his mouth, but that FWB info dump struck me as "let's at least share everything we've accomplished for posterity before they pull the plug."

1 week later
#12943 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I wanted jp2 sooo bad, but it had a mono target.

At first I was like, "no it doesn't," but I guess you mean the raptor gate? Lol, what a hill to die on. Glad I didn't deprive myself of owning & playing maybe the greatest pin of all time because a standup target is two targets wide. Actually looks better mono, gives the impression of like, an actual gate. "World under glass" as the zealots say.

You could always get a pro and drink yourself to sleep every night to forget you're missing the gate.

#12963 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm sure I missed a few though.

They even thought of outdated retro themes!
Gay 90s (resized).jpgGay 90s (resized).jpg

#12992 3 years ago

And here's to you, Mr. Popadiuk
Mueller loves you more than all his dough
Whoa, whoa, whoa
Bob pays your fees, Mr. Popadiuk
Pinside holds a thread for those who pray
Pay, pay, pay
Wait, wait, wait

So here's to you, Mr. Popadiuk
Robert loves you more than pop-up trolls
Whoa, whoa, whoa
Hang it up please, Mr. Popadiuk
Pinbar cuts your hand just like a blade
Flay, flay, flay
Spray, spray, spray

#13063 3 years ago

All they had to do was deliver a mediocre J-Pop game in a WPC cabinet with P-ROC boards and watch the suckers line up to pay $7k+ for it.

#13078 3 years ago
Quoted from TM462:

I'm just waiting for the Limericks!

There once was a man from the south
Adept at running his mouth
Five days, then five years
His funds disappeared
Even deep roots dry up in a drought

3 weeks later
#13701 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

They haven’t even updated the menu UI to LCD after all these years.

No need, it's simple, easy & just plain works. Operators don't want to learn a new system. Why should Stern spend money on things that add zero value to the player?

#13705 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So is a rock - doesn't make it polished and desirable.

Congrats on the worst analogy I've seen this year and maybe ever.

When Flynn enters the argument you know it's time to exit. You guys enjoy daydreaming about intricate, complicated service menus.

5 months later
#17985 2 years ago

Just wanted to say "hi" to Big Shot Bob in case he's perusing this thread in his ample downtime.

#18127 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I wonder how that King of Diamonds remake would do today.

I'm curious too, since I know a guy with a perfect HUO example (with topper!) for sale. Strike while the iron is hot.

2 weeks later
#18419 2 years ago

Anyone dumb enough to not immediately request a refund upon reading that email needs a conservator in charge of their estate.

#18512 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

No comments on the one concrete update from the update? New FunWithBonus Raza content

Starting typing something, then realized I said the same thing seven months ago:

Quoted from yancy:

I have a ton of respect for Steve and do NOT want to put words in his mouth, but that FWB info dump struck me as "let's at least share everything we've accomplished for posterity before they pull the plug."

#18519 2 years ago

Agree or disagree? RAZA is the most innovative pinball machine ever made.

Pinball without the machine! If that's not innovative, I don't know what is.

3 weeks later
#18914 2 years ago

"Sorry man, can't sell it for less than $150k, that's what I have in it."

#18918 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Better chances winning the lottery than getting a dr machine.

I mean, he's not wrong. People win the lottery all the time.

#19039 2 years ago

Boomer humor unleashed, yikes.

1 week later
#19128 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Holy cow - 2 days with no further posts or updates

I'll spice it up with this fake ad from three years ago. It didn't seem too crazy at the time.
Goonies.pngGoonies.png

#19160 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

A Haggis Pinball customer knocked on the door and was welcomed in and given a tour of the new facility.

Looks like a very nice hobby workshop but I can't imagine 50 Fathoms a month coming out of there. I wish them luck.

#19172 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Haggis has accumulated a butt load of expensive manufacturing equipment and will be machining many of their own parts. Everything from brackets to playfield inserts.

Mistake #1. Hopefully they don't make too many.

1 week later
#19359 2 years ago

Friday night of a holiday weekend. God help us all.

#19395 2 years ago

Robert did say to expect the next update after the holiday weekend,

Big Shot Bob's Holiday Extravaganza.jpgBig Shot Bob's Holiday Extravaganza.jpg

1 week later
#19656 2 years ago

This thread is fun. Let's keep it as a hangout after this company is dead & buried. We could even make shirts! I have Zidware shirts despite them shipping zero games, why not Deerpoot.

#19695 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If you wear that outside, everyone will be like “Shit Mask? What’s Shit Mask?”

These company logos couldn't be worse if they tried. Not sure what's a bigger design fail, Skit B shit mask or Deerpoot butt plug. American Pinball with the most generic name ever and a boring symbol to match.

#19760 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

2. Nostalgia leads to blind buys & decent sales numbers…but they can’t produce because they don’t know how to run a manufacturing business, leading to a Lebowski situation where 7 years later original buyers don’t have games.

This one. Theme is crack cocaine. When I got into this hobby it was about pinball. Now it's about giant lunchboxes with your favorite characters.

1 week later
#20276 2 years ago

They used to make ethanol from corn, but you've upgraded to nightmare fuel.

#20279 2 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

I wish I could find local corn for $5 for 12

3 for a dollar at Woodman's when it's in season. Not sure how local it is, but looks & tastes farm fresh to me.

Deerpoot thread delivers! Sure, grocery tips instead of games, but that's nitpicking.

#20300 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

3 for a dollar at Woodman's when it's in season.

Update: 4 for a dollar. Ay caramba, these are hot hot hot prices!
7A05165C-0452-43C1-B61D-A5F4D95E75D4 (resized).jpeg7A05165C-0452-43C1-B61D-A5F4D95E75D4 (resized).jpeg

#20344 2 years ago

It's gonna be ugly when Chris turns on Spooky.

#20530 2 years ago

I think I found what he's been up to! "Bulletprufe" sounds just dumb enough.
quad-blend.pngquad-blend.png

#20583 2 years ago

Could do without the music, but that's the most bang-for-your-buck 5 minutes of audio in podcast history. Megalomania, braggadocio, narcissism, delusions of grandeur, snake oil, good old fashioned bullshit, you want it he's got it. I'm not a Kaneda listener, but count me in for more bite-sized schadenfreude.

#20657 2 years ago

Derp Thoughts part 2 is a little underwhelming. Aside from the hammer test brag, it's just a bunch of vague, long-winded yakety yak. You can already hear him walking back some of the boldest claims.

#20668 2 years ago

I never had the patience to hear all this spiel the first time around, only saw it quoted here. Interesting to hear it from the horse's ass, I mean mouth. Count me in for a limited LP on translucent shit-brown vinyl.

#20905 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoreland:

A legal matter affecting RAZA arose around a month ago that we did not expect.

An escape hatch!

#21197 2 years ago

Found a couple business cards in a box of old crap. Glossy, embossed logo, no expense spared!
5B903390-54FB-473B-9BEE-6816E9E3197C (resized).jpeg5B903390-54FB-473B-9BEE-6816E9E3197C (resized).jpeg

#21231 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Skimming through it the one semi-good idea I saw was the USB port for updates and audio output is in the coin door instead of behind the backglass.

Any real manufacturer of commercial devices would never put a USB port there. Think like a toddler.

#21236 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I read it as being on the inside of the coin door, not the exterior.

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.

Quoted from TreyBo69:

But Idk... plenty of devices have USB ports within a child's reach.

Consumer devices, sure. Not so much in arcades where they attract lollipop sticks.

#21862 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The irony would be it getting yoinked via "civil forfeiture" and then sold to some old lady at an auction for 500 bucks for her grandkids.

That would be a tragedy. Imagine how many actually fun toys she could buy for $500.

#22182 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

If you go back to JPop interviews circa 2012 it seemed like he intended to make most things in house. Hell, he was talking about redesigning star posts and 3D printing them for production games.

Biggest red flag moment (of many) when I visited the Zidware shop was John proudly showing off a coil bracket he redesigned to incorporate a cutout Z logo.

#22213 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The "other thread" has moved into Bargaining stage.

Just popped in there for the first time today. Looks like some have taken one step back to the Anger stage.

#22215 2 years ago

I'd advocate for folks to take a step back and stop aggravating those who pre-ordered in that thread.

Agreed, I have no business posting there.

#22219 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yancy with restraint??

Time and a place for everything.

Quoted from Yelobird:

Where was that when you snatched our 80$ playing Dolly last night!

You almost caught me! One 5x drop target away.
Makes up for beating the grand champ on Stranger Things and still getting beat by almost double in the same game.

#22220 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

That's a high stake game of Dolly!

I put a hundo on the glass, but no takers.

#22291 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

But JP blows every Bally/Williams title out of the water?

That's a bit hyperbolic, but yes, I do think it's better than all the WMS games I cut my teeth on 20+ years ago.

#22315 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Maybe I just haven't spent enough time with Jurassic Park to get that level of nuance.

You have not.

#22569 2 years ago

Makes sense that John is obsessed with purple since that color doesn't exist*, and neither do any deerpoot games.

* google it

#22693 2 years ago

This remains the single most batshit crazy thing I've read in my time on earth. Every few years I revisit it to see if it's as unhinged as I remember. Every time I rediscover an even more ridiculous detail I'd forgotten. Hard to fathom the amount of cocaine and chutzpah it took for Python to present this to Williams as a game they'd actually manufacture. And they sort of did!

If you've never read it, do yourself a... favor? Pull up a chair, crack open a cold one, cut a few lines on the mirror, and get inside Python's brain for a while.

#22733 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Hire Joe Balcer and start your own company.

Design your own whitewood and skip the guy who wants modern games to play at six degrees. One less salary. Spend that money on any licensed theme people have heard of and your playfield layout is irrelevant.

#23095 2 years ago

deepshirt.jpgdeepshirt.jpg

#23114 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

While you guys are all doing the happy dance, [...]

For me, I’m happy now [...]

So wait, you're allowed to be happy, but we aren't? No one here is happy that innocent investors lost money. I'm not even happy that pinball guys who should have known better lost money. But I AM happy that it's over, that no more Steve Bowdens will be hoodwinked into a dead-end job, that no more suckers will throw money down a well that could go to actual manufacturers... at least until the next money pit comes along.

#23129 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Looks like the break room had regular pins in it. I'm guessing those will be among the liquidation assets.

So it looks eight people WILL get a pin from deerpoot. Take that, doubters!

#23691 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I wonder if the land lord knew it was a difficult tenant and was trying to bounce while he could.

Great tenant if the checks were clearing! No wear & tear on the facility.

#24010 2 years ago
Quoted from dri:

I completely over-ate that that delicious mac & cheese joint not far from Reciprocal, so it could've been that.

Just the thought of him Jplopping an assload of mac & cheese into a skate shop crapper is enough to put me off food for a week. Of course Robert would powdercoat the toilet purple and make it a shrine.

#24057 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

The good thing is I'll be playing RAZA for free digitally on my VP pin

Masochist?

#24137 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Watch this video and tell me that doesn't look good

I'm sure the latest VR golf game looks great too but try telling that to the boys when they head out to the course with a case of beer.

#24143 2 years ago

Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness

Pinball Wizard: Trials, Tribulations and Tilts

#24145 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

the Pinball Division was just a small part of the grand scheme.

But it might be the most comedically rich. Fleecing retirees for your kid's private school is a tired trope at this point. Blowing half your fortune on a game that catches fire? Now THAT's television.

#24171 2 years ago

I want an overly dramatized scene where a grizzled engineer pours an entire beverage into the recessed pinbar, sparks fly literally & figuratively, and Robert fires him on the spot.

#24178 2 years ago

I think that's a trademark search, not a licensing search

This. I'm pretty sure licensing agreements are private business (until someone chooses to make it known of course).

#24187 2 years ago

I remain skeptical that this will bubble above the financial rags. It's a relatively paltry sum in a post-Madoff world, and the general public barely knows that pinball exists. Also doesn't help that Bob has the same name as a much more famous guy from a recent kerfuffle.

#24391 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm glad you being under contract there did not stop EHOH from seeing its release. You can be proud of that work.

I still want to see the proto before Stern flattened the ramps. They look more like Ritchie ramps on the production game, no typical Nordman flair.

#24392 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

John is what he is. A genius pinball designer, one of the best ever. I can wait

Prophetic post from six years ago.

#24413 2 years ago

Levi they made like three Celts I'm sure they can crank out a few hundred Fathoms relax dude.

#25072 2 years ago

Google with the understatement of the decade, "usually not too busy."

#25139 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

if all his 3 pins were completely finished & played decently a company would of sold thousands of them

If only me auntie had bollocks she’d be me uncle.

#25210 2 years ago

I can't figure out if Jeff is implying the threats are because he talked, or because he didn't talk enough. Or is it purposely vague on that front?

#25281 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I can't figure out if Jeff is implying the threats are because he talked, or because he didn't talk enough. Or is it purposely vague on that front?

I asked this question sincerely, to no one in particular, and got a PM telling me it was because "he didn’t talk enough. But then you know that already don’t you?" Capped off with "you people piled on him."

I won't dignify the PM with a direct response, just thought I'd share with the class. Also won't say who sent it, "but then you know that already don’t you?"

#25293 2 years ago

Find someone who looks at you like Greatwich looks at JPop.

#25346 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Did someone notice a calendar showing Dec 2020?

I wouldn't put too much stock into someone being too lazy to replace a calendar. Parking snooper reported cars in the lot well into this year.

6 months later
#28515 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

He invested in a carwash I think?

Breaking Bob

#28698 2 years ago
Quoted from davjoszie:

I wonder how many shitty Whitewoods they planned on making before shipping one single pin?

Looks exactly like the state of affairs at Zidware the one time I visited. John had at least four titles in various states of "development."

#28741 2 years ago

Stern should buy these and add them to the wall to show dominance.
microwall.pngmicrowall.png

#28746 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

If I was worth $100MM,

If I was worth $100MM, I'd buy all the "games" as a gift to the creditors, and burn them all in a giant bonfire as a gift to the pinball community. Imagine the party.

#28752 2 years ago

Oh sure, take a bunch of pictures. But then let's Lord of the Flies this mofo.

#28756 2 years ago

Sigh, okay killjoy, let's not burn them to the ground. You win.

We all know they're going to gather dust in some rich dude's basement anyway.

#28772 2 years ago

I and a couple hundred other longtime enthusiasts could design a better shooting whitewood than any J-Pop project from this century, but I have a day job and a family to keep me busy, so you'll have to find some other sucker.

As far as I can tell, J-Pop's only post-WMS contribution was discovering Zombie Yeti by googling "zombie art." Now you too possess this powerful knowledge. Go forth and prosper.

#28804 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I believe the brag was $750,000 a month they were spending.

Will this be the first trial with pinside posts introduced as evidence?

Related question, are Big Shot Bob's old posts locked from editing?

#28831 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I can see someone picking up The Who license in the future. Probably not this layout or anything, but it is an ok dad rock theme.

Paging John Borg.

#28861 2 years ago

Whoever gets the bottles, please, for the love of god, sell one to me.

#28870 2 years ago

Blows my mind that people are even hypothesizing about finishing those cut blank playfields. Pinball community has more than its share of glass 100% full, wild-eyed eternal optimists. God bless you each and every one.

#28872 2 years ago

No money in it at $200 when you factor in:

Quoted from Revo76:

Those stacked playfields of lot #311 you see there on that pile are not printed.
They are even missing the inserts when you look closer.
So they still had to glue in the inserts, sand them flat, primer, print and lacquer them.
So all they are good for now is just firewood.
Unless you can do all the next steps to finish them.
But the question on which you will get stuck is, where will i get the artwork files from..... ?

Would you pay $500?

#28922 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Just out of curiosity, why are some of you so desirous for a Deeproot water bottle?

Need to something to drink when I’m wearing my Zidware shirts.

#29010 2 years ago
Quoted from LeonSpinkx:

Watch our friend Iceperson buy it so he can claim he got his Deeproot pinball after all.

Never miss the chance to say I was the only person who successfully bought a game from Zidware. Sure, it was a $200 bagatelle, but it was complete & playable.

#29013 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

I wanted the water bottles until the price got silly.

Wow, you weren't kidding! I'd still be in at $300 if I was local for easy pickup.

Would be hilarious & apt if they go for more than some of the whitewoods.

#29142 2 years ago

People that have money, get a decent team together, & know how to properly manage can still get into the market.

Money and a team are nice, but optional. You know what's mandatory? Elbow grease. That's pretty much all Spooky had in the beginning. They've cranked out more games than all the rich guys with teams combined. Of course now they have money and a team, but it was all built with elbow grease.

#29204 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Prediction: The deeproot gym sells for more than the assorted pinball parts.

If only people were that practical.

#29381 2 years ago

Very common in my neck of the woods. There's a Huntley road in Dundee. It takes you to Huntley. The same road in Huntley is Dundee road.

#29397 2 years ago

Those whiteboards are so cute, like kids playing dress-up businessmen.

#29403 2 years ago

Need one more Deerpoot shirt to cap off my collection.
??????????

#29437 2 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Is no one contemplating setting up a home theater?

People are so accustomed to barcalounger caliber seats now. Those are like office chairs with cup holders. Granted, still looks more comfy than every theater I grew up sitting in.

#29450 2 years ago

Theatre of Tragic

#29460 2 years ago
Quoted from IMI4tth3w:

Engineering team tried so hard (jpop included) to just build them as is and do pinbar in the next machine (or one after that).

You know you've screwed the pooch when even JPop is trying to dial back the needless "innovation."

#29648 2 years ago

I just have one question: WHO GOT THE BOTTLES?!?

#29652 2 years ago

VERY.

Quoted from iceman44:

lightly used fitness equipment

#29661 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

that's barely under retail after fees

Some people just can't resist a yard sale.

#29675 2 years ago

Still have not heard back from a few that might of been bidding.

My man! I was afraid this thread would dry up when the auction ended, but you're good for a couple pages.

#29802 2 years ago

Start a podcast already.

#29839 2 years ago

Is that like, a hand-painted piece of wall? Fred Sanford might be interested.

#29982 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Except they spelled 'PHARAOH' wrong!

Hey, it was only v12!

#30190 2 years ago

Key post + milestone: Pinside has officially entered the chat.

I'm in there! Finally got my 15 seconds of legal fame, and I didn't even have to commit investment fraud.

#30199 2 years ago

Completely unfounded crackpot theory: these insurance policies are a horrible deal at the bid price, but Robert hoodwinked snack guy just like everyone else. Snack guy thinks this insider information is the deal of the century, but it would actually bankrupt him. Pinside "death saved" his ass.

#30213 2 years ago

Wish I could be a fly on the wall as the judge scrolls through several pages of Pinside memes & shitposts.

#30289 2 years ago

I need some Barry Oursler spinner decals. Put 'em only on the back, so you get an easter egg when you rip it.

#30293 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

What I don’t get is how you shoot around the stuff in the way to get to the back half of the playfield. It’s so much stuff to get out of the way

^ This.

That playfield is so ridiculously convoluted that you could retheme it to Black Hole 2: Deeproot.

#30330 2 years ago

Same sort of private staff that let I guy drown in a spit hood from drinking.

What in the... I mean, huh?

Moosehead Grapefruit radler, 2 pitchers of bud, 1 coors, & 3 miller high life

Nevermind.

#30371 2 years ago

Okay this is getting too dark, back to mocking whitewoods, please and thank you.

#30384 2 years ago

I refuse to believe Chorus Nylander is an actual reporter and not a Stephen King villain.

#30397 2 years ago

If the shoe was on the other foot, Big Shot Bob would’ve C&D’d the shit out of the gardening company. At least their logo doesn’t look like a buttplug.

#30487 2 years ago

Yeah, every one of these calls is thousands (?) of recovered dollars not going into victims' pockets. Necessary evil I guess.

#30509 2 years ago

I hope Levi is on to appreciate the broken-down frozen fish truck analogy.

#30511 2 years ago

Maybe it's because my only exposure to court is film & TV, but man, this attorney does not inspire confidence.

#30585 2 years ago

I'd buy that sucker if I could still squeeze into a large.

#30598 2 years ago

Best part of that shirt is the 2011 copyright. A decade spent chasing the dragon. TOTAN really hit some guys hard.

#30620 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Can anyone who bought a complete set and or most of them contact me please , thank you

Please for the love of god let this dumpster fire burn out. Not every unfinished clunkenstein needs to be saved. I don’t frame every finger painting my kid brings home from daycare.

#30747 1 year ago

Guys trying to salvage all those half-finished whitewoods, but the whiteBOARD belongs in a museum.

1 year later
#32891 8 months ago

Anyone want to translate and commentate these mumbo jumbo surely shenanigans?

That's why we have the indomitable blueberryjohnson! If you can't decipher it, we have no chance.

1 month later
#33084 6 months ago

Deactivated his account because wanted a break. Can't reactivate until 30 days have passed. Created separate account in the meantime and posted acknowledging it was him.

That's like an alcoholic throwing away his ID, then getting a fake ID to buy booze because the DMV takes too long. I guess we're all addicts here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution?tu=yancy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.