View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Firsthand information from the Magic Girl programmer. Posted by applejuice (6 years ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #5771 First RAZA gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #5874 RAZA video with more audible game sounds Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5926 First RAZA video with successful ramp completion Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5967 Another RAZA gameplay video Posted by flynnibus (4 years ago)

Post #6050 Closeup pictures of key playfield features Posted by Potatoloco (4 years ago)

Post #6133 Video of display animations Posted by LateCenturyMods (4 years ago)

Post #6329 Summary of Robert Mueller's interview Posted by jeffspinballpalace (4 years ago)

Post #6724 RAZA Gameplay video Posted by DS_Nadine (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pbwizard14.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1296 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The idea that pinball needs to become a redemption game is ridiculous.
Redemption games have ZERO room for skill, simple as that. They are completely different concepts.
A pinball-style redemption game might be cute but that's as far as it goes. You are never going to cross-polinate actual pinball with redemption because ops don't want to give away free stuff to skilled players.

I think there might be something there. What is a company had two heads, one for home use/collectors and another for redemption games. The players score would determine their prize and they should be allowed to stack their score to have them continue putting money in the machine for a better prize. The head could be used to hold and distribute the prize on location. This would be a real money maker for routes and even some collectors might want this instead of a regular machine. Skill would be involved or a lot of money or both.

#1297 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

If pinball really wanted to attract massive amounts of dollar dropping customers, they’d ditch the entire concept of a head/backglass and look to redemption machines. Put in some super flashy lights, and use the head to house prizes... and make games simple to understand. That would attract attention.
But the industry has stubbornly gone down a completely different path to try and preserve this notion of history matched with ever increasing complexity. That probably has to do with the fact that everything the industry designs is made with the home collector in mind. If the industry was serious about making attractive locations games for the public, they’d be heading down a totally different path.
To put simply: the LCD screen isn’t going to make pinball massively profitable with kids and newbs.

This isn't a bad idea. They could build two versions of the head.

#1329 5 years ago

AIW is the machine I am looking forward to. It would be nice to know what the price point will be. Games that start at $9K and up might be difficult to sell even if they are innovative and the coolest thing since sliced bread. The revamp of Magic Girl should be something to too. I'm getting one NIB soon and saving up for the Deeproot releases regardless of what comes out now. The Elvira machine could be interesting, but I already have SS and am content with it for its campiness and theme.

2 years later
#10780 3 years ago

"Don't fall in love with a dreamer
'Cause he'll break you every time"

Kenny Rogers -Kim Carnes

A touch screen is innovative, interested to see how it integrates with the game.

#10791 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Yes looks like reflections if I look at the stainless apron in front of it. Probably still a display though.

Could be a display so the player could keep an eye on the animations while making a shot since animations are for spectators and not the player while the ball is flying around the playfield.

#11204 3 years ago

I'm in for a working Magic Girl.

#11794 3 years ago

Now that the cat is more or less out of the bag and everybody is sounding off on the pinbar and its "dangerously sharp" corners, what is the price for a RAZA or any of their other coming your way soon games?

4 months later
#15774 3 years ago

I waited 6 years for Wayne to remake MM and he never did. Fortunately, he did refund me my $2,500 deposit when I finally pulled the plug. The thing I do not understand about this is what others have already said about the numbers sold. The only way to make money on a machine is to sell as many as you can. Everything it takes to make a complete game is expensive and to make the effort profitable, you have to sell a lot of it. RAZA with less than 200 sales and a limited time to purchase it does not make sense to me. Small runs is what kills companies...look at JPOP. Even if he made the machines, he would have lost his behind on them. How can Deeproot make any kind of spare parts for support when only 160 machines are in the wild? They could be stuck with inventory for that machine FOREVER...dead money. I hope RM changes his mind about production and price for those who want one going forward if they do build more.

#15776 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I seriously think they were trying to create FOMO and....it might have backfired.

I think that strategy would have worked if they had machines on location for people to see and play and there was a buzz by those lucky enough to be near those locations who played it. But the contract for purchase and the insistence that there would be no more made once they closed the order window was and is not smart. I'm interested in AIW as are a lot of other people because I was interested in it when JPOP was touting it. I hope RM delivers for those who are in, especially for those who were in when JPOP offered it.

2 weeks later
#15911 3 years ago
Quoted from PoppyCock:

Oh but you are wrong! There are definitely guys who asked for a refund this go around and I did know this 18 days ago. I was only hoping to get some chatter going on here cuz the ones that I know of will not post anything like that here. I have no reason to lie about this. I don't really care if anyone believes this is not but it definitely true. No refunds just excuses unfortunately.

Of course there were no refunds, that was part of the purchase agreement.

#15914 3 years ago
Quoted from PoppyCock:

sir, deeproot offered full refunds back in December to those not interested in waiting for machines. To be paid within 30 days, 30 days has come and gone and no refunds just excuses

We must be talking about different things because RAZA was sold during that month and only that month with a no refund deposit. Regardless of when the machine goes out to those who purchased it, I don't get why they limited their sales. They might be communicating with the buyers because the other thread regarding this machine is quiet, but content with the wait.

#15926 3 years ago

Robert should have had special pricing for the month of December and limited sales to that month 1 to1.5K below what the game would sell for once they started shipping. He did say the additional 40 or so machines they are expected to run would be priced at figures nobody will pay. 13.5K for the XTRA I think. Why do that? Once the game starts shipping, raise the price 1K and sell as many as you can in a 1 to 1 1/2 year period. If sales peter out, make an announcement production is ceasing and move to the next game. Isn't that what everybody else does? Don't try to be innovative with making money, there's only one way to do that and that's sell as much of what you're selling as you can...and make it good so everybody wants it. I want them to be successful because there are some titles they have planned that interest me...Goonies and Food Truck are not one of them

#15930 3 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

TITLE TBD and Multiplex?

A working Magic Girl and what everybody else is waiting for; AIW.

#16009 3 years ago
Quoted from ViperVS:

Could it be, that they never intended to produce anything? Just hoped that some competitor (*cough* stern *cough*) would buy their hype train and glorious patents.

Why say your going to produce pinball machines then instead of just working on new designs and trying to sell them to companies that already exist? I believe they have every intention to make a unique machine, which they have with the pinbar and game play that accumulates tickets to purchase modes that further the progression in the game and give the player options to choose the mode. The game could be different every time you play it. The problem is getting it built in mass and then you add customization to each game. If the base game came with all the same stuff, adding a toy here and there or powder coated armor wouldn't be a problem. The different lightening options is like a completely different machine. They're learning as they go along... They just need to make good on getting it done and of course that is where people are skeptical.

1 week later
#16183 3 years ago

Robert did stop the promising part in the last email he sent to the pre-order folks. At least he said he would keep them updated each month and will email them again at the end of March. That is probably a good idea since there should be news to post at the end of each month that goes by. Some of the folks in the pre-order thread cannot stand this thread because of the negativity. I sat 6 years waiting for Wayne to deliver MM and fortunately was refunded my $2500 deposit when I finally had enough. That was the very first pre-order and my very last. JPOP almost got me with AIW, but the model of only making a few of any game was a HUGE red flag for me. The cost to make tooling and specialty parts requires big sales numbers to make sense. The entire business model kept me from making another mistake. I'm in for an Alien and I'm not worried when the distributor holds my money and not the business making the game. It's like having my money in escrow and I can most definitely live with that. I wish Robert had taken that route instead of taking money and telling the buyers they assume all the risk if a game is not produced. Probably would have sold more units with that approach.

#16186 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I was with you through that time with Wayne. He refunded the money, so folks got made whole again.
I had spoken with him many times and lots of emails. Everyone was frustrated about MM manufacturing. That was the toughest part. Seems nothings changed over the years in pinball.

At least Wayne didn't totally screw us and he did sell his rights for Williams/Bally to Planetary who did remake MM. I have absolutely no hard feelings towards Wayne even though things didn't happen the way they were supposed to.

2 weeks later
#16811 3 years ago

Viva La RAZA!!

#16859 3 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Wish we got a $1400 cheque in the UK

I wish I got a $1400 check in the US. I'm not getting a penny because I just made over $80 last year. I would have gotten all of it had they used MY TAXABLE INCOME and not what I made. I paid out $20k+ to the feds and state and made roughly $60 for me. I got to pay my neighbor their money!

#16861 3 years ago

John has lost his MOJO when it comes to game design. A lot of his renditions in paper and foam have reused items from previous games and many have made comments to this fact. Even if you want to use something from another game, you have to repackage it so it doesn't look like it was just moved from one machine and placed into another. The spinning discs with bumpers is the lamp from TOTAN and there are other things. He really should have brought in other designers to collaborate with to move his designs forward. That is what diversity is a plus and like minded is a negative. When you're a one person show, its hard to come up with stuff to top yourself or be unique again.

#16880 3 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

"Watching a Pinside group with pitchforks rooting for a pinball company to fail is just sad."

This says a ton about the owner!

Really don't want them to fail. Disappointing to see where things are and how they got here, that's all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pbwizard14.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution?tu=pbwizard14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.