• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 hours ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Firsthand information from the Magic Girl programmer. Posted by applejuice (6 years ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by PinMonk (4 years ago)

Post #5771 First RAZA gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #5874 RAZA video with more audible game sounds Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5926 First RAZA video with successful ramp completion Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5967 Another RAZA gameplay video Posted by flynnibus (4 years ago)

Post #6050 Closeup pictures of key playfield features Posted by Potatoloco (4 years ago)

Post #6133 Video of display animations Posted by LateCenturyMods (4 years ago)

Post #6329 Summary of Robert Mueller's interview Posted by jeffspinballpalace (4 years ago)

Post #6724 RAZA Gameplay video Posted by DS_Nadine (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#366 6 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Just rename it The Illusionist

Or just simply "Popadiuk" He's a legend in his own mind and a master at making money disappear

1 year later
#5399 4 years ago

The playfield looks cool! Cabinet and translite art has to be a placeholder I would think? If pricing is the same or less than a Stern Pro they have my attention. Hopefully the rules will be better than JPop's other games.

#5873 4 years ago

Can someone please post a link to a video where someone actually completes a ramp shot? Every video I've seen has been brick city. Game looks awesome but it doesn't look like the layout is any fun to shoot at least yet.

#5890 4 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

Alright so I got to spend some time on it. I’d like to think I have a little skill to me as I won the state championship in Oklahoma and was ranked in the top 40 on the stern circuit for most of the season. These are my thoughts and my thoughts only, I don’t have a horse in this race and hope every pinball that comes out is successful.
The game is prototype for sure. I can’t speak for coding (very early stages) or artwork as I believe it’s not final. Many of the shots weren’t doing anything or were very buggy which was expected. What I can speak to is playfield design and how the shots were.
The right ramp has a feature with 3/4 of the middle of it missing completely. If you don’t hit this ramp solid, it won’t make it around the ramp without the speed. It’ll simply fall back to the playfield.
The skill shot can actually go to the outlane, similar to Congo. The kickback then sent it back up to an area that is like a “snake feed” that goes back to the playfield.
There is a magna save. It’s more similar to Pharaoh’s magna save and the button is on the right side of the cabinet. It’s in such a place that you won’t accidentally hit it.
One of the main multiball features is started by hitting a roving target in the back. It was supposed to spell zombie and then start a multiball we believe, but the software never allowed for that feature to start.
Alright so, how does it shoot? Honestly after about 20 minutes, I went from being really excited to play it to an uh-oh feeling. The game plays very slow.
The orbits were moderate to hit. The shots seemed earlier on the flippers than expected. Both shots seemed to feed back to the opposite flipper, though it hung up a couple of times.
The ramps were another story. We kept count. I was 0 for 12 getting the ball successfully up the ride the coasters ramp (right ramp). Not 0 for 12 misses, that’s how many rejects I had from a trap. Either the flippers weren’t strong enough or that shot is only an on the fly shot. Across 4 players we were 0 for 20. I’ll try the other pin today and see if that was just a fluke.
The dare devil cycle shot was reject city. We’d get clean hits, the bottom would kinda lift up and the ball would just come back to the flippers. Think of the Death Star shot on Star Wars, but without the speed and it being closer to you.
The atomic shop shot reminded me of the orb shot on GOTG. It was a fairly safe return. I think a ball was supposed to lock behind it, but when I hit it nothing happened.
The spinning Oozie shot really killed any flow of the game for me. The ball seemed to spend more time being deflected off of it and trickle back to flippers. We hit it a few times to spin it, but the shot itself wasn’t satisfying and seemed to be more of a flow killer.
I’m going to play it some more today and try out the other prototype they brought. I’ll probably have some more thoughts on it later today. As of right now I’m underwhelmed by the gameplay itself. Compared to JP and Wonka on shot flow or just design, it’s not in the same ball park. If you love these games, then I’d probably advised to dial down expectations when stepping up to RAZA. Shots on this aren’t necessarily tight as it is that the geometry just makes the game play ok. When you do brick a shot (and it’ll happen more often then not) it didn’t feel like you were going to be punished for it.
I’m sure the entire package (art/sound) will come together come March. I wish Deeproot the best and hope they can back up everything that has been touted for the past couple of years. I really want my expectations to be matched and for this to be a kick ass pin. At this point though, with how it actually plays, it was underwhelming.

Thanks for the detailed write-up! That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. It's concerning that with the amount of time and resources that DR has spent on this game that it doesn't shoot more polished and smooth, especially with how much they like to talk themselves up.-werent they originally supposed to outship all manufacturers in 2019.

The good news is that they still have time to tweak and polish the game before it's released. I'm sure the finished product will be much better. It does seem impressive in many other ways so I'm excited to see what they do going forward.

#6125 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Brian Eddy, had done it all, maybe even Lawlor can do almost of all of it...but it's not an efficient system. I hate to say it but Jpop is showing us he can't be left unsupervised. I hope RM can see him for what he is and maybe use him in a smarter way, for example, let him just design concepts and mechs, then hand it off to other designers and mech engineers to realize.

If DR really has a dozen games in the pipeline, why not take away design duties from JPop and just make him the lead Art Director for all of the games. That's what he's best at and there should be plenty there to keep him busy! I don't think Nordman, Barry O or John Norris are especially known for having games with good art direction.

4 months later
#8174 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I don't know if that was a joke or not, if you follow their employees on linked in you can see several points in time where more than 1 person indicated their job ended.

I looked this up as well on LinkedIn. Seems almost all were from the Utah Studio. Wasn't there some mention in the past of this office being closed and everything being consolidated in their San Antonio office or am I thinking of something else?

1 week later
#8293 3 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

At what pace?
Didn't he also say they just received 15 board sets? That does not sound production ready.

I'd put money on Spooky building and shipping more games than Deeproot this year. Any takers?

2 months later
#8713 3 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

No... this is in regards to the COVID issue that set everyone back. A 3-4 month delay is very understandable.

We've already had a 3-4 month delay due to COVID. This is another 3-4 month delay on top of the original 3-4 month delay. They were initially supposed to start production in April (Same as AP). Somehow American, Spooky, Dutch, and CGC are all able to overcome global supply chain issues and produce games, yet Deeproot can't. JJP is moving and setting up a new factory half way across the Country and will also likely beat DR to the punch.

#8716 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Why are you worried? Do you have preorder money sent in?

I'm not worried. I just think it's time for Deeproot to shit or get off the pot. Aren't they the company that boasted that they would ship more games than Stern in 2019? I just want to see them start backing up some of their bluster. Honestly, if they would have taken a more humble approach instead of denigrating the other Pinball Companies in the process I would be more forgiving.

1 month later
#8844 3 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

There is a golden window for a release in October 2020 not sooner.

What makes you think that October is a golden window vs. Now? By October there will likely be another Stern, JJP, and possibly a CGC game to compete with. Right now is prime time as Stern can't even keep up with demand.

1 week later
#8951 3 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

A little glimmer of hope from Zach Meny at The Pinball Show.[quoted image]

The only thing that could conjure up a glimmer of hope would be a full parking lot at the Deeproot factory

1 month later
#10233 3 years ago

And the 2020 TWIPY for best Vaporware pinball goes to "Deeproot Pinball"!

#10309 3 years ago

So when does the next countdown to disappointment go up?

#10487 3 years ago

There's still time for them to switch back to their original logo and focus on new products to manufacture. Making buttplugs is easy!

deeproot_300-300x184 (resized).jpgdeeproot_300-300x184 (resized).jpg
#10635 3 years ago

All the game is missing is some leg bolt spikes to give it that finished look.

In all seriousness, that lockdown bar screen has got to be one of the worst ideas ever. Besides durability concerns it doesn't seem like you want to have more surface areas to touch while playing on route during a Global Pandemic. I can't imagine all of the hand sanitizers and cleaners are going to be good for that screen.

#10833 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

On the Future of Deeproot Pinball TWIP
On the Deeproot Pinball website is the following quote: “Every family needs a Pinball…every Pinball needs a family.” Deeproot is planning to manufacture machines “different from anyone else” in a way that will make it easier for more machines to make it into more homes. The machines will be more focused on families than hardcore pinball enthusiasts.
His words. There's your answer, the game is being rolled out to "families" and not us hardcore pinball enthusiasts.

Good luck with that... most "families" think pinball machines cost $1000-$1500 bucks.

#10967 3 years ago

Having non physical buttons on a pinball machine seems like a really bad idea. In the pic it looks like you have to touch the touchbar screen to turn on "magna save". How are you supposed to do this without having to physically look at the bar? I'm surprised with the number of experienced pinball designers and players that stuff like this was able to get through.

#10974 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

It looks like there is a very generous area of the touch screen devoted to activating the magna save. It would be hard for your thumb to miss it with your hand in standard playing position.

That might be fine if you're the kind of player that always keeps your hands in the same position while playing but I'm always slapping and bumping different parts of the lockdown bar and cabinet and trying to do a quick slap on the lockdown bar would be my natural tendency (similar to Stern action button). slapping a touchscreen would require some type of haptic feedback and it would have to be sensitive and responsive enough to work.

#11126 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm really shocked that there isn't more talk / excitement about a Who pin, that's pretty major IMO. I do understand that they've yet to produce one single fully-working game but The Who and many of those other upcoming titles could be really awesome if they can get their shit together!

There's no talk or excitement because it more than likely will never come to fruition much like Heighway's Queen pinball. If you look at the progress on RAZA since it was revealed last November until now there really isn't that much. There's way more work that needs to be done before it gets released including finishing up the prototype game, setting up a factory, acquiring all the parts, and hiring line-staff and training them. I think we are at least a year away from the possibility of games hitting customer's hands. The Who pin is a pipe dream at this point.

#11310 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

You jerk...why'd you have to go and remind me of the game I was supposed to get when I signed up?

90% of the reason to order a BHZA was the opportunity to have Ben come to your house to setup the game (vase and beer not included).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution?tu=mikes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.