View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Firsthand information from the Magic Girl programmer. Posted by applejuice (6 years ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #5771 First RAZA gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #5874 RAZA video with more audible game sounds Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5926 First RAZA video with successful ramp completion Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5967 Another RAZA gameplay video Posted by flynnibus (4 years ago)

Post #6050 Closeup pictures of key playfield features Posted by Potatoloco (4 years ago)

Post #6133 Video of display animations Posted by LateCenturyMods (4 years ago)

Post #6329 Summary of Robert Mueller's interview Posted by jeffspinballpalace (4 years ago)

Post #6724 RAZA Gameplay video Posted by DS_Nadine (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider konjurer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5746 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

That's why I don't understand why a manufacturer would show anything BUT they're finished product.

There are reasons for showing early and not showing at all. If you don't show it before going to productionj, you'd better be sure that you've your design and quality is rock solid. You're betting the farm on a big splash and the immediate hype cycle to sell you game.. By showing early, you get great feedback to fix things. I see DR is using Agile and Lean practices and these are key concepts in this school of thought (create feedback loops and pivot/adjust quickly). Down side is that you may dilute the hype cycle but for a new manufacturer I think this is a really smart approach.

#6409 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The “small batch” model doesn’t work because its too inefficient and increases per unit costs. You can make it work... you will just have much higher costs per unit, much higher overhead, much lower throughput, and thus much higher prices.

Small batch DOES work. Actually the "optimal" batch size is the best and that's not a large batch. Large batch is inefficient and costly. Large batch thinking is a hold over from the industrial revolution. Large batch means you carry expensive inventory on your books. It's harder to pivot to a new line when your set up for large batches. From a Lean-agile perspective, do to the smallest, most valuable thing first. Companies that create the infrastructure to execute in this fashion may very well eat their competition before they realize they're getting eaten.

#6532 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

As someone who'd internationally optimized manufacturing & development processes in automotive companies:

It is possible.

As someone who also does that in the aerospace industry I also agree. Pinball is just a microcosm of other larger industries. Titans are falling right and left. To think you can't be outsmarted but smaller, leaner, disruptive, more agile companies is dangerous thinking. Of course you can lean out the manufacturing process, improve quality, for less. There is little incentive for Stern to do that because people are throwing money at every new machine they reveal. Ripe for a disruptor to come along and shake up the market.

#6540 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How anybody could have faith that this is going to be a successful enterprise is a complete mystery to me.

Perhaps I can lift the shroud of mystery for you. I study and teach this stuff for a living and, while you may not like his style, I read the tea leaves as he knows exactly what he's doing and I think he is setting DR up for success. His team is designing for manufacturing as he is developing the product. He's laying down the architectural runaway for production (he calls the DR Package). When he talks about innovation hes not talking just about some crazy new mech never before seen, he's talking incremental improvements in the manufacturing process, materials and design. DR is learning, reacting to data and pivoting as they go. They're incorporating lean-agile thinking which is a deep and rich set of tools, principles and behaviors. He's not trying to develop one perfect machine but setting up products for different segments of the market. On top of that he seems to have the capital and, most importantly, a vision to pull it off.

#6542 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wow. Thanks for clearing that up.

No problem!

1 week later
#6772 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I haven't seen RAZA yet, but it sure sounds like a lot of people making excuses for a poorly designed ramp.

I'm am kind of surprised by how some games with tough shots are heralded as GOATs while others are pilloried as garbage for one difficult shot out of 7 or 8 major shots. There are a lot of great games with difficult shots. And yet I don't hear the same criticism of those games.

I want a diversity of machines and shots. I like machines that have a shot or two that is going to take me some time to master. I listened to Kaneda's interview with the state champion guy and while I agreed with some of his observations, I also have very different desires for a game than him.

#6773 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Reminds me of the Houdini-apologists.

Houdini will never leave my house. I love it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider konjurer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution?tu=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.