Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Firsthand information from the Magic Girl programmer. Posted by applejuice (6 years ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by PinMonk (4 years ago)

Post #5771 First RAZA gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #5874 RAZA video with more audible game sounds Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5926 First RAZA video with successful ramp completion Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5967 Another RAZA gameplay video Posted by flynnibus (4 years ago)

Post #6050 Closeup pictures of key playfield features Posted by Potatoloco (4 years ago)

Post #6133 Video of display animations Posted by LateCenturyMods (4 years ago)

Post #6329 Summary of Robert Mueller's interview Posted by jeffspinballpalace (4 years ago)

Post #6724 RAZA Gameplay video Posted by DS_Nadine (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrocket.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5489 4 years ago

@pin2d Do you happen to know (and have the authority to confirm) that the following from the TWIP deeproot article on 09/23/19 is still going to happen?

We also plan to release a teaser for our second title prior to the Houston Arcade Expo show. This teaser will showcase a level of cinematic animation never before seen with pinball, courtesy of deeproot Studios.

#5511 4 years ago

@pin2d Thank you for the answer and for everything you do in the pinball community.

#6160 4 years ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

I was not disappointed with RAZA when I played it. I got to play it several times and each time I walked away saying that was fun. Yes it feels like a prototype. Yes it feels like a JPOP game. It has potential. The ramp was hard to get all the way around but I made it several times and watched others do as well. It reminded me of the Katana shot on Deadpool. Had to be perfect to make it work. I am not sure if it was a flipper issue or what for I did not notice any other games on the floor that had flipper power issues due to so many games on. The staff was extremely nice. Half of them were young Engineers and were eager to hear feedback. It seemed to me that they have been working really hard on this and were excited to show it off. Steve Bowden is a great guy and knows what he is doing and I have faith that he will make this game a lot of fun. The screen was really cool. To me it was a glorified DMD. Unlike a Stern or Jersey Jack game it was easy to follow what was going on and I like the direction they are going with it. Excited to see what the final product is going to be like

crazylevi that band you were hearing was actually a mixture of my band and another band called Radio Cult. This was after our main set and two of their members jumped up on stage and we were just having fun and throwing songs up. That was me on drums.

I agree with everything said here. I played at least 20 games between both units and always wanted to go back to play more. Yes, it is "simple" right now (its the prototype). Yes The ramp was not 100% make-able every time. However, when I did make the ramp the joy and feeling of achievement was that much more intense. [Sidenote: I suggested that there could be a good drinking game in that you drink every time the ramp rolls back]

One of the staff in attendance was the Head of Engineering, who I had the pleasure of speaking with for a while. He told me some things that I won't share, but needless to say what was said illustrated that he isn't "head in the sand" and takes a serious, objective approach to his work. I also spoke with the VP of Operations for more than an hour just shooting the #*$@ and talking pinball in general. I really enjoyed that converstaion and it was a highlight of my time at the Houston Arcade Expo. He is a great person and seems to really know what they are up against, but is still confident that deeproot will bring value to the market. We spoke about different ways to reach out to and include the pinball community with the launch in March and beyond (all ideas for now) in a more "personal" way. Any frustrations I raised about current game design, he thought the same and always had deeper insight into the issue which showed they have already thought about it internally.

I could go on but I'll just leave it that my takeaway is that the layout is interesting and I had a lot of fun on the prototype, but what really gave me confidence in deeproot was the human conversations I had with the people there. I look forward to March and seeing what else they have in store and being able to support the great group of people who made it all happen.

EDIT: For anyone who continues to complain about not being able to make the ramp, Engineering did confirm that the deeproot games will have all the industry standard adjustability features, i.e. flipper coil strength. So if you really, really have to make it play like a Stern (cannon flipper) and tear up your game, you can do it.

1 week later
#6740 4 years ago

I continue to see comments about the ramp and I would like to clarify my feelings about it. As someone who has actually played many games on both prototypes, I can say I ultimately didn't mind the ramp wasn't makeable 100% of the time. Now that could change if it is coded such that you absolutely must fully complete the ramp on demand for modes, jackpots, etc., but in regards to just simply shooting it I had fun with the way it played at Houston.

I know the ramp is called the "Roller Coaster" (which also have rollbacks by the way; see link below), but to me the ramp was like another carnival game a la ring toss or whiffle ball in the cup. It was a challenge to make just like playing a "skill game" at a carnival would be, so when I did make the ramp it felt like a cause for celebration instead of just that shot you have to make right now. Either way, whether you take the ramp as a roller coaster or a minigame unto itself, both are on theme with the narrative of the game which I really appreciate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollback_(roller_coaster)

Again I want to reiterate that code could change my feelings on the ramp, but to me as a shot in the game the ramp is basically another toy. It has a very large, swooping radius, so it is really satisfying to see the ball whip around the loop part and you feel anticipation to see if the shot was good enough to make it to the top. The speed of the ball seems to change as it goes up the ramp due to the geometry (the radius of the curve and the slope/level of the ramp at any given point), which adds to the 'magic' of the game for me. I think we are all a bit spoiled or conditioned on/by modern Stern design philosophies. Ramp aside there is still a ton of stuff to shoot in RAZA. You take the ramp(s) out of a Stern and there is almost nothing left; Stern has to lean heavily on ramps in each of their games.

As a tournament player I want every ramp to be 100% makeable every time, but as a guy with an inner child that loves to play the game of pinball I had a lot of fun with RAZA and the ramp as it was. Just my two cents I wanted to throw out there to balance out all the complaints I keep seeing from people who have only seen various cell phone videos to draw conclusions from.

9 months later
#10513 3 years ago
meme (resized).pngmeme (resized).png
#11416 3 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

I heard a boomer summoning?!
How may I assist you?

DeadFlip Hey! Hipsters can't be Boomers!

2 months later
#14095 3 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

I'm really on a fence now deciding between the Arcade and Xtra versions. If you look past the bling (which I admit ain't easy) then it becomes a question of what material differences exist that would affect my enjoyment and use of the pin. Hard to say?

I got to play both versions at What's Brewing for about 2 hours uninterrupted on that Sunday. I can say that if you get the toys upgrade and rings/rubbers upgrade (if you like the way that looks) then the Arcade Edition RAZA will play exactly the same as the Xtra. If you want the playfield to be even closer throw in the 'GI Lighting' (i.e stadium lighting in the lid) and gameplay experience is basically 1 to 1.

That said if bling is in any way important to you the Xtra Edition was really, really good looking. The powder coat was almost that green/blue/purple color change you see on cars, the anti-reflective glass was crystal clear like it wasn't even there, the 4.1 sound system was extremely loud and clear, and best of all those lit side panels were gorgeous in person. My only hangup on the Xtra based on personal taste continues to be the floating backbox, but if you look closely they have to use that design with the lit side panels because the panels cover where the traditional backbox hinges would attach to the cabinet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrocket.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution?tu=jrocket and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.