Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Firsthand information from the Magic Girl programmer. Posted by applejuice (6 years ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #5771 First RAZA gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #5874 RAZA video with more audible game sounds Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5926 First RAZA video with successful ramp completion Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5967 Another RAZA gameplay video Posted by flynnibus (4 years ago)

Post #6050 Closeup pictures of key playfield features Posted by Potatoloco (4 years ago)

Post #6133 Video of display animations Posted by LateCenturyMods (4 years ago)

Post #6329 Summary of Robert Mueller's interview Posted by jeffspinballpalace (4 years ago)

Post #6724 RAZA Gameplay video Posted by DS_Nadine (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr_nybble.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5159 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Yeah, it's only the rich companies that can afford to defend patents. The most ridiculous patent, by far, is Christian Louboutin patenting red soles on women's shoes. He has successfully sued several other designers that use the color red. Crazy shit. [quoted image]

That's a design patent not a utility patent -- quite different things (actually I think it is a trademark not a design patent anyway).

I do concur that defending against a patent lawsuit is a shakedown business, the small guy cannot risk or afford to defend.

10 months later
#11314 3 years ago

There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

I got a much better impression from the videos than the stills. I'm more interested in cool playfield mechs and great playing games than the cabinet tech.

10 months later
#21634 2 years ago

Even if they were able to produce a game I would never give that narcissist megalomaniac a nickel. Personally, I think there was earnest certainty they could pull it off. These types believe their own bullshit.

The failure of Heighway should have been a clear warning about ‘reinventing’ things that are good enough. But a megalomaniacal narcissist of course thinks the other guys failed because they weren’t as clever.

#21852 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This thread is great for anyone who wants to start a pinball company. It offers the exact roadmap to failure, which is handy if you want to avoid it. It pinpoints exactly what NOT to do. This thread is worth millions to future pinball companies.

True, although Heighway provided a very similar lesson -- that was not heeded!

#21861 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Heighway actually had a factory & got some stuff built. I think the amount of money Andrew ran out of is tiny compared to what RM has wasted….but if you’re underwater by any amount, you can’t pay people…and if you can’t pay people, you’re done. The second RM hired tons of designers & a huge animation team, it was over.

I was more thinking about NIH syndrome and the cost of innovating stuff out of the gate.

#21903 2 years ago

This is what happens when people are deluded and think they have charisma and a ‘reality distortion field’ like Steve Jobs. Anyone else worked in a place where magical deadlines come from on high from the ‘visionary leaders’?

What is ironic is that we are at a point where pinball is so hot that Stern has a backlog a mile deep. If deeproot had just designed great games — no B.S. innovation that no one was asking for — they’d be in good shape. They had the design talent and experience. Hell, even that Cosmic Carnival company achieved more.

Dennis Nordman seems to be a good canary in the coal mine!

1 week later
#22911 2 years ago

Did he figure he could make so much easy money in pinball he could cover the fund liability and then some? He didn’t just straight up take all the money, he pissed it away on a vanity project that he must have figured would disgorge untold millions.

I see divorce #3 in the future…

#22965 2 years ago

Schadenfreude in action.

Now, who tipped the SEC? Will there be a whistleblower payout.

Ultimate irony would be it was JPOP awarded a few mil.

#22978 2 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

Why is this a civil matter instead of a criminal matter? (Serious question--I really don't know. Or am I reading the charge wrong?)

It is a civil matter -- read the Prayer for Relief at the end. All about returning ill-gotten gains and barring RM from future naughtiness.

Looks like the SEC are going to be proud owners of a few RAZA prototypes.

#22983 2 years ago

Any idea on how long before this goes to trial? What happens in the meantime -- are injunctions requested to freeze activity, or?

#22985 2 years ago

$60 million / 300 investors -- these are not rich folks. People's life savings were put into this fund hoping to make $30K-40K a year in retirement.

#23069 2 years ago

This is a civil case, not criminal. No jail. Read the "Prayer for Relief" to see what they are asking for as remedy.

Wife #2 feeling pretty good right now.

1 week later
#24979 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Let's be conservative and say he "only" spent 20 million on pinball. At 2k.profit per game (again, unlikely) that's 10k units just to pay back the investors to say nothing of a 5% or 7% ROI.
How long did it take JJP to sell 10k units? And that's all licensed games. Deeproot was mostly OG themes. How long would it take to hit 10k sales with TNAs, AMHs, October fests and Dialied Ins?
The math never worked which is why I guess it was a scam - because no reasonable person would invest in this model.

Keyword "reasonable". This was Dunning-Kruger writ large, with a healthy dose of narcissism, hubris and wishful thinking mixed in. Pinball was easy money, the profits were going to roll in...and near the end I'm sure sunk cost fallacy and Hail Mary joined the party.

#25015 2 years ago

Anyone who has worked in high tech knows exactly how this went.

Engineers: we can do a quarter of what you asked for in 9 months
Exec: great, look forward to 110% of the functionality in 3 months, plus I already sold it; thanks for your passion, you can expense pizza for weekend evenings

We all know whose fault it is when the project fails.

1 month later
#26125 2 years ago

A Steve Jobs wannabe without the talent. Surrounded by requisite yes-men and sycophants. Dunning-Kruger to the tune of $50 million. Can’t say anything in those insider tales was the least bit surprising.

5 months later
#29981 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Looks like a spelling bee with all those shot ladders…

Except they spelled 'PHARAOH' wrong!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr_nybble.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution?tu=dr_nybble and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.