Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Firsthand information from the Magic Girl programmer. Posted by applejuice (6 years ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #5771 First RAZA gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #5874 RAZA video with more audible game sounds Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5926 First RAZA video with successful ramp completion Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5967 Another RAZA gameplay video Posted by flynnibus (4 years ago)

Post #6050 Closeup pictures of key playfield features Posted by Potatoloco (4 years ago)

Post #6133 Video of display animations Posted by LateCenturyMods (4 years ago)

Post #6329 Summary of Robert Mueller's interview Posted by jeffspinballpalace (4 years ago)

Post #6724 RAZA Gameplay video Posted by DS_Nadine (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djd9617.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9465 3 years ago

Just chiming in to say that I also would welcome a crazylevi podcast.

#9466 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Deeproot could cure that in 2 seconds. However, instead, we have a riddle of a tease of part of a date with a unexplained graphic of a hulk that might fill in more in the future to lead us towards the final riddle, or more appropriately the next riddle. So to sum that up, Deeproot has chosen to not tell us anything. So this thread will continue to wander, which is directly on the topic Deeproot has chosen.

The fist belongs to Ned, the main antagonist (formerly Ben Heck) of the RAZA theme, no?

#9513 3 years ago
Quoted from insx:

What is retro about RAZA?

it was designed ages ago

3 weeks later
#12550 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'm out on GnR, so I'm still interested in seeing Raza.. Especially the price. If they can do what JJP cannot seem to: create a better machine and match stern's pricing, I'm likely in. I'm excited for Jpop's designs. I can't believe that he's completely incompetent as his games have a similar feel.
If old testament has the burning of witches, fuck, I'm IN!!!
"She turned me into a newt!"

Same here. Not being a huge GnR fan, RAZA actually does seem more appealing to me. However I honestly would probably only buy one second hand. Ya know, let the first owner work out the bugs/kinks first. I'm also hesitant about DR's note about putting ads in the machine. I don't want targeted ads, microtransactions, the ilk of youtube's ad videos before playing a game, etc. And their claimed "always connected" feature gives me the creeps.

#12552 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Imagine how many home-brews DR could have bought for the money they have in RAZA. They could have had a lineup bigger than JJP by now.

Honestly I think DR's efforts are not going to the game specifically, but instead going toward turning pinball machines into IOT smart devices... that may or may not be an avenue for ad revenue, microtransactions, etc. I hope not, but the spidey senses are tingling.

#12576 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Oh, if there is a single ad in the machine, the company should and will fail. I will tell every human I can that the company is garbage and I'll be telling the truth.
Where is this note you're referring to? I can drain this thread if it's true. Oh, the time I have wasted!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/deeproot-pinball-platform-pinbar-pinarmor-ecosystem-future-games-and-future-plans/
Under the "Features of PINBAR" section, 24th bullet down: "News, Ads, Custom Content".
I'm in the same boat; if there are ads on DR machines, I would never touch any of them. Wouldn't buy one. Wouldn't play one on location.

Pls, DR, no ads. Crediting partner companies by showing their logo, fine, but I don't want ads to buy toppers, rubbers, mods, etc for the machine. And I especially don't want targeted ads like those that the internet is infested with.

2 weeks later
#12894 3 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

They are hoping to ship before the end of the year and then there is this little doozy for a non-existent product "Some modes and features will require an extra cost or a support plan. More on this will be announced when we start taking orders."

Quoted from benheck:

"Tap the PinBar(tm) to spend your DeepBucks(tm) on this Magical Rubber Duck(tm) in the Retro Atomic Doesn't Contain Any Zombies John Just Wanted to Make a Carnival Game Because He's Obsessed With Python Angelo Who Ironically Hates His Guts Adventureland!"

Hah! I f****** called it! I also wonder where the money will come from for the wireless data plan so the machine can be "always connected".

7 months later
#18715 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I'm still thinking "strategic exit" but let's play Devil's Advocate with the PinBar rumor:
Q: Why would PinBar shut down everything else? If PinBar is the major issue then shouldn't the rest be figured out by now? Show us pics of the prepped cabinets!
Let's say your pinball company can't get, I dunno, speakers because of the shortages. You can still build all the games (until you run out of room) testing them with a speaker jig, then install the speakers once they come in.
Unlike speakers the PinBar seems pretty dimensionally integral to the deeproot platform. Removing it could affect the size of the glass lift, the cabinet, even the playfield (the area under the apron you don't see).
If those things are on hold what's left to build while you wait for the PinBar decision? The cabinet backbox? Pull the ramp molds? Wiring harnesses? Not all that much really.
So they're probably vomiting money trying to get PinBar to work while at the same time vomiting money on the backup plan oh and also the "small matter" of completely changing their RAZA game code. From Bowden's blog seems you were gonna spend way, WAY too much time on that f**king PinBar so what's the alternative?
All for 130 games. AGAIN.. . Could be worth it if they have a slam dunk killer LICENSED game ready to go once RAZA is done. But Food Truck? Machine Age? Yeti? Not gonna sell shit.

The only way I see them staying afloat is if they are concurrently building up licensed games to release in parallel with raza/other unlicensed themes. I have to imagine the goonies license (if they actually do have it) is going to expire before they can get one out the door.

4 months later
#26058 2 years ago

Perhaps I hold an unpopular opinion, but the electronics being shown do at least seem "innovative". Now, does that mean I think they're a good idea for production games? Oh god no. Not all innovation is a step in the right direction. I think I understand what DR was going for, and good for the engineers for giving it a go, but cost was obviously not a concern here. I honestly would have been interested in seeing how the electronics worked out in production. Seems they were going for ultimate servicability. They at least had some nice ideas, giving different population options. Machine assemble the surface mount stuff (cheaper than through-hole), but provide through-hole footprints so the avg joe can make repairs. But they were doing this on boards that I wager are cheaper than a soldering iron, and had TH parts on them anyway so... right idea, less than ideal implementation.

Quoted from Jvspin:

Can't see the solder joints on the pc board lasting long too.

You might be surprised! Good quality PCB and solder, with some mechanical considerations, should hold up under vibration just fine. Plus, connectors have a relatively small contact area, so they're prone to heating up under high current. And corrosion/oxidation can increase the resistance/heat over time. Solder joints have way more contact area though, and a little surface oxidation won't significantly effect it. That being said, I did a playfield swap on my meteor, and I took the time to add connectors to every mech; it made reassembly way easier. But I don't think connectors would help if you're just swapping a single part, per normal repair.

Maybe soldering a PCB to the coil tabs is a way of giving the user options?? They can either buy the pre-assembled board+mech, so they never need to touch a soldering iron, or they just unsolder the part, and replace with a standard new one.

Soldering this stuff is way easier and quicker than dealing with connectors, yet, as I learned today, apparantly customers for whatever reason are just far more comfortable working with connectors than solder.

I definitely am on board with their direction of in-house electronics assembly, but I think their economy of scale was waaaaay off. I would say pinball would be considered small to medium production qtys. Those machines are for places that need to pump out thousands of PCBs a day. And the and cost of the machines, their maintenance, setup time/costs and the training required reflect that.

#26133 2 years ago

That'd be me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djd9617.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution?tu=djd9617 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.