Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Firsthand information from the Magic Girl programmer. Posted by applejuice (6 years ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #5771 First RAZA gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #5874 RAZA video with more audible game sounds Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5926 First RAZA video with successful ramp completion Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5967 Another RAZA gameplay video Posted by flynnibus (4 years ago)

Post #6050 Closeup pictures of key playfield features Posted by Potatoloco (4 years ago)

Post #6133 Video of display animations Posted by LateCenturyMods (4 years ago)

Post #6329 Summary of Robert Mueller's interview Posted by jeffspinballpalace (4 years ago)

Post #6724 RAZA Gameplay video Posted by DS_Nadine (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgarrett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7665 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yes, that was my point. He said he was going to do this...but even if it were possible (which I doubt), it doesn't make sense to do it.
Unless, of course, he has some magical way of increasing the overall pinball market (like by producing a quality machine that can be sold at a mass-market price at Walmart and Best Buy).

My opinion is $5000 items don't sell at Walmart or Best Buy (I agree that would be a "magical way". I'm curious how they will get non-enthusiats to buy a multiple $1,000 at any traditional outlet. Spooky doesn't advertise and sells out of new titles in days. Industry shows and traditional distributor channels are how Spooky and Stern sell their games. Deeproot will be bucking the traditional channels - I'm curious as to how.

#7668 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Quite an insightful post and may not be too far from the truth. Lol This scenario is quite believable given JPop past history and Robert’s tendency to run away with his mouth. Remember, this is the same JPop that stiffed Zidware customers.
Raza, if improved from the almost useable prototype shown at Houston expo, still is not going to excite new customers at a price of $8k. Who will actually spend this much money on an unlicensed theme? Haven’t we learned from APs non licensed theme’s dismal sales? Raza will be no different, nor any of DR’s other announced titles, except possibly, Alice in Wonderland. And surely they are not going to license the Disney version of that title. Licensed themes are the only ones that sell these days. Without a top tier license, toys priced at near $10k don’t sell.
DR’s so called launch is going to be interesting to say the least, to see how much they have actually done in the past numerous years of existence.

Distributors to arcade operators will be the key to DR success. Licenses are indeed king. Spooky had/has a following with home use customers such that 100's of units sell in hours or days - spooky doesn't need many distributors or marketing, or attend many shows to sell their wares. Charlie makes what themes he likes and they sell well. There is a rare, and well deserved, non-license success at Spooky. AMH and Total Nuclear Annihilation offer proof that a good game design and software plus audio, even with old DMD use or old school score displays have sold well and TNA won best game at Midwest gaming classic no less. Stern has distributors an established operator customers both foreign and domestic.

My big question is how DR plans on breaking in to the existing distributors and how their new distributions channels will look.

8 months later
#13353 3 years ago

This game looks boring as hell. After all the design hype and team work, this is all they have? Yuck. The right half of the playfield is pretty much blocked by stuff. Shots look extremely poorly thought out. Don't see any way to identify, shoot, or complete modes. May be there is more to come on modes - but come on - this is terrible!

#13406 3 years ago

One thought to consider... what if this were early 2000's and deeproot brought out this game - we had one maker at the time, Stern. Stern was focused on cutting costs, we about lost all pinball markers. But then came along Jersey Jack with WIzard of Oz, a huge step up in innovation from screens and crystal balls with clips, melting witch all that goodness. Spooky came along and showed a boutique could make machines - it was a tough couple years for sales for Charlie, but then America's Most Haunted caught on at one of the CHicago Expos and Spooky took off, and now sells an entire 18 months production in a few minutes ala R&M.

Deeproot could have wowed people with these innovations of the back display and pinbar (maybe?) if it were 2003. JPops mechs, magnets and ramps are all recycled - the actual playfield experience seems like nothing more than a 90's / early 2000's rehash. I'm not even seeing basic software work on gameplay... are there modes are at this point - multiball? - Still seems mostly like a box of lights - like what WoZ was at the CHicago Expo, a year before it actually went into production. I think RAZA has at least a year before its ready for production, and that's if they have a Keith Johnson clone, who worked miracles to get WoZ to a production ready software package.

With all the manufacturers, even American Pinball, which also had an early relationships with JPop and many thought wouldn't make it, are now putting out quality pinball in volume - I'm talking about the 4 majors - Stern, JJP, Spooky and AP.

I want Deeproot to succeed. I'm just sorely disappointed with what I've seen in the video from San Antonio. Not that it doesn't have potential, and it sure looks sweet, but I can't get my head around the playfield and modes to make a judgment on how it will really play. The eye candy is great, but I'm not looking for an art piece - I want a game to play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgarrett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution?tu=dgarrett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.